This is the topic for a group of creations I've been working on for a while now. My general M.O. for MOCing is that I make creations to be as stable, functional, and reasonably-sized as real LEGO sets. The creations I make in my "themes" are designed to go together well, and be highly playable as a cohesive theme. The theme below is the fifth I've made this way, and is sorta a "revamp" of one I did a few years ago, with many of the same set concepts executed in much greater depth and detail (and better photographed!), but at once streamlined and simplified.
I'm calling it "(Not) LEGO Dragon Lands." The premise of (Not) LEGO Dragon Lands is pretty basic, to stay in line with what TLG would do for one of their original themes: the humans of the Kingdom of Ardun are at war with the orc-like Ustokal of the Essoni Desert. Doesn't really matter what they're fighting over, does it? Magic is a big component in this world, as sorcerers and wizards and powerful Legendary Weapons and Dragons(!) are all key assets in the Human-vs.-Ustokal conflict. Something fun I decided to do was set the theme in two principal locations: the hot Essoni Desert, and the Kingdom of Ardun in the wintertime... it should be pretty apparent which sets are from which locale, as the Ustokal will or won't be wearing mittens! There are a few recurring main characters, who get both desert and winter outfits, which was something I liked playing around with.
I had a great time implementing a lot of "magical" functions in these sets, especially by using the new Star Wars spring launchers as "Spell Launchers." I also had a blast updating my old dragon design to be much more detailed and poseable. I challenged myself to make the siege engines that appear in the theme to be as compact as possible while maintaining their functionalities and structural integrity, which actually made me create some weapons I'm very happy with (you'll be seeing them in some later sets).
Clicking the images below brings you to larger versions on Flickr. Feel free to visit the theme's Flickr Album for more in-depth looks at the sets! Thanks for viewing, any comments and critiques you have are welcomed.
64020 Battle for Myrdoc Tower ($130 USD)
Clash for mastery of Myrdoc Tower’s magic!
The ancient and mysterious Myrdoc Tower, home of the wizard Althior, is under attack! The Ustokal sorcerer Rothut will do anything to possess the Legendary Staff, and his minion Kimvor, riding the greedy dragon Imaust, wants to take the Legendary Axe for himself. It’s up to Althior, his apprentice Brigid, and Prince Orion to hold the tower and protect its primeval magic. Includes Althior, Brigid, Orion, Rothut, and Kimvor.
- Includes 5 minifigures with assorted weapons and accessories: Brigid, Orion, Rothut, Althior and Kimvor
- Myrdoc Tower features impressive gothic detailing, flying buttresses, stained glass windows, spires, and plenty of wizard accessories
- Move the magical force field from the stairs to the air bridge
- When Kimvor tries to grab the Legendary Axe, drop him into the dungeon with a secret trap door
- Roaring fireplace really lights up
- Climb the side of the tower using the rusty bars
- Launch the boulder at invaders on the ground
- Pick off enemies with a spring-loaded spell launcher at the end of the tower’s air bridge
- Set also includes a spell launcher disguised in a rock
- Remove one of the flying buttresses to reveal red and blue shots for the spell launchers
- Remotely open the magical shield covering the Legendary Staff by sliding the bar below
- Imaust the dragon is fully poseable, with 32 points of articulation including folding wings, moving toes, and an opening jaw
- Imaust features flexible cloth membranes on his wings
- Seat Kimvor on Imaust’s back
- Weapons and accessories include a sword, a crossbow, an axe, 2 wizard staffs, a snowy owl, a treasure chest with gold coins, the Legendary Axe, the Legendary Shield, and the Legendary Staff
- Myrdoc Tower is constructed modularly for easy assembly and rearrangement
- Combine the modules of Battle for Myrdoc Tower with those of 64018 Alchemist Workshop Defense to create dozens of different castles
- Imaust measures over 13” (33cm) long, with a wingspan of over 16” (41cm) and a shoulder height of 3” (8cm)
- Myrdoc Tower measures over 20” (53cm) tall, 13” (33cm) long and 7” (18cm) wide
Lay siege to the Ustokal city of Issiad!
The soldiers of Ardun, led by General Lerus, are staging a full-scale attack on the oasis city of Issiad, and they’ve come prepared! Against the Ardun force’s massive trebuchet and tall ladder, the Ustokal warriors will have to use all their defenses, including boiling oil, wall-mounted crossbows, and a portcullis. Prince Vorash himself, along with his vicious desert wolf, is prepared to join the fray. Will the Ardun soldiers pass Issiad’s high walls, or will the Ustokal continue to rule the desert? Includes General Lerus, two Ardun soldiers, Vorash, and three Ustokal warriors.
