What Would You Put in The LEGO Movie Extended Cut?

Okay, so as far as I know there's no extended edition of The LEGO Movie coming, but the directors at one point said that the movie was at least two hours before edited down for theaters.

So imagine they are making an extended cut, and you're in charge of brainstorming scenes to add in. What would they be? Mine:

- At one point, Batman says to Wildstyle, "You were right about him being a ding-dong," referring to Emmet. Unless I have a memory lapse, there was never a part where Wildstyle said this to Batman. I think it'd be great to have a scene just before the Cuckooland meeting where Batman and WIldstyle chat quickly. Not only could Wildstyle call Emmet a ding-dong, but it could also serve as a way to show how rocky their relationship was.

- Extended Master Builder fight scene at Cloud Cuckooland. Just generally more goofy stuff showcasing how inept some of the Master Builders are. It'd also be interesting to see which Builders bailed and which stayed to fight.

- In the Old West Wildstyle mentions that Taco Tuesday is in "three days". To back this up, the timestamp of the security footage of Emmet and Wildstyle racing down the highway reads 9:30 PM on a Saturday. I don't know about you, but the movie doesn't feel like it takes place over three days to me. There could be extra scenes to sort of "fix" this and change the pacing of the film.

Moar bonklez

Probably the best way to manage that would be to put a few Toa fighting in the background during the Cloud Cuckooland fight scene.

It would also be funny to have a few of the minifigure-size Toa (like from the Visorak Battering Ram and stuff) waddle around toystory-army-man style.

rsz_screenshot_from_un_chien_andalou.jpg
My Writing Blog (more writing coming soon!)

My Bionicle/LEGO Blog (defunct)

Hyfudiar on Spotify (noise/drone/experimental music)

• 4 weeks later...

I haven't seen any of the supplemental features on the DVD or Blu-Ray, but I imagine most of the 20 minutes that got cut where moments that were either redundant or slowed the pacing down. Basically the same kind of things that get cut for any film. 

As for what I would add? Nothing. The movie and the plot are fine as-is and I think any additions would be unnecessary and drag the film out. I guess they could create an "extended cut" like what Peter Jackson does for his Middle Earth movies, but like those the additional scenes would be unnecessary and probably just be more pop culture references or references to other LEGO themes. Which is perfectly fine if you loved the movie and want more of that, but I think the theatrical is best off without it.

Edited by Vorahk1Panrahk2
BZPRPG

You couldn't really MAKE a Lego Movie extended cut, as far as I can tell. It's not like a live-action film where you have unused filmed footage that might just need to be touched up; the deleted scenes we know of (those on the Blu-Ray) were cut so far back in production that only animatics exist, meaning that they would basically have to be animated from scratch. Besides that, most of them seemed quite tonally inconsistent with the final movie that was released in theaters: one in which Emmet gets locked up in the brig of the Sea Cow by Metalbeard and his companions, who blame him for Cloud Cuckoo Land's destruction, and one in which Wyldstyle gets captured and interrogated (with a lie detector revealing her affections lie with Emmet), and Emmet and Batman fight over her while she escapes on her own.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

You couldn't really MAKE a Lego Movie extended cut, as far as I can tell. It's not like a live-action film where you have unused filmed footage that might just need to be touched up; the deleted scenes we know of (those on the Blu-Ray) were cut so far back in production that only animatics exist, meaning that they would basically have to be animated from scratch. Besides that, most of them seemed quite tonally inconsistent with the final movie that was released in theaters: one in which Emmet gets locked up in the brig of the Sea Cow by Metalbeard and his companions, who blame him for Cloud Cuckoo Land's destruction, and one in which Wyldstyle gets captured and interrogated (with a lie detector revealing her affections lie with Emmet), and Emmet and Batman fight over her while she escapes on her own.

Another such scene that was cut had Emmet and Wyldstyle crash-landing on the moon where they meet Benny, who's been completely alone for a long time, talking to a mop he named "Moppy", and eating nothing but "space food" ice cream that comes in only chocolate and vanilla, which he likes to mix together into "choconilla".

Now that I think about it, I honestly would have loved to see this scene in the movie.

• Upvote 1

Formerly known as Takanuva's Symbol, I rejoined BZPower on October 10, 2012.

These days, I am perhaps best known for my obsession with all Lego video games.