Makings of a Hero

Toa Sialo

So, I was thinking, I'm Toa Sialo. and every toa (with the exeption of the Toa mata) were once Matoran. So, this is the story of Sialo the Matoran. this is also the prequel of a story I'm working on (hence the cliffhanger). Hope you like the story! :biorules: :flagaus: :smilejala: :smiletol: :smilehaunu:

Toa Sialo out! :rollaway:

click HERE to go to the review page.

Prologue

Sialo was working on the village of New Ta Koro. He hummed happily as he put the finishing touches to his large hut-home. He looked around, the firelight reflecting off his crimson armor, happy with the progress. He looked out the window. Other Ta Matoran were fretting over the fact that their heroes, Toa in golden armor, all so powerful vanquishers of evil had gone missing. Sialo scoffed. Most of them hadn’t fought a single rahi in their life. They didn’t know what it was like to fight to ever breathe again.

Sialo’s smile wavered under his mask. He was slipping into the past dilemmas of his past. The struggle to live and, the most curious of all, the wonder of how he managed to survive the countless brushes with eternal darkness. Sialo sighed. Well, he thought, at least I might be able to learn more about this… ability of mine. Sialo allowed his mind to wander through time, to the day after being rebuilt.

Chapter 1: Unlikely friends

1401 years ago

Sialo stared at the fast reseeding island, and felt a vast amount of spite.

He had been sent to the island of Karzahni by his Turaga, the village elder, to be rebuilt after a Rahi riding incident. While he had been saved, he was now a two and a half foot tall, hunched over weak afterimage of what he had once been. Karzahni, the ruler of the island, sent his failed projects to the Southern Continent. However, the ruler tried to compensate for his lack of skill by giving Sialo two identical weapons. Sialo held one up. Karzahni had called the flame slicers, and they were designed accordingly. They appeared to be an intricate flame entwining itself. It had a warm, powerful glow about it. Sialo loathed them.

He had been on the boat for several minutes with the other afterimages. He was being sent to a place that was strange, different, and not his home. He could never return to his island, to his friends, to his vast collection strange rocks. He never knew the name of his home island. He never asked. It was unimportant. Until now. Sialo sunk to the ground, wishing the world away. He cursed the great Beings, the Great Spirit and Karzahni. But mostly himself.

Hours passed before anyone took notice of him huddled in a ball at the edge of the boat. If fact, the only reason the newcomer noticed Sialo was because he had tripped over Sialo. Sialo’s mask almost fell off.

“Hey, watch it, rahi bones!” snarled Sialo. As he tried to get up

The newcomer held out his hand. “Sorry, but I don’t handle well on sea vessels.”

Sialo glared at the newcomer. He was small like him, but slightly smaller. He was hunched over, and Sialo would never have known he was a Ko Matoran, an ice villager, if not for the stark white body and feet. There was an unspoken rule with Ta Matoran; try not to socialize with Ko Matoran. If they could get their heads out of the stars. They are everything the Ta Matoran aren’t. Ice and fire don’t go well together. And ta Matoran are fire Matoran, and Ko are that of ice.

The Ko Matoran still had his hand out. It was getting awkward.

“What is it?” Snapped Sialo.

The newcomer seemed to ponder over this for a moment. “Well,” He said in a false uncertain voice, “it appears that I am, and correct me if I’m wrong, but I’m trying to help you up.” His face cleared. “That’s it! I’m trying to help you up!” a smirk now covered the ice blue mask he wore.

Sialo smiled. This newcomer wasn’t like the other Ko Matoran. He had the attitude of a Po Matoran, a will like stone. And he liked Po Matoran. He took the hand and stood up.

“So, what’s your name?” Sialo asked meekly.

“Dethunac. I take it you’ve taken a liking to me, so would you care to tell me yours?” Replied the Ko Matoran smartly.

“I’m Sialo. Nice to meet you.”

And for the rest of the boat trip, Sialo and Dethunac talked and told of their life to each other. It was the beginning of an incredible friendship.

Unknown to them, they were watched the whole trip by a mad Onu Matoran. He had been sent to Karzahni to get rid of him. Now, he would spread misery in the new land. And no one would know of his insanity until they begged for mercy.

Four hundred years passed before anything “exciting” happened. It started with the chilling of the air, then a violent earthquake struck the world, sending a massive portion of the Southern Continent shooting up out of the known world, passing through an ocean before settling, leaving the island alone in and uncharted ocean that stretched in all directions. The Survivors called the island “Voya Nui.”

Among the survivors were Sialo and Dethunac.

Chapter 2: Beginning or End?

624 years ago

Sialo hung his newest creation, a fishing trident, on the shelf in his workshop.

