• Create Account

Welcome to BZPower!

Hi there, while we hope you enjoy browsing through the site, there's a lot more you can do if you register. The process is easy and you can use your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account to make it even faster. Some perks of joining include:
  • Create your own topics, participate in existing discussions, and vote in polls
  • Show off your creations, stories, art, music, and movies and play member and staff-run games
  • Enter contests to win free LEGO sets and other prizes, and vote to decide the winners
  • Participate in raffles, including exclusive raffles for new members, and win free LEGO sets
  • Send private messages to other members
  • Organize with other members to attend or send your MOCs to LEGO fan events all over the world
  • Much, much more!
Enjoy your visit!

Photo

LEGO Ideas Exo Suit Revealed

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Hapori Tohu

Hapori Tohu
  • None
  • Heart of BZPower

• 1,305 posts
  •  

Posted Jul 04 2014 - 07:30 AM

The LEGO Ideas team has finally revealed the long-awaited Exo Suit set by Peter Reid with a pretty awesome video animated and directed by LEGO fan Chris Salt, including green classic space minifigures. The seventh LEGO Ideas set so far will become available on LEGO.com and in LEGO Stores early August. I think it's fantastic to see such cool projects come into fruition from LEGO Ideas and I'm confident we've still got a lot of awesome projects ahead of us. Read on to watch the video!

View the full article

#2 Offline ShadowWolfHount

ShadowWolfHount
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Scavenger Va

• 658 posts
  •  

Posted Jul 04 2014 - 10:29 AM

Well, it look like those picture and small video was for the Exo Suit after all. Anyway this look like it's going to be a great set and have amazing parts for MOCs, I just going to love those T pieces and Exo-Force arms  :D. Also having a green Spaceman instead of a white one is great and I think it maybe going to have Zane head.

Edited by ShadowWolfHount, Jul 04 2014 - 10:31 AM.

image.php?u=47115&dateline=1334913320

:voyanui: Find Me On :voyanui: 
Flickr 10.gif MOCpages 10.gif Youtube

#3 Offline Lucina

Lucina
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Nobody suspects a thing

• 2,381 posts
  •  

Posted Jul 04 2014 - 11:18 AM

>blue connector-axles connecting the ankle piece

that's gonna bug the heck out of me

lucinabanner.png

#4 Offline Vorahk1Panrahk2

Vorahk1Panrahk2
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Toa Nuva Defeated

• 3,906 posts
  •  

Posted Jul 04 2014 - 11:26 AM

Not a super huge fan of the model, but the parts used to make it are great. I'll buy one just as a parts pack!

kellssunset.jpg

BZPRPG Profiles

#5 Offline Obsessionist

Obsessionist
  • Premier Member
    BioniLUG Member
  • Premier Members
  • Emerging Fluidic Master

• 1,276 posts
  •  

Posted Jul 04 2014 - 11:52 AM

I'm impressed at how much greeble-y goodness they managed to keep while keeping the connections legal.  It looks great!

1395440177m_SPLASH.jpg

#6 Offline Aanchir

Aanchir
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Another Chir Brother

• 4,093 posts
  •  

Posted Jul 04 2014 - 12:09 PM

I'm impressed at how much greeble-y goodness they managed to keep while keeping the connections legal.  It looks great!

It's not a huge surprise to me. People who think only illegal connections can be used to create intricate details are simply failing to explore all the options at their disposal. Everyone had so many irrational concerns about how difficult it would be to make this model using legal connections when really, the only obvious illegal connections were the construction of the rollcage, the pins in the upper legs, and arguably the elbows — most everything else simply needed to be rethought slightly for sturdiness and to use current parts rather than retired ones.

Edited by Aanchir: Rachira of Time, Jul 04 2014 - 12:09 PM.

hs01_sig.png recommends the following sites:
bs01_banner.png hs01_banner.pngtnw_banner.pngtcw-banner.png

#7 Offline Takanuinuva

Takanuinuva
  • Members
  • Makuta Conquered!

