Boneheads of Voodoo Island

Fry

Sorry guys, this was a 2001 prototype. I read that it was 2002 :/

http://www.bzpower.com/story.php?ID=106

Also turns out it was a Rahi prototype.

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

Fun fact! Artifacts of the "Voodoo Island" name persisted in Bionicle long after the name was abandoned. LDD refers to Tahu's fire sword as "VOODOO FLAME", Onua's claws as "VOODOO CLAW", the Toa Mata weapon arm as "VOODOO ARM", and both varieties of the Toa Mata foot (the original and the 2008 redesign) as "VOODOO FOOT". On top of that, the Toa Mata ball joint itself is referred to as "VOODOO BALL", and unlike the others is still used in sets to this day. I'm sure many of the other Toa Mata parts had similar names which Lego never changed internally.

• Upvote 3

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Fun fact! Artifacts of the "Voodoo Island" name persisted in Bionicle long after the name was abandoned. LDD refers to Tahu's fire sword as "VOODOO FLAME", Onua's claws as "VOODOO CLAW", the Toa Mata weapon arm as "VOODOO ARM", and both varieties of the Toa Mata foot (the original and the 2008 redesign) as "VOODOO FOOT". On top of that, the Toa Mata ball joint itself is referred to as "VOODOO BALL", and unlike the others is still used in sets to this day. I'm sure many of the other Toa Mata parts had similar names which Lego never changed internally.

I saw that on LDD too.

The concept art for Doo-Heads is unconvincing as a children's toy line. Not to mention the fact that their early gimmick was, when hit at a certain spot, their entire head would shoot off of their body.

Mortal Kombat meets voodoo, Rock 'Em, Sock 'Em Robots and Lego all at the same time.

LOL

I think that if bionicle had been BoVI my parents, being the kind souls they are would have absolutely banned any and all sets in my house (judging by the prototype)

BY THE GREAT BEINGS, WHAT IS THST THING!

but seriously

buttons.php?frm=1&btn_type=43&txt=Press%buttons.php?frm=1&btn_type=42&txt=Press%
buttons.php?frm=1&btn_type=46&txt=Press%buttons.php?frm=1&btn_type=47&txt=Press%

BZPRPG Characters

Want to play all the Lego games? Click Here

I think the story line has always been boneheads on voodoo island, even when they went to voya-nui. Their heads I noticed have mechanical features which in the bionicle universe, mechanics are the 'skeletons' or 'bones' of the characters with organic tissue within them. So I saw them as boneheads, and they wear tribal masks which makes them voodoo heads and they are on voodoo island which is essentially a mask itself.

If anyone can recreate that prototype, post the picture here. Also, I'm glad that Boneheads of Voodoo Island evolved into bionicle, with such a silly name like that, Lego would've bit the dust with the theme. 

If you like Pingu & want to support a good project, click here. Also, I've rejoined the BZPRPG & I have a new profile for a new game. Click here to see it.

I don't think you guys get it, I think bionicle IS boneheads of voodoo island. It's just glorified with big words like "Bionicle" and makes it more serious but we all should remember Bionicle's Lego roots, as it is part of the Lego universe. There are always two sides to every coin.

Out of curiosity, what ended up happening to that prototype? Does Lego still have it or did it end up being given away to someone?

This many years later it's most likely been destroyed. Lego rarely saves early prototypes like this to my knowledge.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

If you think carefully on the matter, bionicle has been boneheads since the beginning. The original Mata heads are essentially 'bone heads' as they are very mechanical, and we all know the mechanics in bionicles are "skeletal" or BONE.

As for the voodoo stuff, oh yeah. A lot of voodoo stuff was happening throughout the story. Vakama and the turaga were the bonehead shamans wearing tribal witchdoctor masks and the villagers are little bonehead matoran wearing tribal masks and partaking in bonehead activities such as koli. The characters are all dimwitted in their own ways, even makuta who was apparently the most intelligent bonehead in the universe.

Jaller in the mask of light movie references Takua being a bonehead in the opening scene.

"Kohlii -head-! You could've been lava -bones-." Put the words together, you get boneheads.

Even in the inika series they were boneheads. Well that's it.

I'm totally stealing "the most intelligent bonehead in the universe." You can't stop me.

As to that news story, this makes me think it may well have been the inspiration for the Suletu.

banner.jpg

If you think carefully on the matter, bionicle has been boneheads since the beginning. The original Mata heads are essentially 'bone heads' as they are very mechanical, and we all know the mechanics in bionicles are "skeletal" or BONE.