- Includes 7 minifigures with assorted weapons and accessories: the exclusive character General Lerus, 2 Ardun soldiers, Vorash, 2 Ustokal warriors and an Ustokal archer
- Also includes a horse and tame desert wolf
- The walls of Issiad feature powerful battlements, anti-climbing spikes, skirted bottoms, arrow slits, torches, golden domes and plant growth
- Drop burning oil on invaders with the buckets
- Raise and lower the portcullis with a wheel on the back of the gatehouse
- Shoot invaders with the wall mounted flick-fire giant crossbow, which includes extra arrows
- Includes a functional, easy to load rubber-band powered floating arm trebuchet with extra shots
- Scale the walls of Issiad with the siege ladder
- Discover the Legendary Dagger in its hiding place among the rocks
- Enter Issiad through the secret door a the base of the tower
- Detailed interior of Issiad includes Vorash’s throne room, a dungeon, a market stall, a blacksmith, a cellar, and a dining table
- Feed the Ustokal warriors fish, apples, chicken, and vegetables
- Weapons and accessories include 4 swords, 2 pikes, 2 spears, 2 shields, 2 claws, 2 axes, a scythe, a longbow, a hammer, a treasure chest with gold and silver coins, a desert owl, 3 scorpions, the Legendary Dagger, and the Legendary Hammer
- Issiad is constructed in 8 modules for easy assembly and rearrangement
- Trebuchet measures over 8” (21cm) tall, 5” (18cm) long and 3” (9cm) wide
- Set includes more than 27” (68cm) of Issiad walls, which are up to 11” (27cm) tall and up to 3” (9cm) wide
Defend Aona’s alchemist workshop from the Ustokal army!
Ustokal forces are advancing up the mountain, and they’re intent on taking Aona’s alchemist workshop! The workshop is full of valuable potions, but more importantly it also houses the Legendary Beacon, a light that never goes out. The Ustokal army is strong, and armed with a ballista, but the workshop has its own defenses: a drawbridge, high walls, Aona’s spells, and a ferocious ice wolf. Includes Aona, an Ardun soldier, two Ustokal warriors, and an ice wolf.
- Includes 4 minifigures with assorted weapons and accessories: Aona, an Ardun soldier, and two Ustokal Warriors
- Enchant the fierce ice wolf to help protect the workshop
- Alchemist workshop features shelves, tables, a stool, a staircase with a banister, a stove and lots of magical ingredients
- Raise the drawbridge with the working winch, and release it by pulling the lever
- Send the Legendary Beacon flying by pushing the trigger on its base
- Climb the spiral staircase to reach the bridge
- Includes a working rubber-band powered Ustokal ballista with 2 extra arrows
- Also includes a spring-loaded spell launcher disguised in a rock
- Remove a section of the workshop wall to reveal shots for the spell launcher and other accessories
- Weapons include Aona’s staff, a spear, a sword, a shield, an axe, 2 pikes, and the Legendary Beacon
- Alchemist workshop is constructed modularly for easy assembly and rearrangement
- Combine the modules of Alchemist Workshop Defense with those of 64020 Battle for Myrdoc Tower to create dozens of different castles
- Ustokal ballista measures over 3” (8cm) tall, 4” (12cm) long, and 4” (11cm) wide
- Alchemist workshop measures over 10” (25cm) tall, 15” (38cm) long and 7” (19cm) wide
Confront the two-headed Skolek with the Ardun Dragonslayer!
The soldiers of Ardun have a new secret weapon: a huge, repeating spear launcher called the Dragonslayer. But as the Dragonslayer is drawn through a mountainous pass illuminated by the Legendary Torch, Vorash and his two-headed dragon Skolek ambush its convoy! The Dragonslayer is powerful, but will it be able to pierce Skolek’s special iron armor? Includes Vorash, an Ardun Knight and an Ardun Soldier.
- Includes 3 minifigures with assorted weapons and accessories: Vorash, an Ardun Knight and an Ardun Soldier
- Also comes with two horses
- The Dragonslayer features a cool, semi-automatic rotating reload system
- Disconnect the Dragonslayer from the cart horse, and flick-fire its six harpoons
- Skolek is fully poseable, with 37 points of articulation including folding wings, moving toes, and an opening jaw
- Skolek features flexible cloth membranes on his wings
- Seat Vorash on Skolek’s back
- Skolek includes 11 pieces of removable metallic armor
- Weapons include 2 swords, 2 lances, a pike, an axe, and the Legendary Torch
- Also includes a pedestal for the Legendary Torch and a mountain brazier more than 4” (10cm) tall
- Dragonslayer and cart measure over 4” (10cm) tall, 10” (27cm) long and 2” (7cm) wide
- Skolek measures over 13” (32cm) long, with a wingspan of over 18” (48cm) and a shoulder height of 3” (8cm)
Reclaim the Legendary Halberd with the swift dragon Ormser!
The Ustokal sorcerer Rothut has stolen the Legendary Halberd! Wizard’s apprentice Brigid and her dragon companion, Ormser, must reclaim the powerful weapon from him. Brigid and Ormser ambush Rothut at his oasis, swooping down from the sky. But Rothut is a skilled sorcerer, and he shoots spells up at them. Is Ormser fast enough to dodge the spells and snag the Halberd? Includes Brigid and Rothut.
