What happens in that Red Star_

The two Toa had gone about a hundred yards when the lights suddenly went out. Now they could hear movement from all around them. There were whispers, too, but they couldn't make out the words. Kopaka triggered his Akaku Nuva, piercing the walls around him with x-ray vision. In one direction, there was nothing to see but outer space. In the other, he saw things – a lot of things – he could have lived without seeing. When he spoke, his voice was raw....
The sounds were coming closer now. Some sounded like rodents skittering, others like bodies being dragged across a metal floor. At one point, they saw a lighted corridor up ahead, but as they approached, the lights went off there too. Worse, the noises were starting to come from up ahead as well as behind.
    -Quote from The Powers That Be, Chapter 4.

Have you ever wondered what goes on inside the RS? Sure, you can just think of all those people who perished as just magically being healed, but think about it: the Kestora must do something, right? Of course, there's always the possibility that all of you knew this and that this post was completely useless, but maybe that's not so. Because the people in the Bionicle universe are either mechanical or semi-mechanical (No, I didn't say your name, Tren Krom :P), there's a bigger chance that repairing everybody would be a more...Intricate process.

Basically, based on the little info we got about the RS in The powers that be, the revival process seems a bit more dark, ugly, and messy. What do you think about the revival process of the RS?

EDIT: There also needs to be a body and limbs in order to be revived.
Edited by veeder

Signature Guidelines: Avatar and signature total file size may not exceed 250 KB!

I think the Red Star must be full of factories so it can handle all the dead beings who arrive there. There they repair his armor and all that kind of stuff.

There must be also a reactivation center of some sorts. Only assembling parts will not revive a being, after all.

Edited by HoloTheWise

What if, just what IF the following is what's happening up there:

**warning: crazy freakeay weird theory inbound**

Alright well it's not really a theory, but whatever. By re-reading that chapter of TPTB, It's quite obvious, or at least hinted that the Kestora are disturbed in some way regarding all the beings up there, and some might have become quite insane by spending so much time up there with a booming population that shouldn't be happening. Now, since it's stated that it sounds like bodies are being drawn across floors, could it be that the Kestora are just not doing their jobs anymore and have given up on repairing the inhabitants? Methinks that originally they just sort of drag whatever is left of the body then swarm around it and rapidly fix things, since they seem to have arms made for fine labour and precise motions and are smaller than most MU beings.

On another note, it would be interesting to see if some Kestora really were driven mad and recreated many of the inhabitants in more zombie-ish or mutant forms causing them to be all weird and stuff... Now that would be a TPTB that i'd like to read... ;)

Archon                      

"For one to truly feel alive, the person must kill oneself a little bit each and every day."

Check out my MOC, one of the new generation of Toa on Spherus Magna!

***Toa Kyraan***

On another note, it would be interesting to see if some Kestora really were driven mad and recreated many of the inhabitants in more zombie-ish or mutant forms causing them to be all weird and stuff... Now that would be a TPTB that i'd like to read... ;)

Nah, that sort of plot is so overdone it's not at all charming anymore.

I just think they've either given up repairing people for fear that the Star will be overpopulated, or they just don't care anymore.

What if, just what IF the following is what's happening up there:

**warning: crazy freakeay weird theory inbound**

Alright well it's not really a theory, but whatever. By re-reading that chapter of TPTB, It's quite obvious, or at least hinted that the Kestora are disturbed in some way regarding all the beings up there, and some might have become quite insane by spending so much time up there with a booming population that shouldn't be happening. Now, since it's stated that it sounds like bodies are being drawn across floors, could it be that the Kestora are just not doing their jobs anymore and have given up on repairing the inhabitants? Methinks that originally they just sort of drag whatever is left of the body then swarm around it and rapidly fix things, since they seem to have arms made for fine labour and precise motions and are smaller than most MU beings.

Hmm, good theory! Maybe the things that Kopaka saw were those mutant zombie things.

Signature Guidelines: Avatar and signature total file size may not exceed 250 KB!

Since the folks sent up there ended up staying waaaay longer than they were every intended, and if the Kestora aren't doing their jobs anymore or are just overwhelmed, it does seem likely that everything up there is in a kinda gruesome state and coming apart- power shortages, unrepaired folks, folks driven mad, etc. Definitely sounds horrific. Maybe it's a good thing that the beings up in the RS never came down again? Very spooky indeed. Doesn't sound like a very nice place.

Edited by Pomegranate
  • Upvote 1

pomegranate-banner-sm.png .

It's been confirmed that the first time you die, you must at least have an intact brain to be revived. After that you can be revived even after being fully disintegrated, but you will lose any memories from the time between the previous revival and your disintegration. Such "memory backup" only happens when you die for the first time, so if your first death does not leave an intact brain, you are permanently dead.

