Should the Visorak have stayed extinct?

Should the Visorak have stayed extinct?  

31 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

As we all know, the Visorak were wiped out into extinction when Jaller, Hahli, and Nuparu brought the Heart of the Visorak to Artidax. The volcanoes there erupted, wiping out the entire species in the process. BUT, when Teridax took over the MU, he brought the species back. I believe it was stated in Journey's End when he was damaged by Mata Nui and send them to repair some damage to his body. This is basically all that is stated of them in the story after they were brought back.

Which brings me to my question; Should the Visorak have been brought back from extinction? 

My thoughts on this question are this; storywise, I do see why Teridax would recreate them. They would have been very helpful with helping him keep the residents inside him in check. But I personally feel a little cheated by them coming back. We had one entire chapter of Dwellers in Darkness and part of another devoted to the three Toa Mahri bringing the Heart to Artidax so that Visorak would follow. They all became extinct when the volcanoes erupted. And then Teridax just 'poofs' them back into existence. I guess this wouldn't bother me as much if they were actually shown doing something of importance after this, but aside from a mention in Journey's End, we really don't see them do anything in the story after being brought back. 

But I want to hear other member's thought on this. Do You think the Visorak should've stayed extinct, or are you okay with them being alive again?

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

They should have stayed that in my opinion.

Yes I see the reason why they were revived, but, definately in the later years, way too many characters were comfirmed not-dead. Which I really don't like, especially when there was an entire story arc around their extincion.

I'm back!

Definitely not. I did not approve of the Mahri eradicating the entire species, cuz creepy as they were, I grew rather fond of those spiders, and I think they shouldn't have been killed off in the first place. But I'm glad they're back, and now the jungles of Bota Magna will be even more creepy (Anyone wanna call it "mirkwood" now?) ;)

Animation_Mangaia.png.e38a5644c8a08bfd4c488514025b5017.png

Formerly Iron_Man5

It's animal cruelty to eradicate the Visorak. :P

In my opinion, wiping out all the bad guys isn't very fun. Teridax and the Makuta are fine gone, but killing all the previous villains during one period doesn't make for a savory plot. As fishers said, we got to leave some roaming Spherus Magna to keep some excitement, tension, and mystery floating around. Can't keep the good guys off their toes.

• Upvote 1
"What we see depends mainly on what we look for" -John Lubbock

I can only base an answer on in-story logic (taste-wise, I don't really care -- I could go either way), and to me that depends on things like if the "essence" (as in genome equivalent) of Visorak was stored somewhere by the Brotherhood. If not, then... well, I dunno. Teridax's version might be his attempt at a reconstruction. It might be a guess, so the design might differ in some ways. For all I know, he has access to full scans of them by automated GSR internal systems to reconstruct them from. IMO only if it was definite that he wasn't confident enough he could get it right would he choose not to -- their success as an obedient army/swarm for them speaks for itself as to why he would almost certainly want to recreate them.

Translation: No... but if there was an option for "leaning no but really unsure," I would have voted that. :P

Edited by bonesiii
  • Upvote 2

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

They were wiped out, and almost immediately brought back. Their absence had no effect on the story, and once brought back, they continued to have no effect on the story. So I would have like them to have stayed dead long enough for it to matter or else not bother with it at all.

• Upvote 4

YES.

There's a simple principle of writing that Greg Farshtey evidently never learned, which was that it's okay to get rid of a character/group if they've already served their purpose. Sure, you can keep 'em around for a bit to see if they have anything to contribute to later story, but the Visorak had been sitting in the background for three years before their extinction. Their destruction was a big moment in BIONICLE -- the saga very rarely killed off an entire group of characters like that -- and it really helped 2008's conflict feel epic and powerful.

Teridax then recreated them to serve as... I don't know what. Maintenance workers? It's not like he needed the help, what with Exo-Toa and Rahkshi and, oh yes, the entire Matoran universe at his command.

So many things in BIONICLE should have been killed and left dead permanently. The Visorak were just one more of them.

• Upvote 3
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
-- Harlan Ellison

Teridax then recreated them to serve as... I don't know what. Maintenance workers? It's not like he needed the help, what with Exo-Toa and Rahkshi and, oh yes, the entire Matoran universe at his command.

Actually, considering that all the Toa Nuva and Takanuva, among many others, managed to elude him during that time, the death of the original population of Visorak might have made the difference. He couldn't look everywhere at once personally, so when it comes to stocking his armies, the more the merrier. (And they could have helped with the Bara Magna battle, possibly.)

• Upvote 2

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

No...

I'm still waiting for a fight between the Visorak and Lord of Skull Spiders...

• Upvote 3

Add me on 3DS: 0516-7750-0068

Add me on Wii U: Boidoh

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 4: Never Trust a Snake

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 44: Corridor of Elders

Like, Comment, And Subscribe for Nintendo Content - NinBoidoh

I loved the part when the Toa Mahri eradicated the entire species mainly because of the way it challenged the Toa Mahri, and really drove home the extreme methods the Order of Mata Nui used to achieve its objective. I always enjoyed the clash between the Toa's morality and the Order of Mata Nui's, especially since both were technically working towards the same goal, and since the latter was ironically headed by a Toa. 

Despite that, I didn't Teridax bringing back a few all that much, especially since it was mentioned in a throwaway line. That doesn't change the fact that the Toa totally wiped out the entire species in the first place. More so, we don't know the specifics of Teridax reviving them. How many, and in what way? The impression I got is that he only created a few new Visorak to help out with his rule, not thousands like there originally were. Besides, Teridax creating new Visorak makes 100% sense. Considering that he was the ruler of the whole universe, not creating a few Visorak to assist him wouldn't make much sense. 

Edited by toa kopaka4372
  • Upvote 1

toakopaka.png
Credit goes to Linus Van Pelt (Formerly known as Cherixon) and Spectral Avohkii Enterprises

My Memoirs of the Dead entry, Reflectons:

http://www.bzpower.com/board/index.php?showtopic=7351