What is the series you want Lego to make sets of?

Infamousevil

I would love historically themed sets. Like the Castle, Viking, Western, and Ninja (etc.) lines, but with actual places and people, and attention to historical accuracy.

I used to say The Lord of the Rings, but they finally got around to doing it. :P

• Upvote 1
"What we see depends mainly on what we look for" -John Lubbock

I'll throw in another vote for Korra, along with the Legend of Zelda (a series with dungeon-based gameplay that I think would be well-suited to Lego).

I've also got an Ace Attorney project in development that I can hopefully put on Lego Ideas, but even I realize that'd be a long shot.

• Upvote 1

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

I can't even begin to describe all the ways LEGO JJBA would never happen. Like, while we're suggesting things radically inappropriate for LEGO's target audience, I want LEGO NGE, LEGO District 9, and LEGO Fight Club.

Speaking seriously, though, I think there's potential in LEGO Octodad. I have an Ideas project in the works for that, but it probably wouldn't get off the ground. I'd also be interested in seeing some things like Pokemon, Ace Attorney, LoK (so long as they do better than the ATLA sets back in the day; those were horrible), and probably some other things that just aren't coming to mind right now.

edit: actually, thinking about it, LEGO Ace Attorney is probably a terrible idea; a majority of the game is lawyers standing in a courtroom arguing. It's fun in-game, but looking at a set, you have, like, six minifigs and a courtroom with possible evidence accessories and no possible play features (unless you make something like the Bruce Wayne changing station that changes Maya to Mia)

Edited by Octodad

I can't even begin to describe all the ways LEGO JJBA would never happen. Like, while we're suggesting things radically inappropriate for LEGO's target audience, I want LEGO NGE, LEGO District 9, and LEGO Fight Club.

Could've been worse I could have suggested Kill La Kill. :D

The surprise was vampires!

This is a massive long shot, but the top of my wish list is Dragon Ball Z. I love LEGO and Dragon Ball Z (they're two of my favorite things!), so putting the two together would make me die a happy man. If the theme became a reality, we'd get new hairstyles, pieces, colors, and a bunch of pieces that'd be really handy for terrain. I know it'll never come true, but a man can dream.

Walker, Texas Ranger would also make a good LEGO theme, but that's a long shot as well. It's got plenty of material for sets and maybe even a video game could be possible. But I do understand that it's inappropriate for LEGO's target audience and it's a 90's show, but I'd at least like to see a fan make a couple of sets for fun.

mindeth the cobwebs

Speaking seriously, though, I think there's potential in LEGO Octodad. I have an Ideas project in the works for that, but it probably wouldn't get off the ground. I'd also be interested in seeing some things like Pokemon, Ace Attorney, LoK (so long as they do better than the ATLA sets back in the day; those were horrible), and probably some other things that just aren't coming to mind right now.

edit: actually, thinking about it, LEGO Ace Attorney is probably a terrible idea; a majority of the game is lawyers standing in a courtroom arguing. It's fun in-game, but looking at a set, you have, like, six minifigs and a courtroom with possible evidence accessories and no possible play features (unless you make something like the Bruce Wayne changing station that changes Maya to Mia)

I can't wait until my Ace Attorney proposal is in a presentable state so I can show you. It's basically a small courtroom scene with the judge's bench, as well as both the attorney's and prosecutor's desks and the witness stand. It would include at least four minifigures—Phoenix, Edgeworth, the Judge and Gumshoe—with the possible addition of Larry Butz as a second witness and/or Maya to work alongside Phoenix. The set would include several of the most recognizable and iconic pieces of evidence from the first three games, for role play, and the desks DO include a feature which would probably be impractical but is too cool not to include—a built in sound brick in each one that delivers each character's trademark "OBJECTION!!!" Ace Attorney IS a fairly ridiculous idea for a full Lego theme. But I think a single set (like the Research Institute) would be perfectly fine, if it somehow managed to pass the Ideas review.

Could you provide a link to your Octodad proposal? I'd love to see it, and support it if I haven't already.

Edited by Lyichir

I'd like to see FRIENDS sets, 'cause I'm a giant dork. They would make for such cool sets though! There's the various apartments, and of course Central Perk (The inside and outside are both very neat!) and there could be a set of the fountain from the opening credits! And of course, minifigs of the main six, plus set-appropriate minifigs like Gunther in the coffee shop, a chicken and duck for Joey and Chandler's apartment. I dunno, it sounds good to me, 'cause it's the sort of stuff that could appeal to folks who never even watched FRIENDS but love those sets of hotels and houses and stuff, and the minifigs would be really cute, too :P

pomegranate-banner-sm.png .

