racial tensions

There seem to be. Just read The Powers That Be.

Pohatu nodded. A cluster of Agori nearby caught his attention. They were whispering among themselves and pointing toward the Toa. Rumors were already spreading about a murder in the desert. Pohatu wondered if the Agori were thinking that he and Kopaka had not just found the body, but had done the killing.

Looks like we have one more reason to find Lesovikk, he thought. And it had better be soon.

The Agori aren't a trusting people by experience, and to be honest, if thousands upon thousands of biomechanical beings, all physically much stronger and tougher than organic beings, emerged from a downed space robot and said, "Hey, we're living on your planet now, you cool with that?", I'd be... skeptical, to say the least.

I imagine some Agori think the biomechs aren't much more than robots, and some might extend their resentment towards the Great Beings to their creations. Relations could go very poorly if, say, some criminal or cruel-hearted biomechs happened to take advantage of the Agori's slim resources and meager numbers.

"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
-- Harlan Ellison

If a massive robot crashed down to Earth and fixed every one of our environmental problems and all the weird biomechanical bots inside of it just started living here, I think there might be a little bit of backlash, however undeserved it might be.

• Upvote 6

tumblr_ng1pw4xLEM1tryxewo1_1280.jpg

If a massive robot crashed down to Earth and fixed every one of our environmental problems and all the weird biomechanical bots inside of it just started living here, I think there might be a little bit of backlash, however undeserved it might be.

"This just proves global warming was a conspiracy all along! They arranged with this giant robot to set us all up and take away our freedom!"

...Yeah, I can see that. Agori society probably has the same kind of knuckleheads. :P

• Upvote 5
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
-- Harlan Ellison

The situation isn't exactly comparable, Sumiki. Our planet is still inhabitable, and we're not exactly struggling to survive in an utter desert wasteland. Our environmental problems are nothing compared to the disaster those people had to live in. 

I mean, even optimistic spunky Kiina wanted to go somewhere else. That's how bad it was. 

• Upvote 1

The situation isn't exactly comparable, Sumiki. Our planet is still inhabitable, and we're not exactly struggling to survive in an utter desert wasteland. Our environmental problems are nothing compared to the disaster those people had to live in.

Give it a few decades.
  • Upvote 6

tumblr_ng1pw4xLEM1tryxewo1_1280.jpg

It's funny you all should mention this because I just started playing with the idea of a fanfic where there's heated discrimination against the MU originals in a fashion reminiscent to the time of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Think about it. They are largely unknown. Yes, there leader healed their planet, but armies of rahkshi and skakdi still attacked their planet. Plus the dark hunters, the barraki, and some other nasty individuals from the MU are still loose. Do you really think they are going to stay quiet? The Matoran would need political influence to keep relations relatively good between the two species.

new_sig_legacy_2.png

I think the tensions would come down to "too good to be true"-ism. When you live that long with things being so bad, a lot of people would be suspicious of such plentiful resources, or rather the beings who came along with it. I think the key to this is the final war -- the Glatorian were forced to rally around Tahu, and he saved many of their lives, and Mata Nui likewise saved them against Makuta himself (and was there previously to get things ready). Had Mata Nui just showed up with no Teridax (evil) takeover, and the two giants healed the planet, and then the now-sapient beings came out, the "too good to be true" idea of this "gift" would probably be in the front of their minds. Instead, what is burning in their memories is that they had to work together to earn it against impossible odds, even if the natives did have very little time to prepare for it.

So, they don't quite think of it as somebody else just coming and helping them, and demanding living space in return. Fact is they were well aware they were actually helping Mata Nui out of a desperate situation, and he had to work to convince them the danger would come to them too, and then it did and they experienced it themselves. As countless stories have featured, such as the first Harry Potter, situations like that tend to be bonding for those who fight together through them.

But there would undoubtedly be some tensions nonetheless, and a lot will depend on initial behavior. Simple mistakes early on could lead to long-lasting antagonism, but also good decisions made for those early years could lead to long-lasting trust.

• Upvote 2

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

Couldn't MU inhabitants eat the Agori with just their hands?

• Upvote 4

In the time before time, the Great Spirit descended from the heavens, carrying with him the ones called the Matoran, to this island paradise. We were separate and without purpose, so the great spirit blessed us with the Three Virtues: Unity, Duty and Destiny. We embraced these gifts and in gratitude named our home Mata Nui, after the great spirit himself.

Dude, what even?

I know what you're talking about, but, that's disgusting!

First off, agori are too big for that. Second off, we're trying to get the two groups to live together peacefully. Eating one of the other doesn't help your case. At all.

This is about as messed up as when I saw that Nuparu basically made the boxors out of former Matoran...

• Upvote 1

new_sig_legacy_2.png

Lol, horror fanfic fodder, I guess. :P But really, it's unlikely the Agori would expect them to do that. Some of the other MU species they might fear for that reason, maybe... A few Agori might think of it anyways. But doubt it.

