Sauropoid Mixels

SO someone on Eurobricks suggested a possible tribe of Mixels based on dinosaurs. Now, after Dino Attack and Dino 2010, I trust Lego with dinosaurs about as much as I trust a baby to dual-wield flintlock pistols. However, the idea of dinosaur-themed Mixels appealed to me enough for me to try designing my own.

The results are... mixed.

Patos

(57 pieces)

mh8eIui.png?1

What PATOS lacks in brains is made up for in brawn. While the other Sauropoids are often left waiting on this slow creature, Patos is essential to the team to push past any obstacle in their way, whether it be a large boulder or an annoying Nixel!

(The body is a little rectangular because I wanted that back spine, and I was already pushing it with the parts count. Also this is an Apatosaurus, NOT a "Brontosaurus". there will be none of the "b" word here.)

Tyrux

(57 pieces)

VSxh2QP.png?1

The leader of the Sauropoids, TYRUX relies on pure jaw power to assert authority. Tyrux tends to get a little big-headed, but in a pinch, those jaws that can bite through iron will help against even the strongest threat.

(I'm a little disappointed I couldn't keep the white studs off the upper jaw, but putting a tile over it would block the eyes and make the jaw far too wide for my comfort. Still, I am happy with how the head turned out. Also there's no feathers because even if there was solid evidence of T-rex having feathers, it would be difficult to show the likely feathering patters on this.)

Vilousus

(59 pieces)

Mf2HX0B.png?1

VILOUSUS is fast and clever, but often has trouble slowing down, both in running and thinking! This Sauropoid's wings are too small to fly, but with their help, plus powerful legs, Vilousus is the best jumper around!

(if i could have found a way to get hands beneath the wings, I would have, but the parts count was already a little high. besides, the wings look fine to me.)

Sauropoids MAX

VarPhDV.png?1

...okay, so I MAY have designed them without a good MAX in mind and tried throwing one together after the fact. The head and legs are both severely lacking and kinda awkward. If anyone wants to have a shot at it, I might post an inventory for the three Sauropoids and let them have a crack at it. Only catch is I really would rather it was based on a real dinosaur instead of just being vaguely saurian. For instance, this is intended to be a Spinosaurus.

Not sure on their color scheme; it comes across as a less-vivid version of the upcoming green mixels so I might try something different, possibly with dark tan, possibly with pink, maybe even with both? That might look awful but it MIGHT NOT.

Comments and criticism would be much appreciated.

Edited by -Windrider-
  • Upvote 19

Is it weird that I think the best part about this topic are the absurd little blurbs that succeed them.

I trust that they are as accurate as you could make them (since you're the dinosaur expert here). Vilousus might be my favorite just for that little touch on the tail.

tumblr_ng1pw4xLEM1tryxewo1_1280.jpg

Is it weird that I think the best part about this topic are the absurd little blurbs that succeed them.

I trust that they are as accurate as you could make them (since you're the dinosaur expert here). Vilousus might be my favorite just for that little touch on the tail.

I mostly just whipped up the blurbs on the spot, so I'm glad people like them. One thing I took care to do was avoid pronouns so the gender could be up to people's interpretations. (though personally i think of Vilousus as female)

They're accurate, but also stylized. things notably done for accuracy include Vilousus's feathers, the pieces used for Tyrux's hands to ensure accurate wrists, and the iguana-like spines down Patos's back.

Really cute, especially Vilousus.

Thanks!

I love them! Patos is my favorite, and the little blurbs for them are great.

Interestingly, Patos is the one I'm least sure about the design of. I'm glad you like them, though!

FEATHERS

I love these. I love the blurbs, I love the parts you used and I love that you subjected yourself FORCIBLY to match the restrictions as if you were designing a Lego set and still came up with something accurate and cool.

• Upvote 1

20383310448_7d514f8ffa.jpg

Spoiler Alert

I don't think I can accurately articulate how much I love these using the english language.

Vilousus is probably my favorite, FEATHERS!! I like the bananas as claws as well!

I would argue the point that there isn't significant evidence T. Rex had feathers but given the medium the point is moot, besides which, Tyrux is pretty dang cool!

Patos is kind of plain to be honest, both as a design and as a build, dunno what to recommend to replace him though, a Triceratops?

That combo model is ridiculously charming!

Edited by Cabooceratops

I would argue the point that there isn't significant evidence T. Rex had feathers but given the medium the point is moot, besides which, Tyrux is pretty dang cool!