As for the voodoo stuff, oh yeah. A lot of voodoo stuff was happening throughout the story. Vakama and the turaga were the bonehead shamans wearing tribal witchdoctor masks and the villagers are little bonehead matoran wearing tribal masks and partaking in bonehead activities such as koli. The characters are all dimwitted in their own ways, even makuta who was apparently the most intelligent bonehead in the universe.

Jaller in the mask of light movie references Takua being a bonehead in the opening scene.

"Kohlii -head-! You could've been lava -bones-." Put the words together, you get boneheads.

Even in the inika series they were boneheads. Well that's it.

I'm totally stealing "the most intelligent bonehead in the universe." You can't stop me.

As to that news story, this makes me think it may well have been the inspiration for the Suletu.

Permission to quote that in my sig?

I would actually like to see Boneheads today. I mean, sure it would have flopped pretty badly, but my curiosity is killing me. I really want to see what the sets would look like, and how the characters would act (probobly like boneheads :P ).

• Upvote 2

Signature Guidelines: Avatar and signature total file size may not exceed 250 KB!

Not to mention that LEGO would still get sued for...religious?...misrepresentation. Maybe. 

Honestly it sounds pretty terrible. I mean Doo-Heads already sounds terrible but Voodoo heads doesn't sound much better. Besides, Voodoo was less of what they ended up with and they went more African Tribal in a less horrifying sense. I really don't think it would've been successful whatsoever.

Edit: It occurred to me that Hero Factory has a Witch Doctor? What's that all about?

Edited by specsowl

Not to mention that LEGO would still get sued for...religious?...misrepresentation. Maybe.

Honestly it sounds pretty terrible. I mean Doo-Heads already sounds terrible but Voodoo heads doesn't sound much better. Besides, Voodoo was less of what they ended up with and they went more African Tribal in a less horrifying sense. I really don't think it would've been successful whatsoever.

Edit: It occurred to me that Hero Factory has a Witch Doctor? What's that all about?

Perhaps because it was only a single character rather than an entire line based on Voodoo? Edited by Jakura Nuva

• 2 weeks later...

Perhaps because it was only a single character rather than an entire line based on Voodoo?

Also because Witch Doctor is such a generic term that is not really automatically associated with that sort of thing? And you know, he was a villain too, unlike the Voodoo think which might have had Voodoo heroes. 

• Upvote 1

Perhaps because it was only a single character rather than an entire line based on Voodoo?

Also because Witch Doctor is such a generic term that is not really automatically associated with that sort of thing? And you know, he was a villain too, unlike the Voodoo think which might have had Voodoo heroes. 

Having Voodoo heroes might have been better than villains, actually. But do you think they would have been heroes at that point in development? The toys were supposed to decapitate each other, right?

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

Would the sets have been any different?

toa_mata_proto.jpg

You tell me.

That a 2002 prototype not a bonehead

Huh? literally every time I've seen that picture, I've seen it referred to as an "early Pohatu prototype", and it fits with descriptions I'd read of the Boneheads having "poseable eyes" and such.

Yeah, go on to the way back machine to Kanohi Power and it is listed as a 2002 prototype. I have no idea what it could have been...

You can see something similar in this picture:

planetopiasmall.jpg

Edit: Sorry, didn't see the post above.

Edited by NuparuTheArchivist

avohkii_by_djchocolate118-d7j2hv5.png

It would have been tragically amazing and awful. And we would all remember Lego as the amazing company that went bankrupt in 2002.

Exactly right. I'm so glad we live in one of those alternate universes that changed the name and story to the one we all know and love today. 

BIONICLE.

Embers - A Bionicle Saga - Chapters/Review

Class Is Out - A Farewell To Corpus Rahkshi - Chapters/Review

BZPRPG Characters - Minnorak, Kain, T'harrak, Savis, Vazaria, Lash

BZPRPG Mercenary Group - The Outsiders - Description - History - Base

Ghosts Of Bara Magna - Ash Tribe - Precipere - Kehla, Somok, Skrall, Gayle, Avinus, Zha'ar

It would have been tragically amazing and awful. And we would all remember Lego as the amazing company that went bankrupt in 2002.

Exactly right. I'm so glad we live in one of those alternate universes that changed the name and story to the one we all know and love today.

BIONICLE.

Yes, thank God. Doo Heads... My friends would have made fun of me for the rest of my life. Edited by Jakura Nuva
  • Upvote 1