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

Also what i SM like now? is there any desert left and are the black spike mountins still there? also where is the MU lying?

wearewaiting.gif

As long as there is one bionicle fan out there there is still hope for bionicle to return. Keep faith. Bionicle is amazing.

Also what i SM like now? is there any desert left and are the black spike mountins still there? also where is the MU lying?

The Great Spirit Robot was driven north by Mata Nui and was said to have crushed some of the Black Spike Mountains when it fell, so I'd say that's where it's lying. Although Teridax liquefied another of the Black Spikes earlier in the battle, I'd wager at least a few of them are left. They did seem to take a beating, though.

I believe Greg also confirmed that there is some desert left, but I'm not sure where. There might be small pockets of desert spread across Bara Magna, or perhaps there's just one middle-sized area of wasteland that wasn't undone.

• Upvote 1
-- Harlan Ellison

Oh man I'm lol-ing so hard at this. YES. THIS IS HOW YOU END RACIAL TENSIONS. EAT THE OTHER RACES.

**envisions Baccano/Bionicle crossover fanfic**

Edited by Kopekemaster
  • Upvote 2
rsz_screenshot_from_un_chien_andalou.jpg
My Writing Blog (more writing coming soon!)

My Bionicle/LEGO Blog (defunct)

Hyfudiar on Spotify (noise/drone/experimental music)

It's funny you all should mention this because I just started playing with the idea of a fanfic where there's heated discrimination against the MU originals in a fashion reminiscent to the time of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Think about it. They are largely unknown. Yes, there leader healed their planet, but armies of rahkshi and skakdi still attacked their planet. Plus the dark hunters, the barraki, and some other nasty individuals from the MU are still loose. Do you really think they are going to stay quiet? The Matoran would need political influence to keep relations relatively good between the two species.

Huh, same here. Ever since doing a unit in history in the Civil Rights Movement.

I'd imagine there would be tension if they are anything like us humans. We love to find things to discriminate about, and I mean biomechs are pretty much machines made by GBs rather than living tissue organisms like the Agori.

• Upvote 1

Well, I'm glad that I'm not the only person who thinks this.

The MU are basically made for Mata Nui. The majority of their lives revolve around him (or at least it used to).

Agori are the chief inhabitants of the Bionicle Universe, taking up the largest chunk of what was Spherus Magna before Mata Nui undid the events of the Shattering. They would probably think of themselves as the supreme race; they were just about the Great Beings' primary creation.

The Matoran are a race alien to that of the Agori.

Agori have violent tendencies (they settle disputes by sending out champions to fight in their tribes' names).

These two races are nigh polar opposites, and the Agori will most likely think themselves superior. Matoran are a race made for labor, while the Agori were made just to inhabit the empty space of Spherus Magna.

Yay! Fonts!!

Well, I'm glad that I'm not the only person who thinks this.

The MU are basically made for Mata Nui. The majority of their lives revolve around him (or at least it used to).

Agori are the chief inhabitants of the Bionicle Universe, taking up the largest chunk of what was Spherus Magna before Mata Nui undid the events of the Shattering. They would probably think of themselves as the supreme race; they were just about the Great Beings' primary creation.

The Matoran are a race alien to that of the Agori.

Agori have violent tendencies (they settle disputes by sending out champions to fight in their tribes' names).

These two races are nigh polar opposites, and the Agori will most likely think themselves superior. Matoran are a race made for labor, while the Agori were made just to inhabit the empty space of Spherus Magna.

To our knowledge, Agori were not made by the Great Beings.

QED.

• Upvote 1
-- Harlan Ellison

It's confirmed they weren't.

Another nitpick, Meta -- the grammar of your sentence on Spherus Magna is confusing, and makes it sound like it was called SM just before the Reforming, which it wasn't, but that's probably not how you meant it. Just FTR. :P

There's a more serious issue with the reasoning, though. Well, two -- Agori live in a world already filled with a lot of different kinds of beings, and live harmoniously with at least one other species, the Glatorian. They have experience at being accepting of different people. The other is that they aren't really violent; the Glatorian system was actually a way to settle their disputes without resorting to war. It was a pushback against the older way of leaping to the option of war, so was a move toward peacefulness, indicating they would likely actually desire the Matoran's way even more. (And it made the Glatorian be the ones to actually use violence in the arena, not the Agori, usually, though Agori sometimes participated.)

Your overall point that the differences could lead to tensions still works, though.

• Upvote 2

I'm probably gonna look stupid for asking this, but agori and glatorian are two different species? I thought glatorian were just really really buff agori.

Well, it depends on how you define "species", but BS01 lists them as species, and Greg said they can't reproduce together. But, if by "buff" you mean "tall", that's probably what they are. But the specific label you use was not my point, but that they are physically different, and Agori look past that and get along with them in general. So, they don't seem to fall easily for "different equals bad" fallacy.

