MNOLG drums discovered?

Oroki

Greetings, lovers of Bionicle, and prepare to be amazed. Remember MNOLG? Well, who doesn't, it's friggin awesome. If so, you probably also remember these drums:

They can be heard in the scene where the Ta-Koro Guard discovers Tahu and in the mini-games at Kini Nui.

Recently I came across this drum sample by jobro called "Hunter" on freesound (all credit to jobro!).

I think the resemblance is striking. I even put a filter on it to simulate the drums in MNOLG with it, and it totally worked.

Is this a coincidence? idk My theory is that this is originally a traditional piece that both Justin Luchter and jobro happened to use, but it blows my mind anyway. Just what are those drums?

Or maybe jobro simply played MNOLG and felt insired by it? :rolleyes:

PS. I made a filtered slowed-down version version of this, which perfectly captures that tohunga vibe. Feel free to pm if you want it. Remember to give jobro credit.

Edited by Oroki
  • Upvote 1

banner1.png

I was looking around for sounds. Out of curiosity, I searched for tribal drums. This was in the results. I recognized it immediately, even though its faster than how we heard it in the game. So I downloaded it. It's not good for much else but feels, but that is just what I did. I slowed it down and filtered it and tripped hard on the feels.

banner1.png

Templar Studios is likely a Windows based studio, so it's likely that they used FL Studio to compose the music. If you read the description, this sound was made in FL Studio.

Maybe? But what do you mean? I have FLs 11 on my windows 8 computer, it works fine. But yeah, I don't think it's the exact sample anyway, since it's uploaded in 2010.

That's why I'm asking, actually. I'm interested by the idea that it might be something older, like how they used Ride of the Valkyries.

• Upvote 1

banner1.png

Sounds surprisingly close; I thing one small discrepancy is that there seems to be a tambourine-like instrument in this sample, and I don't think that's in the MNOG one. Other than that, though, it's pretty close.

• Upvote 1
rsz_screenshot_from_un_chien_andalou.jpg
My Writing Blog (more writing coming soon!)

My Bionicle/LEGO Blog (defunct)

Hyfudiar on Spotify (noise/drone/experimental music)