Three hundred and seventy seven years had passed since Voya Nui skyrocketed into this new world, and survival was the key. After a few hundred years, the lava from the volcano Valmai, which had also risen with them, cooled and formed a new landmass, and the Matoran survivors build a metropolis upon it. The city was nameless, but it didn’t need one. It was the only city on the island, where dozens of Onu, Ta, Ko, Po, Le and Ga Matoran could all live together.

“Sialo!” Shouted a sharp, feminine voice. Sialo looked up.

“Dalu! I just finished that trident you ordered! I’ve got to say, these Flame Slices are gifts from Mata Nui.” Sialo replied.

Dalu sighed. “I don’t care about the Flame Slicers. I just need to spear some stupid fish!”

Sialo was silent for a few moments “You need to get that anger under control. Seriously. It’s very un-Ga Matoran. You’re angrier than a Zyglak. It’s scary.” He said eventually.

Dalu sighed. She had heard it all before. “I know, I know. Oh, I miss Turaga Jovan. He would know what to do.”

Sialo was silent. Turaga Jovan had died in the event that sent Voya Nui to this strange sea. Many others had died as well, but the majority survived. However, Dalu’s attitude hadn’t improved. It never did.

“Well anyway, the trident will be twenty-five widgets.” Sialo tried to say casually.

“Twenty-five? You said twenty!” Dalu screeched.

“Yeah, but I’m running low on supplies. You know, it’s not easy to get solid Protodermis these-” Sialo was cut off by a great earthquake, which tipped the world.

“What’s happening?” Shrieked Dalu.

Sialo ran to the window. Voya Nui seemed the right way up, but the city seemed tipped, then it hit him.

“We’re sinking! The city is sinking!”

Sialo ran to the door, followed by Dalu. Sialo stopped.

“Come on! We can make it!” Dalu screamed.

“I can’t leave Dethunac!” Sialo called back, then ran to the edge of the island to Dethunac’s hut. It took him moments to find Dethunac among the madness.

“Sialo!” Dethunac cried in all directions, hoping to find his friend. He got a jolt when Sialo grabbed his arm.

“Let’s go!” Sialo screamed above the screams of other matoran.

Sialo and Dethunac ran up the sinking chunk of rock. Some matoran tried to run with them. Others slipped and fell into the shining sea.

“We’re almost there!” Shrieked Sialo.

Then, as always, things went wrong.

An onu matoran – mad without question – jumped from above and kicked Sialo in the face, sending them both tumbling down. Dethunac tried to save Sialo, but Eyanam had sent them too far to be helped.

“Well well, if it isn’t Sialo. I’ve heard a lot about you.” Eyanam chuckled as they slid to destruction.

“And me about you, psycho.” Sialo spat back.

“I’ve always wanted to kill you. Now I will.” Grinned the mad matoran.

Sialo grabbed his Flame Slicers from his back. “I’d like to see you try, vermin.”

Then, the island broke off and sunk beneath the waves. Sialo and Eyanam went with the city, but Dethunc managed to escape at the last moment.

Ice-cold water smashed into Sialo, driving one of his Flame Slicers from his grip. Sialo tried to keep air in his mouth and swim up, but the island was dragging him down with it. Hold on to the slicer, thought Sialo, it’ll keep me alive. Deeper and deeper he went, the light of his lone Flame Slicer fighting the chill of the ocean. Suddenly, the air was driven from his lungs, water rushing to replace it. He was… changing. From the faint light of his Flame Slicer, he could see that others were also changing. He watched in awe as his body altered. His arms lengthened. His legs became stronger. His chest pushed his neck up into a normal position, then becoming tougher, broader and taller. To Sialo’s amazement, the damage done to his body was being undone in a matter of moments. Sure, his body was different, but he was normal again. Sialo realized that this vision was blurring. I’m dying, he realized. Sialo felt panic swell up in his new chest. I’m going to die, and no – one can save me. Sialo forced down the panic. No. Not today. I will survive! Suddenly, bubbles from all around rushed to him, covering him in second skin of air. He sucked in the air like a leach. He was alive. How? He didn’t have time to ponder over it. The city had hit the bottom of the sea, sending hundreds of bubbles skyward. Sialo tried to direct his decent toward the large bubble that somehow stuck to the city. Left, right, more to the right, too much, left a little, and… Sialo fell into the bubble and what remained of the city.

“I’m alive.” Sialo whispered in awe, then he laughed. Laughed like mad. He couldn’t stop. He was alive. Why should he listen to reason, even if it was from his own mind? Wait, what? Now he wasn’t making sense. Sialo stopped laughing. Pull yourself together! You will not go mad, he thought. I will not go mad. Sialo looked up. Other matoran had survived, as they too dropped to through the bubble. Sialo looked around. They were stuck here. Forever.

