Pofaru, Toa of Magnetism

14431271556_e9c5b15d4f.jpg
Flickr     Brickshelf

Pofaru (POH FAH roo) is the Toa Nala of Magnetism and protector of Onu-Koro on Nala Nui. Pofaru was the first of the Toa Nala to be transformed and the only one transformed by Energized Protodermis, which he was exposed to in a mining accident. Although he exudes calm and friendliness, deep down the ramifications of his odd transformation weigh on him, and he lives in fear of what the future may bring.

I made the name Pofaru using Tolkien's Matoran Dictionary. Here's what the Pofaru entry would look like:

pofaru |n.cmpd.| miner of magnetic ore; lit. “oriented toward magnetic stone” [pofaru < po-fa-ru, from po “elemental stone”, fa “elemental magnetism”, and ru “orientation; oriented toward; intention”]

C&C greatly appreciated!

Edited by Infrared
  • Upvote 3

He has a nice custom design, but I feel the orange and light blue are out of place. But overall, you did a great job on him and I adore his custom femurs.

To be honest, they wouldn't feel so out of place if they were more widely distributed, and if the number of neutral colors was cut down on. I'd say you could have black, or gray, or gunmetal, but probably not all 3. (And please do not mix new and old grays if possible.) The build itself is really neat. But maybe different feet and a different weapon? The current ones just feel a little... Underwhelming. And while I like the torso shape it has some protruding bits that throw it off a bit, especially in the lower torso. Overall I'd say it's still better than anything I've done. Edited by Pranciblad

I'd just like to say I noticed and love how his weapon looks like a horseshoe magnet. But yeah, I'd recommend tweaking the colors. Replacing pale blue and orange with red and medium blue would also make him more magnetism-y.

( The bunny slippers hiss and slither into the shadows. ) -Takuaka: Toa of Time

What if the Toa you know best were not destined to be? Interchange: The epic begins

He has a nice custom design, but I feel the orange and light blue are out of place. But overall, you did a great job on him and I adore his custom femurs.

Thanks! He was actually originally just going to have the blue and not the orange, but I added the orange as a temporary part and I just kept going with it. Ah well, perhaps I took a bit too much of a risk with them. :P Do you think it would look better with just blue, or perhaps if the colors were more distributed like Pranciblad suggested?

To be honest, they wouldn't feel so out of place if they were more widely distributed, and if the number of neutral colors was cut down on. I'd say you could have black, or gray, or gunmetal, but probably not all 3. (And please do not mix new and old grays if possible.) The build itself is really neat. But maybe different feet and a different weapon? The current ones just feel a little... Underwhelming. And while I like the torso shape it has some protruding bits that throw it off a bit, especially in the lower torso. Overall I'd say it's still better than anything I've done.

Thanks for the feedback! Do you think maybe if I worked some blue and orange into the shoulders it would look somewhat better (maybe as a bonus I could try to cover up that awkward transition between grays as well)? In regards to the different neutral colors, I agree, but unfortunately there just aren't the right parts in the right colors (or if there are, I don't own them) to do away with all of them; same with regards to the use of gray/blay (specifically, his Hau and this piece, which supports his shoulders, were only made in gray, and the shoulder parts were only made in blay). :| I did make an effort to keep the torso and head all gray and the limbs all blay to make it less noticeable, but in some areas, especially the shoulders, it's more obvious. Maybe I can beef the feet up a bit, same with the weapon.... Also, what areas specifically do you think protrude too much? Because he's supposed to look somewhat jagged and unrefined....

I'd just like to say I noticed and love how his weapon looks like a horseshoe magnet. But yeah, I'd recommend tweaking the colors. Replacing pale blue and orange with red and medium blue would also make him more magnetism-y.

I wish I could say that was the intention with the weapon, but I honestly hadn't noticed that until you said it, so thanks, that's what it is now. :P Once I started with the with the whole orange/blue thing the intent was more to try something new than look especially magnetism-y :P, plus it would balance out the color of his heartlight and eyes... if I balanced it out more as suggested above, do you think it'd look better?

Thanks for the feedback, everyone!

Thanks! He was actually originally just going to have the blue and not the orange, but I added the orange as a temporary part and I just kept going with it. Ah well, perhaps I took a bit too much of a risk with them. :P Do you think it would look better with just blue, or perhaps if the colors were more distributed like Pranciblad suggested?

I think it would look good if he was just gunmetal and black. But that's just me.

Gunmetal and black would be too boring. I think the color scheme looks good as it is, though the distribution could be better; a little more trans-orange would do wonders.

Anyway, that custom torso is sweet. I'm a big fan of torsos that use technic detailing in the place of Bionicle armor, and you did it very well here.

Overall, an excellent MOC.

"I pitea the fool!"

(quote by Chro)

98.7% OF BZPOWER MEMBERS HAVEN'T SEEN MY BUCKET 

IF YOU ARE ONE OF THE 1.3% THAT HAS SEEN MY BUCKET, COPY THIS AND PASTE IT INTO YOUR SIGNATURE

I MISS MY BUCKET