Is the Titan Toa Mata Nui supposed to be the Mata Nui Robot?

TommyG

I remember hearing something long ago like, if you remove the Titan Toa Mata Nui's armour, mask and weapons it looks like the Mata Nui robot who was never in set form. Can someone demonstrate this for me?

Makes me wonder if the set just existed to supplement other needs; it's also non-canon and the only set where you can get the proper Mask of Life and sword of Mata Nui's featured in the movie.

Pre-forums purge sig kept for historical purposes:

Some cool Bionicles are the combiners. Example: Toa Jovan

I've built a Krahka with 5 Toa Metru & Toa Norik, adding parts I needed to Norik. It needs 11 blue pieces (the ones that have +&O ends) but there's only 10 in all the Toa Metru sets. Do I have to attach her launcher to her arm? Please PM me if you can help me.

http://www.bzpower.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=309724

Nah, it's just a "deluxe", large-scale version of Mata Nui in the form he took on Bara Magna.

I wouldn't call it the only set where you can get the "proper" Mask of Life. There's nothing "improper" about the one in the smaller Mata Nui set. It's not actually metallic gold, but it's a very stylish approximation.

• Upvote 1

Not sure where you got the idea, but it may have something to do with a picture I found on BS01,

http://biosector01.com/wiki/index.php/File:AOSR_Great_Spirit_Robot_Departing_Spherus_Magna.jpg

One of the comics (the graphic novel exclusive one maybe?) seems to have used the basic mata-nui set as the mata-nui robot.

The Chirox Codex

Chuck's Very Dead Comic Series

:smilehafu: This is my signature. Exciting, huh?  :ruru:

Not sure where you got the idea, but it may have something to do with a picture I found on BS01,

http://biosector01.com/wiki/index.php/File:AOSR_Great_Spirit_Robot_Departing_Spherus_Magna.jpg

One of the comics (the graphic novel exclusive one maybe?) seems to have used the basic mata-nui set as the mata-nui robot.

Oh, yeah. That is was in All Our Sins Remembered, a comic in the graphic novel Legands of Bara Magna.

yeah that seems like a bit of an oversight on either Sayger's part or whoever provided him references for the comic.

• Upvote 1

yeah that seems like a bit of an oversight on either Sayger's part or whoever provided him references for the comic.

I think it was to promote the set. Much like why Turaga Dume still has his mask on when he was in the Matoran Sphere in Legends of Metru Nui. 

I think it was to promote the set. Much like why Turaga Dume still has his mask on when he was in the Matoran Sphere in Legends of Metru Nui. 

I assumed that was because they didn't want to show the faces beneath the masks in the movies/ they wanted it to be recognizably Dume.

I doubt this was to promote the set; if it was, they would have used that design from the beginning instead of using the non-set robot design. It's much more likely it was an oversight on some level of communication between involved parties.

I assumed that was because they didn't want to show the faces beneath the masks in the movies/ they wanted it to be recognizably Dume.

That's what I've been trying to suggest. 

Woah, that picture is soooooooo... Weird. Why would the GBs make a robot with a face shaped like a mask which was only to be used in an emergency?

I still need the Ignika ;_;

Me too. :-(

And in response to the actual forum, no.

VBWj75sh.png

Here's someone attempt, albeit with a different head than suspected:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Eman477/TitanMataNui/headchange.jpg

Edit: Image linked; please keep posted images to 500 kB.

-Wind-

Edited by -Windrider-

Pre-forums purge sig kept for historical purposes:

Some cool Bionicles are the combiners. Example: Toa Jovan

I've built a Krahka with 5 Toa Metru & Toa Norik, adding parts I needed to Norik. It needs 11 blue pieces (the ones that have +&O ends) but there's only 10 in all the Toa Metru sets. Do I have to attach her launcher to her arm? Please PM me if you can help me.

http://www.bzpower.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=309724

I can see the resemblance, but it seems more a coincidence than anything. Perhaps the set designer was inspired by the big mata-nui when making the (bigger) small version?

Agreed. 

But I don't think it's quite a valid version of it. Too much yellow. To have the true MN bot, it needs to be in brown/gray.

The only resemblance I see is that it's a large robotic humanoid of similar proportions. The pistons barely align to actual pistons on the robot, the chest barely even passes resemblance, and the legs are too gappy and messy to make much of a comparison at all.

Well, I can see why people might see a resemblance between the set and the Mata Nui robot simply on account of the head-to-body proportions (which are largely unlike any other BIONICLE character, besides possibly the 2008 Takanuva set). That similarity is out the window if you remove the mask, though. Edited by Aanchir: Rachira of Time

The only resemblance I see is that it's a large robotic humanoid of similar proportions. The pistons barely align to actual pistons on the robot, the chest barely even passes resemblance, and the legs are too gappy and messy to make much of a comparison at all.

Well, I can see why people might see a resemblance between the set and the Mata Nui robot simply on account of the head-to-body proportions (which are largely unlike any other BIONICLE character, besides possibly the 2008 Takanuva set). That similarity is out the window if you remove the mask, though.

You mean put on the mask, right? The MN robot doesn't have a mask...:confused:

Well, I can see why people might see a resemblance between the set and the Mata Nui robot simply on account of the head-to-body proportions (which are largely unlike any other BIONICLE character, besides possibly the 2008 Takanuva set). That similarity is out the window if you remove the mask, though.

You mean put on the mask, right? The MN robot doesn't have a mask... :confused:

No, I mean take off the mask, because I'm talking about the SIZE of the head relative to the body. Without any mask on, the head of the Toa Mata Nui set is WAY smaller than the head of the Mata Nui robot compared to the overall height. Although, for that matter, the Kanohi Ignika also looks more like the Mata Nui Robot's head than an unmasked Toa Metru head, in my opinion. That mouth area makes all the difference.

No; the Mata Nui Robot does not wear a Kanohi Ignika on his face (aside from that, the Kanohi Ignika wouldn't be able to even fit on his face), and Mata Nui does not possess shoulder armor or weapons. It can double as a Mata Nui Robot, however (or at least close enough) if you remove the shoulder armor, the mask, and the weapons. 

Yay! Fonts!!