Short Stories Contest #8: Title Twisters

Velox

ssbanner.png

Welcome, one and all, to the first Short Stories Contest on the new forums! And so, without further ado…

Theme: Take the title of a Bionicle Comic and use that as the theme of your story. See below for a list of names.That’s right – you take a title from one of the comics and you write whatever you want about it, as long as it ties into the title. Here is a list of the Bionicle Comic titles from BioSector01. To avoid any confusion, only use the titles listed on that page -- some comics have different titles on the cover, so just use the ones listed there. Also, be smart: Don't name your story "Lunchable Comic 1."

———

How to enter:The entry period lasts from Tuesday, October 25, 2011 (today) as soon as this topic is posted and will end on Friday, December 2, 2011 at 11:59 PM PST. This gives you a little over a month to write your story – no need to rush!To enter, simply post a link to your entry in this topic using the following form:Member name:Entry name and link:Any entry PMed to me or not linked in this topic will be ignored – no exceptions.

———

Contest Rules:

• [*]All BZPower Rules and Guidelines apply.[*]Your story must be new and never before posted on BZP. You can certainly have been working on your entry before this, but it must be posted on BZP after the start of the contest for it to be eligible.[*]No plagiarizing! Your story must be your own work.[*]No cheating. Simple enough, yes? You don't get anywhere in life by cheating. Also, if you suspect someone of cheating, PM me. DO NOT post here. [*]Keep it PG-13 appropriate. So no gory descriptions, excessive violence, inappropriate content, et cetera.[*]Your story must be Bionicle. This doesn’t mean you can’t use what some people call “human Bionicle” [where one writes as if the characters are simply humans with powers, similar to X-Men], but the story must contain Bionicle elements. Your story does not have to be set anywhere in particular in the Bionicle storyline, however, nor must it use canon characters.[*]The story cannot be a comedy – those belong in the Comedies Forum. You can have comic relief, of course, but the general story should be serious.[*]No flaming, bashing, or trolling! I shouldn't even have to say this at all, but if any of this occurs, you will be disqualified immediately.[*]Rule Change: You cannot edit your entry more than half an hour after it was posted. This is so that all the judges read exactly the same entry and to make things as fair as possible. (And note that this does not mean you can post your entry, get critique, edit it, and then enter. Any revisions to the story must be done before posting.) For clarification: Once you post your story, you are allowed to edit your entry up to a half-hour after posting it in order to edit formatting errors. However,
any entries edited after the half-hour mark will be disqualified. If you must edit your story for some reason after that time, PM me and wait for my reply before doing so.[*]There is no minimum or maximum word count for this contest. Just be reasonable, please.[*]If your story is not posted in this topic with the correct format, your entry will not be entered into the contest.

The contest hosts reserve the right to change, edit, or make exceptions to any of the rules. A violation of the rules will be judged on a case-by-case basis by contest staff.

———

Voting:Winners will be dictated by judges and all of you. The first round(s) will go to the judges. Once the judges have whiddled it down to 5 or so entries, the entries will go to the polls. However, the entries will also be judged again. Yes, that means that there will be two winners: a “People’s Choice” and a “Judges Choice.”

Judges will be picked by the contest staff. Judges' names will not be posted until after the contest so I won't have to hurt anyone for bribing judges.

———

Prizes:Prizes will be announced later.

———

FAQ:To come.Other questions?If you have any questions about the contest not answered above, please post them in this topic. Chances are someone might have the same question, so if you post rather than PMing me, other members can read it the answer.First, however, look through this post to see if I've already addressed your question. But if you can't find an answer, or you think something is unclear, don't hesitate to post and ask about it!

———

Contest Staff:Contest Host:Toa_VeloxContest Assistants:55555

Ziko

Friar TuckAgain, feel free to ask questions here if you have any. But most importantly, have fun and get writing!

^_^

Here is a list of current entries.