My own opinion on the Red Star is that it at first seemed like it worst would be a bad excuse to bring back dead characters, and at best an interesting explanation of another of the MU's malfunctioning systems. A middle ground would be a zombie plot of sorts. Personally, I don't really like it anyways, but that's personal taste. The way it's going it appears that whoever is up there is pretty messed up, either from being badly patched up or from going insane.

Edited by Katuko

You need an intact body, so disintegrating is out the question. You get disintegrated = permadead.

Archon                      

"For one to truly feel alive, the person must kill oneself a little bit each and every day."

***Toa Kyraan***

Why don't Krekka, Nidhikki and Nivhawk get sent to it?

Pre-forums purge sig kept for historical purposes:

Some cool Bionicles are the combiners. Example: Toa Jovan

I've built a Krahka with 5 Toa Metru & Toa Norik, adding parts I needed to Norik. It needs 11 blue pieces (the ones that have +&O ends) but there's only 10 in all the Toa Metru sets. Do I have to attach her launcher to her arm? Please PM me if you can help me.

http://www.bzpower.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=309724

Why don't Krekka, Nidhikki and Nivhawk get sent to it?

Not sure if we've gotten a specific denial of this, but it would seem to defeat the point of Teridax's aborbing their mass, no? And since he is antidermis, and antidermis can't be revived, it sounds like the process of absorption converts their protodermis molecules into antidermis. And there's a time delay between death and being teleported up. So, if they were converted before the time delay ran out, there would be nothing to teleport up, theoretically.

• Upvote 1

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

Destiny of every living being thing set in stone. Immutable and eternal.

Actually BS01 states that a being's destiny can alter over the course of their life.

Archon                      

***Toa Kyraan***

Ever since we knew the Red Star was a place where beings are taken to be repaired, I figured the Kestora were meant to -be a part of that process, since the GBs put them there. I'm thinking either the Kestora are somehow behind the malfunction of the red star, or they just got bored after the red star malfunctioned, and are using their time to experiment on beings teleported there.

vartempsig.png

"Don't criticize what you can't understand."

Bob Dylan

Destiny of every living being thing set in stone. Immutable and eternal.

Actually BS01 states that a being's destiny can alter over the course of their life.

BS01 is wrong, then.

Highly unlikely.

I mean, I'm open to your opinion, but I would like to see some evidence of contradiction with BS01. I can think of at least 2 examples of destiny changing off the top of my head.

• Upvote 1

Archon                      

***Toa Kyraan***

You know how Lesovikk's whole team was killed? Would they be up there? Along with other dead toa? Do they still have their memories? 

What if the Kestora are cannibals or just use the parts to upgrade and change themselves instead of bringing them back anymore. Also if the Red Star is full of so many beings brought back, why didn't they all band together and do something to return? So many questions. 

You know how Lesovikk's whole team was killed? Would they be up there?

We don't yet know for sure; Greg has so far not given a definitive answer, but he has suggested they may have been revived and sent back before the Sendback teleporter broke down, and just didn't ever meet up with Lesovikk again. However, they were killed by Zyglak and Greg might have forgotten about their disintegration spears -- if those were used (which sounds consistent with the "hesitated just one moment" thing with Lesovikk), then they couldn't be revived. (But no reason to assume that had to be the method of death. I gave a scenario in my retelling where they wouldn't.)

Along with other dead toa?

If they died after the Sendback teleporter broke, and their brain was intact, presumably yes. Of course, that doesn't mean they survived to story present.

Do they still have their memories?

Well, are you aware of the multiple death option if the brain is gone in your latest death? (See Katuko's post near the start of this topic for example.) Other than that, yes, they would have all their memories.

What if the Kestora are cannibals or just use the parts to upgrade and change themselves instead of bringing them back anymore.

I wouldn't put much past them, given that they were willing to dissect people (apparently after murdering them). But it sounds like they might not have a say in whether somebody gets revived; they're mainly maintenance workers for the RS (of course, if they sabotaged the right equipment it would stop working at all).

Also if the Red Star is full of so many beings brought back, why didn't they all band together and do something to return?

That begs the question of what, if anything, can be done, and that's the sort of thing that we would have learned had the serial continued. We know Gaardus can teleport in and out, and Greg has said Botar might be able to (but might not want to), but repairing the Sendback teleporter might require resources they don't have onboard. Greg's answers also seem to suggest the experience of revival can leave them psychologically disturbed, at least later on, so it may be they weren't able to think this through clearly. Plus, it's possible nobody there has the right knowledge to repair it.

And it's been suggested before that the Kestora may still have some kind of control over the facility -- or some of the inhabitants -- to stop those who would do that. Greg said he wanted it to be a zombie story, after all.

• Upvote 1

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

The red star is a really interesting topic, one that sadly has stopped in its tracks along with all other Bionicle canon.

