Set Review: 44026 Crystal Beast Vs. Bulk

Early on I really liked this set, but after seeing reviews, I'm not so sure. The color scheme and parts are awesome, but as stated in this review, the proportions are awful. I'll still probably end up buying this at some point, though.

"I pitea the fool!"

(quote by Chro)

98.7% OF BZPOWER MEMBERS HAVEN'T SEEN MY BUCKET 

IF YOU ARE ONE OF THE 1.3% THAT HAS SEEN MY BUCKET, COPY THIS AND PASTE IT INTO YOUR SIGNATURE

I MISS MY BUCKET 

I honestly think this set's wonky proportions help it to look more monstrous and reduce the generic humanoid look, but I agree that as far as the build is concerned it's easily the most boring of the summer sets.

The first wave of beasts was all right, but it bothered me that so many were simple, bipedal builds without very creative builds or armor. The summer wave brings some more variety in the form of Tunneler Beast and Queen Beast, but Crystal Beast's main selling point is his color scheme, and that speaks volumes about how mundane the build is.

I honestly wouldn't be bothered much by the hands if they had better thumbs like Queen Beast's. For some reason they just don't feel "robotic" to me, at least, no more than a constraction set tends to look inherently. I'm glad he can grip a hero better than Tunneler Beast. That, together with the staff, makes the hands serve more of a purpose than just looking scary.

Good review overall! This set is not currently on my wish list, but it's still cool — just not as fresh and exciting as the other summer sets.

It's disappointing to read your criticisms- I thought early on that between the piece colors and the overall look of the creature that this would be a highlight of the wave. But even if the build isn't that great, the color scheme and pieces make it worth a buy in my book. The few HF sets I've bought were purely for parts anyway so the build, while disappointing to read about, isn't a factor for me.

Thanks for the review!

BZPRPG

There isn't too much that interests me from this set. The Crystal Beast looks like a very standard and simple humanoid figure. It looks to be slightly wonky and not too stable. I do however really like this color scheme. I find it to be very unique and the green goes well with the translucent cyan-ish blue.

I may get this set, but mainly for the colors and the Bulk minifigure.