• 588 posts
  •  

Posted Jul 04 2014 - 12:40 PM

This is really cool. This might be my first Ideas set I buy. I hope the robot turtle is included.

:smiletol: I am Takanui Nuva. The Toa Nuva of Light :smiletol:
11.gifI also go by Baron Von Brickstein 11.gif

Even when things look there worst. And the shadow of evil is upon us. Remember that as long as we hope for the best. Light will appear and overcome the darkness.

Please check out my projects on Lego Ideas.9.gif
https://ideas.lego.c...kstein/projects

I'm looking for an Inkay or Malamar with its event move Happy Hour. Pm if you have one I can borrow to breed and pass the move down so I can have an Inkay with the move for myself.

Friend Code- 0216-0827-9119

#8 Offline Aanchir

Aanchir
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Another Chir Brother

• 4,093 posts
  •  

Posted Jul 04 2014 - 12:55 PM

This is really cool. This might be my first Ideas set I buy. I hope the robot turtle is included.

According to this image on Brickset, it will be! Pretty cool since that wasn't part of the original project, but is one of Pete Reid's trademark models.

#9 Offline Takanuinuva

Takanuinuva
  • Members
  • Makuta Conquered!

• 588 posts
  •  

Posted Jul 04 2014 - 01:43 PM

According to this image on Brickset, it will be! Pretty cool since that wasn't part of the original project, but is one of Pete Reid's trademark models.

Nice and you get both Minifigures as well. Its surprising how close to the original model it looks. And they didn't even need to use Mixels joints.

Even when things look there worst. And the shadow of evil is upon us. Remember that as long as we hope for the best. Light will appear and overcome the darkness.

I'm looking for an Inkay or Malamar with its event move Happy Hour. Pm if you have one I can borrow to breed and pass the move down so I can have an Inkay with the move for myself.

#10 Offline Aanchir

Aanchir
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Another Chir Brother

• 4,093 posts
  •  

Posted Jul 04 2014 - 01:55 PM

Nice and you get both Minifigures as well. Its surprising how close to the original model it looks. And they didn't even need to use Mixels joints.

Yeah, I was a bit surprised by that! I totally expected those to be useful for replicating the articulation with more sturdy techniques. But perhaps they just don't have enough friction to support a model this size in the long term.

#11 Offline Liopleurodon

Liopleurodon
  • Members
  • Scavenger Va

• 654 posts
  •  

Posted Jul 04 2014 - 02:10 PM

Pretty excited to see those green Spacemen. :)

-Insert signature here-

#12 Offline xccj

xccj
  • Premier Member
    BioniLUG Member
  • Premier Reporters
  • Senior Staff Mask Maker

• 6,476 posts
  •   BZP Reporter

Posted Jul 04 2014 - 02:50 PM

>blue connector-axles connecting the ankle piece

that's gonna bug the heck out of me

But it doesn't appear to be using 2L red axles, so that's a plus.

I'll admit that I wasn't very into this set when it first passed, but now I'm sold. The design looks great, and I'm glad its not monocolored like the original. And green space guy and gal are awesome!

:music:

b-bolin-03.jpg

#13 Offline Aanchir

Aanchir
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Another Chir Brother

• 4,093 posts
  •  

Posted Jul 04 2014 - 03:09 PM

I don't think there is any rational reason for colored pins to bother anybody on this model. A few splashes of color don't ruin a model, especially when so many real-life machines might have splashes of color in their wiring, labels, and other fine details.

It confuses me to no end that colored pins still bother some people even when they're used incredibly sparingly. Would you be bothered by the splashes of color on this machine or this one? For that matter, would you be bothered by the rectangular yellow lights on this Exo-Suit's feet? Then why would a few blue circles on the elbows and ankles or even, hypothetically, red crosses on the lower legs bother you? And I mean other than a bizarre ingrained hatred of blue and red pins in all their applications.

Edited by Aanchir: Rachira of Time, Jul 04 2014 - 03:10 PM.

