• Create Account

Welcome to BZPower!

Hi there, while we hope you enjoy browsing through the site, there's a lot more you can do if you register. The process is easy and you can use your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account to make it even faster. Some perks of joining include:
  • Create your own topics, participate in existing discussions, and vote in polls
  • Show off your creations, stories, art, music, and movies and play member and staff-run games
  • Enter contests to win free LEGO sets and other prizes, and vote to decide the winners
  • Participate in raffles, including exclusive raffles for new members, and win free LEGO sets
  • Send private messages to other members
  • Organize with other members to attend or send your MOCs to LEGO fan events all over the world
  • Much, much more!
Enjoy your visit!

Photo

Micro-Bionicle Batch 1 -- 22 Rahi and Kini-Nui in LDDE

System Bionicle Minifig Scale

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Online bonesiii

bonesiii
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Forum Leaders
  • Perpetual Master of Reference

• 18,561 posts
  •   BZP Leader

Posted Jul 10 2014 - 05:31 PM

Micro-Bionicle is a project where I take as much as I can from Bionicle, and make it in Minifig scale, or similar scales, as System MOCs in LEGO Digital Designer (Extended mode). Note: I often use "micro" as a technical scale term, and this isn't that, but the name is a pun on microbiotic, and they're so tiny compared to normal Bionicle MOCs, so yeah. :P I usually use Nano, Micro, Mini, and Macro as demonstrated in this Scalefig image. The Rahi here are all at Mini scale, while the Kini-Nui is at Nano scale. Eventually I plan to make some of the larger Rahi or other things at actual Micro scale.

Every single Rahi here has a "mask" (used a beetle piece, the only one that really looks good-ish as a mask at this scale), even ones like Visorak and Keetongu that canonically didn't wear masks (as far as we know), although you can't see them all at the angles of these images. There's at least one Rahi from every year up through 2008, and I tried to include the most important ones and representatives of major locations. The large-font names directly beneath each image are links to the corresponding Biosector01 page.

0e1_nui-rama.png

Nui-Rama

infected masks | maskless | flapping wings | without the non-canon stinger | back view | orange

0f1_nui-jaga.png

Nui-Jaga

blue | stinging | infected masks & maskless

0g1_tarakava.png

Tarakava

teal | punching | back view | swimming

Sand Tarakava | back

0h1_visorak.png

Visorak

six colors | firing Rhotuka

0h2_kahgarak.png

Kahgarak

three color schemes

0i1_gukko.png

Gukko

wings flapping | perching | BtG color scheme

0j1_manas.png

Manas

white | punching | back

0k1_klakk.png

Klakk

wings flapping

0l1_hydruka.png

Hydruka

red

0m1_lava_ape.png

Lava Ape

other poses

0n1_protodax_with_zamor.png

Protodax; enlarged Protodite, with Zamor

other colors, theoretically chameleon effect (separating colors from combo model)

0n2_protodax_without_zamor.png

Protodax without Zamor, with theoretical hover rotors since protodites fly

(This MOC is based on a sketch I've prepared for my retelling.)

0o_waikiru.png

Waikiru

0p1_lohrak.png

Lohrak

wings flapping

0q_hahnah.png

Hahnah, with Cordak Launcher

0r1_nivawk.png

Nivawk (a given name; species name unknown)

wings flapping

0s_energy_hound.png

Energy Hound (Spinax)

0t_manutri.png

Manutri, with Cordak Launchers

0u1_keetongu_with_weapons.png

Keetongu (given name; species name unknown), with weapons

without weapons | firing Rhotuka

0v1_gate_guardian.png

Gate Guardian (I decided to make all three of the Rahi that travel with the Visorak swarms, starting with this one)

0v3_gate_guardian_illusion_and_invisible

Gate Guardian cloaked and projecting illusion of smaller form

smaller form alone

0w1_venom_flyer.png

Venom Flyer, with theoretical hover rotors

(it flies somehow, apparently doesn't have a flight power, but wings look more like extra fangs for injecting venom, plus IMO later Rahi need more 2001-ish large-scale machinery)

other colors (separating colors from combo model)

