LEGO Pieces Keep Washing Ashore in Cornwall

A LEGO story trending this week has been about nautical-themed LEGO bricks that continue to wash up on shore in Cornwall, England. It started almost twenty years ago when a huge wave struck a container ship off the coast of Cornwall, resulting in about five million LEGO bricks going overboard, reports NPR. Since then, all kinds of LEGO pieces, usually those found in water-themed sets, keep coming ashore for beach-goers to find. It is a great example of how ocean currents are active and that things do not necessarily go straight to the bottom of the ocean, noted BBC. More pictures can be found through those links. Keep your eyes peeled next you go to the beach to find some LEGO yourself, you never know what might wash up!

View the full article

• Upvote 2

This story slightly unsettles me. There are ~5 million LEGO bricks that fell into the sea and were left for fish to attempt to swallow and choke on, or get caught in their gills. idk, i don't know what I'd prefer to have happened, beyond greater care being taken to keep something like this from happening. this just sounds like something that people look on through a positive lens as they see LEGO washing up on shore without taking into account how much is just floating out there for animals to do lord knows what with, some of it possibly harmful.

idk i can't say i know the exact environmental impact of 5 million LEGO bricks on fish. but it unsettles me that this happened and people prioritize the "oh neat legos on the beach" aspect over the consequences of it

• Upvote 1

There's really not anything we can do about the part spill now. It was a freak accident. The most we can do now is just to try and make the best of it by seeing where they end up and thus studying current patterns.

I'm in the same boat when it comes to not liking the fact that the spill had serious environmental consequences, but unless there's some technology I'm unaware of, humanity is pretty powerless to stop whatever damage the pieces will do.

tumblr_ng1pw4xLEM1tryxewo1_1280.jpg

There's really not anything we can do about the part spill now. It was a freak accident. The most we can do now is just to try and make the best of it by seeing where they end up and thus studying current patterns.

I'm in the same boat when it comes to not liking the fact that the spill had serious environmental consequences, but unless there's some technology I'm unaware of, humanity is pretty powerless to stop whatever damage the pieces will do.

Except according to the article, this kind of thing happens all the time.  2,683 containers were lost between 2011-13, and at least 675 between 2008-10.  Considering all the shipping that goes on around the world, it's a very small percentage... but that's still a lot of excess stuff getting dumped into the ocean.  The fun "Lego washing up on the beach" bit should opened people's eyes to just how long this stuff will last in the water, and maybe realize we need to take action.  Preventative action, since there's only so much we can clean out of the water.

Unless we're going the route of "we're poisoning the ocean is so many other ways, so what's a little bit of plastic when all aquatic life is pretty much doomed anyway."  Pretty funny that a bunch of the Lego that was lost was Aquanauts elements.

:music:

• Upvote 2

Actually, I went to Flordia over the summer and found a small bottle of LEGO pieces with a note in it. It said, and I quote:

"To those who find this... I found these LEGOs on a beach in Cornwall. I have some of my own pieces in here aswell.

-Anonymous."

Kinda cool, but also kinds creepy that I just found it on a beach in flordia, so obviously it couldn't have floated there... It was just... Buried... O_O'

It's a conspiracy!   :???:

Edited by TheBioNerd
  • Upvote 1

This raises the question of which is more painful to step on at the beach: a jellyfish or a LEGO brick?

©1984-2014 Toaraga EAM

• Upvote 2

COT Official Topics | Trade References | COT RPG Guidelines | Truth | A Naming Day Carol | Stars Review The trouble with the status quo is that it keeps changing."College dropout, Shego: they let me in; I let myself out." -Dr. Drakken No great feat was ever accomplished by those who gave into fear or caved under pressure. Earthquakes in many places.|| Busy with life