New Chima Set and Book Found

Over on Amazon, there's a listing for the LEGO Legends of Chima: Character Encyclopedia that will be released in August. While the minifig is not revealed on the US site, on the French site we can see the figure is the Phoenix Firox, an exclusive for this book. Additionally, a new listing recently appeared on Brickset for 30264 Frax's Phoenix Flyer, a new Chima polybag set with an exclusive minifigure of its own. No word on how it will be made available, but if we hear anything we'll let you know!

View the full article

Still waiting to hear about US availability for 40116! I finally understand how tough it must be for polybag collectors having to hunt for even the teensiest bit of info on how, where, or when these sorts of sets will be made available. It's not a must-have for me, since I will probably end up getting most of the parts in other sets, but it'd still be good to know for sure whether the possibility of getting it is out there without having to order from overseas.

Anyway, Frax's Phoenix Flyer is interesting. It's rare for a polybag set to include an exclusive minifigure unless it's one of those promotional polybags that includes a minifigure and not much else (like video game preorder figs or May the 4th promotional figs). A lot of people are speculating on whether Frax might show up in other sets, like Ewar did last year.

Another thing about Ewar is that he was not really all that unique — he was near-identical to Equila, with the only difference being a lack of goggles on his headgear print. The same might be true of Frax and Firox. The only difference between them appears to be the heads and headgear, and even the heads might be identical if it turns out we're just seeing two different expressions on the same head.

This is not unheard of for an "exclusive" promotional fig: the Celebration Han Solo minifigure from the LEGO Star Wars Character Encyclopedia was the same as that year's regular Han Solo minifigure except for the torso print, and the Celebration Luke Skywalker and Celebration Darth Vader figs likewise only offered unique torsos with repurposed legs and heads. Naya from the upcoming LEGO Friends Character Encyclopedia doesn't even seem to offer a single unique piece. But those, at least, were meant to be the same character as the one that they shared a name and most of their parts with.

It's also somewhat odd that the Character Encyclopedia fig Firox is not a main character. At one time, figs in these books were generally main characters in new costumes, but the LEGO Group seems to be drifting away from this with a toy soldier in the Minifigures Character Encyclopedia (to be fair, the Minifigures line HAS no main characters), a clone special forces commander in The Yoda Chronicles, and minor character Naya appearing in the upcoming LEGO Friends Character Encyclopedia.

This means all bets are off for which character might appear in this year's LEGO Ninjago Visual Dictioanry. However, coupled with how little real exclusivity Naya and Firox offer, the unique fig in that might not be anywhere near as special as the Lloyd Garmadon minifigure from the LEGO Ninjago Character Encyclopedia two years ago (who boasted unique printing on his torso, legs, and headgear). Ah, well. At least I preordered that book when it was at a 32% discount, so if the fig is a disappointment I will still get the book at a reasonable price.

Still very much hoping that Nya's new costume turns out to be the Ninjago Visual Dictionary's exclusive fig!

Edited by Aanchir: Rachira of Time
  • Upvote 1

I'm still holding out hope that the Ninjago dictionary will come with Misako or Derith.

At some point you realize that you are but a speck in the Universe.

That you time in this worlds is but a blink.

You see the whole of reality as it unfolds before you.

You try to see how far you can reach, and it’s not that far past your face.

But then you come back from the brink.

You hold them in your arms again.

And you know that you are where their world begins.

You are their rock.

I'm still holding out hope that the Ninjago dictionary will come with Misako or Derith.

Dareth is entirely possible, especially since his hairpiece is now available in Dark Brown courtesy of the Ghostbusters set. So is Nya in her new costume. I wouldn't hold out hope for Misako, at least not in this dictionary. For one, her current design is still just a recolored torso rather than one designed specifically for her, which suggests there's no physical version of her in the pipeline yet. Secondly, she's just not that much of an iconic character. Nya is a longtime secondary character with a unique design and a close relationship to multiple members of the main cast (not to mention a relatively significant role in this year's story). Dareth is a less important character but has the advantage that he is, in fact, a Ninja, which means he'll appeal more to casual Ninjago fans than a character who may be important to those in the know but looks like she walked out of a theme like Pharaoh's Quest.

Then again, it's entirely possible we'll just get another version of one of the main Ninja this year. Here's hoping it's not just another Zane.

• Upvote 1

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Dareth is entirely possible, especially since his hairpiece is now available in Dark Brown courtesy of the Ghostbusters set. So is Nya in her new costume. I wouldn't hold out hope for Misako, at least not in this dictionary. For one, her current design is still just a recolored torso rather than one designed specifically for her, which suggests there's no physical version of her in the pipeline yet. Secondly, she's just not that much of an iconic character. Nya is a longtime secondary character with a unique design and a close relationship to multiple members of the main cast (not to mention a relatively significant role in this year's story). Dareth is a less important character but has the advantage that he is, in fact, a Ninja, which means he'll appeal more to casual Ninjago fans than a character who may be important to those in the know but looks like she walked out of a theme like Pharaoh's Quest.

Then again, it's entirely possible we'll just get another version of one of the main Ninja this year. Here's hoping it's not just another Zane.

I'd like to see a joke call out with Mesako "Book come with author!" but you make a good point about how un-ninjago she is. I make one with a zoo keeper torso and it looks the part enough to fool my kids if I put her next to Wu or Loyd.

At some point you realize that you are but a speck in the Universe.

That you time in this worlds is but a blink.

You see the whole of reality as it unfolds before you.

You try to see how far you can reach, and it’s not that far past your face.

But then you come back from the brink.

You hold them in your arms again.

And you know that you are where their world begins.

You are their rock.

Huh, very interesting. The "Firox" figure looks pretty cool, if a bit uninspired.

To add to the Ninjago figure discussion, I'm hopping on-board the Dareth support train.

-Mesonak

• Upvote 1

The Three Virtues YouTube Channel

-----

the3virtuesbanner.png

-----

Check it out for laughs, discussion, and more.