New news about LOMN from the creators

Fry

According to TrashBoat and Pohatu, that never happened, it was just a rumer to explain how DB had it. The 8 beta disks are impossible seeing as how "no official Beta test took place"

That's pretty well established.

I, personally, believe DB to be a lego employee myself. Lego got a new build every week

Do you mean an updated CD every week?

When I get home, I'll PM you the entire story.

Who are you talking to here?

1) Yes, Lego got a new build weekly.

2) I was talking to TheDarkSide

Edited by PrismWind

Why can't you post it for everyone to see?

Sure, as soon as I get home. I will have to edit out any names though

I was planning on waiting till I got everyone's responses but it's clear that most of them will not reply. Recently, a one of them saw my message for the first time even though it had been sent in June.

I contacted 8 developers

Edited by Barad-dur

My conversation with Pohatu:

"Hello, my name is Jake. Way back in 2001, Saffire was working on a game called BIONICLE: The Legend of Mata-Nui. The game is about robots of different "elements" (Earth, Water, Stone, Ice, Air, Fire) fighting to save their island. According to the games credits, you were on the dev team as one of the "Data Wranglers". I was wondering if you still had a copy of this game. Thank you for your time, thanks. -Jake.S"

Pohatu:

"I did work on that game, but unfortunately I do not have a copy of it. I certainly wish I did though."

PrismWind:

"Thank you for taking the time to reply to my question. Seeing as you did work on it, do you remember the state it was left in when it was canceled? Also do you know anybody who might know some thing about its whereabouts? Appropriately, a game called Legend of Mata-Nui has become a legend in and of it self!"

Pohatu:

Out of curiosity, how did you know I worked on the game? I do know a couple of people from the old group, but I have lost contact with most of them. -LISTS NAMES- As far as e-mail addresses, I do not have those, sorry.

PrismWind:

A very old video had a scene from the credits and you were in it as a data wrangler www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuQwM_mK_fE These are the credits. Somebody who had a copy for the game uploaded this video for it www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKrJI4TENG8 but nobody knows who he was as he decided to stay compleatly anonymous. He has had no activity for almost four years. So, I decided to try finding the game by using the credits. Since you actually worked on the game first hand, can you tell my why it was canceled? Also, what state of compleation was the game in when it was cancelled 50% 60% 70%? Thanks.

Pohatu:

"The game was mainly canceled to budget issues.  911 didn’t help the economy much either.  There were some bugs in the game, but that was not the major reason. If we had the time, we could have ironed them out in a week max. The game was approximately 75-80% complete."

PrismWind:

"Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my questions. This has really shed some light on this old canceled game! Thanks again, Jake.S"

And that's it for Pohatu.
Edited by PrismWind
  • Upvote 4

The game was mainly canceled to budget issues.  

I wonder what was costing so much.

Other reasons given for the cancellation have been computer compatibility, and the fact the game was too behind schedule to be released in 2001. It'd be interesting to know whether it was one or all of them that was the cause.

Other reasons given for the cancellation have been computer compatibility, and the fact the game was too behind schedule to be released in 2001. It'd be interesting to know whether it was one or all of them that was the cause.

I wouldn't have minded if the game was behind schedule and was released in 2002.

BZStyle,

BZGrace,

BZPower in your face!

Best line in film history

"We have an old saying too, Georgi - and you're full of it."

All you need to know about me:

• Lifetime Bionicle fan
  • Loves Bionicle, HATES Hero Factory

I wouldn't have minded if the game was behind schedule and was released in 2002.

Me neither. Given how popular Bionicle was then, I'm sure it would've been at least mildly successful.

I know The Game was a disaster the year after, but that was due to terrible reviews/word of mouth, and it being overshadowed by the movie.

As a programmer myself, I think you guys should not misinterpret the phrase "we could have ironed [the bugs] out in a week max" and think that, if you were to get your hands on the last build, it would be quite playable. It actually means that the bugs are very very bad! Glitches that ruin the whole game tend to be very easy to fix - they're easy to see, easy to reproduce, and easy to tell when they've been finally fixed. Subtle glitches that can be worked around and don't significantly affect gameplay (that is, the type of glitches that we hope it has) are significantly more difficult to find and fix.