0x1_colony_drone.png

Colony Drone (firing Rhotuka)

other colors

0y1_ussal.png

Ussal (Pewku)

purple

0y2_ussal_with_mining_saws.png

Ussal, with mining saws

0a_microbionicle_rahi_batch_1_complete_s

Basic Collection, with labels, shown with a Toa (Tahu Mata) and Matoran approximation for scale

Basic Collection without labels

Brickshelf Gallery when public

0a_kini-nui_with_scalefig.png
Kini-Nui, shown with Nano Scalefig
with Amaja-Nui | cutaway revealing interpretation of sensors | top view | gallery (when public)

LDD FILES:

Full Collection (some more colors, infected and maskless versions, etc.)

Basic Collection (only one of most types)

Individual Species Collections:

Colony Drone | Energy Hound | Gate Guardian | Gukko | Hahnah | Hydruka | Keetongu | Klakk | Lava Ape | Lohrak | Manas | Manutri | Nivawk | Nui-Jaga | Nui-Rama | Protodax | Tarakava | Ussal | Venom Flyer | Visorak (& Kahgarak) | Waikiru

And:
Kini-Nui

Enjoy!

Edited by bonesiii, Jul 10 2014 - 06:11 PM.

#2 Online Akavakaku

Akavakaku
  • Members
  • Seeker

• 239 posts

Posted Jul 10 2014 - 06:38 PM

Wow! But some Rahi are the wrong colors. Vohtarak, for instance, is dark red.

( The bunny slippers hiss and slither into the shadows. ) 

-Takuaka: Toa of Time

Marendar, the Legend of Spherus Magna: http://www.bzpower.c...-spherus-magna/

Get in the Robot entry: Kalmah's Conquest Exo http://www.bzpower.c...s-conquest-exo/

My BZRPG character: http://www.bzpower.c...pages/?p=668767

#3 Online bonesiii

bonesiii
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Forum Leaders

• 18,561 posts
  •   BZP Leader

Posted Jul 10 2014 - 06:43 PM

Good catch. I don't actually have it so I went off the BS01 images, most of which look bright red. Googling it now I see you're right. Which others did you mean specifically?

#4 Offline TLhikan

TLhikan
  • Members
  • Descending into Protodermis

• 1,003 posts
  •  

Posted Jul 11 2014 - 09:33 AM

Nice! The level of detail on these is great (the Hahnah crab is clearly the best :P). Any hints on the ones that you're still working on/haven't released yet (Zivon maybe  :D)?

-TLhikan

"So I'm TL now?"
"Yeah, 'cuz if we said it the other way it'd have to be TLhiKHAAN!!"

#5 Offline Iron_Man5

Iron_Man5
  • Members
  • Stalwart Defender

• 412 posts

Posted Jul 11 2014 - 04:45 PM

MIND-BLOWN...  :OMG: you did an amazing job. 10 thumbs up!

"I am Iron Man"

:i:  :a: :m:  :i: :r: :m_o: :n:  :m: :a: :n:

bannerbzp_by_tattorack-d7ht9tk.jpg

#6 Offline The Mugbearer

The Mugbearer
  • Members
  • Exo-Armored Toa

• 770 posts
  •  

Posted Jul 12 2014 - 12:48 AM

My sincere congratulations, you've done a terrific job on keeping the look and feel of the Rahi despite the scale. They are so well done, I am a bit jelly. Is there a chance to see Muaka and Kane-Ra some time soon? =)

Also dat Kini-Nui Temple... *drools*

Edited by The Mugbearer, Jul 12 2014 - 12:48 AM.

#7 Offline Ahktu

Ahktu
  • Members
  • Toa

• 162 posts

Posted Jul 12 2014 - 01:06 AM

Nice. Do you have LXF files for this?

