BZpower's golden days

boston100

I only join BZP after bionicle was discontinued and i was wondering what BZP was like in its prime. I was also wondering how many acitve members we have now?

• Upvote 1

wearewaiting.gif

As long as there is one bionicle fan out there there is still hope for bionicle to return. Keep faith. Bionicle is amazing.

Let's just say that back in it's prime, BZPower got upwards of 500 users on the forums at one time. Not sure about how many active users we have now, but it's certainly gone down since Bionicle's end.

-Rez

I joined in 2010 (four years ago day :P), and the forums were pretty crazy back then. You could post a story in Short Stories and it could be off the first page of the forum in like a day. Topics were closed and redirected to 225-page long official topics. News was about Bionicle. Bionicle serial updates were big news and could run two or three pages before I even got there. 

There was no way I could read though all of the active topics and posts at any given time. These days I can cycle through my forums of choice and the blogs in about an hour, maybe two if it's a good day. It's been a long time since I've gotten behind or had to skip a topic because of lack of time and sheer volume of topics. 

• Upvote 3

^^^^

That reminds me of how special one felt to keep their topic on the front page (of a forum, not the site) back in the day. I remember having pages and pages of replies to my comics and having trouble replying to them all. I also remember, as fishers mentioned, having to pick and choose between topics because there were too many to read. :P 

While personally I don't care too much to see Bionicle return, in the interest of BZP, I really do hope Bionicle does return. I'd love to see BZPower how it used to be, or at least half of what it used to be. I'm just incredibly happy we're still going strong! Can't wait to see where BZP goes in the next couple of years. :D

-Rez

Server busy messages were still a thing, because people wanted to be entertained whenever the server needed one of its frequent burping sessions.

In all seriousness, this place was a bit of a madhouse. Activity was absolutely through the roof, and fame and popularity was much more dependent upon quantity and luck than from occasional quality contributions. It was, in its most basic form, akin to living in a big city, where you would not be missed should you decide to leave and never return.

Contrast that with what BZPower is now. Although the slow but steady decrease in activity continues to be on the minds of many who have dedicated extensive time and effort towards making this site better in all regards, it's no longer the suffocating big city. It is now a small town, where one is never more than two degrees of separation from anyone else. Any community is going to have problems, but now we're small enough to have things like the Tracker, gradual relaxation of vestigial rules and regulations, etc. Such things would be impossible, unthinkable to the point of laughter in the so-called golden days.

The golden days golden indeed, if activity is one's standard.

Edited by Sumiki
  • Upvote 9

tumblr_ng1pw4xLEM1tryxewo1_1280.jpg

more or less the same type of activity you would see from a relatively large forum (100 - 500, sometimes a few hundred more, on at once with a lot of threads being posted across various forums, with lots of posts being written for each, people would have daily posts of 50 - 100~ish [especially if they were RPers], that sort of thing). it was a lot busier, basically (which often meant server would be overworked and give you some big red messages, which used to have little witty sayings and poems in them i will always miss, along with the bubblewrap game). 

When I joined, now over ten years ago, activity was steady and discussion very healthy. There was always something new to see and talk about, without it becoming overwhelming. The creative sector was very vibrant, taking the official characters and storyline in all sorts of new directions. Most members were known personally to each other, and enforcement of the rules tended to be infrequent. It was a warm, healthy and relaxed community.

It was around the mid-2000s that the site experienced something of a population explosion, and I feel the effects were largely negative. The server was under almost constant strain, and trying to visit the forums led you to a 'Board Message' almost as often as to the forums themselves. These didn't fare much better. Many topics were pointless, bordering on spam, and became bloated with dozens of equally pointless replies. Amongst so many members and posts, it was difficult to get a proper reply to anything you posted or even be noticed without being a staff member. Many of the rules were unnecessarily strict and often enforced in a rather arbitrary manner. There was also a lot of bitterness relating to the stylistic direction taken by Bionicle around then. Frankly I don't have especially fond memories of that time period.

A lot has been made of the 'decline in activity' since Bionicle ended and the downtime, but I think a lot of it's been for the better. The rules have been relaxed slightly and the board greatly enhanced by new features. There aren't as many topics and posts to wade through, and the quality of writing and discussion is much higher. In its essence I feel the site is quite a bit closer to how it was when I joined. The only major negative has been the lack of discussion relating to official Lego content, and the subsequent shift of many posts and members to the RPG and COT forums. But with the new constraction theme and/or perhaps the return of Bionicle itself on the way, that could change.