I'd like to see FRIENDS sets, 'cause I'm a giant dork. They would make for such cool sets though! There's the various apartments, and of course Central Perk (The inside and outside are both very neat!) and there could be a set of the fountain from the opening credits! And of course, minifigs of the main six, plus set-appropriate minifigs like Gunther in the coffee shop, a chicken and duck for Joey and Chandler's apartment. I dunno, it sounds good to me, 'cause it's the sort of stuff that could appeal to folks who never even watched FRIENDS but love those sets of hotels and houses and stuff, and the minifigs would be really cute, too :P

Friends Sets? :P

Another franchise that I think could make a cool LEGO theme would be The Adventures of Tintin. I grew up with the TV show and comics, and the recent movie by Steven Spielberg helped bring it back into the spotlight on a global scale.

• Upvote 1

Another franchise that I think could make a cool LEGO theme would be The Adventures of Tintin. I grew up with the TV show and comics, and the recent movie by Steven Spielberg helped bring it back into the spotlight on a global scale.

The Adventures of TinTin had a tv series? :o

Edited by Infamousevil

The surprise was vampires!

The Adventures of TinTin had a tv series? :o

Yes! A fairly excellent and surprisingly faithful one by Nelvana (a Canadian studio) and Ellipse (a French studio). I used to watch it all the time when I was a kid, even if I didn't originally understand what an "opium den" was (seriously, would you ever see that on an afternoon Nicktoons show these days?).

• Upvote 3

The Legend of Korra, most definitely. There's a pretty good project on LEGO Ideas right now, but it's been getting support very slowly. I still have my fingers crossed for its success!

I would love to see some Legend of Korra sets. :)

And I know that it would probably never happen, but I'd really like to see a Lego Metroid theme. A minifig version of Samus would be amazing. Set versions of Ridley, Mother Brain, Kraid, Dark Samus, and Metroids (or course :P) would be cool too.

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

I'm a huge fan of the webcomic Girl Genius, so I'd love to see sets of that. It does seem like it would be pretty well-suited to making sets of, and I think the general steampunk-style aesthetic would be well-received.

~B~

• Upvote 2

I personally think Lego would be better off using their own ideas instead of grabbing them from some franchise.

What makes you think it's an either/or situation? They can — and do — use both their own ideas AND existing franchises for their product lines.

There's nothing inherently less creative about making a product based on a subject from a popular franchise than making a product based on a subject from real life, which is something the LEGO Group has been doing for decades (consider this set from nearly forty years ago). But for some reason it's still common for people to demonize themes based on movies and TV as if they represent a complete lack of creativity, or an act of submission to other companies.

I personally think Lego would be better off using their own ideas instead of grabbing them from some franchise.

What makes you think it's an either/or situation? They can — and do — use both their own ideas AND existing franchises for their product lines.

I never said it was -- what I meant was that I, personally, think Lego should put more thought into creating more ORIGINAL ideas rather than using a line, which is perfectly fine, but it lacks creativity. If Lego did only franchise sets, e.g. Star Wars, Spongebob, Zelda, etc., it would get pretty boring (at least I would think).

2xu8Ptu.png

I never said it was -- what I meant was that I, personally, think Lego should put more thought into creating more ORIGINAL ideas rather than using a line, which is perfectly fine, but it lacks creativity. If Lego did only franchise sets, e.g. Star Wars, Spongebob, Zelda, etc., it would get pretty boring (at least I would think).

Yes, but my point is that there's never been any risk of that. And given the success of lines like BIONICLE, LEGO City, LEGO Ninjago, there probably never will be any risk of that. Ever since the LEGO Group first had success with a licensed theme (LEGO Star Wars) they've been committed to creating story-driven themes like BIONICLE that they have full creative control over and don't have to pay royalties for.

I don't know where the idea of LEGO becoming completely license-dependent ever came from. The other big toy companies like Hasbro and Mattel have been making licensed toys for decades and it's never stopped them from making toys and telling stories based on their own original properties. Hasbro's Star Wars toys have never gotten in the way of them making new Transformers, G.I. Joe, My Little Pony, or Strawberry Shortcake toys and stories.

And I definitely don't see how that kind of thing belongs in this topic. Why would any of the licensed themes people are suggesting here get in the way of the LEGO Group's own in-house IPs? Who's to say they wouldn't just take the place of existing licensed themes?

Finally, I'm sure a lot of the AFOLs and designers who build things based on existing franchises would be insulted by the notion that making things based on an existing property "lacks creativity". Do LEGO City models "lack creativity" if they're based on real-life fire engines and police cars? If not, why would basing something on a fictional franchise "lack creativity"?

Edited by Aanchir

Yes, but my point is that there's never been any risk of that. And given the success of lines like BIONICLE, LEGO City, LEGO Ninjago, there probably never will be any risk of that. Ever since the LEGO Group first had success with a licensed theme (LEGO Star Wars) they've been committed to creating story-driven themes like BIONICLE that they have full creative control over and don't have to pay royalties for.

I don't know where the idea of LEGO becoming completely license-dependent ever came from. The other big toy companies like Hasbro and Mattel have been making licensed toys for decades and it's never stopped them from making toys and telling stories based on their own original properties. Hasbro's Star Wars toys have never gotten in the way of them making new Transformers, G.I. Joe, My Little Pony, or Strawberry Shortcake toys and stories.