#8 Online bonesiii

bonesiii
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Forum Leaders

• 18,561 posts
  •   BZP Leader

Posted Jul 12 2014 - 09:48 AM

Thanks for more replies! To questions:

-- I do hope to eventually do the Zivon, but not at Minifig scale. I also hope to do Tahtorak with a tiny, simple representation of Keetongu, but those will probably be a third batch. Right now I'm working on more that are at the same basic size as the ones I've done. I'll just mention Blade Burrower as one that is done. :)

-- I hope to get to the Muaka/Kane-Ra/Shallows Cat in the second batch, but haven't made 'em yet.

-- The LXF files are linked at the end of the first post already. (LXF is the filename extension for LDD files.)

#9 Offline Jam Pot

Jam Pot
  • Members
  • Steely Visionary

• 362 posts
  •  

Posted Jul 13 2014 - 07:59 AM

These are amazing! It's a shame that a lot of those bricks don't come in the colours you've used as I'd love to try to build those for real.

May I use these .lxf files, particularly the Kini Nui? Apparently it's possible to translate .lxf files into something Blender can understand, so if I go ahead with a certain project I'm considering these would look great for wide shots or animated mattes.

Blog|YouTube|Flickr
burning_logo.jpg

The night is darkest just before the dawn when you're standing

in the middle of an empty, unlit cave.

#10 Online bonesiii

bonesiii
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Forum Leaders

• 18,561 posts
  •   BZP Leader

Posted Jul 13 2014 - 08:59 AM

Go right ahead. :) And thanks. ^_^

#11 Online Akavakaku

Akavakaku
  • Members
  • Seeker

• 239 posts

Posted Jul 13 2014 - 05:34 PM

Ok, so Suukorak have regular blue legs, all known Kahgarak incorporate dark blue (and none have regular blue), the Gukko's beak is yellow-orange, Klakk are mostly white, Thulox and Morak are dark red and dark blue, Lohrak have red, not orange, Hahnah are dark red, Nivawk is pure silver and black, Gate Guardians are dark red on one side and black on the other with orange legs, Venom Flyers are totally different-colored, Colony Drones have dark red heads and dark green limbs, and Pewku has dark gray eyestalks and burnt orange limbs.

( The bunny slippers hiss and slither into the shadows. ) 

-Takuaka: Toa of Time

Marendar, the Legend of Spherus Magna: http://www.bzpower.c...-spherus-magna/

Get in the Robot entry: Kalmah's Conquest Exo http://www.bzpower.c...s-conquest-exo/

My BZRPG character: http://www.bzpower.c...pages/?p=668767

#12 Offline RahkshiToa88

RahkshiToa88
  • Members
  • Seeker

• 216 posts

Posted Jul 13 2014 - 07:16 PM

Dawwwww! The Ussal crabs are my favorites.

If you use correct grammar in your posts (or try hard to), place this in your signature. Join Myst's campaign for correct grammar usage on BZPower!

:smilepohatunu: :smilelehvak:

#13 Online bonesiii

bonesiii
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Forum Leaders

• 18,561 posts
  •   BZP Leader

Posted Jul 13 2014 - 08:47 PM

Ok, so Suukorak have regular blue legs, all known Kahgarak incorporate dark blue (and none have regular blue), the Gukko's beak is yellow-orange, Klakk are mostly white, Thulox and Morak are dark red and dark blue, Lohrak have red, not orange, Hahnah are dark red, Nivawk is pure silver and black, Gate Guardians are dark red on one side and black on the other with orange legs, Venom Flyers are totally different-colored, Colony Drones have dark red heads and dark green limbs, and Pewku has dark gray eyestalks and burnt orange limbs.

Thanks! I'll make a Version Two file with at least some of these updates. Some comments:

-Gukko beak is yellow-orange in the actual Whole Collection file (and Gukko species file), which was where I put final versions. Apparently I hadn't used that color in the original "work file" (which I turned into the Basic Collection file). I tried to remember to put all changes to the one file into the other, but apparently missed that one.

-Zooming in on the Klakk promo image, I see its body design is also a little different than what I'd thought, for some reason, too. I'll see if I can change both those things, at least as a second version.

