Mata or Olda?  

113 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I've often wondered what most people call the first Toa team that appeared on the shelves. I originally just called them the Toa, until I found out that the canon name was "Mata", which I use to this day. It was not until I joined the BZPRPG that I found out about the other name - Olda. I personally have never liked that name; it sounds like cheap Fanon to me, but hey - that's just my opinion. ;) What I want to know is, what do you guys think, and which do you use?

sig_panel_bzprpg.pngsig_panel_profiles.pngsig_panel_flickr.pngsig_panel_steam.pngsig_panel_n7.png

Fire, Axe, Claw, Hook, Sword and Kick. Just kidding, I call them Toa Mata obviously, Olda is just weird and Toa is a bit confusing when relating with other Toa teams

If you want to spare some time and take a look to my colection then visit this link, if you dont want, well...you just lost a good opurtunity to compare collections and laugh at mine (or cry if you want).

qs102492.jpg

The Mata prefix is a relatively recent addition, from like 2008 I believe. Therefore, before it's sudden addition, the only way to refer to the Toa of the first year was to call them Olda. For me, I still like Olda for referring to the sets, since their style is distinct from newer versions of the Toa. But for the story, Mata makes more sense. So both. :music:

The Mata prefix is a relatively recent addition, from like 2008 I believe. Therefore, before it's sudden addition, the only way to refer to the Toa of the first year was to call them Olda. For me, I still like Olda for referring to the sets, since their style is distinct from newer versions of the Toa. But for the story, Mata makes more sense. So both. :music:

Actually, the Toa-Mata name has been around since 2004, it just wasn't made canon until recently. =)

lineupnewestest.png
[BZPRPG PROFILES]

Nikarra - Kaelynn - Ronan - Muir - Donal Aerus - Montague - Kira - KouraLearu - Alteora - Fuacht - Caana Nessen - Merrill

Sometimes I refer to the Mata as Nuva all-around, but when I'm talking about the OG Mata sets, I simply refer to them as the Mata, to avoid confusion of the Nuva and their original counterparts. Olda just sounds really weird to me.

Edited by Valyou

Please enjoy a series of on signals and off signals sent from a far off computer to yours, forming short messages that may disturb and amuse!

All that really matters is that there is a designation which team is being referred to. I typically use the term 'Mata' because it signifies the island we first learned about them on (from a set standpoint) and their destiny to raise Mata Nui (from a story standpoint). Since 'Olda' is a weird-sounding word and only refers to the sets, I never use it. On occassion, when discussing things from a sets-only perspective, I will say 'Originals,' but not 'Olda,' which isn't even a real word - Bionicle universe or ours.

odyssey1_bannernew.jpg

Review Topic

I AM OFFICIALLY BACK! :D After 18 months on hiatus, I have returned, but I have spent that time well. If you want to see how it was spent, click on the banner to start reading the result or click on the linky-link below to get further information off of the review topic.

Toa Mata. As I wasn't active in the Bionicle community during Bionicle's year years I never heard the term Olda. The first term I heard was Mata, and it still makes sense to this day.

"Danger is the anvil on which trust is forged"-Jaller(Jala) :smilejala: 
"We're on our own here-like we've always been-and we'll stand or fall on our own"-Tanma
"He may seem slow and strange to you, but his simple words often carry a hidden wisdom"-Turaga Vakama on Kapura

9B586E38-224D-4703-8EE3-5A0AC1CB8344.png.4f8ec6246a5ad7273e1c0d55cb15537e.png
Kanohi: Stories of a Matoran Vigilante The Impact of a Rebirth: a Kanohi Fanfic The Willing Exiles: a Kanohi Fanfic SKA PC Profiles: Kanohi, Collector, Mahrika Kardaka BZPRPG Profiles Avatar by @Harvali 

I've always called them "Mata", "Olda" doesn't sound right to me.

And kudos IO. You're a pretty sharp kid to understand all that at 9.

-The Captain

Old LGD RPGs:

Dino Attack RPG - Space Police RPG - Johnny Thunder RPG Mark Two - Alpha Team RPG: Ogel's Last Stand

-Signature Under Construction-

At this point in time, real life has made it so that I may have absences from here from time to time. Apologies.

LEGO Universe; October 8th 2010, to January 31st 2012

It's always been Mata to me, Olda just never sounded right.

Same here. I've never even thought about using 'Olda' for more than a second. -The Fearless Leader
Amen. Olda just sounds pathetic. Too Anglicized and incompatible with the reality of BIONICLE being set in a wholly different universe with wholly different linguistics.-Dovydas

I say "Toa Mata" when refering to the story, but sometimes I've found that "Toa Olda" works better to refer to the sets themselves, such as in the example sentence "No, 'Toa Mata' refers to the version of Tahu before he was transformed; that is to say, it's his 'Olda' form." ~ BioGio

"You're a scientist? The proposal you make violates parsimony; it introduces extra unknowns without proof for them. One might as well say unicorns power it."

I called the originals "Toa Mata" as far back as when the Toa Nuva were released. At the time, everything seemed to have a "Mata" in it somewhere. (ok, so it was just the island and the Great Spirit.... I was 8 years old! Two was everything! :P) "Olda" seems like a fanism that wasn't particularly imaginative.

Edited by Hahli Historian

Current Epic: Life is a Blank - last post Jan. 22

My Library: The Esoteric Athenaeum

Member of the Epic Critics' Club

aa0ef09c4ad9bf8017ddec306412e550_zpscff1

When I first heard "Toa Mata" and "Toa Olda," I didn't like either, and just called them "Toa." Now, however, I call them the Toa Mata.

Konuju: Kopaka and Nuju meet the Spear of Fusion

Quotes from throughout the years:

2001: "Your past is forgotten, and your future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer." --Nokama

2002: "Mata Nui faces perhaps its greatest challenge -- one that will test our courage, our strength, and our belief in each other." --Tahu

2003: "So... it has begun, my brother. But soon, it will also end..." --Makuta

2004: "Your journey must end." "By the will of the Great Spirit, it has just begun!" --Makuta and Vakama

2005: "Our destinies are not written in stone, set in place. They are something we have to find for ourselves." --Vakama

2006: "Don't you realize you're fighting for a lost cause?" "Maybe. But don't you realize those are the only ones worth fighting for?" --Axonn and Brutaka

2007: "Sometimes a hero has to do something else besides beat the villains and come home covered in glory." --Hahli

2008: "Dive into the darkness, Ignite the flame within. Now, there is no turning back. Make the future... begin." --Narrator, The Final Battle Animation

2009: "It is said that all endings are merely beginnings waiting to be born." --Mata Nui

2010: "All journeys must come to an end, but this time, there is a new beginning as well. ... All that has gone before, my friends, has only served to give birth to this new day. Let unity, duty and destiny be your guides." --Mata Nui

2011: "Not dead. Just frozen. They’ll thaw out … eventually. I’m tired of villains spouting gibberish." --Kopaka