Golden Mask properties

Okay so everyone knows about the golden masks. The Toa Mata collected six masks for each of them, and then placed them into Kini Nui and received new golden masks for themselves that had all the powers of their original six, with stronger abilities and such. All this happened right before they descended into Makuta's lair. Yet some things about those golden Kanohi have me wondering. When they formed Toa Kaita, the masks the Kaita had were the combination of the original masks it's Toa counterparts wore. But each Toa was wearing a mask with 6 powers, wouldn't the Kaita just have a boosted version of the Golden mask?

And also, even though all the golden masks have the same abilities it appears that their properties are dependent on their shape. When each of the Toa got theirs, they (conveniently) got golden masks that were in the exact shape as the mask they originally had. That probably was because of the sets and so you can tell who from who, but still... also, when they become Toa Nuva, they're wearing their golden masks, but when exposed to EP the masks change into a Nuva version having the power of the mask they're shaped as. I don't know, I just found that odd, story wise. Yes I know it's because of the sets, and it made the Toa have to collect more masks, and etc, but there must be a written code into the golden kanohi that even though it has a bunch of powers, Tahu's think's it's a Hau, so when exposed to EP it changes into a Hau Nuva, no extra abilities. Or something like that haha... what do you guys thing? :)

Animation_Mangaia.png.e38a5644c8a08bfd4c488514025b5017.png

Formerly Iron_Man5

If I had to guess I'd say that there are no Golden Nuva Masks, so when the Toa Mata fell into the EP their Kanohi transformed into the regular version of their new mask.

I don't think that would be an issue, because I'm sure there weren't any Protocairns, Takutanuva or Rahkshi beforehand yet destiny has it to make those through EP... there's no reason why one couldn't have a golden Nuva mask just like the originals.

Animation_Mangaia.png.e38a5644c8a08bfd4c488514025b5017.png

Formerly Iron_Man5

I'm pretty sure the reason the Toa Mata's golden masks were the shape of their original masks by default is that when each Toa got their second mask, their original mask was the first to be transported back to their Suva (at least, judging from page 16 of the first comic). So once the final mask was brought to the Toa Suva, the golden mask would assume the shape of the first mask it was in contact with.

The transformation of the golden masks into Kanohi Nuva could have been a matter of the masks "remembering" which mask had been the first collected, or it could have just been because destiny thought that those were the masks the Toa Nuva ought to have.

As for why the mask powers got downgraded by the Toa Mata's transformation into Toa Kaita... no telling.

• Upvote 1

I'm pretty sure the reason the Toa Mata's golden masks were the shape of their original masks by default is that when each Toa got their second mask, their original mask was the first to be transported back to their Suva (at least, judging from page 16 of the first comic). So once the final mask was brought to the Toa Suva, the golden mask would assume the shape of the first mask it was in contact with.

The transformation of the golden masks into Kanohi Nuva could have been a matter of the masks "remembering" which mask had been the first collected, or it could have just been because destiny thought that those were the masks the Toa Nuva ought to have.

As for why the mask powers got downgraded by the Toa Mata's transformation into Toa Kaita... no telling.

Could have been similar to the adaptive armor. According to BZ01, if the Toa Nuva in their Adaptive Armor formed a fusion it would not have the armor that its components wore. So the same might be the case with the Golden Kanohi.

Edited by Collector1

The idea that the Aki and Rura don't have the powers of the component masks is a myth; I got called out for that in another topic. *goes to find*

So they'd both have all six mask powers, then? That's news to me.

It's on Bs01:

The Kanohi Rua was the Great Mask of Wisdom. It gave its user the powers of Levitation, Water Breathing, and X-Ray Vision. A Rua can be formed by merging a Miru, Kaukau, and Akaku together. The powers could be activated separately or in combination. The mask appeared as either a silver Kanohi Miru or as a silver Kanohi Hau. If the Rua were to be taken off of its Toa Kaita user, it would continue to stay together for as long as the Kaita existed.

And, just because:

19. What are the powers of Aki and Rua? I know Valor and Wisdom, but anything else?

Again, I think it was probably three powers each.

6.With an Aki or Rua, are the mask powers activated all at once, or can you activate them individually?

6) You can activate them individually

Tangential confirmation with wiki support good enough, I think.

fishers, maybe I'm blind, but Aanchir was asking if Aki and Rua each had six powers. Those quotes all say three.(Which may have simply been an oversight by the story team, but it's not entirely a downgrade since you could use all three at once, unlike the goldens which could only use one at a time. Pros and cons.)

Anyways, I just figured it was to emphasize teamwork (both out of story, and "destiny's intention"). With the Nuva masks the way they were, in order for everybody to have a power, at least prior to their collecting more masks later, the whole team had to be together.

Could also be to avoid them being overpowered in case they went bad (again, both out of story and in; perhaps a limit placed in protodermis for masks or something).

BTW, this topic was reported as being dupish to the other one with almost an identical title. The rules aren't really crystal clear in this case, since although they're both about the golden Kanohi, they are at least asking different questions. This could have gone in the other topic, but on the grounds that you'll probably get more replies thus better answers if it's on its own, I'm going to allow it in this case. :)

• Upvote 2

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

I think a golden Kanohi retains its shape of the original Kanohi from the Toa because it is what that Toa has been using all along, and since the Kanohi and the user are somehow connected (otherwise how can the wearer use one) there is a slight influence on the properties of the Kanohi.

-I was infected for the most part on April the 1st 7.gifBEWARE

Before Arthaka was ever introduced to the story, we had the question of "where did all the Kanohi Nuva suddenly come from, and how do the Toa even know about them?" My own head-canon at the time was that the Energized Protodermis couldn't handle upgrading into a Golden Nuva-level mask, so it instead split the Golden Kanohi apart until only one was left on the Toa's face (their original) and the EP upgraded each split Kanohi separately. Then the energy backlash or something caused the unworn Kanohi Nuva to scatter/teleport across the island, much like the Nuva Symbol suddenly appeared to form or teleport in on the Suva.

All those years ago, I figured the Nuva symbol light beam explosion thing in the animations would be keeping the Kanohi Nuva from automatically appearing on the Suva during that time, and thus the Toa were forced to go search for them. Now that it's confirmed that Arthaka made and distributed the Kanohi Nuva, though, we're left with the question of where the extra powers in the Golden Kanohi went. Maybe they were just consumed by the process to upgrade a single power?

Edited by Katuko

Now that it's confirmed that Arthaka made and distributed the Kanohi Nuva, though, we're left with the question of where the extra powers in the Golden Kanohi went. Maybe they were just consumed by the process to upgrade a single power?

Yeppers. EP can utterly destroy you -- it has no trouble destroying/disabling a few extra powers in a transformation. :P That's the lucky outcome lol.

• Upvote 1

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)