Mata Nui custom map for Civilization V

Roki

Hello All.

In honor of BZPower’s 13th Birthday I have decided to finally release a project I have been working on for some time.

I present to you: The Mata-Nui Map Pack for Sid Meiers Civilization V!

logo.jpg

Available now on the Steam Community Workshop.

Album of screenshots.

This map-pack contains a recreation of Mata-Nui, including all terrain and river systems that run through the island.
I've been playing around with minor changes to this map since I originally created it back in February, though I’m finally happy with its current state.

In order to attain the level of detail I wished to have for the map, I blew up several pictures of Mata-Nui and overlayed Hex-grids on top of them. Following on by creating each hex tile based on what best matched the original island.

The River systems were somewhat tricky in Civilizations Hex based tile system, though I think I ended up representing them in the best way possible.

Initially, I was going to hold off releasing this until I had created a Mod for the six tribes of Mata-Nui to accompany it, but sadly the creation of these playable factions has ground to a halt due to lack of time on my part.

For those of you without Civilization V, I do recommend it if you are into the 4X genre, though I can post some screenshots of the island in game so you can all check it out.

I’d really appreciate any feedback you might have, particularly on the accuracy of the geography as I spent a lot of time trying to get it perfect.

- Roki

Edited by Roki
  • Upvote 3
sigflower4.png

As someone who's been playing a lot of Civ V, I'm definitely interested in this kind of project. Even though I typically don't download any mods, I have to say this looks pretty good. Of course, that one image only shows the overall shape and type of land on the map (and at this scale, I honestly have a hard time identifying what resources you put in certain places), so I would be interested in some of those screenshots to see what it's like on a more detailed level.

Formerly known as Takanuva's Symbol, I rejoined BZPower on October 10, 2012.

These days, I am perhaps best known for my obsession with all Lego video games.

As someone who's been playing a lot of Civ V, I'm definitely interested in this kind of project. Even though I typically don't download any mods, I have to say this looks pretty good. Of course, that one image only shows the overall shape and type of land on the map (and at this scale, I honestly have a hard time identifying what resources you put in certain places), so I would be interested in some of those screenshots to see what it's like on a more detailed level.

Hey Chronicler!

Glad to hear at least someone other than me is in the Civ V / Bionicle fan overlap.

Currently I have not assigned specific resources to tiles as I was going to include that as a part of the overall mod. 

There are a couple of reasons for this:

• Including it in  the mod I would have been able to re-name the resources to resources found in the Bionicle lore. Renaming horses, cows and sheep to rahi breeds etc.
  • Manually allocating resources is very hard to balance and I'm not sure if I'd be up to the challenge alone.
  • I would have to make it more of a scenario with fixed starting positions to make it fair for all (i.e The 6 Koro's, maybe Makuta's lair).

As I said before creating the mod is in my long term goal list, though for now the map is still playable. All resources are simply seeded randomly as appropriate for the difficulty level, terrain, randomized start points, and number of players selected. 

I do agree that it's somewhat hard to tell what the map looks like based of that World-builder image. So I've uploaded an album of screenshots containing some mostly blank landscape shots and some more from the end of one of my playthroughs.

If you are after specific screenshots, let me know and I'll take them for you!

- Roki

sigflower4.png

Ah, now I see. Thanks to those screenshots, I can now see that what I thought were resources were actually terrain features like mountains, swamps, and atolls. Now I have a very good idea of what the map is actually like at this stage of progress. The only thing I think should be changed is have the Onu-Wahi region be mostly plains instead of desert, just to help show that it's different from Po-Wahi. Other than that, this map looks really nice.

(Just don't expect me to download this map anytime soon. Like I said, I typically don't download any mods.)

EDIT: When I logged onto Steam yesterday, I actually noticed this map as the featured mod on the Civ V page, so congrats on that.

Edited by Chronicler06

Formerly known as Takanuva's Symbol, I rejoined BZPower on October 10, 2012.

These days, I am perhaps best known for my obsession with all Lego video games.

• 2 weeks later...

Ah, now I see. Thanks to those screenshots, I can now see that what I thought were resources were actually terrain features like mountains, swamps, and atolls. Now I have a very good idea of what the map is actually like at this stage of progress. The only thing I think should be changed is have the Onu-Wahi region be mostly plains instead of desert, just to help show that it's different from Po-Wahi. Other than that, this map looks really nice.

(Just don't expect me to download this map anytime soon. Like I said, I typically don't download any mods.)

EDIT: When I logged onto Steam yesterday, I actually noticed this map as the featured mod on the Civ V page, so congrats on that.

Thanks! 

I was pretty amazed at how well the map was received on steam.

I was on the top position of the Civ V workshop for almost the whole week and ended up on the front page of the overall steam workshop page a few times too.

New activity on the mod page has ground to a halt but I ended up with some pretty nice stats

23,034 Unique views.

3198 Unique subscribers

192 Favorites

311 ratings 

180 Comments

It's now probably my most popular Bionicle creation online :)

Oh WOW!

As a fan of Civ V(I have yet to purchase the game, though) this map is just brimming with cool. Hats off to you for your hard work.

Thank you so much! 

I hope you'll give it a go when you get the game. :)

This is awesome! I saw it on reddit. My gf and I play civ 5 so we may have to check it out

Thanks!

Yeah, I cross-posted it over on the BIONICLE and Civ subreddits.

Let me know if you two enjoy it! :)

-Roki

Edited by Roki
sigflower4.png