- Includes 2 minifigures with assorted weapons and accessories: Brigid and Rothut
- Ormser is fully poseable, with 32 points of articulation including folding wings, moving toes, and an opening jaw
- Ormser features flexible cloth membranes on his wings
- Seat Brigid on Ormser’s back
- Launch the flick-fire arrows on Ormser’s harness for an aerial attack
- Weapons include Rothut’s staff, a crossbow, and the Legendary Halberd
- Fire Rothut’s 3-shot rapid fire spell launcher
- Also includes a pedestal for the Legendary Halberd
- Ormser measures over 13” (32cm) long, with a wingspan of over 16” (41cm) and a shoulder height of 3” (8cm)
Rule the skies with Fythold, the Ultimate Dragon!
The black, spiny dragon Fythold is a powerful and clever beast. With cool barbed armor, sharp teeth and claws, and mighty wings, this dragon strikes fear into the hearts of his enemies! Prince Orion hopes to gain Fythold’s help in the war against the Ustokal, but Fythold proves a hard bargainer. Will Orion win Fythold’s allegiance, or will he be the dragon’s lunch? Includes Orion and Fythold.
- Includes 1 minifigure: Prince Orion
- Fythold is fully poseable, with 32 points of articulation including folding wings, moving toes, and an opening jaw
- Fythold features flexible cloth membranes on his wings
- Seat Orion on Ormser’s back
- Fythold’s saddle is removable
- Arm Orion with his broadsword
- Fythold measures over 13” (32cm) long, with a wingspan of over 16” (41cm) and a shoulder height of 3” (8cm)
Challenge the Necromancer Scallow on a frozen mountain peak!
It’s the final showdown! Orion, Prince of Ardun, has embraced his destiny, and has climbed the mountain to confront the evil Necromancer Scallow. Clad in strong royal armor, carrying his trusty sword and the Legendary Shield, which can create magic force fields where he needs them, Orion feels ready for anything. But Scallow’s wicked spells are powerful, too, and may put an end to Orion’s quest. Includes Orion and Scallow.
- Includes 2 minifigures with assorted weapons and accessories: Orion in royal armor and Scallow
- Features a collapsible spire
- Includes a spring-loaded spell launcher with eerie green shots
- Shoot Scallow’s spell launcher at Orion’s magic shields
- Hit the magic shield underneath the spire to make it crumble
- Also includes a separate floating magic shield
- Weapons include Scallow’s bone scythe, a sword, and the Legendary Shield
- Spire measures over 8” (21cm) tall, 3” (9cm) long and 2” (6cm) wide
Face the skillful Vorash in a harrowing desert duel!
Vorash, King of the Ustokal, routinely practices his combat skills against a special training machine outside the walls of Issiad. When the Witch Aona comes to challenge him, a high-speed, high-stakes duel ensues! Both fighters are expert and agile, and they seem perfectly matched. Can Aona and her magic overcome Vorash and his weapons? Includes Vorash and Aona.
- Includes 2 minifigures with assorted weapons and accessories: Vorash and Aona
- Training machine features a spinning central column with slots to hold axes, flails, and more
- Knock out characters with the spinning flails
- Position characters on the training machine’s middle column to recreate athletic attacks
- Weapons include 2 axes, 2 claws, a scythe, a sword, a hammer, and Aona’s staff
- Weapon rack included
- Launch Aona into battle with the magic catapult
- Training machine measures over 3” (9cm) tall, 4” (11cm) long and 4” (11cm) wide
Fight for the snowy pass with the Myrdoc Army Pack!
Myrdoc Tower is under attack, and Ustokal forces with a giant crossbow are trying to advance up the mountain to join the fight! The Ardun soldiers must hold them at bay from behind their stone barricade. Includes two Ardun soldiers and two Ustokal warriors.
- Includes 4 minifigures with assorted weapons and accessories: an Ardun solider, an Ardun knight, an Ustokal warrior and an Ustokal archer
- Features a flick-fire giant crossbow
- Shoot giant arrows at the barricade defenders
- Weapons include 2 swords, a shield, an axe, and a longbow
- Also includes a fish with a cooking fire
- Combine with 64018 Alchemist Workshop Defense and 64020 Battle for Myrdoc Tower for an even larger battle
- Giant crossbow measures over 2” (6cm) long and 2” (6cm) wide
- Barricade measures over 3” (9cm) wide
Build your forces with the Issiad Army Pack!
The epic siege of Issiad is underway, and both armies need reinforcements! The Ardun troops have a catapult, but will it be enough to get past the Ustokal skirmishers? Includes two Ardun soldiers and two Ustokal warriors.
- Includes 4 minifigures with assorted weapons and accessories: 2 Ardun desert soldiers, and 2 Ustokal warriors
- Features a functional rubber-band powered catapult
- Fling rocks at the Ustokal defenders
- Weapons include 2 spears, 2 swords, 2 shields, and a scythe
- Also includes a barrel of apples
- Combine with 64019 Siege of Issiad for an even greater battle
- Ustokal banner stands over 4” (12cm) tall
- Catapult measures over 2” (6cm) high, 2” (6cm) long and 2” (6cm) wide
Edited by Black Six, Sep 09 2014 - 05:30 AM.