New news about LOMN from the creators

Fry

From Shadow Toas Biosector article: The Shadow Toa were originally going to appear in The Legend of Mata Nui.

Prove it. BS01 doesn't use references and that had led to a wiki of sometimes questionable quality. It's odd that no one knows anything about this game's story, except this one detail that popped out of nowhere.

If in fact the Shadow Toa were in the game, I doubt it'd be a legitimate fight; just a cutscene. Think about it: the entire Manas fight was just a quick Toa Kaita cutscene (albeit an awesome one).

I believe that detail may have been provided by Greg when somebody asked him a question related to the Shadow Toa, but I honestly don't care enough to look it up.

The shadow toa rumor actually appears to date back to 2002. Unknown if this is just an assumption made from the text in the back of the 4th comic book.

UPDATE:

I think I found the source of the rumor.

As speculated, the "shadow Toa" were only a part of the cancelled PC game, and were never intended to be made into sets. (At one point there was a lot of discussion on BZP of the Toa Nuva being the Shadow Toa, which of course turned out to not be the case.)

No telling if they were ultimately just a concept or included in the game. Seeing as how they did not appear in MNOG, I wouldn't be surprised if they were scrapped early on.

Edited by JrMasterModelBuilder
  • Upvote 1

Are signatures still a thing?

I'm communicating with somebody named VolumeAir who claims to have a copy. No that's not A username it's a custom name to protect their identity

Did you actually hear back from VolumeAir? I had no luck with the person last time.

Lol that name... Yeah she said that she'll look for it and reply tommorrow

Edited by PrismWind
  • Upvote 1

I'm communicating with somebody named VolumeAir who claims to have a copy. No that's not A username it's a custom name to protect their identity

Did you actually hear back from VolumeAir? I had no luck with the person last time.

O_o I wonder why she's replying all of the sudden...

• Upvote 1
Bliss.png

Excitement! :)

-Gata signoff.png

Edited by Gatanui
  • Upvote 1

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

Please don't use my avatar or signature without permission, thanks! ^_^

Excitement! :)

-Gata signoff.png

We might be getting somewhere! :) It amazes me you've managed to track all of this down.

Tu2d6W7.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Unfortunately, I just talked with volume air. She says that after she left the UK, she no longer had a copy of LOMN. She did wish me luck though. :(

That must be pretty recent because the last time I talked to her, she was still residing in the UK. She has an active eBay store, so I'm hoping it didn't end up getting sold on there. 

Bliss.png

• 3 weeks later...

Unfortunately, I just talked with volume air. She says that after she left the UK, she no longer had a copy of LOMN. She did wish me luck though. :(

That must be pretty recent because the last time I talked to her, she was still residing in the UK. She has an active eBay store, so I'm hoping it didn't end up getting sold on there. 

What's her eBay?

More Disappointment. I just talked to "PepsiCola" and he told me that, while he did work on the game, he didn't in fact own a copy as it belonged to Lego. Wonderful.

Edited by PrismWind

Funny how this lines up so perfectly with Bionicles return. I thought this game was lost to legend, but it seems you might actually have a chance of obtaining it.

Good luck to you sir, I will definitely be following this thread. Keep us posted!

Just read through the thread, hopefully luck stikes out, but you're making a great effort. I'll be checking on this thread!

TAK

Thanks guys :)

Anyways, while I am waiting for email reply's, does anyone have any suggestions on possible LoMN owners?

Edited by PrismWind

Actually, I have one big question that I've been asking myself for many years.

If the game was never released, how do we know that 10 Beta Discs exist?

Especially if DeepBrick is the only one who has come forward to say "hey I have the game".

Why have the other 9 people never come out to say they have it?

Why has the 10 discs never come up on Bricklink or eBay?

BZStyle,

BZGrace,

BZPower in your face!

Best line in film history

"We have an old saying too, Georgi - and you're full of it."

All you need to know about me:

• Lifetime Bionicle fan
  • Loves Bionicle, HATES Hero Factory

Especially if DeepBrick is the only one who has come forward to say "hey I have the game".

Any CDs that exist today weren't created as 'beta' because whilst a beta test was announced, it never happened as the game was cancelled. They were probably copies that were secretly kept by Saffire workers and possibly sold/passed on to other people over the last thirteen years.

