Short Stories Contest #8: Title Twisters

Velox

Your story does not have to be set anywhere in particular in the Bionicle storyline, however, nor must it use canon characters. I don´t understand, I have the freedom to write my story about a non-specific place and I can use non canon characters? Am I correct?

That's what I would assume that would mean. Thus, you could make up an island, leave it unspecified, and use created characters.

This is a signature that describes me as a person. Lazy, dry, and overall just a procra...

*insert placeholder signature here*

Wait, you mean that the theme cannot be reflected throughout the entire story? I was going to write a story about Matoro, starting with the mask of life going black, and following the standard story of Matoro dying, and the switching to either Kopeke or Nuju's reflection on Matoro's sacrifice. All of that reflects the theme "The death of a hero". Does that mean it wouldn't be allowed?

No, the theme can be, but it doesn't have to be. As long as the story relates to the title, then it's fine -- it can be completely about the title, it can be a reference to the title, etc. Does that make sense? I can explain it more if you need me to.

Your story does not have to be set anywhere in particular in the Bionicle storyline, however, nor must it use canon characters. I don´t understand, I have the freedom to write my story about a non-specific place and I can use non canon characters? Am I correct?

Correct. If you want you could write about Los Angeles, about humans, but saying they have powers and therefore making your story "human Bionicle." Or you could create an island called, I don't know, "Veloxica" and create a character named Velox who is completely Bionicle. Whatever you want; it's up to you -- just as long as it is Bionicle-related one way or another. newso1.png

"As a writer you ask yourself to dream while awake." ~ Aimee Bender

The vagueness of the theme will leave a lot up to the creativity of the entrants and their interpretations of comic titles; the result should be of an interestingly diverse variety. I'm definitely going to enter.

One question: Can the comic title be a subtitle, or, alternatively, can it have a subtitle? For example:

Gestes of the Bula Berry: Secrets and Shadows

Secrets and Shadows: A Geste of the Bula Berry

Would either or both of these be acceptable?

Sincerely, Nuile: Lunatic Wordsmith :smilemirunu:

Edited by Nuile: Lunatic Wordsmith

When I know I can't live without a pen and paper, when I know writing is as necessary to me as breathing . . .

tumblr_meb7408mTy1r4ejnio1_1280.gif

I know I am ready to start my voyage.

A Musing Author . . . Want to read my books?

The vagueness of the theme will leave a lot up to the creativity of the entrants and their interpretations of comic titles; the result should be of an interestingly diverse variety. I'm definitely going to enter.

One question: Can the comic title be a subtitle, or, alternatively, can it have a subtitle? For example:

Gestes of the Bula Berry: Secrets and Shadows

Secrets and Shadows: A Geste of the Bula Berry

Would either or both of these be acceptable?

Sincerely, Nuile: Lunatic Wordsmith :smilemirunu:

Exactly -- not only are there so many titles to choose from, but there are so many possible interpretations and ways of writing about each title. Anyway, on to your question: Sorry, but no; we want you to use the actual title, unchanged. What you can do is something like what Elzy did in his story. So you could do "Secrets and Shadows" as your title, and then in your topic you could put under your title "A Story About the Gestes of the Bula Berry" or something if you want. In other words, a description. newso1.png

I've been meaning to write some short stories next month out of celebration of NaNoWriMo (there's no way I'd have time for a full novel.) Perhaps if I'm struck by inspiration I'll give this a shot.

Hey: I'm not very active around BZP right now.  However, you can always contact me through PM (I have email notifications set up) and I will reply as soon as I can.

Useful Topics: The Q&A Compendium | The Official RPG Planning Topic
Stories: Fractures | An Aftermath | Three Stories | LSO 2012 Epics: Team Three | The Shadow and the Sea | The Days They Were Needed | Glitches | Transformations | Echoes | The Kaita and the Storyteller | Nui

BZPRPG: Komae · Soraya · Bohrei

Blog: Defendant Lobby no. 42

I was a bit iffy about this contest, but I'm convinced that this would be a great contest. =D I've got four names and titles being considered --- this'll be a great way to welcome back the forums. Best of luck, everyone! -Inferna

I would enter, but I don't know if I'll be able to find time between NaNoWriMo, homework, and roleplaying. We'll see, I suppose.