Sialo sighed. Might as well get comfortable.

It took years for the matoran adjusted to their new life. It was hard, but it was all they had. After a few years, the matoran decided to call the city ‘Marhi Nui”. And ‘Marhi Nui’ would face many hard ships in centuries to come.

Chapter 3: Creeps form the Deep

389 years ago

Sialo was in the airweed fields. Half a dozen years ago, the matoran had been running out of air. This was solved when they discovered that a certain scorpion like Rahi, named Hydruka, drew air from airweed. They used this to avoid drowning and mutating. They found that the waters had some mutagenic substance in it, altering the appearance of the victim and making the water breathers. Luckily, no matoran had met this fate, but they still feared it. The matoran now trained the Hydruka to extract the air from the airweed and as pets. Violent pets.

Sialo harvested the airweed needed to keep the city breathing for a few more days. The Hydruka he worked with, his pet Faran, offered to carry some. In his personal air bubble, Sialo smiled. No doubt Faran wanted a bit more air.

“Sorry boy. This is for the city. I’ll get some for you on the way back.” Sialo chuckled.

Faran seemed to accept this, then suddenly stopped moving. Sialo stopped too, scanning the field. He knew that gesture. Danger, it said. Sialo had heard stories of matoran drabbed by monsters in out of the city, and were never seen again. He raised his flame slicer to get some light. He hadn’t seen sunlight since sinking. Once again, he thanked Mata Nui for the Flame Slicer.

He saw movement to his left. He spun to meet the creature that hunted him.

Instead, a monster rose from the sand.

It was hunched over, but still towered over Sialo. Its red eyes reflected off its black armor. An armored black tail swayed in the water. Its right arm had no hand, but instead possessed two streamlined blades that formed a claw. Its left arm had a hand, and in it was a crude metal crossbow mixed with a sling shot. But the head was that of nightmares. It appeared to be that of a mutant ray of sorts.

It stared at Sialo, waiting for him to move. Sialo was paralyzed in fear. Faran had no such worries. He created a solid bubble of air and fired it at the monster, and the monster simply smashed it with its claw, sending bubbles off in all directions. The monster looked at Faran for a few moments before lunging at Faran. The poor Rahi never stood a chance.

The monster straitened it’s self before turning to Sialo.

“Run. I like it when prey is hard to catch.” Growled the monster in a harsh, watery voice.

Sialo didn’t need to be told twice.

Sialo swam towards Mahri Nui franticly, not looking back. That monster was no Rahi. It had the intelligence of a Matoran and it would catch Sialo if he slowed down.

Sialo was near the edge of the field when he was grabbed by the foot. He shot a look back. The monster seemed to have moved as fast as a Protodrake. Sialo tried to escape, to no available.

“Let go of me, Rahi bones!” Yelled Sialo.

The monster shrugged. “If you insist.”

Suddenly, Sialo then plummeted down past the airweed field, faster then he should have. I’m caught a current, he realized. He tried to fight the current and escape it, but it was too strong. Eventually, Sialo found a ledge near the current and landed on it. Sialo looked up. Though he couldn’t see it, he knew the monster was still chasing him. He needed to find a hiding space, now. He looked behind him. There was a small cave in the pillar of stone that the airweed field resided. Too small for the monster to fit in, but large enough for Sialo to slip through.

Sialo crawled into the cave. Inside was a massive cavern, with two more caves, one impossible to see into, and one leading off to Mahri Nui. He headed to the cave leading to the city, then stopped. Sialo Lit up his Flame Slicers. He needed to see what was in that cave. He headed towards the cave. Suddenly, something blue and thin shot out of the cave at Sialo, and he barely got out of the way before it could barge into him. He turned to see another monster.

The monster was hunched over its spiny back, long arms holding twin blades and its right hand also holding another makeshift slingshot with its long, head constantly twitching, greatly resembling a Metru Mantis. Its legs were strong, but also lacked strong armor. This thing obviously relied on speed.

Its grotesque face seemed to smile. “What do we have here?” It chuckled, a voice sharp as a protosteel blade. “A foolish Matoran, stumbling into my lair. No doubt Mantax or Carapar are Matoran hunting. Well, now your mine.” It approached Sialo slowly.

Sialo raised his flame slicer, glaring right into the beasts crimson eyes. Those eyes. So powerful. This… thing was right. No matter what it said, it was right. Sialo felt his Flame Slicer slip from his grip. Does it matter? Sialo thought numbly.

