Destiny

For those who aren't in the know, Destiny is a new game developed by Bungie and Activision.

While we're on the subject I still have an unclaimed beta code for the 360. So if you want to claim it go ahead.

And there is a way to make a clan on Bungie.com, if enough people are interested I'll set up a BZP one.

3DS Freind Code: 1693-0634-1082 Name: Joey

I also have Mario Kart 7, Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Pokemon Y and Kid Icarus: Uprising

PM me to add me. 

Steam profile

Click here for the BZP Destiny Group

Alright, I'll pm it to you when I get the E-mail. (Because lets shorten the 4 day beta by giving you the codes when it releases.)

I also have Mario Kart 7, Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Pokemon Y and Kid Icarus: Uprising

PM me to add me. 

Steam profile

I was surprised to receive a beta invite e-mail from Sony. Downloaded it and started playing it earlier today. And...I had fun! 

The controls, presentation, and gameplay are incredibly tight, as per Bungie standards. The controls are especially silky-smooth, with satisfying sound design and animations, to boot. Seriously, that sound design is amazing. Definitely getting the soundtrack...

So far, the quest design is alright, nothing revolutionary. Admittedly, I haven't spent enough time with the game, but I don't think it's going to change much once the game's out of Beta. This type of thing is surely locked in by now. Hopefully the final product offers enough variety. 

Voice acting is all over the place. Some of the characters have great dialog and corresponding performances, but one surprisingly underwhelming performance from Peter Dinklage (as Ghost. No, not Jon Snow's direwolf. Yes, it's the same Peter Dinklage from A Game of Thrones) continues to bewilder me. Surely an actor of his caliber could have done much better? 

The visual style and overall art direction is very impressive (the environments and sleek, clean menus are especially attractive) and graphics and performance hold their own, even on last-gen hardware (I played the beta on PS3). 

Story and lore holds potential, but I think the beta does a poor job setting up the universe. Again, I did only start today, but the final game has to establish the feel and state of the world it's introducing from the very start. 

I'll definitely need to spend more time with it to decide if it's something I want to commit to come September. But I recommend you try it out for yourself, especially if you are a fan of Halo, FPSes, Mass Effect, or Star Wars. 

Edited by -{Lion Heart}-

pWRJY.jpg
Credit goes to Biomech for the almost 20-year-old avatar!

Hmm you could say it is a cross between those other franchises. 

Taken from its Wikipedia entry: 

Destiny is set seven hundred years into the future in a post-apocalyptic setting following a prosperous period of exploration, peace and technological advancement known as the Golden Age. In a universe where humans have spread out and colonized planets in the Solar System, an event known as "the Collapse" saw the mysterious dissolution of these colonies, the end of the Golden Age, and mankind teetering on the brink of extinction. The only known survivors of the Collapse are those living on Earth, who were saved by "the Traveller", a white, spherical celestial body whose appearance centuries before had enabled humans to reach the stars. The Traveller now hovers above the last remaining human city, and its presence allows the "Guardians of the City"—the last defenders of the human race—the ability to wield an unknown power, only referred to as "The Light".

Upon mankind's first attempt to repopulate and reconstruct after the Collapse, it is discovered that hostile alien races have occupied mankind's former colonies and civilizations and are now encroaching upon the City. The player takes on the role of a Guardian of the City, and is tasked with reviving the Traveller while investigating and destroying the alien threats before humanity is completely wiped out.

Edited by -{Lion Heart}-

pWRJY.jpg
Credit goes to Biomech for the almost 20-year-old avatar!

Okay, So I'm going to make a group for BZPower on Bungie, and hopefully people will start joining it. 

I don't have high hopes currently as I've heard barely a mention of it outside of my blog post and this topic.

And here we go. 

Currently it's hidden. I mght change that. dunno right now.

Edited by ~Shockwave~

PM me to add me. 

Steam profile

• 2 weeks later...