Edited by Toa_Velox

"As a writer you ask yourself to dream while awake." ~ Aimee Bender

Cool contest. I might just enter, because it sounds pretty fun. -TNTOS-

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

A Writerly Blog

The Tasty Library of Sugary Goodness

(My Little BIONICLE: Friendship is Explosive Completed 01/05/14)

{The Shika Trilogy Omnibus Completed 03/31/14) (Review Topic)

(In the End Completed 09/01/14) (Review Topic)

The Biological Chronicle: (2001) (2002) (2003) (2004) (2005) (2006) (2007) (2008) (2009) (2010)

I'm tempted to enter this, because it'll be kind of a personal challenge to see how creative I can be, more than it being an actual contest for me. I'll let you guys know if I'll enter, but we'll see. But good luck to the people who enter! :)

On the day the wall came down / They threw the locks onto the ground

And with glasses high / We raised a cry / For freedom had arrived

On the day the wall came down / The ship of fools had finally run aground

Promises lit up the night / Like paper doves in flight

I dreamed you had left my side / No warmth, not even pride remained

And even though you needed me / It was clear that I could not do a thing for you

Now life devalues day by day / As friends and neighbors turn away

And there's a change that even with regret / Cannot be undone

Now frontiers shift like desert sands / While nations wash their bloodied hands

Of loyalty, of history / In shades of grey

I woke to the sound of drums / The music played, the morning sun streamed in

I turned and I looked at you / And all but the bitter residues slipped away

slipped away...

I certainly need an excuse to write more. This is perfect! Quick clarification here: Are graphic novel titles allowed, like "The Battle of Voya Nui" or "Realm of Fear"? What about the Papercutz comics, like "All Our Sins Remembered" or "The Exile's Tale"? Are those fair game as well?

tumblr_ng1pw4xLEM1tryxewo1_1280.jpg

Just for clarification: We only need to use the name of the comic and not the subject matter? Thanks!

Correct, the subject matter of the comic you choose is actually irrelevant, just base a story off of the title you select.

I certainly need an excuse to write more. This is perfect! Quick clarification here: Are graphic novel titles allowed, like "The Battle of Voya Nui" or "Realm of Fear"? What about the Papercutz comics, like "All Our Sins Remembered" or "The Exile's Tale"? Are those fair game as well?

Yes, all the names on that BS01 page are fair game.

Ill probably enter when the Prizes are announced

Speaking unofficially; don't hold your breath! It's not uncommon for prizes to be announced in the same topic that the winners are. :) - 55555

This sounds like an interesting exercise...I don't really have any ideas right now, but there's plenty of material. Good luck to everyone who entering!

There's a dozen selves inside you, trying to be the one to run the dials

[BZPRPG Profiles]

Hatchi - Talli - Ranok - Lucira - FerellisMorie - Fanai - Akiyo - Yukie - Shuuan - Ilykaed - Pradhai - Ipsudir

And some aren't even on your side.

Question: Do the names of the promotional/bonus comics count? Just out of curiosity, I'm not planning on using any. -ck

Yep. Any title on that link I put in the main post is fair game. newso1.png

This should be fun! :biggrin: *heads to BS01 to study the names there* Quick Q: Is this a non-canon contest?

Edited by Makuta_of_Oz

If you use correct grammar in your posts (or try hard to), place this in your signature. Join Myst's campaign for correct grammar usage on BZPower!

Hmm, I actually have part of a story written that I might be able to finish up for this contest . . . :sly: But, I do have one question? When you say "the theme of our story," do you mean a literary universal theme, or a plot theme? Also, does the theme have to be present in the entirety of the story, or can it appear only in certain portions? ~B~

Quick Q: Is this a non-canon contest?

I would say yes because you are allowed to use humans in your story, as long as there are some amount of BIONICLE elements. I'm assuming this contest is being done just for fun, getting things started now that BZP is back up. :) Edited by Erebus

jlovfkk.jpg

Can someone enter more than one story? And, can I really, not name my story, Lunchables comic 1? :P(I actually am serious on this one)

You cannot enter more than one story, only one entry is allowed per person. I'm gonna let Velox get your second Q.

Question: Is it okay to post the story on a non BZP site for critique?

That's fine.

I have a doubt: are there any restrictions to regions? Or is it completely international?

