Nostalgic Bionicle Memories

Underscore

So I had a huge Nostalgia rush today, and decided to dig through my sets to see what memories they held (yeah, I know that sounds cheezy). Surprisingly, they held a lot of memories. Me and my friends having battles with our Phantoka, Inika and Glatorian sets, reassembling our sets into goofy figures, playing the Battle for Power games on the Bionicle website with my friends, watching The Legend Reborn with my friends...pretty much all my best Bionicle memories were when my friends still liked Bionicle. *Sigh* Good times.

Anyway, I pose the question to you. What are your best/most nosalgic/whatever Bionicle memories?

2xu8Ptu.png

I remember hiding Kanohi and Krana all over my room and sending my few Toa on a quest to find then whilst avoiding my Bohrok Kal.

I also constructed huts out of cardboard for the few sets I had back before '04.

It was my best friend that got me into BIONICLE in the first place, and now here I am, knowing almost everything about it and he forgotten much of what little he knew.

I do miss those days...

signoffffff.png

~Your friendly, neighborhood Shadow

sotpbanner.png

~Credit for Avatar and Banner goes to

NickonAquaMagna~

My first nostalgic memory would be when my local Wal-Mart had quite the Bionicle promotion going on. Banners above the entrance, free posters (comic art), and Kanohi mask giveaways. It sticks in my mind especially well because I had no idea this was happening, and it just so happened that my mum was taking me to Wal-Mart for the sole purpose of getting my first Bionicle set, Kopaka.

Next best would be finding a dark grey Krana Ca in a field I was walking through. There was a heavy haze of smoke in the air from a forest fire, and now whenever I get a whiff of that smell of smoke, I get very nostalgic for that day.

I remember putting all of my '04 Toa in the freezer :P I was a lvl9001 Kanohi points hoarder.

Also putting so many Toa/people together that some of them were made out of the bare minimum.

9HYoRY7.pngKayn's Thought: My hiatus of Bionicle has ended

I remember playing the Mata Nui Online Game with my twin brother on our mom's old, slow computer. The first time we played we didn't want to go with Maku on the boat because her name was similar to Makuta! Stupid assumption to make, but we were pretty new to adventure games back then. :P

I also have many fond memories of drawing BIONICLE characters. I loved to draw them in particular visual styles — either ones that already existed like the movie style depictions or ones I made up myself. The first drawing I ever posted online if I'm remembering correctly was a somewhat shippy drawing of Gali and Takanuva in movie style. I went ahead and colored it too, using a computer (the background is photoshopped from a picture of a beach to very, VERY vaguely resemble the Ta-Wahi beach on Mata Nui). I was so proud of that drawing despite its scratchy lines and wonky perspective.

2007 and 2008 were probably some of my productive years for drawing, though some of the stuff I drew back then feels extremely cringeworthy today. A lot of my art was for a "human BIONICLE" universe, which I know a lot of people dislike, but it was what appealed to me at the time. One night I couldn't sleep and had bunches of ideas running through my head, so I got up, went downstairs so I wouldn't bother anybody, and drew Makuta Spiriah (some of my favorite drawings were character designs like Spiriah or the Manutri that I had to really heavily stylize to make look cohesive and deliberate in a more organic form).

Another time I drew a fellow BioArtist Guild member for an art exchange. BioArtist Guild was a very small BIONICLE forum set up for artists in the fan community. I don't have any idea if it's still active, though I'd guess not given how little activity it had compared to BZPower even in its prime.

Once I was in college I drew a lot less — art became sort of depressing sometimes, given how much I struggled in art classes, and I became a lot more critical of my own work — but I did manage to create some fun Matoran drawings and color them digitally. Chances are I will have some of my most recent stuff at Brickfair, same as I've done for the past two years. I'm still proud of my work, as bad as it might be and as little chance as I have of ever being a professional artist of any kind, which was one of my dreams back then. I've given up on so many dreams since those days...

Most of Bionicle's years bring great memories, but many of the highlights came from 2006 and 2007. 2006 was when I first joined BZP, and it was really the first time that I ever got into discussions about the theme with people on a forum and whatnot, and plus I just really liked the story and environment of those two years. 

Building every new set, reading every new book, and watching every new movie is a separate nostalgic memory for me; while some are more powerful memories than others, they're all equally precious and have all come up in my nostalgic moments over the years.

pomegranate-banner-sm.png .

Some of my most nostalgic Bionicle memories have to do with building sets in unusual places. For instance, I built the Exo-Toa in a church while my dad was trying to help them set up a sound system. And I built Ultimate Dume with my brothers at a football game far away from home.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Oh, so many! The sets me and my sister got and building them, exploring the internet and learning English (these are both thanks to Bionicle). Seeing Bionicle sets for the first time at my friends place.

I recall one game where I and my sister would play with the rahkshi. We imagined Makuta as a real dad, and Pouks was the mother who was always angry at him for whatever reason. Vorahk was a rockstar, of course.

The kanoka club! *-* typing in random disk codes, and lots of them would just work (there are only so much combinations with three digits). Reading the Greg reference topic.

There was a time where I was in a Dutch community where everyone had there own little website, and I knew every Bionicle fansite there and I loved building my own. There was the only time I ever rpged.

MOCing was awesome too. I had this flawless custom ussal which would fit in my pocket, so I could always carry an ussal around if I wanted.

Oh, I remember writing an epic! It wasn't bad either, when I look back on it. It was based on a dream I had, and featured three crazy matoran who escaped from a deserted prison and unknowingly got caught in a plot of Krika, and a plot of Bitil at the same time, all framed as a story that Mutran told Vican to convince him to get mutated. Okay, maybe it wasn't perfect. I remember that it started out with a nine-legged creature crawling over the ceiling about to take revenge on its creator. Gawd, I even made MOC's for the story and wrote a theme for it. Too bad I never put them out. I remember the complete theme though, it still like it.

And reading people's Bionicle comics. Man, was I a sucker for that.

• Upvote 1

banner1.png

Well, the most obvious for me was rediscovering the bionicle fandom and learning how it ended. I then re-ordered my favorite Bohrok from eBay and it was pretty cool to see one of my favorite childhood toys again. It's now sitting on my desk as a display piece.

I also went and played the Mata-Nui online game on the BioMedia Project for the first time in 10 years.

The memories, oh my god. I'm glad to be back.

The MNOLG's visuals and sounds remain very evocative. How I wish there was more, or something new like it. I also love a lot of the Mata Nui artwork - it captured the sense of a wild and wonderful world, surrounded by mystery and danger.

Whilst I do miss some of the subsequent years, they don't come close to the nostalgia created by 2001.

• Upvote 1

I miss the feeling of superiority that came from the pre '04 Bionicles since I never really knew much about them at the time. If I saw anything to do with them in person I would just be like "Wow a Toa Nuva"

9HYoRY7.pngKayn's Thought: My hiatus of Bionicle has ended

The most nostalgic memory i have of bionicle is it being my favourite lego theme through every year it existed, even if i did collect other lego themes, the first page i would go to in the new lego magazine that would come out was bionicle, really being excited about the new sets that would come out and choosing the first sets i wanted to get, wishing i could get the entire wave in one go but knowing that it would be too expensive but i would somehow almost always end up with the whole wave of sets by the end of the year

Go check out our Youtube channel! We review BIONICLE and other LEGO related items!
https://www.youtube.com/user/RandomReviewerBros