Took me a while, lots of debating and looking at gameplay and customization and PvP and the maps/vehicles and so forth... but I might pick it up (especially since other people I know are). Technically I was invited to the beta, but due to not feeling well and playing other games and betas with other friends (too much Archeage, Guild Wars 2, and League of Legends @.@) I never redeemed the code or downloaded the beta client (I mean, I was also too lazy to ever update my FFXIV account info on my PS4 so there's that). 

Dunno how much the game itself will grip me, nor how often I'll have to play it (between classes, medical appointments, outside time, creative writing, other games, etc...) but if I do I'll prolly be running that light armor class (I forget the name of it) as that's usually just my playstyle. 

But, uh, come launch and you see a Spinkiepie running around (I'm assuming it goes off PSN name?) then that's most likely me and I'm most likely going to be staring at scenery. Still sorta hoping there's more colorful locations in the game, but I like some of the atmospheres (like the totally dark area someone went in a LP). 

Usually not terribly big on shooters, but if I can be a neon colored cybertronic creature I'm down with it. Sorta hoping the story doesn't end up being one of those "We take ourselves so seriously, we deal in the dark, our adventures are gritty, dangerous and filled with death" since I still feel like those stories are rather overdone and trite at this point. But if I do get it and like the gameplay and that is the story, I'd likely just outright ignore its existence and make up an elaborate headcanon for everything. 

And prolly make a fun-based character if there's ever RP that sprouts up around it (kinda like I did in GW2 to offset the... incredible amount of dark, dangerous mercenaries/assassins/grizzled warriors x.x)

Hmm you could say it is a cross between those other franchises. 

Taken from its Wikipedia entry: 

Destiny is set seven hundred years into the future in a post-apocalyptic setting following a prosperous period of exploration, peace and technological advancement known as the Golden Age. In a universe where humans have spread out and colonized planets in the Solar System, an event known as "the Collapse" saw the mysterious dissolution of these colonies, the end of the Golden Age, and mankind teetering on the brink of extinction. The only known survivors of the Collapse are those living on Earth, who were saved by "the Traveller", a white, spherical celestial body whose appearance centuries before had enabled humans to reach the stars. The Traveller now hovers above the last remaining human city, and its presence allows the "Guardians of the City"—the last defenders of the human race—the ability to wield an unknown power, only referred to as "The Light".

Upon mankind's first attempt to repopulate and reconstruct after the Collapse, it is discovered that hostile alien races have occupied mankind's former colonies and civilizations and are now encroaching upon the City. The player takes on the role of a Guardian of the City, and is tasked with reviving the Traveller while investigating and destroying the alien threats before humanity is completely wiped out.

Space Fallout :D

• 3 weeks later...

Took me a while, lots of debating and looking at gameplay and customization and PvP and the maps/vehicles and so forth... but I might pick it up (especially since other people I know are). Technically I was invited to the beta, but due to not feeling well and playing other games and betas with other friends (too much Archeage, Guild Wars 2, and League of Legends @.@) I never redeemed the code or downloaded the beta client (I mean, I was also too lazy to ever update my FFXIV account info on my PS4 so there's that).

Dunno how much the game itself will grip me, nor how often I'll have to play it (between classes, medical appointments, outside time, creative writing, other games, etc...) but if I do I'll prolly be running that light armor class (I forget the name of it) as that's usually just my playstyle.

But, uh, come launch and you see a Spinkiepie running around (I'm assuming it goes off PSN name?) then that's most likely me and I'm most likely going to be staring at scenery. Still sorta hoping there's more colorful locations in the game, but I like some of the atmospheres (like the totally dark area someone went in a LP).

Usually not terribly big on shooters, but if I can be a neon colored cybertronic creature I'm down with it. Sorta hoping the story doesn't end up being one of those "We take ourselves so seriously, we deal in the dark, our adventures are gritty, dangerous and filled with death" since I still feel like those stories are rather overdone and trite at this point. But if I do get it and like the gameplay and that is the story, I'd likely just outright ignore its existence and make up an elaborate headcanon for everything.