As he said.I got to do NaNoWriMo as well.I will find time to enter it though it seems like I want to test my writing abilities.
I'm also entering NaNoWriMo, but luckily I've already written my story for this contest - I've just never published it. 8D I gave it to a friend of mine so she could look through it for grammar and whatnot, but I should be able to post it tomorrow.

I've never actually entered a BZP SS Contest before - the only contest of the sort I've entered was BS01's Toa Varian contest. I definitely want to try my hand at this, though; I've always wanted to write Bionicle stories, I've just never really had the time. To tell you the truth, I probably wouldn't have entered this if it weren't for the new forums; I figure I'm starting off with a fresh slate. :) ~Lord Rahl~

Interesting idea for a contest, I'll try to enter. I am confused about one thing though. I know the title, of one of the comics we choose, has to tie in with our entry, but does that have to be our title for our entry? So far, no real clear answer for that.

Oh, one more question; can we upload a picture of the story that we wrote by hand or must it be typed?

Song Of The Month: From Scythe to Sceptre - Be'Lakor

qs104307.jpg
qs104307.jpg
Hau and Kakama collected!
I accept PBZP Requests. Just PM Me the letter you want, and the details of what you'd like to see in the MOC.
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W Y X Z
Red= Taken and in Progress, Blue = Open, Black = Finished

I may give it a whirl. The theme is very interesting and leaves a lot of intriquing possiblities open. -don't touch my pocket protector

Three great comedies at one low, low price....NOTHING!

Three late-middle age matoran think of something they want to do before they kick the bucket.

Choose Your Own Bionicle Adventure (archived)

Navigate your way through a myriad of meaningless choices as you try to not make a fool of yourself in perhaps the only comedy ever written almost entirely in spoiler tags.

Useless BZP Junk that you Must Have!!!

Get to your phone, whip out your credit card, and prepare to buy some useless BZPower related junk that has no benefit on society except that you want it!!!

joehalobanner.jpg

Interesting idea for a contest, I'll try to enter. I am confused about one thing though. I know the title, of one of the comics we choose, has to tie in with our entry, but does that have to be our title for our entry? So far, no real clear answer for that.

Yes, it must be the title for your entry.

Oh, one more question; can we upload a picture of the story that we wrote by hand or must it be typed?

It must be typed and posted in the short stories forum with a link posted in this topic. newso1.png

Alright everyone, it is up! The index topic to all submitted stories. That topic will be updated by me on a regular basis as entries are posted here, so get writing! Good luck everyone! :D

Living large... like clown-shoe size large. Complete with nose, rainbow-colored hair, and a bottle of seltzer water.

tumblr_lrgowllgeP1qzda76o1_500.jpg

Thanks, Tuck. ^_^ And on that note, remember: If you do not post a link to your story here with the proper format listed in the first post, your story WILL NOT be entered into the contest. Also remember that if your story topic says "post edited by..." after a half-hour, your entry will be disqualified. If you need to edit your topic, PM me -- DO NOT just edit it unless you want to be disqualified. newso1.png

Edited by Toa_Velox

In 2006 the BIONICLE comics rebooted with a new umbrella name "Ignition". As you may recall, the first comic was "Comic 0" and wasn't really a comic, it was an interview with Stuart Sayger. BS01 lists it as a comic and titles it "Ignition"...is that title fair game?This is a really great theme; I certainly plan on entering. Now to scour the title list for some inspiration...Also, are the titles of the graphic novels allowed? What about the comics that were newly done for those graphic novels? The McDonald comics? Thanks!

Edited by Zaxvo

{Z}

Sweet! I've already got a story planned. The first bit was actually my first thought of an entry, but then I changed my mind, but I had to keep it, even though it doesn't fit the title, because otherwise it leaves a plothole involving how an Olmak came to be (Artahka created it for the good guys in the first part, but the bad guys get ahold of it offscreen and have it in the second part. You can see the possible continuity error.) Hint: My original title was Mind Play (Shadow Play), but I changed it to A Dark Light Dawns (A Cold Light Dawns), and it answers 2 questions in the Bionicle universe, and almost answers a really pressing question. Oh, and, (sorry if someone already asked this and I didn't notice), does the whole story have to tie in?

aouROFb.png

Hint: My original title was Mind Play (Shadow Play), but I changed it to A Dark Light Dawns (A Cold Light Dawns), and it answers 2 questions in the Bionicle universe, and almost answers a really pressing question. Oh, and, (sorry if someone already asked this and I didn't notice), does the whole story have to tie in?

