Star Wars Rebels Reveals at SDCC

LEGO loves spreading the news around - this time, MTV drops the bomb on a 2015 LEGO Star Wars set, 75084 Wookiee Gunship. Based on the upcoming Star Wars Rebels TV show, it will be available in January 2015, contains 570 pieces, and will retail for $69.99. Additionally, they've revealed a sculpture of Chopper, the astromech droid from the show, made up of 11,774 bricks, taking 143 hours to design and build, standing 36 inches tall, and weighing 58 pounds. I have a feeling the LEGO booth is going to be a hot spot of excitement this weekend!

View the full article

This set looks awesome (I know a lot of people might be excited for those new blasters), and Chopper is adorable as always! Who knew you could make an astromech droid even cuter? I guess it's just another way CGI opens up new opportunities for the Star Wars universe. Even Kenny Baker, the actor who plays R2-D2, would probably be too big to fit inside a realistic Chopper costume! I guess in this day and age they could always use animatronics if they wanted to put a similar-size droid in a live-action movie.

$70 is a lot of money for 570 pieces, but I can still see this being a desirable set for Star Wars fans.

That's actually a pretty decent looking set. The overall design reminds me of a the Republic Gunship, although I'm not sure if that's intentional or coincidence. And of course I'm looking forward to seeing how the new shooters work. I wonder if it's similar to the Cordak Launchers?

I wouldn't be too surprised if it were based on the Republic Gunship. The Star Wars vehicle designers love to create a sense of evolving technology, hence why there are so many prequel vehicles like the ARC-170 starfighter that take design cues from original trilogy vehicles like the X-Wing starfighter.