My wording was "solid" rather than significant; there was at least one fossilized impression of T. rex scales, to my knowledge, so I would say a full coat of feathers is debatable. I concede that it's irrational to assume it wasn't feathered, though; perhaps I should have tried a sort of "feathered mane" like I've seen on some interpretations? Though that would be even more foolish than a full coat perhaps. Ah, well. I guess for all my words, even I can't always strive for 100% dino perfection.

Patos is kind of plain to be honest, both as a design and as a build, dunno what to recommend to replace him though, a Triceratops?

I agree that Patos isn't the best. I'm not sure about triceratops, as the frill seems like it could be rather difficult at this scale. I might experiment with a few different ideas for replacements.

It's a shame, though; I had just reworked the Max to be much better than before, and I'd have to take it from the top if I replace Patos XP

(Unfortunately I can't post pictures yet because they're on my laptop which currently lacks internet connection)

• Upvote 1

There was a brief moment where I thought Lego had actually announced these as sets. Your rendering looks identical to Lego's initial promo CG models [though with more accuracy]

that's the power of POV-ray.

also now that you posted I can show off the redesign of the MAX without doubleposting which last i checked is still a big nono

pT3aA9c.png?1

It's still a little rough around the edges but it's a definite improvement over the original.

• Upvote 1

I'm a little disappointed I couldn't keep the white studs off the upper jaw

I actually kind of like how what the teeth are doing on the model- it's more in line with the sort of cartoony-caricature design that the actual LEGO mixels are going for. I love the color scheme you used, too, and I don't think the lack of vibrancy is an issue.

The only suggestion I have is to give the tail on Patos a point of articulation (if it doesn't already- hard to tail from the angle). LEGO's Mixels have a wide enough range piece count that you could add a few more without getting away from the "actual set" aesthetic.

BZPRPG

Congratulations on getting a featured topic, Octodad! :D You did a great job of rendering these Mixels to look like the actual art of the real things, and you gave these adorable little dinosaurs a great color scheme in Metru green, too!

All of them look good, very much like the creatures they are based of at this scale. Patos has a cute cheeky little grin, and his oversized feet only add to his appeal. I don't think the rectangular body looks bad at all; at this scale, you have to go with straight beams, since sauropods had long curving necks and tails that would be nigh impossible to build with so few pieces. That's totally understandable.

Tyrux has a well-constructed head, and I see you even gave him the two forelimb claws that T. rex had in real life. He exudes charm, especially because he reminds me of the neat little Pokémon Tyrunt. ^_^ Vilousus, meanwhile, really fits as a Velociraptor with those Chima wing pieces you have him as feathers. Your use of bananas as foot claws is both awesome and hilarious.

Finally, I really like the revamped Spinosaurus Max that you've made out of them, down to using all of their pieces! It's big and menacing, with a great spine and huge forearm claws, which is quite impressive. I also can't help but think that a Spinosaurus was the perfect dinosaur to make a Max out of, especially since I just saw Transformers: Age of Extinction a short while back, and Grimlock had a Spinosaurus as a ridiculously cool fellow Dinobot. :P

Overall, this is a great batch of custom-made Mixels! Since I know you like dinosaurs (as I do, too!), maybe you could make a second series based off of other familiar faces, in another scaly color such as brown. Say, a Stegosaurus, Ankylosaurus, and Pteranodon, perhaps? I know that a Triceratops or other ceratopsian might be too hard to make at this scale, and a Pachycephalosaur probably would be too. But hey, you are a good LDD MOCist, so I think that whatever you make would be cool.

~B~

Edited by Ballom
  • Upvote 1

Funny you should say that, because I actually have another set of three made! I was toying with new designs after Cabooceratops suggested replacing Patos but instead ended up making a completely new set of three. I didn't post them because I hadn't yet figured out a max, but they're a Stegosaurus, a Triceratops, and an Ankylosaurus. I'd say it's a complete set of herbivores, but I recently read a compelling argument for the possibility of ceratopsians being omnivores so I can't say that in good conscience.

Funny you should say that, because I actually have another set of three made! I was toying with new designs after Cabooceratops suggested replacing Patos but instead ended up making a completely new set of three. I didn't post them because I hadn't yet figured out a max, but they're a Stegosaurus, a Triceratops, and an Ankylosaurus. I'd say it's a complete set of herbivores, but I recently read a compelling argument for the possibility of ceratopsians being omnivores so I can't say that in good conscience.

Awesome! I look forward to seeing those additional three dinosaurs once you have a Max, then! :) And that actually surprises me that Triceratops and its kin might have been omnivores. I wouldn't have guessed it, but maybe their big beaks were good at nabbing small reptiles in addition to slicing plant material. Interesting!

~B~