And DeepBrick never really came forward; our only contact with him was through a member on here who is now inactive.

Edited by Sir Kohran

Any CDs that exist today weren't created as 'beta' because whilst a beta test was announced, it never happened as the game was cancelled. They were probably copies that were secretly kept by Saffire workers and possibly sold/passed on to other people over the last thirteen years.

And DeepBrick never really came forward; our only contact with him was through a member on here who is now inactive.

But why has nobody said that they own the game and that they will\will not sell it?

BZStyle,

BZGrace,

BZPower in your face!

• Lifetime Bionicle fan

Also, I don't know where your getting the number of 10 from. The old rumor was that there were 8, possibly originating from a less-than-credible "own it" count on Brickset. The only credible source on how many exist I've seen is "Not many."

Incidentally, there are claims that builds of the game were distributed internally among LEGO and Templar as it was being developed.

Also, I don't know where your getting the number of 10 from. The old rumor was that there were 8, possibly originating from a less-than-credible "own it" count on Brickset. The only credible source on how many exist I've seen is "Not many."

Incidentally, there are claims that builds of the game were distributed internally among LEGO and Templar as it was being developed.

Some sources say 8, some say 10. I just use 10 because it's a good round number. But if you guys want me to start using 8, then I can do that.

Also, fan interest in the game has only been strong since 2010, when the three cinematics were posted on the old forum, which triggered a huge resurgence of interest. Before then it was little more than a long-lost memory.

It seems so in most cases, but I've been looking for it ever since they announced it. My cousin WAS signed up for a beta test, but sadly that never happened.

Edited by TheDarkSide

BZStyle,

BZGrace,

BZPower in your face!

• Lifetime Bionicle fan

Some sources say 8, some say 10. I just use 10 because it's a good round number. But if you guys want me to start using 8, then I can do that.

Umm, my point was that both numbers are probably inaccurate. We really don't know how many copies exist.

I was searching the Archive.org and I found this:

Saffire's Game Boy Advance project, "Bionicle", currently being completed for Lego, was arguably the finest Game Boy Advance game showing at this year's expo. People stood in line to have a chance to see art and game play that is better than anything before seen on a handheld.

Saffire's PC project "Bionicle", also for Lego, was also one of the finest looking and playing games being shown. With smooth animation, great special effects, beautiful and massive environments, challenging puzzles, and flawless gameplay, the game is sure to be a success.

I guess the first mention of Bionicle is Quest For The Toa. But there's no doubt what the second one mentioned is.

Thinking about this, I think those videos online of the menus, credits, and 1st level are in fact the demo that was shown at E3. This would explain why the footage of the 1st level is in good quality and the menu video is at an angle. But then how did the ending Mana battle and celebration videos get filmed? Surely those wouldn't be shown at E3.

Umm, my point was that both numbers are probably inaccurate. We really don't know how many copies exist.

Well, for everyone's sake, let's just say that 8 were made. If the rumors are true of the game getting distributed among LEGO and Templar, then that means that there would be 8[?] different versions of the game. Bob would have version 0.1, a month later Jane would have version 0.2, 2 months later Mike would have version 0.4, etc.

BZStyle,

BZGrace,

BZPower in your face!

• Lifetime Bionicle fan

Thinking about this, I think those videos online of the menus, credits, and 1st level are in fact the demo that was shown at E3. This would explain why the footage of the 1st level is in good quality and the menu video is at an angle. But then how did the ending Mana battle and celebration videos get filmed? Surely those wouldn't be shown at E3.

I don't believe they are from E3. They are supposed to be from Deep Brick and I doubt they would have shown the impassible areas in a demo at E3.

I would like to know what they did show at E3, but alas it was before the internet of today.

It wouldn't make sense if the gameplay was from such presentations, in comparison to, say, the Dinosaur Planet E3 and gameplay vids... However, it still seems that the cutscenes would likely either be from a separate leak, or maybe part of a press kit from the E3 showing?

edit: wait, why would they show off ending cutscenes? never mind...

Edited by 2Tie

~Bionicle Online Games Guru~
Current Bionicle Sets: 232/250
2001: 23/24 2002: 20/21 2003: 22/22 2004: 22/22 2005: 23/23
2006: 16/22 2007: 22/22 2008: 25/27 2009: 26/26 2010: 4/6
2015: 18/18 2016: 11/17

The article I put above was from May 2001 from the old official Saffire site. They only mention the Bionicle games for PC and Game Boy. The article mentions that all THREE of Saffire's presentations did very well, but they only explain the 2 Bionicle games.

