How do you think bionicle will come back

boston100

42 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1. Reboot. It would be easier for people to get into the story that way.

2. I chose same as the original, though honestly I have no idea how the new story will be. We will have to wait and get some information on it before we could guess how its quality will be.

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

I voted "Reboot" for the first question, but if there were an "Undecided" option I'd have chosen that. I can see a new BIONICLE existing on the same timeline as the old one while still telling a new and independent story, as is the case with many Zelda games. But a reboot seems most likely, given that even Greg Farshtey is skeptical about the potential of a straight continuation.

But as far as quality is concerned, I voted "Better than the original" with little hesitation. As far as I'm concerned, constraction sets have already advanced past what they were back during BIONICLE's initial run in terms of complexity, creative building potential, and aesthetics. I expect that trend to continue. And as for story, I have no doubt it should be able to get off to a good start. It probably won't have the same amount of baggage as the later years of BIONICLE, and the LEGO Group knows a lot more about storytelling than they did in the early years of BIONICLE.

Edited by Aanchir

I voted for continuation, but I think there will be a time gap or something in between the old and the new. 

I voted for "same as original". The sets will be a slight improvement, I think, but I think the story may suffer a bit in the balance; I have yet to see. If there was an option for undecided, I would have voted for that. Still, given that Bionicle's previous ten years of story will have to be worked around, I don't think it will get back up to the original's quality in story. I could be wrong, but I'll see.   

I voted "Reboot" for the first question, but if there were an "Undecided" option I'd have chosen that. I can see a new BIONICLE existing on the same timeline as the old one while still telling a new and independent story, as is the case with many Zelda games. But a reboot seems most likely, given that even Greg Farshtey is skeptical about the potential of a straight continuation.

Erm... The Zelda games split into 3 different timelines after Ocarina of Time... The Decline Timeline where Link was defeated by Ganondorf, the Child Timeline, the main timeline, and the Adult timeline where Link does not exist because he was sent into the Child Timeline so the spirit of the hero no longer exists in that timeline.

Though doing that with BIONICLE would be pretty awesome, there could be an alternate universe where Mata Nui was defeated by Teridax, the main BIONICLE timeline, and a timeline where the reboot occurs.

Add me on 3DS: 0516-7750-0068

Add me on Wii U: Boidoh

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 4: Never Trust a Snake

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 44: Corridor of Elders

Like, Comment, And Subscribe for Nintendo Content - NinBoidoh

Erm... The Zelda games split into 3 different timelines after Ocarina of Time... The Decline Timeline where Link was defeated by Ganondorf, the Child Timeline, the main timeline, and the Adult timeline where Link does not exist because he was sent into the Child Timeline so the spirit of the hero no longer exists in that timeline.

Though doing that with BIONICLE would be pretty awesome, there could be an alternate universe where Mata Nui was defeated by Teridax, the main BIONICLE timeline, and a timeline where the reboot occurs.

I recognize that the timeline splits at Ocarina of Time, but my point is that all the games are still connected, even if not directly.

I don't think alternate timelines like that would be a good thing for BIONICLE, as they might just make things more convoluted. What I was talking about was more how games like Skyward Sword and A Link to the Past are on the same timeline. But while the events of all the Zelda games mimic each other (and Skyward Sword sort of explains why), you do not have to play the games at the beginning of the timeline to appreciate the events of the games later in the timeline. Each game is its own individual story, even though together they make a larger continuity.

And that is exactly why the Zelda series retcons it self a lot...

When ALttP was released it was said the Master Sword was made by sages.

In SS we know it was the Goddess Sword and was made into the Master Sword by Link.

Theres a ton more such as the origins of the Sacred Realm, Hylian Crest and a ton of other stuff. Not to mention the landscape. Don't even get me started on how Death Mountain is in a different position in almost every game... 

The whole incarnation aspect wouldn't really work for BIONICLE either.

Add me on 3DS: 0516-7750-0068

Add me on Wii U: Boidoh

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 4: Never Trust a Snake

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 44: Corridor of Elders

Like, Comment, And Subscribe for Nintendo Content - NinBoidoh

I think it will be a continuation but with a pretty big time gap, that its basically a reboot. Either way ill still be excited no matter what.

I voted better than original just bc LEGO might know how to handle it better since they may have more experience in storytelling, I just hope its main target audience aren't young children, like Hero Factory was.

Continuation, though asking what we want and what would happen are somewhat of different things. Problem with a reboot of course is we already know all the big secrets, plus so much was invested in what we have (I'm assuming by "reboot" we mean the same story retold rather than how the term was sometimes used for Bara Magna, though... if the latter, then that and continuation aren't mutually exclusive) -- and more importantly, they'll want to invent new sets, not make all rehashes of old ones. What's really fascinating the fanbase now is the vast potential the past story set up for future events, so it would be a shame if that potential was put off. Bionicle has always been about innovating, and when they reinvented the wheel it generally failed (Kal), so I doubt they'd unlearn that lesson.