So you'll probably need access to the source code in order to get the game completely playable, rather than just the last working build.

Edited by Jedi Knight Krazy
  • Upvote 1

IrMSNn3.png

As a programmer myself, I think you guys should not misinterpret the phrase "we could have ironed [the bugs] out in a week max" and think that, if you were to get your hands on the last build, it would be quite playable. It actually means that the bugs are very very bad! Glitches that ruin the whole game tend to be very easy to fix - they're easy to see, easy to reproduce, and easy to tell when they've been finally fixed. Subtle glitches that can be worked around and don't significantly affect gameplay (that is, the type of glitches that we hope it has) are significantly more difficult to find and fix.

So you'll probably need access to the source code in order to get the game completely playable, rather than just the last working build.

I also happen to be a computer programmer. Watching the level 1 videos, the only glitches I see are the onu-matoran are textureless, which is probably not a glitch and just that they didn't get to add details yet, and the death glitch going down those stairs. The stairs are spaced to where you wouldn't get damaged, but the glitch given you enough damage to kill you. A programmer, like myself, could easily create a Patch to go with that part that lets you safely land with no damage.

I doubt that the former Saffire employees or LEGO have the original source files.

BZStyle,

BZGrace,

BZPower in your face!

• Lifetime Bionicle fan

Who cares about subtle glitches or even if the gameplay is good? I don't want a copy because I want to have fun playing it, I could buy a modern video game for that. I want a copy because it was the canon 2001 BIONICLE story line. Sure I'll hack around anything major that stops me from playing through the game, but small bugs, nah.

• Upvote 2

Are signatures still a thing?

Who cares about subtle glitches or even if the gameplay is good? I don't want a copy because I want to have fun playing it, I could buy a modern video game for that. I want a copy because it was the canon 2001 BIONICLE story line. Sure I'll hack around anything major that stops me from playing through the game, but small bugs, nah.

Same here.

(Curse the mess up)

Edited by TheDarkSide

BZStyle,

BZGrace,

BZPower in your face!

• Lifetime Bionicle fan

Same. At the end of the day, it still looks better than *gags* BIONICLE: The Game though...

Edited by PrismWind

I also happen to be a computer programmer. Watching the level 1 videos, the only glitches I see are the onu-matoran are textureless, which is probably not a glitch and just that they didn't get to add details yet, and the death glitch going down those stairs. The stairs are spaced to where you wouldn't get damaged, but the glitch given you enough damage to kill you. A programmer, like myself, could easily create a Patch to go with that part that lets you safely land with no damage.

Actually, when the videos were first uploaded, I distinctly remember RedQuark saying there were a number of glitches in the game but Deep Brick had edited them out of the videos to make the gameplay as close as possible to what the finished thing would've been like.

• Upvote 2

Actually, when the videos were first uploaded, I distinctly remember RedQuark saying there were a number of glitches in the game but Deep Brick had edited them out of the videos to make the gameplay as close as possible to what the finished thing would've been like.

Where was that?

Where was that?

I seem to recall seeing seeing one or two instances where the video was cut. Something about getting caught in doorways maybe? I'm guessing he was able to get around them somehow.

• Upvote 1

The video would cut around a few times in the big lake cavern with the tree on the island in the centre, though it looked like the first couple clips aren't as detailed/are missing things that later clips have, and chalked it up to more footage being added from later versions of the game, as more was added/fixed. Could be wrong though.

• Upvote 1

~Bionicle Online Games Guru~
Current Bionicle Sets: 232/250
2001: 23/24 2002: 20/21 2003: 22/22 2004: 22/22 2005: 23/23
2006: 16/22 2007: 22/22 2008: 25/27 2009: 26/26 2010: 4/6
2015: 18/18 2016: 11/17

IIRC Red Quark said specifically that backing into a doorway you had previously come through would freeze/crash the game or something like that.

The video would cut around a few times in the big lake cavern with the tree on the island in the centre, though it looked like the first couple clips aren't as detailed/are missing things that later clips have, and chalked it up to more footage being added from later versions of the game, as more was added/fixed. Could be wrong though.