BZStyle,

BZGrace,

BZPower in your face!

• Lifetime Bionicle fan

I don't believe they are from E3. They are supposed to be from Deep Brick and I doubt they would have shown the impassible areas in a demo at E3.

If I remember the topic on the old forum rightly, the videos were filmed by Deep Brick on his computer, then sent to RedQuark who uploaded them to YouTube.

Adding to this, most of DeepBrick's videos were filmed with a physical camera aimed at a computer screen in a dark room. E3 would have had game demos running in a crowded hall with lots of people and light, so it is practically impossible that the videos originated at E3. We really don't have any reason to doubt that Red Quark and DeepBrick were telling the truth.

believe victims. its actually not that hard, and youd look kind of bad if you were to, say, side with an abuser because theyre your friend

Adding to this, most of DeepBrick's videos were filmed with a physical camera aimed at a computer screen in a dark room. E3 would have had game demos running in a crowded hall with lots of people and light, so it is practically impossible that the videos originated at E3. We really don't have any reason to doubt that Red Quark and DeepBrick were telling the truth.

I know that they must be telling the truth, but why is the menu video is lower quality than the rest? And why aren't there any more cutscenes?

Surely if Deep Brick went into the game files and filmed the ending scenes, why couldn't he have done the same for the other levels?

BZStyle,

BZGrace,

BZPower in your face!

• Lifetime Bionicle fan

I know that they must be telling the truth, but why is the menu video is lower quality than the rest? And why aren't there any more cutscenes?

Surely if Deep Brick went into the game files and filmed the ending scenes, why couldn't he have done the same for the other levels?

He filmed the menu screens earlier on then the playthough (according to the article on the game, the cutscenes were video files that could be opened outside the game). He may have worked out a way of improving the quality.

I don't think he filmed the cutscenes, but sent them to Red Quark who transcoded them and uploaded them to YouTube. Supposedly, these are the only cutscenes with the game. He couldn't film the other levels because he didn't know how to bypass the impassible bug.

I think what TheDarkSide is asking is, "If he went into the game files and got videos past the Onua level, why couldn't he go into the game files and go straight to the level after the Onua one?"

Yeah, that's what I meant. It's no that hard. You put in a game, right click the icon and choose "open files" and have at it. I did that the other day with a PC game called "Attack On Pearl Harbor".

BZStyle,

BZGrace,

BZPower in your face!

• Lifetime Bionicle fan

I don't think changing your state in a game, generally speaking, is as easy as extracting a cinematic from its files (at least in my experience. There are doubtless exceptions, like the game you brought up). Presumably the cutscenes are stored on the disc easily accessible and in a ready-to-play format, whereas the files defining the progress of a player in the game would be encoded by Saffire and could be difficult to crack, doubly so as it would have had to be done via a telephone game from BZP posters to Red Quark to DeepBrick and back.

Edited by Pereki

believe victims. its actually not that hard, and youd look kind of bad if you were to, say, side with an abuser because theyre your friend

UPDATE

Edit time! I'm finally at a computer. Anyways, there were no Beta Disks ever released to the public in any way. Who knows where that rumor comes from, probably from someone trying to explain how DeepBrick had a copy. DeepBrick never actually came foward to the public. He only ever communicated through RedQuark (BZP name) Mark Durham (real name) MarkOfMod (youtube name) *NOTE those names belong to one person in case you didn't know*. My opinion is that DeepBrick is a Lego employee who has a build (seeing as how Lego got a new build weekly) and Mark managed to get into contact with him. Keep in mind, this is the same person who owns a Sand Tarakava for reasons that (he couldn't reveal). 

So yeah.
Edited by PrismWind

According to TrashBoat and Pohatu, that never happened, it was just a rumer to explain how DB had it. The 8 beta disks are impossible seeing as how "no official Beta test took place" 

That's pretty well established.

I, personally, believe DB to be a lego employee myself. Lego got a new build every week

Do you mean an updated CD every week?

When I get home, I'll PM you the entire story.

Who are you talking to here?