Keetorange Productions Animation Studio

Dekar Nuva

becca6d2-1505-4cdf-8bc1-409aab21c3cc_zps

Hello everybody! I've been away from BZPower since the Great Downtime a few years ago, writing for other sites, blogs and even a magazine. But now it feels like it's time to come back. I am really happy that these forums are still going strong and the spirit of Bionicle is very much living. It's almost like I never left!

Anywho, in this topic I'd like to share some of the 3D artwork I've been producing on a program called Art of Illusion. This program was originally developed for Mac systems but it works extremely well with Windows. It can do modelling, rendering and animation all right out of the box and is very easy to use compared to the other programs I've tried. And it's FREEEEEEE! Take a look here if you're interested: http://www.artofillusion.org/

Now I present a random selection of images, each one showing my take on a particular Bionicle character. Any constructive comments or criticisms would be most welcome.

Dekar17_zpse8ae7a17.png

Tahnok-Kal2_zpsf882885e.png

Rahkshi9_zps80bd04e9.png

Nuurahk3_zps429f41a4.png

Krekka1_zps36b9d0ac.png

Edited by Dekarnuva

11f40ad3-a706-4876-98bb-d654857048d6_zps

HEEEEEEEEEEEERE'S DEKKY!

New comedy: The Time Before Time 

New artwork: Keetorange Productions Animation Studio

Kohlii! And welcome back. This looks great! It looks like is pretty difficult to get the shapes right, and that the main feature is the 3D coloring. It's all very shiny and illusive. It kinda looks like cgi. Is this considered cgi?

I think artists will love it. Awesome work.

banner1.png

This looks great! It looks like is pretty difficult to get the shapes right, and that the main feature is the 3D coloring. It's all very shiny and illusive. It kinda looks like cgi. Is this considered cgi?

I believe it's technically CGI, could be wrong though due to some technicality. Getting the shapes is actually relatively easy, it's just very time-consuming. And because they're based on Lego bricks, I re-use lots of parts from other models. :P

These look great! I especially like Krekka. On the program, though, is it easier to use than Blender and can it handle complex textures?

Well, my explosive friend, Art of Illusion was actually developed as an alternative to Blender for Mac users. I've never used Blender myself, but based on what I've read the two programs are very similar. It can handle complex textures alright, the question is whether the processing power of your computer is up to it. If you want more info you can PM me, or check out www.artofillusion.org

Thank you all so much for your praise guys, it means a lot to me. My parents thought teaching myself to animate was a waste of time but I really enjoy it and some day I hope to use models I've created in a comic series or something like that.

For this post I may as well show you more of my latest project, Vahki Nuurahk. I'm focusing on Bionicle characters from 2004 at the moment, as this is also the focus of my latest comedy, The Time Before Time (link in signature). I'm aware that His Farshteyness considered these to be his least favourite characters in the whole storyline - at least, that's what BS01 says. So I've tried to make it look a little more interesting than the set version. It has some features, such as the elongate neck and proper chest armour, inspired by Legends of Metru Nui. Notice all the wide, flat surfaces and smooth HF-style armour pieces on it. I figured that if these were going to be mass-produced, they'd be better off having a simpler construction than the overly complex Vahki in the movie.

Oh yes, and I went with a Nuurahk simply because I'd already made another character that used the Nuurahk staff as his weapon. More on him later...

Nuurahk1_zpscce03ba0.png

Nuurahk6_zpsb8ca250e.png

Nuurahk4_zpsb61a6b1e.png

Nuurahk5_zps372e5a70.png

Nuurahk7_zpsb4258af1.png

Mata foots, Vahki edition!

Thanks again for your supportive comments!

HEEEEEEEEEEEERE'S DEKKY!

To continue with the Ta-Metru theme, it's time for everyone's (well, a lot of people's) favourite Toa of Fire! Vakama is the chap I've been working on for the past week or so. He's my most detailed character model to date; I spent three days on just that torso piece and there's still a lot more I could do.

Features:

- Fully functional (not really) Great Huna

- Gear function (kind of)

- Two different styles of connector piece and a new style of hand

- Groin armour in case Krekka gets any funny ideas

- Everything else you can see

Vakama4_zps1281cd4b.png

Vakama2_zps4a660b7d.png

Vakama9_zps822be806.png

Vakama5_zpsde59c2b1.png

Yes, his eyes are a different colour in this one. I'm still experimenting with the textures a lot.

Vakama6_zpsa0dce973.png

Vakama8_zps3d085810.png

Edited by Dekar Nuva

HEEEEEEEEEEEERE'S DEKKY!