I'd appreciate it if you could point out any specific changes in the details between cuts - I never caught any myself. The videos are supposed to all be from a single version of the game, so variations like that would be unusual and quite interesting.

Edited by Pereki

believe victims. its actually not that hard, and youd look kind of bad if you were to, say, side with an abuser because theyre your friend

I think you misunderstood my post. I'm saying that if the developers were confident they could fix it quickly, the glitches that do exist therefore must be glaringly obvious and game-breaking, just due to the nature of software development and the psychology of programmers. The logic goes something like this (in the programmer's mind): 

• I see a few bugs that are game-breaking. They're obvious and I know how to fix them. My estimate to fix everything: very short amount of time. I'm wrong, of course, because hiding behind all of the obvious bugs are the subtle glitches that are harder to find. Or...
  • The game seems mostly done, but every so often I see something happen that's not quite right and I have no idea why, and I can't get it to happen again. Paranoia sets in and I start to imagine the entire codebase as a teeming nest of glitches ready to eat our budget whole.

Just a hunch based on personal experience with my last few projects. 

As for the solution: we likely will never get access to the source code. No game studio would ever give that up, even for a dead IP (and we now know that BIONICLE is very, very far from dead). Best best is that we'll probably have to do memory hacks to cheat our way through the bugs (similar to GameShark back in the day) or figure out how to edit the save files when we hit a game-breaking glitch.

Edited by Jedi Knight Krazy

IrMSNn3.png

I think you misunderstood my post. I'm saying that if the developers were confident they could fix it quickly, the glitches that do exist therefore must be glaringly obvious and game-breaking, just due to the nature of software development and the psychology of programmers. The logic goes something like this (in the programmer's mind):

• I see a few bugs that are game-breaking. They're obvious and I know how to fix them. My estimate to fix everything: very short amount of time. I'm wrong, of course, because hiding behind all of the obvious bugs are the subtle glitches that are harder to find. Or...
  • The game seems mostly done, but every so often I see something happen that's not quite right and I have no idea why, and I can't get it to happen again. Paranoia sets in and I start to imagine the entire codebase as a teeming nest of glitches ready to eat our budget whole.
Just a hunch based on personal experience with my last few projects.

I see. I can mostly agree with this. However comparing the Onua level video to other many other released LEGO video games, and some non-LEGO games from the time, the quality does look nearly comperable.

As for the solution: we likely will never get access to the source code. No game studio would ever give that up, even for a dead IP (and we now know that BIONICLE is very, very far from dead).

That's not stictly true. I don't imagine any studios would release the source code, but former employees of a defunct studio can be another story. I know from experience.

Best best is that we'll probably have to do memory hacks to cheat our way through the bugs (similar to GameShark back in the day) or figure out how to edit the save files when we hit a game-breaking glitch.

In all honesty, even if we did get source code, this would probably be the easier option. Source code could certainly help, but trying to setup a 15 year old Direct X project compiling on some ancient version of Windows and Visual Studio would be very difficult. Plus, I already cracked the BLK game archive format and we believe we have cracked the save file format.

Edited by JrMasterModelBuilder

I was mistaken it seems. :/ The cuts in the section I was thinking of was only to remove the backtracking out of the water.

Thalli-Walli best pet name ever, btw

• Upvote 1

That could be partially true. I edited all the videos together and there was a an awkward transition between parts 7 and 8.

BZStyle,

BZGrace,

BZPower in your face!

• Lifetime Bionicle fan

Well said.

Add me on 3DS: 0516-7750-0068

Add me on Wii U: Boidoh

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 4: Never Trust a Snake

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 44: Corridor of Elders

Like, Comment, And Subscribe for Nintendo Content - NinBoidoh

About the game-breaking bugs, I can understand that. If you need an example about how severe bugs can be a simple fix: Donkey Kong 64 had a game-breaking bug that caused it to randomly crash. However, this only happened when it was running on the Nintendo 64's standard 4MB memory setup. The Nintendo 64 had an accessory called the Expansion Pak that increased the system's internal memory. The game's developers noticed that the game ran fine with the Pak installed, and they were unable to identify the cause of the problem. As a result, each copy of the game included an Expansion Pak.