#14 Offline Takanuinuva

Takanuinuva
  • Members
  • Makuta Conquered!

• 588 posts
  •  

Posted Jul 04 2014 - 03:12 PM

Yeah, I was a bit surprised by that! I totally expected those to be useful for replicating the articulation with more sturdy techniques. But perhaps they just don't have enough friction to support a model this size in the long term.

That might be the reason. I tried replacing the Hero Factory bone legs on my skeleton dragon with brick built legs using Mixels joints and it wouldn't stay standing. They have good friction just not as much as the Hero Factory bones.

I think I will buy this set once it comes out. I wonder what the price point will be? I'd guess somewhere around 30 to 40 dollars USD

#15 Offline Gatanui

Gatanui
  • Reporters
  • Senior News Finder

• 11,020 posts
  •   BZP Reporter

Posted Jul 04 2014 - 03:23 PM

Am I the only one who the visual style, music and atmosphere of the video remind of the game Q.U.B.E.?

-Gata signoff.png

Edited by Gatanui, Jul 04 2014 - 03:59 PM.

Please don't use my avatar without permission, thanks ^_^

#16 Offline Ballom

Ballom
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Outstanding BZP Citizens
  • Great Disks Recovered

• 9,532 posts
  •   Outstanding BZPower Citizen

Posted Jul 04 2014 - 03:54 PM

I'm more excited for this set than I have been for any in a long time. I can't wait to get one!

~B~

sands_banner.jpg

#17 Offline Makaru

Makaru
  • Premier Member
    BioniLUG Member
  • Premier Forum Leaders
  • Senior Not So Grump

• 11,411 posts
  •   BZP Leader

Posted Jul 04 2014 - 05:59 PM

UUUUGGGHHHH. This is terrible news. I want 20 of them.

Edited by Makaru, Jul 04 2014 - 05:59 PM.

Wait, that didn't really happen

Sorry, let me get rebooted

This is where the plot gets a little convoluted

~Bionicle, 2015

#18 Offline Smooth Jazz

Smooth Jazz
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Emerging Flying Force

• 2,227 posts
  •  

Posted Jul 04 2014 - 09:36 PM

Surprising to see a set with such a technic-heavy construction. Anyway, this looks rather good. I was wondering how they would manage to build a stable model based on the project, but it seems like they succeeded. 

Posted Image

SCM-541: The White Viper

Winner of BBCC 68!

(Formerly known as The Swimming Beard)

#19 Offline ShadowWolfHount

ShadowWolfHount
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Scavenger Va

• 658 posts
  •  

Posted Jul 04 2014 - 10:28 PM

I do like that they didn't use the Mixels joins and it not just because of friction but it also fits a lot better with Technic joints then Mixels, also wish they used a different color instead of dark gray or is it going to be black... again (I would like if they made it a light gray).

As for the Minifigures, I do like that they put in both of them instead of one but is the spaceman face going to be new face or face that we already seen, I can't tell, I think we know what the spacewomen head is going to be but I still think the spaceman face is going to be Zane face.

I also love that LEGO added the robot turtle.

#20 Offline Lucina

Lucina
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Nobody suspects a thing

• 2,381 posts
  •  

Posted Jul 04 2014 - 11:28 PM

I don't think there is any rational reason for colored pins to bother anybody on this model. A few splashes of color don't ruin a model, especially when so many real-life machines might have splashes of color in their wiring, labels, and other fine details.

It confuses me to no end that colored pins still bother some people even when they're used incredibly sparingly. Would you be bothered by the splashes of color on this machine or this one? For that matter, would you be bothered by the rectangular yellow lights on this Exo-Suit's feet? Then why would a few blue circles on the elbows and ankles or even, hypothetically, red crosses on the lower legs bother you? And I mean other than a bizarre ingrained hatred of blue and red pins in all their applications.

The point wasn't the color. I should have been clearer. What I meant was that connecting the feet with connector-axles compromises the integrity of the connection by allowing it to sway at that point.

