3D

boston100

Can you elaborate on what you mean by flat? I've heard that word used to describe Inika-builds and generally any set/moc that looks underdeveloped from the back or a majority of its sides if it's not a humanoid shape; if that's what you mean, then the best advice I can give is to work on your MOCs from all angles, making sure the front looks good but also giving attention to the back, and the sides of limbs for example. When I'm building my main concern, besides making sure nothing is wobbly or too restricted in its movement, is filling in and closing up gaps. When you put on armor or whatever on the front and back, adding stuff to the sides or in between to hide those gaps makes the model look fuller and more three-dimensional. Avoiding big parts like complete torso and limb pieces and instead building everything from scratch with smaller parts also makes the final model look bulkier, 'cause you're not restricted with whata goes where and you can expand on it any way you want/ Additionally, it makes the model look more complex and developed. That's no guarantee, of course, as every MOC is different and there's no one technique or build that works for everything, and sometimes less is more.

If I knew what exactly you meant by "flat" I'd be able to help more ^^

Oh! And if there's any MOCs in particular that you're worried about looking flat, you can always post them up in the Lego Based Creations and Bionicle Based Creations subforums and not only show off what you made, but ask for help on improving it from the BZP community! There's a lot of different folks on here with different styles and skills so it's always great to get help directly from experienced builders :)

pomegranate-banner-sm.png .

If you're willing, you could post one of your own MOC's (specifically one you see as having the issue you want to change) as it'd probably give a lot of people a good point of reference for what you mean, and you might receive some higher quality assistance. I'm no expert on MOC's myself (mine are terrible, and I haven't touched my sets and the like for ages!), but there are plenty of talented MOCists here who could likely give better suggestions -- or inherently understand precisely what you mean by flat.

Good luck! c: 

• 3 weeks later...

I think I understand the issue, whenever I made a MOC bigger than Toa-size it would often seem to lack front-to-back bulkyness. Titan torso's are pretty tricky to do right, and even official sets sometimes came out looking a bit flat (I'm lookin' at you Takanuva 2008).

But yeah, pictures would help!