Songs for the world of BIONICLE

Bfahome

I'm doing some music.

As of posting this topic I've made three, just having finished "Submerge".

For a while now I've been thinking about composing some things.  So I did.

I'm just using GarageBand and just starting out, so they're kind of basic, but the goal for this isn't a polished finish, but to capture some of the feeling of events and places within the BIONICLE canon.

Mata Nui:

1. Across the Treetops (1:58)

2: The Great Mine (1:38)

3: Submerge (1:55)

4. The Swarm (2:03)

e 6/27: The Swarm added

Edited by Bfahome
  • Upvote 6

OpAXNpl.jpg

This sound really crisp! I love Submerge, it sounds very organic. Did you design the sounds too?

I have a feeling that you're going fot that mnolg-vibe, are you? It's not the same overcompressed, highly effected stuff that Justin Luchter did, but the minimal concepts are kinda alike.

Oh, btw, maybe a melody to go on top would be nice. Something in a mixolydian or pentatonic scale would sound very Bionicle-ish.

banner1.png

These songs sound really good! I can see how these would fit in the Bionicle universe!

I know it's kind of a bit too early for me to ask, seeing as how I haven't really made a lot of significant progress on my fan game, but once I get to the point where it's playable, would you mind being a composer for my project?

Awesome work dude, that's some brilliant stuff right there. The sound on Across the Treetops captures the jungle feel of Le-Wahi in MNOG while still keeping a technological vibe, and almost reminds me of the Le-Koro band. The Great Mine is incredibly slow and deep, but distinctly different from the original MNOG piece. I'm not sure what Submerge is for, but it kinda reminds me of the VNOG music in 2006 with that lone guitar. Keep it up man!

Interesting. I appreciate the electronic components — it's one of those defining characteristics of the earlier music that later music often tended to leave out. However, it would be great if some of the electronic sounds were more mechanical than digital. When I hear "Across the Treetops", I visualize a computerized world like in Megaman Battle Network, Tron, or Code Lyoko, not a biomechanical world like the ones that characterized BIONICLE. The sounds at the beginning of "The BIONICLE Music" or the sound effects for character movement in the Mata Nui Online Game are very distinctively BIONICLE, and it would be great if the music used some of those sorts of sounds on top of the more computery sounds.

I've dabbled a bit in Garage Band just so I can say I've tried it out, but I really don't have any talent for musical composition. So I definitely know how much effort must have gone into these. I very much hope you continue to develop BIONICLE music! There's not nearly enough musical composition in this community.

• Upvote 1

Right, so, I've been meaning to make a reply here for several days now...

Oh the whole, I really like what you've done here. It definitely sounds like something from a maybe slightly more modernized MNOLG soundtrack. I really get a Minecraft kind of vibe from these as well.

The Great Mine just sounds dark and ambient, much like a cave, and I like "water drop" sounds. Not sure if you were going for that intentionally, but it certainly helps push the track's title.

Across the Treetops definitely sounds reminiscent of the Le-Koro band. As Aanchir said, it does seem a little more cyber-esque, but I don't mind that personally.

Submerge is probably my favorite of the three. I'm a sucker for strings like that. It sounds a little oriental at times as well which can be very hit-or-miss for me. Luckily you hit it. :P

Takuma Nuva

76561198002924926.png

If The Good Lord had intended us to walk

He would not have invented roller skates.
-- Willy Wonka

Did you design the sounds too?

I have a feeling that you're going fot that mnolg-vibe, are you? 

No, GarageBand doesn't have many of the capabilities of higher-end music software.  You pretty much have the built-in instruments, though with them you can change how they function as well as adding effects to them.  So I don't design the sounds, I just play around with them.

Yes, the MNOLG/II music inspired a lot of what I did.

I know it's kind of a bit too early for me to ask, seeing as how I haven't really made a lot of significant progress on my fan game, but once I get to the point where it's playable, would you mind being a composer for my project?

I'd rather not commit to anything right now.  This project basically amounts to me messing around in a sandbox.

I'm not sure what Submerge is for

It's the Ga-Koro piece.

However, it would be great if some of the electronic sounds were more mechanical than digital. When I hear "Across the Treetops", I visualize a computerized world like in Megaman Battle Network, Tron, or Code Lyoko, not a biomechanical world like the ones that characterized BIONICLE. The sounds at the beginning of "The BIONICLE Music" or the sound effects for character movement in the Mata Nui Online Game are very distinctively BIONICLE, and it would be great if the music used some of those sorts of sounds on top of the more computery sounds.

I can see what you mean.  It wasn't initially a "BIONICLE" song, just something to enter in the thing.  But when I went back to listen to it, it sort of gave me this feeling of flight, which I then realized could easily fit into the Le-Koro setting.  That's what spawned this project.

Listening to it again, I do thing the main instrument should sound more flute-like, but I think I'm going to leave it as it is.

Also, having played with GarageBand some more, I do think I might be able to manage some more mechanical sounds without resorting to sampling.  I gave it an initial go in "The Swarm".

The Great Mine just sounds dark and ambient, much like a cave, and I like "water drop" sounds. Not sure if you were going for that intentionally, but it certainly helps push the track's title.

Well, they weren't meant to be water drops but sure let's go with that!  (I wanted something higher to go with the bass, to sort of give the feeling of a long, dark cave punctuated by lightstones along the wall.  But the water idea is better.  It's water now.)

New track!  Skipping the other Koros for now in favor of a Bohrok theme.  Tried out some fun sound tricks on the drum track for a taste of the mechanical aspect.

OpAXNpl.jpg

New track!  Skipping the other Koros for now in favor of a Bohrok theme.  Tried out some fun sound tricks on the drum track for a taste of the mechanical aspect.

Good job on this one! The mechanical feel is more present here indeed. I love the dark piano melody, which is kinda Cryoshellish, and maybe that's just right for the Bohrok swarms.

I suggest playing around with rythmic elements more. In the piano part you already did that by using that push on every second, third and fourth note. That really works.

Edited by Oroki

banner1.png

• 2 weeks later...

The Swarm sound amazing and would be great as background music for Ga-Koro or Ga-Metru. The Swarm, awesome and would be great for a one on one battle or a running away music.

The Great Mine is okay but the music don't fit with the title in my opinion, it sound like something you would hear at a bear or something but not a mine.

:akakunu: My Topics :akakunu:

MOCs: Construct-a-Astronaut

:voyanui: Find Me On :voyanui:

Flickr 10.gif Twitter 10.gif Youtube