In other words, if you have any ideas for one-footed poses with this model, chances are it's not happening.

a dislike of pieces that stick out in most every situation seems perfectly rational to me, though.

lucinabanner.png

#21 Offline Gatanui

Gatanui
  • Reporters
  • Senior News Finder

• 11,020 posts
  •   BZP Reporter

Posted Jul 05 2014 - 07:27 AM

I think I'm actually going to get this one. Looks like a really fun set to build and also quite cool to have on display.

-Gata signoff.png

#22 Offline ShadowWolfHount

ShadowWolfHount
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Scavenger Va

• 658 posts
  •  

Posted Jul 05 2014 - 10:17 PM

I seen what the head they are using for the Spaceman on Brickset and it's awesome that they are using Zane head for something other then Ninjago.

So now Cole is a Pirate and Zane is a Spaceman, what other set besides Ninjago is Lloyd, Kai, Jay and maybe Garmadon heads are going to be in?

Edited by ShadowWolfHount, Jul 05 2014 - 10:30 PM.

#23 Offline Toarobot18

Toarobot18
  • Members
  • Conqueror of the Swarm!

• 726 posts
  •  

Posted Jul 05 2014 - 11:32 PM

Is it bad if I saw the title of this topic in the forum index and thought it had to do with the design for the Exo-Toa sets?

Posted Image
Credit to Zeddy! ------------------- Click the banner above!
And please also enjoy my other fine comedies:
The Bionicle Entrepreneur - Nuva Join the Navy - Toy Wars - A Comedy of Comics

#24 Offline Gatanui

Gatanui
  • Reporters
  • Senior News Finder

• 11,020 posts
  •   BZP Reporter

Posted Jul 06 2014 - 05:14 AM

Is it bad if I saw the title of this topic in the forum index and thought it had to do with the design for the Exo-Toa sets?

No, it isn't and I bet you're not the only one. :P

-Gata signoff.png

#25 Offline Smitty

Smitty
  • Members
  • Emerging Stone Champion

• 1,424 posts
  •  

Posted Jul 08 2014 - 09:26 AM

I need this, and Ecto-1, and I mean NEED!

"NINJA GO!"

"Yeah Ninja go clean your room..."

#26 Offline Solomon Kane

Solomon Kane
  • Members
  • Lightning Voyager

• 340 posts
  •  

Posted Jul 08 2014 - 11:19 AM

I wonder what the price point will be? I'd guess somewhere around 30 to 40 dollars USD

$34.99, according to TBB. Seems quite reasonable to me, so I'll definitely be picking one up. Not sure I can afford/justify getting two; I generally only bother with one copy of any given set no matter how amazing it is, but I'm genuinely tempted by the idea with this one. Time (and finances) will tell, I suppose.  

2014-09-19_Announcement_1.jpg

"It is told that there exists a mask that will grant its bearer unspeakable power. Made from raw magic and solid gold, it is an artifact crafted with absolute precision and timeless skill--

it is the Mask of Creation."

#27 Offline Tanu Toa of Earth

Tanu Toa of Earth
  • Members
  • Toa

• 146 posts
  •  

Posted Jul 09 2014 - 05:14 PM

By Mata Nui, that's awesome... I'm considering buying it, but sadly I probably won't :|

Posted Image

#28 Offline fishers64

fishers64
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Outstanding BZP Citizens
  • Mask of Light Unveiled

• 5,227 posts
  •   Outstanding BZPower Citizen

Posted Jul 09 2014 - 05:41 PM

Do we have a piece count for this? I'm not sure I want to pay $35 for 192 all-gray parts. :shrugs:

#29 Offline Aanchir

Aanchir
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Another Chir Brother

• 4,093 posts
  •  

Posted Jul 09 2014 - 05:48 PM

Do we have a piece count for this? I'm not sure I want to pay $35 for 192 all-gray parts. :shrugs:

321 parts. Brickset has a pretty good review (part 1, part 2, part 3). It's definitely a substantial set, and with some rare parts to boot!

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users