And prolly make a fun-based character if there's ever RP that sprouts up around it (kinda like I did in GW2 to offset the... incredible amount of dark, dangerous mercenaries/assassins/grizzled warriors x.x)

Bungie has said they are making it intentionally lighter (as in less dark and gritty) than most modern shooters, closer to Star Wars than Halo (which still is lighter than CoD) Also, 2 more weeks. :) Edited by Toa K

Want to solve an exciting murder mystery? Try Murder Mansion II, a new game in Games and Trivia! 8 Spots remaining!

http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/19274-murder-mansion/?do=findComment&comment=964351

Is anyone going to go to the Best Buy midnight release? I'd really like to go for the free T-shirt, but it's a school night. >.<

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

I got rid of my picture, are you happy?

I'm going to get it from gamestop. I don't know about a midnight release though... but I don't have school the next day. College is great.

PM me to add me. 

Steam profile

• 3 weeks later...

For anyone interested, I've created a group/clan for BZPower: Bravo Zulu Posse. I'd love to get some groups together for Strikes/Raids/Crucible.

So far I've been having a lot of fun in the game, although I've only played for a few hours. I look forward to sinking a lot more time in it moving forward.

see if you played on playstation you'd have access to a level 20 loser who spends too much time playing this game (me)

But instead he has me, the guy who has a level six and a level 18 and who has accomplished nothing since receiving the game. By the way, Bladedancer is the best subclass and I will fight anyone who says otherwise.

PM me to add me. 

Steam profile

But instead he has me, the guy who has a level six and a level 18 and who has accomplished nothing since receiving the game. By the way, Bladedancer is the best subclass and I will fight anyone who says otherwise.

I've been enjoying my Hunter, but am definitely looking forward to hitting 15 and unlocking the subclass.

I guess not too many people here are playing Destiny though, as interest in the clan appears to be pretty light.

Woo! Level Eight Titan! 

*crickets*

I like the game a lot, but there are a few flaws I've observed.

#1 Multiplayer is bad. I should never be matched with level 20s as a level 8. That's ridiculous.

#2 Most (story) missions say 1-3 people, but are really waaaaaay easier with three people. I don't have Destiny playing friends, so I'm forced to trudge through the rather repetitive missions slowly and alone.

#3 Textures are actually kind of icky when you look at them up close.

#4 Guns do not make an OSL lighting effect against nearby objects, like walls or rocks, when fired (at least on the moon)

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

Level 14 Warlock on my PSN account (PS3 version). I had a free day after homework last week, but with the difficulty of the projects I am currently working on, I won't have a chance to play again until Friday.

I came into the game while trying to avoid all the previews and I was pleasantly surprised how well this game turned out. I wish that more story was presented in game. The story on the cards is pretty interesting, and I think it was a bit of a missed opportunity to not implement those story elements into the game more.

PSN ID: darthlego
Gamertag: SPARTAN J46
Steam name: jumpy46

#2 Most (story) missions say 1-3 people, but are really waaaaaay easier with three people. I don't have Destiny playing friends, so I'm forced to trudge through the rather repetitive missions slowly and alone.

Which is why I made a clan so BZP people can find other people to play with.

I wish that more story was presented in game. The story on the cards is pretty interesting, and I think it was a bit of a missed opportunity to not implement those story elements into the game more.

I agree. There's a lot of interesting backstory in the Grimoire, but it's silly that you can't access it from within the game. And thus far (having completed the story missions on Earth and the Moon), the story has been pretty vague. I try to compare it to Halo: Combat Evolved, where everything in the Halo universe was still new and unexplained. But with Halo: CE there was a very clear objective you were working towards each step of the way. With Destiny it's more, 'there's some bad guys here doing bad things, we should probably stop them.' It doesn't feel like there's an end goal. Maybe that's the MMO-influence coming through, which is probably why I've never really gotten into any MMOs. The gameplay is fun and engaging though, and I definitely want to get more loot and explore the other classes at some point.