The story doesn't have to tie into the canon, if that's what you mean. If you're asking if it needs to tie into the title, the whole thing doesn't have to.As Velox said, "the theme can be [reflected throughout the story], but it doesn't have to be. As long as the story relates to the title, then it's fine -- it can be completely about the title, it can be a reference to the title, etc."Also, you can't change the comic's title (except for little things like taking out a punctuation mark). If you go with "A Dark Light Dawns" for your comic, your story's title needs to be "A Dark Light Dawns."-Ziko

Wow. Anyone gonna take "The death of Mata Nui?" :P I'm thinking of making a story based on a comic/movie/game francise being started by me and Metax. Really not sure though. I want to see someone make one titled "Web comic" :P It would probably have to be a comedy though.

Edited by Zarohum

I'm not sure if this is the right place to talk about this, but there isn't anything open on Storyline and Theory that I can pick out, so I figured a new story contest's page would be best to bring it up.Does this mean that all of the other story contests from before the shutdown are nullified now, with no winners or anything? A few contests hadn't quite finished when the forums had their shutdown. The Lesovikk Contest hadn't even collected many permissible entries.If so, that's a shame. The Thousand Years Untold contest especially had some really good entries.

I'm not sure if this is the right place to talk about this, but there isn't anything open on Storyline and Theory that I can pick out, so I figured a new story contest's page would be best to bring it up.Does this mean that all of the other story contests from before the shutdown are nullified now, with no winners or anything? A few contests hadn't quite finished when the forums had their shutdown. The Lesovikk Contest hadn't even collected many permissible entries.If so, that's a shame. The Thousand Years Untold contest especially had some really good entries.

The Lesovikk's Hiatus was run by the KanohiJournal staff, and the Thousand Years Untold contest was run by the S&T guys. This contest doesn't have much to do with those, it's part of a separate series of contests. if you want to know about the conclusion of those two contests, you should contact the members who organized them. But it seems unlikely to me that they'll go winnerless, most likely the people involved are just getting their breath after the long downtime. - 55555 Edited by 55555

I have a question: My story has Teridax's convocation and overthrow of the Brotherhood of Makuta included. Would it be plagiarism if I used outtakes from 'The Mutran Chronicles' to both save myself some time and to make it more close to the canon descriptions of the event? Or do I have to try and mimic the descriptions? Thanks.

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

We are all but grey specks in a dark complex before a single white light

Yes it would be plagiarism -- you can re-write those scenes for yourself, but to copy them completely would not be allowed. We want your own writing here, not Greg's, even if it's only in pieces. newso1.png

Can we send a Pm for somone to critique it in a PM? I hope so.

Yes, but not in any official capacity -- if you want to ask a friend to critique it for you, that's fine, but you can't go PMing someone whose only relation to you is that you know they're a good critiquer.

Member Name: Tom Mc. IsraelEntry name and link: Before the Storm Also, does anyone know how to indent properly, like creating separate paragraphs and whatnot, on here? All my dialogue is really confusing, now... :dozingoff:

You could either 1) just put spaces in between each line instead of indenting; or 2) use some sort of filler ["---------"] in white at the start of each line. However, make sure you PM me before you edit your story unless you want to be disqualified. newso1.png

Member Name: Tom Mc. IsraelEntry name and link: Before the Storm Also, does anyone know how to indent properly, like creating separate paragraphs and whatnot, on here? All my dialogue is really confusing, now... :dozingoff:

You could either 1) just put spaces in between each line instead of indenting; or 2) use some sort of filler ["---------"] in white at the start of each line. However, make sure you PM me before you edit your story unless you want to be disqualified. newso1.png
Ok...well I did make an edit on it, as you can see from the topic, but all I did was reformat things - when I pasted it in, it was just a big, garbled mess. I swear, that's all I did. :nervous: