Set Review: 44028 QUEEN Beast vs. FURNO, EVO & STORMER

44029_Queen_Beast_Review_teaser.jpg

Today it's time to look at another summer Hero Factory set, namely 44029 QUEEN Beast vs. FURNO, EVO & STORMER. BZPower Forum Assistant Nuju Metru has taken a look at the largest Hero Factory set coming out this year and will be sharing his thoughts on it with you all. Will this queen of the invaders break through into your own home or will it lay a big fat goose egg instead? You'll have to read and watch on to find out!

View the full article

The way you have her upper torso posed fixes the problem of the too-long torso in exchange for instead looking like a smaller torso perched on top of a weird long structure connecting the torso and the legs. I dearly wish they had found a better way to build this sort of body because this just looks..... strange. Also, her front legs look so weird as just one long beam instead of having an actual joint. The hand construction is just as weird as it is on Tunneler Beast, though the different thumb and the staff somewhat help with that aspect.

Otherwise, though, Queen Beast is a nice set. It's Queen Beast I'd be buying this set for (so I can reenact her unfortunate murder); the little spider thing is for all intents and purposes just extra parts to me.

I ought to mention that it's really not that unusual not to have a bag for this set, since it's a $35 set and sets over $25 have never had bags. It would be sort of like commenting on how unusual Tuma was for coming in a box instead of a canister like all but one of the other sets from January 2009. Personally, I really prefer the foil pouches to boxes and canisters alike. Canisters had permanence, yes, which meant that unless you used them for storage they became a permanent inconvenience, taking up lots of space. The pouches, which can be pressed flat when empty without ruining their storage potential, effectively take up only as much space as what you use them to hold.

Evo's machine is definitely not the most effective design, but I can't help but appreciate the cleverness of its build. I imagine with longer legs it could be a much more effective model, though it would probably lose something in terms of aesthetics since its squat, low-to-the-ground design gives it a lot of its charm. Likewise, the Queen herself is delightfully non-humanoid, with a great quadrupedal design and lots of articulation.

I should mention that the yellow 4M HF beams are not in fact new recolors, though — Aquagon used them last year, and they also appeared in Evo Walker earlier this year. Actually, the Dark Stone Grey ones used for the Queen herself are newer, since those did not appear in sets until this year. Still not a bad piece. I love me some colored beams.

The Warm Gold talon is also not TECHNICALLY a new recolor, but this is its first appearance in Hero Factory — it previously appeared in 70724 NinjaCopter and 70728 Battle for Ninjago City. I'm proud to own the former but the latter is not yet in my possession.

Good photos and good review of what is generally a pretty nice set!

Edited by Aanchir: Rachira of Time

I like the little beetle-car-thing. It's nice to see the HF torso and build system being used for things that aren't humanoid in nature (though I guess the Queen Beast counts for that, too). And it does have a nice aesthetic.

As for the beast herself... eh. I think the video makes it look much better than the pictures suggest, but I can't help but compare it to Nidhiki, and I feel that the former had much better proportions. The legs and arms just seem too short- it almost makes it look like a caricature of some sort. And those spines just aren't doing it for me. They definitely help with making the backside look less bare, but other than that they seem to have too much articulation. I guess that's just a personal preference, though.

It's hard to pass on a set that contains teal, though.

BZPRPG

I like the little beetle-car-thing. It's nice to see the HF torso and build system being used for things that aren't humanoid in nature (though I guess the Queen Beast counts for that, too). And it does have a nice aesthetic.

As for the beast herself... eh. I think the video makes it look much better than the pictures suggest, but I can't help but compare it to Nidhiki, and I feel that the former had much better proportions. The legs and arms just seem too short- it almost makes it look like a caricature of some sort. And those spines just aren't doing it for me. They definitely help with making the backside look less bare, but other than that they seem to have too much articulation. I guess that's just a personal preference, though.

It's hard to pass on a set that contains teal, though.

I know this is probably fairly well understood, but just to clarify, the ORIGINAL teal color from Kongu in 2001 (Bright Bluish Green) is discontinued and doesn't appear in any Hero Factory sets. This set uses Medium Azur, a new color introduced in 2012 for the LEGO Friends theme, which also appears in Thornraxx and all the beast sets from the first half of this year. It's much, much less greenish than Bright Bluish Green, so unlike certain other colors you probably couldn't use them interchangeably in a MOC. It's closer to Medium Blue (Toa Mata Gali's secondary color) than it is to Bright Bluish Green.

The Queen Beast has a great color scheme in my opinion, same goes for Evo's new walker. While it may have less functions than the original, three legged Evo Walker, i feel this one has a much better color scheme. The yellow and green really shows off the new Evo colors and there is no orange seat to ruin it. 

I feel this is a great set for people new to the Hero Factory theme, as well as those who love minifigures. I do however feel this set might be a bit expensive in some countries, but that is just my opinion. I will more than likely pick up this set.