The thing about the Red Star is that it looks like the Kestora are more than just zombie makers, they're killers. It looks like because of this quote by one of the kestora in TPtB, "'Very well, but if it doesn't work, do we need to end then like the other ones?'" that every time the Kestora repair someone and try to teleport them back to the Mata-Nuiverse (haha! I'm sorry I just feel really proud of myself for that combo... :D ) it doesn't work, and they kill them, or with the whole bodies being dragged around delio they might just disable them to the extent that they practically are just zombies. Remember people, the Kestora are pretty messed up beings, when Takanuva went to another alternate universe, they stole like the city or fortress of another creature by lying to Takanuva that it was actually theirs (my memories a little iffy on that serial, sorry).

I also thing it is notable that I think Gaardus died before. How else would he have gotten up there? He must've died, been revived, but then escaped back into the matoran universe using his teleportation ability.

In the case of Mavrah, it looks like at least him and maybe even some other beings aren't zombies, for they have escaped the Kestora (I assume the Red Star is pretty big with a lot of places to hide because it should be big enough to help the Mata-Nui robot eject itself from a planets orbit).

ALSO, the Kestora revealed that "[They] have too many as it is." meaning that they have too many beings on the Red Star already, because remember the Toa and Matoran were never meant to be their own intelligent species fighting and dying for others, they were meant to be workers keeping the Mata-Nui robot running. The fact that there have been so many wars and deaths than there was expected to be because of this evolution and the fact that they can't send them back explains their actions and might tell us there are others alive on the Red Star other than Mavrah and the Kestora.

They also reveled that they wanted to do a dissection on Kopaka and Pohatu in an attempt to find out why they can't be teleported back, this could be why there are "zombies" of previous people revived dragging themselves around the Red Star. So maybe the Kestora aren't completely killers, they're just like those nasty scientists that torture other human beings and animals "for science".

A lot of theories and ideas have been revealed already in that serial, for those willing to look for them. 

• Upvote 1

I'd say that the characters trapped on the red star had to help the kestora replenish supplies needed to keep mata nui running and dissecting inhabitants. I'm not sure if that includes the dead inhabitants waiting to come back home or they were left alone while the kestora jumped of the red star and travelled to different continents to experiment on the inhabitants. 

If you like Pingu & want to support a good project, click here. Also, I've rejoined the BZPRPG & I have a new profile for a new game. Click here to see it.

I'd say that the characters trapped on the red star had to help the kestora replenish supplies needed to keep mata nui running and dissecting inhabitants. I'm not sure if that includes the dead inhabitants waiting to come back home or they were left alone while the kestora jumped of the red star and travelled to different continents to experiment on the inhabitants. 

There's no evidence that Kestora ever left the Red Star, and once the Sendback teleporter broke, presumably it was impossible (mostly). Anybody they would be experimenting on or murdering would be people trapped on the RS itself.

• Upvote 1

Regarding the RS, isnt it inside the MU? Because then everyone inside is permanently stuck as if they were teleported they would all die, seeing as the robot is currently uninhabitable.

I'm not sure I followed your second sentence here, sorry, so... hope this answers. :) The first looks like you're asking if the Red Star is inside the giant robot. No, it's a booster rocket worn like a backpack when in space, and when the giant lands it splits off and stays in orbit. And the RS currently is in orbit around the reformed Spherus Magna.

Everybody is stuck inside, but not necessarily permanently. If they can fix the teleporter and reprogram its destination to outside the giant, or if they can get Gaardus or others like Botar to teleport them out, that should be safe.

And it would probably be bad to teleport to the MU right now, but it wouldn't necessarily be instantly fatal. There are, after all, salvage teams going through it.

I'm not a huge fan of the Red Star, but I'm glad Greg has put so many restrictions on it. If you're disintegrated you don't get revived, if you lose your head you don't get revived, no Rahi get revived, no creatures made out of Antidermis get revived, etc. The most important thing is that the most important deaths in the story (Matoro, Teridax, all the Makuta) are left intact. Good on that.

I hope Greg can pick up TPTB someday, because it's clear that place is messed up. Sounds as bad, if not worse, than Karzahni. You have a bunch of deranged, murderous lunatics running a place full of beings who went through the trauma of death and are psychologically disturbed. What an ingredient for disaster. I think it's very likely the characters who are confirmed revived (Botar and Hydraxon, for example) are in a very bad state up there.

I find it ironic that we learned about the Red Star's function after that function became obsolete. Since it only teleports  people inside the Matoran Universe, and that's gone now, the MU inhabitants are equal to the SM inhabitants: if they die, they stay dead, with no chance of return (via the RS, at least).

toakopaka.png
Credit goes to Linus Van Pelt (Formerly known as Cherixon) and Spectral Avohkii Enterprises

My Memoirs of the Dead entry, Reflectons:

http://www.bzpower.com/board/index.php?showtopic=7351