Renaming of Toa Dume and Toa Nidhiki sets

I think it's fairly common knowledge by now that the Special Edition Toa Norik and Toa Iruini sets which were released in 2005 were originally intended to be Toa versions of Dume and Nidhiki, so my question is:

Why did Lego decide to change the characters around, and why to Norik and Iruini?

VBWj75sh.png

Well If I recall correctly GregF sayd in the Official Greg Discussion that the sets were named Toa Dume and Toa Nidhiki for like 10 seconds and then they decided to change it, my guess is that the Toa Dume set was just named like that because it was the mask the set designer chose to use. With the Toa Nidhiki set I believe it was intended that maybe he would have appeared on the story because his mask definately looks inspired by that of a Vahki.

In the end maybe the Bionicle Story team realized it would have been a bit hard to include those two Toa in the Story and then decided to use the Rahaga Norik and Iruini.

• Upvote 4

Well If I recall correctly GregF sayd in the Official Greg Discussion that the sets were named Toa Dume and Toa Nidhiki for like 10 seconds and then they decided to change it, my guess is that the Toa Dume set was just named like that because it was the mask the set designer chose to use. With the Toa Nidhiki set I believe it was intended that maybe he would have appeared on the story because his mask definately looks inspired by that of a Vahki.

In the end maybe the Bionicle Story team realized it would have been a bit hard to include those two Toa in the Story and then decided to use the Rahaga Norik and Iruini.

This is scary accurate to what I was going to assume. I never read the Greg Discussions, for reasons, but I did immediately draw my attention to the masks themselves.

Norik and Dume have the same mask of course. And then we have the Vahki head being a close resemblance of Iruini's Mask.

• Upvote 2

Like many have said before, the two characters of Dume and Nidhiki had become pretty much irrelevant, story wise. I do wish we has gotten the other toa Hagah, if just to complete the team.

Edited by PyroLizard Prime
  • Upvote 1

Chuck Norik is no match for Bruce Lhikan!

If you use correct grammar in your posts (or try hard to), place this in your signature. Join Myst's campaign for correct grammar usage on BZPower!

I was under the impression that the "Toa Dume" and "Toa Nidhiki" names for these sets were merely rumors.

It says it on BS01, so I presume it's confirmed. Here's the link to the Nidhiki page: http://biosector01.com/wiki/index.php/Nidhiki#Set_Information. I admit that I originally saw it in YouTube comments, but when I checked on BS01, there it was.

VBWj75sh.png