Edited by Sir Kohran
  • Upvote 3

The nicest thing about the old BZP was that stuff was actually happening. There was activity. Hundreds of members could be active at any given moment, all posting and making new threads. Most of these threads got buried within a few days time, but it was a small price to pay for all the great hubbub.

When the forums were taken down for half a year (or was it longer?) I think that was what really killed people's interest in this place. Bionicle's cancellation didn't help, but at least they were still trying to make conversation before the seemingly eternal downtime. Nowadays, if you make a thread, it'll stay on page one for months. That's like a 90% decrease in activity.

Edited by TheSkeletonMan939
  • Upvote 2

The nicest thing about the old BZP was that stuff was actually happening. There was activity. Hundreds of members could be active at any given moment, all posting and making new threads. Most of these threads got buried within a few days time, but it was a small price to pay for all the great hubbub.

When the forums were taken down for half a year (or was it longer?) I think that was what really killed people's interest in this place. Bionicle's cancellation didn't help, but at least they were still trying to make conversation before the seemingly eternal downtime. Nowadays, if you make a thread, it'll stay on page one for months. That's like a 90% decrease in activity.

The site was offline for a whole seven months, I think. That was really catastrophical.

-Gata signoff.png

• Upvote 1

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

Please don't use my avatar or signature without permission, thanks! ^_^

From what I recall from my lurking years, the golden years were mostly about crushing other forums so BZP would be the top place for Bionicle discussion, then going down about the same time as the death of Bionicle was announced, effectively killing a good half of the community. Oh, and there was a big deal over some "MoD" thing...

• Upvote 2

In the time before time, the Great Spirit descended from the heavens, carrying with him the ones called the Matoran, to this island paradise. We were separate and without purpose, so the great spirit blessed us with the Three Virtues: Unity, Duty and Destiny. We embraced these gifts and in gratitude named our home Mata Nui, after the great spirit himself.

Server busy messages were still a thing, because people wanted to be entertained whenever the server needed one of its frequent burping sessions.

Server busy meassages? I still get those occasionally.

But yeah, activity has obviously decreased by a lot. Compare the memberlist at the bottom of the page to the memberlist now.

Topics were closed and redirected to 225-page long official topics. News was about Bionicle. Bionicle serial updates were big news and could run two or three pages before I even got there.

This is what G&T is like today =P.

Edited by Mairanui

2xu8Ptu.png

I joined in 2010 (four years ago day :P), and the forums were pretty crazy back then. You could post a story in Short Stories and it could be off the first page of the forum in like a day. Topics were closed and redirected to 225-page long official topics. News was about Bionicle. Bionicle serial updates were big news and could run two or three pages before I even got there. 

There was no way I could read though all of the active topics and posts at any given time. These days I can cycle through my forums of choice and the blogs in about an hour, maybe two if it's a good day. It's been a long time since I've gotten behind or had to skip a topic because of lack of time and sheer volume of topics. 

Fishers64 basically sums it up right here. I didn't joined BZP until 2010, right around the Bionicle came to an end. But I was a lurker for the four years beforehand, and I will tell that this place use to be pretty big when it came to member activity.

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

Topics were closed and redirected to 225-page long official topics. News was about Bionicle. Bionicle serial updates were big news and could run two or three pages before I even got there.

This is what G&T is like today =P.

True, but back in the Golden Days that was the entire board. The entire thing. 

Also I haven't seen any 225 page official topics in G&T lol. That's the sole purview of CoT these days. 

In all seriousness, this place was a bit of a madhouse. Activity was absolutely through the roof, and fame and popularity was much more dependent upon quantity and luck than from occasional quality contributions. It was, in its most basic form, akin to living in a big city, where you would not be missed should you decide to leave and never return.

Contrast that with what BZPower is now. Although the slow but steady decrease in activity continues to be on the minds of many who have dedicated extensive time and effort towards making this site better in all regards, it's no longer the suffocating big city. It is now a small town, where one is never more than two degrees of separation from anyone else. Any community is going to have problems, but now we're small enough to have things like the Tracker, gradual relaxation of vestigial rules and regulations, etc. Such things would be impossible, unthinkable to the point of laughter in the so-called golden days.

The golden days golden indeed, if activity is one's standard.

Sumiki hits the nail on the head.