• Upvote 2

I don't know, in Raid on Vulcanus and other 2009 material, a lot of Agori seemed intimidated by the Glatorian, and would rather not have them around.  :confused:

With regards to Glatorian being tall Agori, that's a theory to which I subscribe as well. What with the implants and technology afforded by the Great Beings, anything's possible, ya know?

-- Harlan Ellison

Well, it's one thing to feel that way about the Toa/Turaga/Matoran, but they aren't the only species out there... we've got the Vortixx, the Skakdi, Zyglak, and whatever species each of the dark hunters belong to, etc. I have a feeling there's gonna be quite a lot of variety around instead of being only two types of people so yeah...

• Upvote 1

Animation_Mangaia.png.e38a5644c8a08bfd4c488514025b5017.png

Formerly Iron_Man5

I mean, the Matoran aren't exactly cool with the Dark Hunters and Skakdi and Vortixx, at least some of them anyway. The Agori/Glatorian might even be slightly more accepting of the latter groups, and that could lead to conflict. (Skakdi...:shrugs:)

On the other hand, the Agori/Glatorian society ostracizes and exiles criminals, so on that note Matoran and Agori are more likely to agree. I think the bigger tensions are going to be between the Matoran/Toa/Agori/Glatorian group and the Dark Hunters/Skakdi/Vortixx than in between the Matoran/Agori. At least for now, the threats that they are facing out there are more potent than the causes for internal strife.

What I think might be a bigger deal is that the Toa have powers and abilities, etc, and the Glatorian do not, which can create the "they will rule us all" fear in the Agori/Glatorian group. Velika might make that worse. 

It's confirmed they weren't.

Another nitpick, Meta -- the grammar of your sentence on Spherus Magna is confusing, and makes it sound like it was called SM just before the Reforming, which it wasn't, but that's probably not how you meant it. Just FTR. :P

There's a more serious issue with the reasoning, though. Well, two -- Agori live in a world already filled with a lot of different kinds of beings, and live harmoniously with at least one other species, the Glatorian. They have experience at being accepting of different people. The other is that they aren't really violent; the Glatorian system was actually a way to settle their disputes without resorting to war. It was a pushback against the older way of leaping to the option of war, so was a move toward peacefulness, indicating they would likely actually desire the Matoran's way even more. (And it made the Glatorian be the ones to actually use violence in the arena, not the Agori, usually, though Agori sometimes participated.)

Your overall point that the differences could lead to tensions still works, though.

Many agori were fearfull of the glatorian.

wearewaiting.gif

As long as there is one bionicle fan out there there is still hope for bionicle to return. Keep faith. Bionicle is amazing.

As far as I can tell, everyone is focusing on the point of view of the Bara Magna natives, which I found interesting :P When I thought about the question I went to the idea that maybe the MU inhabitants, with their superior strength and mechanical advantages and various powers and whatnot could very easily think themselves superior and be the unreasonable ones, giving the Bara Magna folks good reason to be distrusting or nervous around them. On the other hand, I'd assume that the BM natives would make it clear that SM was originally their world and not take very kindly to having to share it, giving the MU beings reason to feel threatened and out of place. There's a million different reasons for two very different groups to clash over their differences and I think it all depends on their cultures. The Matoran, at least, have their Unity Duty Destiny and general peaceful nature going for them, and I'd guess that aside from outright baddies the rest of the MU would be similarly friendly and willing to work together. The Agori and the other tribes or whatever would prolly not make that big a fuss if the their new neighbors cooperated and showed respect.

I guess what I'm saying is that there are a lot of angles to it and a lot of potential sources of tension, and while the tension would most definitely be there no matter what, it probably would not escalate to anything more than that and have something bad come of it based on what we've seen of both the Organics and the Mechanicals unless one group decides they are outright better than the other and starts getting aggressive about it, which I think is super unlikely and not very Bioncle-y. 

pomegranate-banner-sm.png .

I imagine there might be some trouble, but if thousands of the perfect workers showed up to a society in need of a complete reconstruction infrastructure wise, I imagine the help would be welcome. Of course, on the same token, there are gangs of warlike Skakdi, 5/6 Barraki warlords, The Dark Hunters, a very unhappy Velika, and other individual bad guys, not to mention a world's worth of wild animals(some of which are very dangerous; Visorak and Crystal Serpents come to mind), there's bound to be some trouble. And while that's bad for both civilizations, it gives them more of a reason to band together.

So, no I don't think there will be too many problems. Besides, the Agori will be quite the minority. I doubt they would even make a dent in the Matoran population if they collectively decided to start a war.

leechfoam.gif "Copy and paste me into your sig! The shadows command you!"

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

tarakavabanner.jpg

#tumaislove,tumaislife