Which Toa Mata could you see the Story go on without him/her?

Which Toa Mata Could the Story do Without?  

54 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Here is an interesting question I've been thinking about for the last few days. Which Toa Mata could you see the official Bionicle storyline do without? By this, I mean which of them could you see not be included in the story at all, as if they didn't even exist, but still follow the story with the others. 

For me, personally, I couldn't see the story without any of them. I like all six of them and wouldn't want to have the story without any one of them.

But that is just me. I'm curious to see what others have to say about this question. Though I have this feeling that the majority of people will pick the last choice, I want to see if anyone actually could see the story with one or more of the Toa Mata absent from it. 

So vote away! :)

Edited by Toa Smoke Monster

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

The story could go on without any of them. :P Although I would hope for none. I voted more than one, though, on the reasoning that Tahu is now more plot-relevant, like HTW said; the others could be more expendable.

I suppose if I had to pick just one, I'd have to say Pohatu. He often plays just comic relief roles. Then again... comic relief is IMPORTANT!!!1 :lol:

• Upvote 5

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

Hm, I could answer this for the Toa Metru (Onewa or Nuju) or the Toa Inika (pretty much all of them except Jaller and Matoro) but it would be a hard choice for the Mata, since all of them play fairly significant parts in the story at various times, and they're all given a decent amount of limelight too. I guesssss if I had to choose it would be Pohatu, despite the fact that he's one of my favorite.

:music:

I'm not positive if the question is who the story could do without from this point on (as in who could die), or who the story could survive having never existed (who was never necessary). I went with the first definition and voted Tahu. He already lost his Kanohi Nuva and Nuva powers, and he's already achieved the Golden Armor destiny. The other Toa could function without him.

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

It wouldn't be the same without any of them, but while Onua has the smallest story role (so sad), he does save Lewa occasionally, so I voted Lewa. He does provide comic relief, but Tahu's pretty much the main character, Kopaka is too cool to kick out, Pohatu is Kopaka's buddy, and Gali keeps them all from killing each other. Still, I can't imagine the story without any of them.

I could interpret this question as either focusing on the character or plot focused aspect of the storyline. In a character sense, there is some overlap between each of them, for example Lewa and Pohatu are both on the more light hearted end whilst Gali and Onua both have that kind of wise type thing. Tahu and Kopaka's relationship is absolutely essential, as is Gali's presence between that. Beyond that I think you definitely need Lewa or Pohatu - Lewa probably being the more prolific choice in the existing story. That being said Pohatu and Onua are/have been my two favourites and so I can't advocate their removal in anyway. But from a kind of analytical point of view I think their removal would have the least impact.

As for the plot relevance, You could probably do with just Tahu, Gali and Kopaka I'd say, but I wouldn't see a motivation to remove the others as there's no real redundancy I believe and having the large cast of main characters has often allowed more varied adventures occurring simultaneously which I like more than the single hero type story. :)

photo-50441.gif

Credit to Pohuaki for the awesome banner! ^_^

While I was tempted to choose none, ultimately I picked Lewa as he always seemed to get into scenarios that ended up with him needed saving, possibly wasting his teams time. While he's not useless by any means, I just can see the Toa Nuva being able to complete a mission without him. He's more the comic relief of the team.  

Edited by Guardian Legend

“We all change. When you think about it, we're all different people all through our lives. And that's okay. That's good. You gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be."

-The Doctor

I feel that the Mata could have gone without half the Toa (Onua, Lewa, Pohatu), and I believe half of the Toa can be absent from any team and they'll function just fine.

Toa not needed:

Metru: Onewa, Nuju, Whenua

Mahri/Inika: Nuparu, Kongu, Hewkii

Mangai: 4 Toa of ice. who has 4 Toa of ice....

Hagah: All of them. Honestly, I would just have had them be Hordika mutated Turaga, and not try to force more Toa in the story.

• Upvote 2

Archon                      

"For one to truly feel alive, the person must kill oneself a little bit each and every day."

Check out my MOC, one of the new generation of Toa on Spherus Magna!

***Toa Kyraan***

I would have to disagree with the above poster about the Toa Metru. Onewa, Nuju, and Whenua contributed a lot of character, knowledge, and skills to the team, and quite frankly, I don't know that a team consisting of only Vakama, Matau, and Nokama could have accomplished anything.