The surge of activity BZPower has had since the alleged Bionicle leaks has caused the site (or at least the Bionicle subforum) to come closer to resembling what it did in the old days. I imagine that that resemblance would only get greater if Bionicle's return was officially announced. And I'm not entirely convinced that that would be a good thing, given the rise of spam and rulebreaking the hype has precipitated.

On the other hand, certain subforums (particularly ones that now struggle to maintain a reliable level of activity like the Library and Artwork forums) could certainly benefit from an increased userbase, and the forum-wide advances Sumiki mentions like the relaxation of certain rules and the implementation of the Tracker are unlikely to go away just because BZPower's userbase and activity level start increasing again. And an increased userbase would of course represent BZPower gaining greater relevance in the Lego community, which might someday result in more perks being provided by Lego such as sets provided for review or more employee engagement with members through things like interviews. So who knows? A return to the activity levels from the "golden years" might turn out all right after all. It's an exciting time to be a member of BZPower, to be sure.

• Upvote 1

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

When I joined, now over ten years ago, activity was steady and discussion very healthy. There was always something new to see and talk about, without it becoming overwhelming. The creative sector was very vibrant, taking the official characters and storyline in all sorts of new directions. Most members were known personally to each other, and enforcement of the rules tended to be infrequent. It was a warm, healthy and relaxed community.

It was around the mid-2000s that the site experienced something of a population explosion, and I feel the effects were largely negative. The server was under almost constant strain, and trying to visit the forums led you to a 'Board Message' almost as often as to the forums themselves. These didn't fare much better. Many topics were pointless, bordering on spam, and became bloated with dozens of equally pointless replies. Amongst so many members and posts, it was difficult to get a proper reply to anything you posted or even be noticed without being a staff member. Many of the rules were unnecessarily strict and often enforced in a rather arbitrary manner. There was also a lot of bitterness relating to the stylistic direction taken by Bionicle around then. Frankly I don't have especially fond memories of that time period.

A lot has been made of the 'decline in activity' since Bionicle ended and the downtime, but I think a lot of it's been for the better. The rules have been relaxed slightly and the board greatly enhanced by new features. There aren't as many topics and posts to wade through, and the quality of writing and discussion is much higher. In its essence I feel the site is quite a bit closer to how it was when I joined. The only major negative has been the lack of discussion relating to official Lego content, and the subsequent shift of many posts and members to the RPG and COT forums. But with the new constraction theme and/or perhaps the return of Bionicle itself on the way, that could change.

I never knew BZPower before it got crazy (I joined in 2006), but I'm glad to see I'm not imagining it being better now than it was in its peak years. In hindsight, my experience in those years was largely the same as yours. I felt like a nobody in a crowd of thousands, and didn't really get to know a lot of people really well because I was inundated with so many usernames and avatars on a daily basis. Browsing topics was an infuriating chore, replying to them even more so.

Honestly, my activity here dropped to almost nothing well before the downtime, not because there wasn't enough activity but rather because there was too much, and in the aftermath of BIONICLE's cancellation, a great deal of that activity had turned negative. People debated whether BIONICLE ended too soon and deserved to come back, or went on too long and got the fate it deserved for its decline in quality. There wasn't much room for somebody who thought BIONICLE had a good run from beginning to end, and appreciated the new approach to storytelling and fan engagement that Hero Factory brought to the table. Instead, I became more active on Eurobricks (a site I had joined in 2009, about half a year after becoming an AFOL), where I felt that the community was more mature and my opinions mattered. I came back to BZPower when the site became live again, and I couldn't be happier. Personally I hope BZPower never returns to those chaotic levels of activity and remains a smaller, but still healthy and active, community.

Edited by Aanchir: Rachira of Time
  • Upvote 1

I joined BZPower in 2007 after being a lurker for a few months. I have to agree with everyone else, it was a glorious madhouse of activity. BIONICLE was alive and thriving, so we always had new things to talk about even before old topics had gone stale. And then the Great Dataclysm ... I was one of the few hundred out of thousands who stayed. And things are much, much slower now. But at the same time, I feel like I'm enjoying and more active on BZP nowadays than I ever was before BIONICLE's end.

I was 11 when I first joined BZP and am 18 now. Many current members are within a few years of my age. I feel like, today, I can appreciate BIONICLE in a more meaningful way than I ever could before. Even though I had countless fanfic series running in the 2007-2010 era, I feel like the greatest BIONICLE work I've produced was Maku's Diary, which ran for a few months earlier this year. Our member base is overall much more mature now, and it shows. In the same vein, though we're down to, what is it, one-tenth of our former member count, I have the best conversations (via PM) with another BZP member (you know who you are!) I met after the Dataclysm, where we analyze and enjoy BIONICLE together more than I did with the dozens of people I interacted with before.