Which is why I made a clan so BZP people can find other people to play with.

I wish that more story was presented in game. The story on the cards is pretty interesting, and I think it was a bit of a missed opportunity to not implement those story elements into the game more.

I agree. There's a lot of interesting backstory in the Grimoire, but it's silly that you can't access it from within the game. And thus far (having completed the story missions on Earth and the Moon), the story has been pretty vague. I try to compare it to Halo: Combat Evolved, where everything in the Halo universe was still new and unexplained. But with Halo: CE there was a very clear objective you were working towards each step of the way. With Destiny it's more, 'there's some bad guys here doing bad things, we should probably stop them.' It doesn't feel like there's an end goal. Maybe that's the MMO-influence coming through, which is probably why I've never really gotten into any MMOs. The gameplay is fun and engaging though, and I definitely want to get more loot and explore the other classes at some point.

Nobody's ever online at the same time I am. 

I also had that Halo: CE feeling of sort of general mystery where you feel you are a cog in the machine, working against and toward things far greater than you. However, I also agree that in Destiny there's no clear end objective. In Halo, it was "Win" - fight back the Covenant, the Flood, and destroy Halo so it cannot be activated. In Destiny, all I can say is "Fight back the Darkness" - , I don't even know what the Darkness is (though I suppose that is part of the allure/mystery aura)! I hope we get the story fleshed out further in later updates, more Grimoire cards, and other media. 

I'm not sure how many people know this, but I believe you have to apply for membership in a clan on top of having to join the group the clan is associated with. I think that's why there's only two members in the Xbox clan, I know at least one more has been playing Destiny for sure and I would venture to say others have as well.

I'd recomend shooting a message to the members if possible so they know that, as it's not made terribly obvious.

PM me to add me. 

Steam profile

Just bought the Destiny Original Soundtrack. First time I've bought music in forever. Not regretting it. Also hit 20 this morning. 

Going from 20 to 21 takes longer than going from 1 to 20. I'm not kidding.

Yeah, that was rather frustrating on my first charterer...  I hit another wall at about level 24 as well. It could really use some ironing out.

PM me to add me. 

Steam profile

• 2 weeks later...

Speaking of ironing things out, what do you guys think of the Iron Banner?

I really wish the map rotation was more varied (only Rusted Lands and Blind Watch (<3) in 7 matches), but other than that, it's just good old control, with a shot at getting some extra reputation - I'm glad that the level disadvantage thing is not super overpowered. As a level 22, it'd be no fun at all to be curbstomped by level 27-30s. I cannot wait to get my gauntleted paws on some of the class items!

Speaking of ironing things out, what do you guys think of the Iron Banner?

I really wish the map rotation was more varied (only Rusted Lands and Blind Watch (<3) in 7 matches), but other than that, it's just good old control, with a shot at getting some extra reputation - I'm glad that the level disadvantage thing is not super overpowered. As a level 22, it'd be no fun at all to be curbstomped by level 27-30s. I cannot wait to get my gauntleted paws on some of the class items!

well as a level 22 i do anyway, level advantages or not 

so at this point im completely over PvP, RNGesus never blesses me anyway and i just end up getting mad because im bad at it

only in dreams.

Yeah, I have a K/D of 0.91 I think, and I've lost almost all of my matches. Destiny's PVP system just hasn't clicked with me. Also, we should get a BZP Destiny groupshot sometime in the Tower. 

Just curious - can someone explain to me what piece of music plays when you're first flying to the Last City, through the storms and the into the Traveler's Light? Part of it is in the Excerpt from the Union, and I think part of it comes from the Music of the Spheres.

Actually, what happened to Music of the Spheres?