I sort of agree about the Toa Hagah, though. Their backstory is cool, and necessary to the Avohkii's story, but I would have let them stay Rahaga. Except for stopping the Xia kaiju battle, they accomplished exactly jack squat after Roodaka turned them back.

• Upvote 1
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
-- Harlan Ellison

Mahri/Inika: Nuparu, Kongu, Hewkii

Mangai: 4 Toa of ice. who has 4 Toa of ice....

I'm going to go with Y's comment below on the Metru, but the Kanohi Dragon loves fire and was in the Great Furnace. You need four Toa of Ice to defeat that.

As for the Mahri/Inika, it's possible, I guess. Although Nuparu and made getting into the fortress of the Piraka way easier, and they needed to do that in order to get the Voya Nui Matoran in to rescue the Nuva. 

I would have to disagree with the above poster about the Toa Metru. Onewa, Nuju, and Whenua contributed a lot of character, knowledge, and skills to the team, and quite frankly, I don't know that a team consisting of only Vakama, Matau, and Nokama could have accomplished anything.

I sort of agree about the Toa Hagah, though. Their backstory is cool, and necessary to the Avohkii's story, but I would have let them stay Rahaga. Except for stopping the Xia kaiju battle, they accomplished exactly jack squat after Roodaka turned them back.

I keep hearing this, and I keep thinking that it is wrong. 

In this case, the Toa Nuva had won a battle on Xia and ended up with Roodaka. They take her to the Rahaga, and the Rahaga demand to be changed back. That's what they want: They want to be Toa again. They don't want to be short, less powerful beings anymore. They don't accomplish anything with those new forms, but that doesn't change the fact that they want their old forms back. 

It's like, I don't know, getting world power and domination and then losing it because someone stole it and now they're giving it back because they realized they made a mistake. You would take it back, even though you might not have plans to do something with it, and maybe you won't. But does that change the fact that you wanted it back, and the person wrongfully took it from you?

Or, for a less evil analogy, say that someone infected you with a disfiguring disease and they have the only cure. Would you demand the cure? Absolutely. Even though you might not actually do anything you could not have done if the disease weren't gone, you still would want it gone. You can't judge or consign people by their accomplishments like that. Would you judge real-life people whose diseases' have been cured and tell them "You haven't accomplished jack squat since your disease has been cured, so you didn't deserve to be cured"?

Goodness. And in further case, their accomplishment is irrelevant - they could be Toa or Rahaga and accomplish the same, so they might as well be Toa. They would have had more than a little trouble getting under the Coliseum as Rahaga though, and so the Order would have tried to get some other Toa down there, possibly to the detriment of other missions/tasks that needed to be done. If for that reason alone, they were needed as Toa.

(And we still don't know what they'll do on SM as Toa, so yeah.)  

Actually, it wasn't the Rahaga who wanted Roodaka to turn them back. As I've just realized after a reread, it was Tahu's idea.

To my surprise, Tahu agreed. It was only later he told me that he had other plans for Roodaka, plans that involved sending Lewa Nuva back to Metru Nui. Meanwhile, the rest of us headed to Xia.

As it turned out, Lewa Nuva did not have to go all the way back to Metru Nui to find who Tahu had sent him to find. The six Rahaga had heard about the events on Xia and, amazingly enough, were on their way to help the Vortixx. (I hope someday to be as generous as they are).

Now, for the first time in over 1000 years, they were face to face with Roodaka, the being who had transformed them from Toa into their current bestial forms.

"Your island is being destroyed by the Tahtorak and the Kanohi Dragon," Kopaka said to her. "And the Dark Hunters want you dead – odds are the Brotherhood of Makuta does too, or soon will. Help us and maybe we can help you."

"We want nothing from her," spat Rahaga Norik. "Let her meet the fate she so richly deserves."

But Roodaka was smart enough to know when she was an impossible situation. Making no effort to disguise her contempt for us, she nevertheless raised her Rhotuka launcher and fired at the Rahaga. The spinners struck all six of them, and before our eyes, a miracle happened – six twisted, mutated Rahaga transformed into six tall, strong, and powerful Toa Hagah!

"This is ... amazing," said Toa Gaaki, looking with wonder at her reborn Toa armor. "Norik, it's over – we are heroes again!"

"You were always heroes," said Tahu, smiling. "Now you just look the part."

(Toa Nuva Blog, excerpts from Entries 5 and 6)

"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
-- Harlan Ellison