Completely international, as long as it's written in English, we don't care where you live. :)

Hmm, I actually have part of a story written that I might be able to finish up for this contest . . . :sly: But, I do have one question? When you say "the theme of our story," do you mean a literary universal theme, or a plot theme? Also, does the theme have to be present in the entirety of the story, or can it appear only in certain portions? ~B~

Gonna let Velox have this one.

I plan on using the comic At Last -- Takanuva! for my entry. Purely for aesthetic reasons, may I get rid of one of the hyphens or turn it into at actual dash?

Either of those slight modifications is fine. - 55555

This sounds like an interesting contest. I have been thinking about writing a short story, and this gives me a good reason to do so. :P

I was thinking pretty much the exact same thing. And some of those comics have titles that will certainly result in some interesting stories, so I can't wait to see what others come up with even if I don't enter. :t::b::3:

Q2TtLEz.png

I'm entering. Definitely!!!So, I post my entry in this topic?Quick question, does it have to be under 9,000 words?

Edited by Darthbrandon

I'm BACK!!!!!!!!

PM me if you want your comics or movie's reviewed by a guy who loves Bum Reviews!

bum_review_spoof_new1.pngP.S. I am not Doug Walker, nor do I claim to be.

Dark709 Fanmovie CHECK OUT DARK709's COMICS AND MOVIES!

Darthbrandon14's "ESCAPE FROM DARKNESS", coming soon

IF YOU WANT TO GUEST STAR, PM ME ASAP! GIVE ME A "RAZOR" SPRITESHEET! DON'T POST IN MY COMICS!

new_comic_banner.gif

Quick question, does it have to be under 9,000 words?

All BZPower Rules and Guidelines apply.[...]There is no minimum or maximum word count for this contest. Just be reasonable, please.

I'd say that answers your question. If it's not against BZPower's rules to post a nine thousand-word story in the Short Stories forum, you're fine.

I am quite inclined to join this contest. I'll have to look through the titles of the comics first however. EDIT: Quick question, can it be the name of one of the nine Graphic Novels published by Papercutz?

Edited by Tahkuta

Song Of The Month: From Scythe to Sceptre - Be'Lakor

qs104307.jpg
qs104307.jpg
Hau and Kakama collected!
I accept PBZP Requests. Just PM Me the letter you want, and the details of what you'd like to see in the MOC.
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W Y X Z
Red= Taken and in Progress, Blue = Open, Black = Finished

I was really hoping "Lunchables Comic 1" would be a valid title, but then I realized that I had no idea for what a story with that title would entail, so I went with an actual title and wrote an actual entry instead.Member Name: ElzyEntry Name and Link: "Hanging By A Thread", found here.

bannerelzy.jpg

Yay, I'm happy :) This finally gives me an excuse to write. Are songfics allowed?

Yes.

I'm entering. Definitely!!! So, I post my entry in this topic? Quick question, does it have to be under 9,000 words?

1. Yeah, post your entry here with the proper entry form.2. No -- read the first post.

I do have one question? When you say "the theme of our story," do you mean a literary universal theme, or a plot theme? Also, does the theme have to be present in the entirety of the story, or can it appear only in certain portions? ~B~

1. Do you? =P 2. I just mean the plot -- the title should reflect your story and what happens in your story. 3. It can appear only in certain portions.

This should be fun! :biggrin: *heads to BS01 to study the names there* Quick Q: Is this a non-canon contest?

Yes. You can have your story fit with canon or not with canon.

Can someone enter more than one story? And, can I really, not name my story, Lunchables comic 1? :P(I actually am serious on this one)

1. No.2. I guess, as long as your story does not become a comedy and the story still reflects the title. ...I think that's it. If 5 5's or I missed your question, feel free to post it again. newso1.png Edited by Toa_Velox

Wait, you mean that the theme cannot be reflected throughout the entire story? I was going to write a story about Matoro, starting with the mask of life going black, and following the standard story of Matoro dying, and the switching to either Kopeke or Nuju's reflection on Matoro's sacrifice. All of that reflects the theme "The death of a hero". Does that mean it wouldn't be allowed?