Overall, the big city/small town comparison is completely accurate, and I prefer the small town BZPower.

• Upvote 1

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

I visited this site occasionally back in its heyday, just to check out a few things because so much was going on. However, it was a bit too chaotic for me to stay there for long, so I never actually joined up. Besides, I had lost most of my interest in Bionicle by that time, so I can't imagine getting much out of it. However last year, I began getting a little nostalgic and started to get back into Bionicle, unfortunately when I decided to revisit here I came right in the middle of the downtime. When I finally did join up, I was greeted by something much more similar to the smaller forums I'm used to visiting, so I've made myself quite comfortable here. I have no problem keeping on top of this level of activity. So if we do get a resurgence in popularity and the activity level goes crazy again, I'm not sure if I could handle it! At the very least it ought to be exciting, but I'm not exactly holding my breath for it.

The site was offline for a whole seven months, I think. That was really catastrophical.

-Gata signoff.png

It was five months, almost to the day. May through October, 2011. The site was mostly ready to go live in June of 2011, but then a bunch of hosting and server issues were revealed on the back-end that took much longer than estimated timetables that were given to us said they should. It never should have been that long, but the activity that has still sustained in the three years since it happened still makes me marvel.

31399314352_5890b9b8a3_o.jpg

-Gata signoff.png

It was five months, almost to the day. May through October, 2011. The site was mostly ready to go live in June of 2011, but then a bunch of hosting and server issues were revealed on the back-end that took much longer than estimated timetables that were given to us said they should. It never should have been that long, but the activity that has still sustained in the three years since it happened still makes me marvel.

Okay, my bad. I guess I added a month to half a year in my mind instead of subtracting one. Anyway, I guess we can say BZPower would be better off without that downtime but I also agree the level of activity the site has still maintained after that shows the dedication many members have shown and continue to show to this site.

-Gata signoff.png

Edited by Gatanui

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

Please don't use my avatar or signature without permission, thanks! ^_^

I joined BZP in 2006 at the middle of it's golden days,I also there where they starting adding Blogs to the Premier Members at first before it was used to everyone where Bionicle's days where falling,I go to another forum with robots.  

In addition to all the other stuff that has been said, the fact that Bionicle was still an ongoing thing meant that nothing stayed still for very long, as far as story updates went. In addition to books and comics coming out steadily every month or two, there were web serials and animations and games uploaded to Bionicle.com, and all of that meant that Greg constantly had new questions presented to him from all the fresh content. Basically, the story kept growing and evolving and everyone always had something to talk about, and all that activity meant that many more creative projects were going on and basically everything was incredible ^^

Also after the Great Dataclysm, BZP rebounded more or less to the same glory and activity it had before incredibly quickly, and if that doesn't show how great and loyal a community BZP had in the golden age, I dunno what does.

Edited by Pomegranate

pomegranate-banner-sm.png .

• 2 weeks later...

Reading through these posts brings back so many great memories!  ^_^ 

But instead of dwelling on the past, why not look to the future? The so-called Golden Days are long gone, but the site is still kicking. These are another kind of golden days, one where the most steadfast of members, writers, comic-makers, contributors, etc., remain on the site and keep the Bionicle dream going for future fans. 

We got a great community here and incredible talent and creativity around. We have the potential to keep improving the site, iterating on what has been done and keeping it around for future fans. To me, that is all that matters. 

~LH

• Upvote 3

pWRJY.jpg
Credit goes to Biomech for the almost 20-year-old avatar!

• 2 weeks later...

Reading through these posts brings back so many great memories!  ^_^ 

But instead of dwelling on the past, why not look to the future? The so-called Golden Days are long gone, but the site is still kicking. These are another kind of golden days, one where the most steadfast of members, writers, comic-makers, contributors, etc., remain on the site and keep the Bionicle dream going for future fans. 

We got a great community here and incredible talent and creativity around. We have the potential to keep improving the site, iterating on what has been done and keeping it around for future fans. To me, that is all that matters. 