Anyway, I hope this game finally falls into the hands of the fans. I remember looking for it around 2001/2002, and being unable to find it, only learning years later it was cancelled. By the way, wasn't it one of the prizes for the BIONICLE fan site contest in 2001? How did they handle that if it was cancelled?

Edited by Cheesy Mac n Cheese

My friend went to Po-Wahi and all I got was this lousy rock.

logowithbackgrounnd100.png

Blue sea...a Ruki leaps...the sound of water

By the way, wasn't it one of the prizes for the BIONICLE fan site contest in 2001? How did they handle that if it was cancelled?

Simply enough, they didn't include it. Technically breaking the terms of the contest but that prize package was so massive anyway that I doubt any winners had a problem with it.

believe victims. its actually not that hard, and youd look kind of bad if you were to, say, side with an abuser because theyre your friend

By the way, wasn't it one of the prizes for the BIONICLE fan site contest in 2001? How did they handle that if it was cancelled?

Simply enough, they didn't include it. Technically breaking the terms of the contest but that prize package was so massive anyway that I doubt any winners had a problem with it.

I'm pretty sure they were given something(s) else instead. Most-likely the contest official rules said something like "We reserve the right to substitute the prize with another prize of equal or greater value."

• Upvote 1

I'm pretty sure they were given something(s) else instead. Most-likely the contest official rules said something like "We reserve the right to substitute the prize with another prize of equal or greater value."

Alright, according to this, they were given everything mentioned in the comic it wa announced in (minus the game), plus a Tahnok, 2 Bohrok posters, the Power Pack (unless that counts as part of the "BIONICLE collection"), 2 copies of comic 4, a BIONICLE logo hat, and a "Mystery one-of-a-kind Bionicle object" that can't be identified because the page it links to is extinct. I guess it was replaced with a lot.

Comic 2 claims that there were exclusive building instructions in the game that could be unlocked and printed out. I wonder if these were ever actually put in the existing versions. Come to think of it, there was a topic on here I saw a couple of years ago when I was inactive that said something about an unpublished book relating to these.

Alright, according to this, they were given everything mentioned in the comic it wa announced in (minus the game), plus a Tahnok, 2 Bohrok posters, the Power Pack (unless that counts as part of the "BIONICLE collection"), 2 copies of comic 4, a BIONICLE logo hat, and a "Mystery one-of-a-kind Bionicle object" that can't be identified because the page it links to is extinct. I guess it was replaced with a lot.

Comic 2 claims that there were exclusive building instructions in the game that could be unlocked and printed out. I wonder if these were ever actually put in the existing versions. Come to think of it, there was a topic on here I saw a couple of years ago when I was inactive that said something about an unpublished book relating to these.

I contacted one of the winners and he said that neither of them had it

Oh, right, doy. There were substitution prizes, I had forgotten. I think this discussion cropped up earlier elsewhere - the "one-of-a-kind-object" is actually a solid gold Hau, so not a replacement but one of the original contents of the package.

That topic you are thinking of was probably mine. That was years ago and I was probably a little to excited with my theory, but there was a LEGO Master Builders book planned for BIONICLE in 2001, to go with this series. When the book was cancelled, the concept was recycled into 2002's 10023 Master Builder Set. Regardless of whether the book would have had instructions or images or more Rahi than the 15 of 10023 can't be said for certain, but what I can be fairly sure of is that a lot of the Rahi LEGO designed for BIONICLE in 2001 only made their appearances in TLOMN, Tales of the Tohunga, and the Quest for the Masks TCG. It is quite plausible that some of these designs were the ones instructions were given for in the game. It may also have been the Ranama, Mukau, and Kirikori Nui - models that use elements from Throwbots, Roboriders, and 2001 BIONICLE sets, despite being published on the LEGO site in 2002. It seems plausible that LEGO might've recycled the instructions created for the game and put them to good use on the website.

Here are the background Rahi that I've reverse-engineered, with varying degrees of certainty regarding their accuracy.