As for the second question, I would have rather a "who knows" option be added. It all depends on who runs it, the ideas they have, the things LEGO budgets for and so forth. Unpredictable. But I voted higher, just because presumably the experiences they've had have taught LEGO something about mistakes to avoid. :shrugs:

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

I think a fresh start is most likely - a continuation while it could work, I think would require a lot more work for them to balance having the prior history, whilst not making it too inaccessible for the newer audience. That being said if you're going to revive a line with such a history, you'll definitely want to reference its history here and there - so in that case it would be a continuation. Practically thinking though what I imagine it to be would be a reboot. :P

Second question is hard to say - I think the best indicator of what a new Bionicle line would be like would be the current Chima line. I really like a lot of the sets, but unfortunately don't know too much about the story.From what I have seen though I think the lore is pretty good but not as good as Bionicle's (even the early days where it wasn't as extensive - a fairer comparison I think since the Chima line hasn't been around as long). I'd have high hopes - but it'd be very hard to exceed the heights of the original. :)

photo-50441.gif

Credit to Pohuaki for the awesome banner! ^_^

a continuation while it could work, I think would require a lot more work for them to balance having the prior history

Actually, the past story set up a world where past history isn't needed -- there's these biomechanical characters and they live on a big green world. And bad stuff starts now. Here's the new bad guys. And here's our heroes and citizens. Besides, Bionicle started with past history. It might be best even to just not mention major past events too clearly so people could go back and find them out themselves; lots of stories do that.

The only major trouble I can think of is they'll have to introduce more species at once. But they could get around that quite easily by for example, having a new name for all the tall ones (something like Toa meaning heroes as an honorary title again, or something new), and a name for all the shorter ones (maybe both being just English so there's not another fancy word to learn). Then trivia could mention the more specific details about the Toa/Matoran and Glatorian/Agori split. Other species could be left on the sidelines for main plot or in some cases incorporated into bad guy groups.

Really, the past history would be more of a problem with a reboot since people could always be looking up spoilers online. Of course style and specifics of many things could be changed, but that opens up problems too -- all avoided with a "continuation" (brand new, unrelated story set in future Spherus Magna).

Edited by bonesiii

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

a continuation while it could work, I think would require a lot more work for them to balance having the prior history

Actually, the past story set up a world where past history isn't needed -- there's these biomechanical characters and they live on a big green world. And bad stuff starts now. Here's the new bad guys. And here's our heroes and citizens. Besides, Bionicle started with past history. It might be best even to just not mention major past events too clearly so people could go back and find them out themselves; lots of stories do that.

The only major trouble I can think of is they'll have to introduce more species at once. But they could get around that quite easily by for example, having a new name for all the tall ones (something like Toa meaning heroes as an honorary title again, or something new), and a name for all the shorter ones (maybe both being just English so there's not another fancy word to learn). Then trivia could mention the more specific details about the Toa/Matoran and Glatorian/Agori split. Other species could be left on the sidelines for main plot or in some cases incorporated into bad guy groups.

Really, the past history would be more of a problem with a reboot since people could always be looking up spoilers online. Of course style and specifics of many things could be changed, but that opens up problems too -- all avoided with a "continuation" (brand new, unrelated story set in future Spherus Magna).

I think our definitions of reboot and continuation are opposite to each others. :P "all avoided with a "continuation" (brand new, unrelated story set in future Spherus Magna)." For me I would consider that a reboot if you're basically disregarding the prior story/not referring to it in any significant way, whilst a continuation would imply building upon the past events and materials. Regardless of the words if they're going to use the Bionicle line they're definitely going to use the same themes and probably (or maybe possibly) locations - otherwise they wouldn't bother reusing the license I believe. :P The question for me is more do they use more than that? Do they pick up where things left off  and have the "new" story of Spherus Magna with some old characters and species etc... in the background basically introduced as new - or do they start in a more rebooty way and not have these references beyond minor easter eggs? (This is why I said location possibly as even if the same location was used a more "reboot" style story could occur if its in the distant future or not really looking at the residents of Spherus Magna we do already know).

I have a feeling in the spectrum between those two options we'd get something whereby the primary story and characters are almost entirely new (ie the plot isn't initiated by something particularly related to the previous story) with a few references and head nods here. Anything more I feel would either be reintroducing established content or having to have exposition of that contents history which -could- be difficult if not in small doses (eg easter eggs :P ).

That being said if they started again with Tahu or someone as a primary character I could see that working equally well - though it might be odd having the characters mostly ignore their history more or less/not talk about past events. Would still work though with how iconic he (or whoever it is) is and what not, just may be more effort than it's worth.

Also what did you mean by "Really, the past history would be more of a problem with a reboot since people could always be looking up spoilers online. "? To me a reboot would imply you couldn't gain significant information about the current series by looking at the old series as it's starting fresh? :???:

photo-50441.gif

Credit to Pohuaki for the awesome banner! ^_^