Rise Of The Dread Colossus

Aanchir

This MOC started out as a contest entry for another site. The theme for the contest was to create a MOC that resembled a potential D2C (Direct to Consumer) LEGO set for the Atlantis, Ninjago, or Pharaoh's Quest themes. D2C sets are ones like 10179 Ultimate Collector's Series Millennium Falcon 10182 Cafe Corner, 10193 Medieval Market Village that are distributed only through the LEGO Shop website, LEGO catalogs, and LEGO brand stores.Since I'm at college, I don't tend to have my full LEGO collection at my disposal and thus can rarely create decent contest entries. However, since it turned out that that semester most of my sets were actually from the Atlantis theme, my twin brother Lyichir and I were able to put this together in time for the contest. It has since been featured at Brickfair and is currently entered in a LEGO competition at a local art museum.

Rise of the Dread Colossus - 1039 piecesThe Portal Emperor has stolen the 5 treasure keys from the Deep Sea Salvage Crew, and has used them to summon Atlantis's ultimate guardian—the Dread Colossus! With the help of their modular submarine, the divers need to retrieve the treasure keys and stop the Colossus in its tracks.-Includes six minifigures: 5 divers and the Portal Emperor-Submarine features two firing Technic shooters, working steering, and two mini-subs that can be deployed from the sides!-Submarine measures 9" (24 cm) squared!-Dread Colossus stands 1' (30 cm) tall!

pic_a.jpgAs mentioned, I built this MOC with my twin brother, who put just as much work and as many ideas into the MOC as I did. The first part we designed was the submarine, although we refined its design many times even as we were building the Dread Colossus later on.pic_03.jpgAs you can see, there are two mini-subs that can be deployed from the sides, and two Technic shooters as armament. Also, the roof of the main submarine can open. Inside the submarine is storage space for equipment, including four harpoons, a metal detector, a hammer, and a wrench. The engine room is also inside, though not very visible in any of the pictures I took.The main action feature is the submarine's functional steering, which is operated using a knob on the top. Here's an animation showing the steering in action:http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Lyichir/LegoMOCs/D2C-Contest/pic_07.gifUnderneath the submarine is a sea-monster-proof cage for holding onto the treasure keys once they've been reclaimed. All five divers' flippers can be attached here as storage. Here, Dr. Fish demonstrates how the cage opens and holds the keys in place.pic_08.jpgAs for the Dread Colossus himself, he has many points of articulation, and has a treasure key mounted on his chest and each of his limbs. He wields a giant trident and has articulated fingers for grasping either the trident or an unfortunate diver!pic_13.jpgThe importance of the mini-subs quickly becomes apparent. While the larger sub distracts the Dread Colossus with blasts from its blunt shooters, the mini-subs have to approach the monster and grab the treasure keys off of his very body. Without the treasure keys, the Dread Colossus will be powerless, and the Atlantis Deep-Sea Salvage Crew can escape with the treasure keys.pic_17.jpgLDD users can view LXF files of the Modular Submarine and Dread Colossus to see their construction in more detail. For more pictures, check out the gallery! Any feedback is appreciated!

Nice. I've talked to you about this MOC before, and I still think that it is pretty cool. I wish you had included a picture of the inside though. :(

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

LUG Ambassador and administrator at Brickipedia

News reporter and database administrator at Brickset

Administrator at BIONICLEsector01

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...