And I definitely don't see how that kind of thing belongs in this topic. Why would any of the licensed themes people are suggesting here get in the way of the LEGO Group's own in-house IPs? Who's to say they wouldn't just take the place of existing licensed themes?

Finally, I'm sure a lot of the AFOLs and designers who build things based on existing franchises would be insulted by the notion that making things based on an existing property "lacks creativity". Do LEGO City models "lack creativity" if they're based on real-life fire engines and police cars? If not, why would basing something on a fictional franchise "lack creativity"?

I never specified Lego city at all. In fact, I quite agree with you about that. My point is, have Lego come up with their own ideas for storylines and sets, such as Bionicle, Hero Factory, Chima, etc., rather grab more ideas from franchises. Basing sets off culture does lack some creativity, I would agree, but if you ask me, not as much as basing their ideas off of other entertainment ideas.

Edited by Snubby

2xu8Ptu.png

I wish that Lego makes sets of the super Mario bros

It would be nice, and would have the potential for huge success. But unfortunately, K'nex currently holds the license for Super Mario and Mario Kart building toys.

I'll have to third the suggestions for LEGO Legend of Korra. We had a few Avatar sets in days gone by, and I think one or two Korra sets would be a good compliment. Not to mention the fact that the Steampunk style and vehicles would make some really interesting models, much moreso than what we saw in the Avatar sets.

For another reasonable suggestion, I'd really like to see non-Friends styled sets that adapt Disney. I don't dislike the pastel-colored sets inspired by the Disney Princess franchise, but in addition to limiting the sets to one corner of Disney, the franchise itself doesn't really represent what makes the films and characters so appealing in the first place. By adapting Disney films and not the Disney Princess franchise I think the potential for some really cool sets open up.

Aside from that, I can't say for certain which existing properties I'd want to see rendered in LEGO. All my previous desires like, Indiana Jones and Lord of the Rings, have been produced and finished already. And my other favorite properties just wouldn't make products that sell well or appeal to the main demographic.

As for non licensed themes, we desperately need a revival of Western. I know it's pretty much a dead genre even in film and literature, and I'm not sure how appealing the target demographic would find them, but the old ones were just so cool.

BZPRPG

Although it's never, ever going to happen for a multitude of reasons (violence, language, general inappropriateness, not to mention that they're obscure to begin with and even more so for Lego's target audience), I still have to say I'd give anything to have some Homestuck and Danganronpa minifigures. Homestuck, with its extremely simplified designs seems like a perfect fit for Lego, while I just love Danganronpa's designs and would love to see all the students as minifigures. Just minifigures, though, actually. Considering the Danganronpa casts come in sets of 16 and you can make 16 out of HS characters easily as well (12 trolls+4 kids?) they'd be good fits for the collectible minifigures line. Ah, if only that wasn't utterly impossible.

On a somewhat more realistic note, Ben 10, system Ben 10, would be pretty awesome. I still don't understand why they thought it a good idea to make the Ben 10 sets constraction. It was really not a good idea, in any way.

AXKP5KC.png

I'd like to see a lot of the lines mention above actually put into production, but if we're talking realism, I'd say Doctor Who is the only thing that is popular enough and, importantly, family-friendly.

I'd love to see some LEGO Phineas & Ferb, though. They were going to make a game based on that, but I don't think they did anything with that ...

tumblr_ng1pw4xLEM1tryxewo1_1280.jpg

Since I don't watch any TV show or any cartoon serie anymore, I'd like to see something completely new from LEGO. However I understand that licensed themes usually sell very well so it is safe for the company to produce them.

:b: :i: :m_o: :n: :i: :c: :l: :e:

"It's Adventure Time! Come on grab your friends, we'll go to very, distant lands! With Jake the dog and Finn the human, the fun will never end. It's Adventure Time!"

Is that a good enough answer?

If not, then I want Legend of Zelda, and Doctor Who. Some constraction-based Pokemon sets might be interesting as well.

• Upvote 2

VBWj75sh.png

I never specified Lego city at all. In fact, I quite agree with you about that. My point is, have Lego come up with their own ideas for storylines and sets, such as Bionicle, Hero Factory, Chima, etc., rather grab more ideas from franchises. Basing sets off culture does lack some creativity, I would agree, but if you ask me, not as much as basing their ideas off of other entertainment ideas.

That would imply that lego needs to create something that has no reference to anything that currently exists. Which is pretty much impossible. If you don't believe me take a look at TVtropes one time. there's lots of things that link stories to each other through common patterns. It's not bad, it's just how it works.

And basing sets on something pre-existing probably takes more creativity. Rather than lego designing the sets to be however they want they have to design it to look like something that already exists. That takes a lot of creativity. Not that the other doesn't. They may not have to create the original design, but they have to create from a pre-existing one that wasn't designed to be turned into a lego set. Not an easy thing to do. 

3DS Freind Code: 1693-0634-1082 Name: Joey

I also have Mario Kart 7, Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Pokemon Y and Kid Icarus: Uprising

PM me to add me. 

Steam profile

Click here for the BZP Destiny Group