Edited by Pereki
  • Upvote 2

Oh, right, doy. There were substitution prizes, I had forgotten. I think this discussion cropped up earlier elsewhere - the "one-of-a-kind-object" is actually a solid gold Hau, so not a replacement but one of the original contents of the package.

That topic you are thinking of was probably mine. That was years ago and I was probably a little to excited with my theory, but there was a LEGO Master Builders book planned for BIONICLE in 2001, to go with this series. When the book was cancelled, the concept was recycled into 2002's 10023 Master Builder Set. Regardless of whether the book would have had instructions or images or more Rahi than the 15 of 10023 can't be said for certain, but what I can be fairly sure of is that a lot of the Rahi LEGO designed for BIONICLE in 2001 only made their appearances in TLOMN, Tales of the Tohunga, and the Quest for the Masks TCG. It is quite plausible that some of these designs were the ones instructions were given for in the game. It may also have been the Ranama, Mukau, and Kirikori Nui - models that use elements from Throwbots, Roboriders, and 2001 BIONICLE sets, despite being published on the LEGO site in 2002. It seems plausible that LEGO might've recycled the instructions created for the game and put them to good use on the website.

Here are the background Rahi that I've reverse-engineered, with varying degrees of certainty regarding their accuracy.

Wow, those are really cool!

I

Thanks for the reply. I've been looking for these sorts of MoCs. And yes, that's definitely the topic. Although the "one of a kind" object seems to be listed separatelt from the mask.

I know it's getting off topic, but where did the Brakas sprite come from? I've seen it lots of times, but I've never seen a prototype or walkthrough for Tales of the Tohunga.

Edited by Cheesy Mac n Cheese

I know it's getting off topic, but where did the Brakas sprite come from? I've seen it lots of times, but I've never seen a prototype or walkthrough for Tales of the Tohunga.

The walkthrough was an article in an issue of Nintendo Power magazine - LordNektann on BS01 got a hold of the magazine after I figured out it was where the Brakas was from, and posted scans, but they seem to have been taken offline now. Basically, there was a list of some of the Rahi in the game and the Brakas was in the list. It is one of several Rahi that were in prototype versions of the game but didn't make the final cut.

I've never seen an actual, full prototype for Tales of the Tohunga, but there are some screenshots floating around, mostly from early copies given out to review sites. here's the one with the Brakas in it You'll notice that it is built slightly differently than the one from the walkthrough.

Edited by Pereki

The walkthrough was an article in an issue of Nintendo Power magazine - LordNektann on BS01 got a hold of the magazine after I figured out it was where the Brakas was from, and posted scans, but they seem to have been taken offline now. Basically, there was a list of some of the Rahi in the game and the Brakas was in the list. It is one of several Rahi that were in prototype versions of the game but didn't make the final cut.

I've never seen an actual, full prototype for Tales of the Tohunga, but there are some screenshots floating around, mostly from early copies given out to review sites. here's the one with the Brakas in it You'll notice that it is built slightly differently than the one from the walkthrough.

Ah, I found it. It wasn't in the regular Nintendo Power, it was in the short-lived spinoff Nintendo Power Advance, issue number 2. They refer to your character as a "Bionicle" and each region by the names of its repective Toa :P. But they do have an enemy list, and there's the Brakas. However the Brakas is only shown here, and not in the actual walkthroughn part. The Brakas' entry also neglects to say which region it's found in.

Back on topic, where can you find the 3D models from LoMN?

For anyone looking for the original page featuring the prototype brakas sprite, it can be found in this archive. It's something I've been looking for for a long time.

Thank you, it's very nice to have this available to read again!

For anyone looking for the original page featuring the prototype brakas sprite, it can be found in this archive. It's something I've been looking for for a long time.

Thank you, it's very nice to have this available to read again!

Are we sure that Brakas are not in the game? The manual says that they are extremely rare. Perhaps nobody had spotted on yet. Then again, I doubt that an IGN employee had the time to go looking for one.

The brakas have seemed to be a subject of interest on BS01 and have been looking for them myself. I haven't delved too deep into the data for the game, and so I haven't checked the sprites, but in my playthrough of the game I did not encounter them.