~LH

And if Bionicle really does return in 2015, we'll have a legion of new fans to welcome! So get ready for the second age

Onuarock.PNG

It was psychotic. My first few years from 2004 to about 2007-ish were a blast. BZP was the first thing I checked upon waking up and the last thing I checked before going to sleep. The amount of passionate discussion about a toy line was incredibly impressive, but as has been said by others, it was not always wonderful. Beginning with the second wave of 2007 sets, I began feeling very unhappy with the direction the story and set design were taking. I spearheaded the 2001 nostalgia movement through my vitriolic blog, causing quite a bit of strife. (I was essentially equivalent to a radio shock jock.) I still stand by my assessment then that too many people were blindly accepting the lower quality product LEGO was producing without critically thinking about it, but in any case, the divide between old school and new school fans got pretty heated.

My activity really started to wane in late 2008 as my interest in Bionicle dropped to nearly nothing. I did pick up a few 2009 canister sets, but that was just for parts at that point. My interests had shifted towards Transformers and basketball, but beyond that, the age disparity between me and most other members started to get a bit grating. Sure, there were and still are some pretty mature younger folks here, but there were too many annoying early adolescents for my taste, so I left for good.

Regardless of how it ended for me the first time though, the excitement and intrigue has returned with the new iteration of Bionicle. I cannot say whether I will remain here once the new series officially releases as the site could very easily return to the chaotic pit that it was in the mid-2000s, but I'll give it a shot. It will never be like the Golden Days again. Not for me anyway. I and I think pretty much all of the old fans have grown up too much for that, but perhaps it could become a new great age for the next generation of young fans who will hopefully begin to trickle in over the next few months.

Edited by Vega Magnus

All anybody needs to know about the "Golden Age of BZPower" is one simple, powerful message:

"brakelatabasaasta feed me :wacko: "

That, and maybe the burnmad emoticon.

• Upvote 8
Bornicleban.gif

RIP BORNICLE

2004 - 2011

"There are a thousand ways I could bore you...and only 942 of them will put you to sleep. Permanently"

All anybody needs to know about the "Golden Age of BZPower" is one simple, powerful message:

Ah yes. The truly glorious post by connor. Surely he has gone on to be a philosopher of great standing. Edited by Vega Magnus
  • Upvote 1

Ah yes. The truly glorious post by connor. Surely he has gone on to be a philosopher of great standing.

After seeing that topic, I decided I didn't want to be a Moderator, or Support Team member. Heck, I didn't even want to be a famous Comedy writer. I just wanted to be connor...except, not banned, ya know?

Bornicleban.gif

RIP BORNICLE

2004 - 2011

"There are a thousand ways I could bore you...and only 942 of them will put you to sleep. Permanently"

All you need to know is that Than, Watashi Wa, and Windrider had no business being that amazing in the Q&A forum.

I love you too. :)

I remember when you were Than Matoran of the Village People.

What can I say, mistakes were made!

You were Than the Matoran of Anger when I joined.

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

All you need to know is that Than, Watashi Wa, and Windrider had no business being that amazing in the Q&A forum.

I love you too. :)

I remember when you were Than Matoran of the Village People.

What can I say, mistakes were made!

You were Than the Matoran of Anger when I joined.

That's what he was most of the time, except for one or two occasions where things got wacky.

Man, I can remember when I couldn't browse the forum after school on the east coast because this was the first site all the kids went to when they got home...

... so, I guess it was a golden age in that, there was lots of activity, but it wasn't a golden age if you wanted to actually use the forum ;)

- Heir

LfkQ2ln.png

Click the banner. You know you want to.

Shia Lebouf would tell you to just do it.

Man, I can remember when I couldn't browse the forum after school on the east coast because this was the first site all the kids went to when they got home...

... so, I guess it was a golden age in that, there was lots of activity, but it wasn't a golden age if you wanted to actually use the forum ;)

- Heir

I was ahead of time in the UK, so when I used the forums the American kids were all at school. And it was still down all the time! Goodness knows when you actually got to post :P

But yes, BZPower back in the day was pretty great. There was a time where I could check back every hour minutes and there would be new works in GA. I miss that bubbling, busy, kind of environment. Hopefully with the (likely?) return of the Bionicle line, those days can return.

Oh, man, I just remembered... back then, your proto level was a HUGE deal. Gaining or losing proto was everything to a member... I remember feeling sick when I got deproto'd the first time. It was devastating. So was the second time. I remember gnashing my teeth for days because I didn't agree with the rationale behind my deproto. It was a misunderstanding, I tell you! A simple misunderstanding, taken out of context! You have to believe meee...

- Heir

• Upvote 1

LfkQ2ln.png

Click the banner. You know you want to.

Shia Lebouf would tell you to just do it.