“Now, stay still. That way, I will remove your head with greater ease.” Hissed the monster.

In the deepest part of his mind, Sialo thought, No. this isn’t right. You’re in my head. Sialo began to shake in concentration. The monster backed away. No one had ever fought it’s hypnotism before.

Through gritted teeth, Sialo muttered, “Get... out… of… my… head!”

Suddenly, the monsters power was being used against it, with Sialo’s mind destroying its. Sialo saw its past. No, not it. His. Sialo saw that he was once a warlord, a member of the League of Six Kingdoms, but betrayed them. He was called Takadox, and the other warlords were here, too. All mutated into watery monsters. The black one was called Mantax, a yellow crab-like brute called Carapar, a white shark mutant called Pridak, the leader, a green eel monster named Ehlek, and the crimson, three eyed warrior with two tentacles for a left hand, Kalmah. They were the Barraki. Once, they had power. Now, all they had were their armies of sea creatures.

Sialo exited Takadox’s mind, leaving the Barraki in a coma on the floor. A voice echoed in Sialos mind. It said four clear words.

You will not die here.

Sialo looked at the sleeping Barraki, then towards Mahri Nui. He moved to his Flame Slicer, picking it up. It was time to go.

Chapter 4: An old Enemy

Sialo swam swiftly towards Mahri Nui. He had deactivated his Flame Slicer, not wanting to attract the attention of any more Barraki. As he neared the city bubble, he dared to think I’m safe now.

Then Eyanam charged right into Sialo, sending them both back a dozen meters.

Sialo shoved Eyanam off him before strapping his Solid Air Launcher, positioning it in his right hand.

“Eyanam, can’t you give up?” Spat Sialo.

Eyanam just grinned, holding his Venom Blades other his head.

Sialo sighed. “Only one of us will breathe another day, and by the Great Beings, I won’t die here!” Sialo fired his Launcher with extreme accuracy, but Eyanam plunged his Venom Blade into the bubble, releasing the precious air inside.

Eyanam wasted no time. He fired his Air Launch and charged at Sialo. Sialo barely had enough time to swim out of the way of the bubble before Eyanams Venom Blades were slashing at his mask. Sialo activated his Flame Slicer and retaliated, throwing his own form of combat into the battle. Eyanam dodged, ducked and deflected Sialos attacks and then struck fast and strong. Sialo managed to stop them from meeting his armor and bubble of air. But only just.

He’s good, Sialo thought. Better then last time. I was Faran was here.

Eyanam struck Sialos bubble, taking about half an hour of breathing away from Sialo. Sialo cursed. He needed to focus.

What would a Toa do? He wondered.

The answer came to him in moments. It was stupid, simple and insane at the same time, but it could actually work. Sialo narrowed his eyes behind his mask. He needed the right opening. Eyanam had no strategy but to cut him down.

This could take a while.

The battle raged for over an hour. Over time, Sialo began to struggle to breathe. He was running out of air. He needed that opening, now!

Eyanam noticed Sialos slowed reaction. “What’s the matter, matoran? Can’t keep up the pace?” he laughed manically, swinging out his arms to emphasis his insanity.

That was his first mistake.

Sialo swam right at Eyanam, catching him off guard. He instantly grew his arms in to protect his chest.

That was his second mistake.

Sialo fired his last Solidified Air Bubble at Eyanams chest, winding him and sending dozens of bubble skyward and, ultimately, jutting out that arrogant head of his. Sialo flipped upside-down and grabbed Eyanams mask. As he completed the flip, the pure momentum of his actions kept him moving.

Taking Eyanams mask with him.

Sialo looked back to see Eyanams metal plated face panicked. Without his mask, he would slip into a coma like state. Not only that, but his air bubble would only sustain him for a few minutes. Sialo looked up, swimming back a bit. Not that Eyanam would live that long.

From out of the depths of the sea, a massive squid had arrived and it was hungry.

Eyanam didn’t notice it until it wrapped its tentacle around him and pulled him down to the deepest, darkest waters. All Eyanam could do was scream.

Sialo watched as the squid took his old enemy to his death. He felt nothing. That surprise Sialo. He had expected to feel relief or remorse. But not a single emotion registered in his mind.

Sialo dropped Eyanams mask and swam towards Mahri Nui. He needed to take a rest. A long, well-earned rest.

Sialo blinked as he returned to the present. He looked around. His hut, his Koro, his time. He sighed. He was no closer to figuring out how he survived those encounters then a few hours ago. He slimed. Maybe it was just luck.

Suddenly, the wall was smashed, revealing a green thing holding a poison tipped staff.

Or maybe not, Sialo thought.

Edited by Toa Sialo