-The Lohrak orange was somewhat intentional as a compromise with the (orange-derivative) brown of the movie version, and the orange eye colors, to avoid the color clashing of the set version (it still kinda clashes, but not as bad), though the BS01 version of the set image does make the red part look reddish orange, and I see a pic now on google that is much more clearly red. I was going to make multiple color options in the Whole Collection file, but it was growing so huge I decided not to bother. I could include another file that has extra colors of just this and a few others, I suppose.

-Nivawk is modeled more after the movie version than set form, which has the colors I went with (plus a few I didn't include as they kinda clash). Again I was going to include multiple color options, but didn't for same reason as above.

-Gate Guardians being symmetrical is on purpose as otherwise it looks bad. The asymmetry is clearly just a result of it being a combiner model. I suppose I could include a set-accurate one just for the heck of it in that extra colors file, though. (And I could do an all black one, and others, too.) And the dimming of the orange to orange-brown was intentional too as I didn't like the look of it with pure orange.

-Same reasoning with Venom Flyers -- the color scheme of the combo set was ugly, so as I mentioned in the first post I seperated them out into multiple color options. I dunno if I would want to bother making a set accurate one with this, as it was really bad. :P I could if anybody says they want it.

-Once again, same with Colony Drones. I didn't like the red and green together. The lighter red on that one is also intentional as it made the head stand out more. Here I definitely think I'll include a more accurate one, though, just fer the lulz.

- The movie Pewku eyestalks aren't dark gray; they're some sort of whitish thing. I went with silver as it seemed to look better. And movie brown is darker and more consistent throughout, so went with that. Of course, the original Pewku was a totally different color scheme. :P I'll include more versions.

Edited by bonesiii, Jul 13 2014 - 09:07 PM.

#14 Offline Kopekemaster

Kopekemaster
  • Members
  • Descending into Protodermis

• 942 posts
  •  

Posted Jul 15 2014 - 08:11 PM

Ah HAH! Are these the other micro-Bonkles I saw at BFNE, then?

Also I don't know if you knew but I had actually begun working on a similar project a few months prior. (Here) I have in the meantime made several more, but never bothered posting them. :P

Anyway. These are epic. What piece did you use for the main section of the Visorak?

ezgif-save.gif

My Writing Blog (Updated frequently)

My Bionicle/LEGO Blog (Updated frequently)

BZPower Chronicles, my BZP comedy. ~~Finished!~~

Species, my dystopian Bionicle story and its respective Review Topic.

#15 Online bonesiii

bonesiii
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Forum Leaders

• 18,561 posts
  •   BZP Leader

Posted Jul 15 2014 - 08:35 PM

Heh, you even used the same name. I probably subconsciously registered seeing that name on the New Content page, but no, wasn't an intentional allusion. Great stuff, though, you should post your others! And no, nothing to do with BFNE. That must have been somebody else.

Anyways, that's the upper half of the Hero Factory spiders from the minifig series (which partly inspired this project). The part labeled "Hopping Grabber Top" in LDD. :)

In other news: I interrupted my second batch of Rahi to make some other stuff that I would then need parts from in the Rahi. I went back to Rahi later, but I'll probably post them all together whenever I find time (not this week, methinks).

#16 Offline dotcom

dotcom
  • Members
  • Kohrak-Kal Shattered

• 4,792 posts
  •  

Posted Jul 15 2014 - 09:24 PM

These are really good! The way you capture some of these in such a small scale while keeping them fully recognizable is impressive. The Manas and Ussal are really great. I can't wait to see more. 

storengusu_-_copy.jpg

#17 Offline Flamewing Studios

Flamewing Studios
  • Members
  • Seeker

• 219 posts
  •  

Posted Jul 20 2014 - 11:27 PM

I could hardly tell they were scaled down. These are amazing.

:a: :r: :z: :a: :k: :i:

"Most quotes on the Internet are not genuine."

-Abraham Lincoln

I used to go by Arzaki.

The Sky's Scar

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users