Voya Nui Writings

I recently watched The Legend Reborn and I noticed how all of the MU writings are in the Voya Nui form where it is in a polygon rather than a circle. Is there a reason for this?

Add me on 3DS: 0516-7750-0068

Add me on Wii U: Boidoh

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 4: Never Trust a Snake

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 44: Corridor of Elders

Like, Comment, And Subscribe for Nintendo Content - NinBoidoh

Storywise, I guess it means that the hexagonal shapes are an earlier form of writing compared to the circular ones. My theory is that, when writing was first introduced in the Matoran Universe, it was hexagonal. Subsequently, on Metru Nui, the circular writing was invented. The reason might be that Metru Nui, a commercial and economic hub, would have needed faster-to-write characters and admittedly it is faster to draw a circle than an hexagon. Since BS01 states that the circle is the "normal" writing, I guess that these symbols eventually spread out to the rest of the universe. Only isolated areas such as Voya Nui would have maintained the original hexagonal characters.

• Upvote 4

632461607_Bannerdefinitivopiccolo.png.8e4bc632ba965c6eaef9247ce71df1d7.png
My collection of epics: The Sanctum of Writing

I was reading The Crossing and in that it said that there were shapes that were circles and had strokes inside of them. 

Circle=/=Hexagon

• Upvote 1

Add me on 3DS: 0516-7750-0068

Add me on Wii U: Boidoh

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 4: Never Trust a Snake

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 44: Corridor of Elders

Like, Comment, And Subscribe for Nintendo Content - NinBoidoh

Storywise, I guess it means that the hexagonal shapes are an earlier form of writing compared to the circular ones. My theory is that, when writing was first introduced in the Matoran Universe, it was hexagonal. Subsequently, on Metru Nui, the circular writing was invented. The reason might be that Metru Nui, a commercial and economic hub, would have needed faster-to-write characters and admittedly it is faster to draw a circle than an hexagon. Since BS01 states that the circle is the "normal" writing, I guess that these symbols eventually spread out to the rest of the universe. Only isolated areas such as Voya Nui would have maintained the original hexagonal characters.

I would agree with that for a storywise explanation.

Non-storywise, I'd guess that the circular version was simply replaced by the hexagonal style when it was introduced in 2006 (or at least that's what the animators thought).

Formerly known as Takanuva's Symbol, I rejoined BZPower on October 10, 2012.

These days, I am perhaps best known for my obsession with all Lego video games.