Mafia XVI: Gallows and Gambits

Dapper-Sama

Shoot, I missed it.

Why are there so many games starting all of a sudden? Just when my summer starts to get really busy...

Edited by ChroXumo

save not only their lives

d665fa5c17bc200a946e0a69eaf11f929dc080cb

but their spirits

Dawn of the First Day

A small cafe in the center of town is rather busy, as can be expected. It's more or less the main place to go in this village, like a tavern in other settlements. The atmosphere was not as cheery as it once was, however; the room felt tense and all conversations were in hushed tones, as if to keep secrets. One such conversation was taking place between two tourists to the city, who obviously were not from anywhere nearby. One, wearing a scarf and wool longcoat, rather unusual dress for the middle of summer, and the other in full armor.

"Alright, ye passed the test thou was assign-ed," says the armored one.

"Do you really have to speak like that?" asks the other.

"Thou art not happy?"

"I am, just... where is it?"

"In your house."

"Why did you break into my house?"

"To put it there, obviously. Art thou a jester?"

The coated one heaved a sigh. He knew his friend wouldn't dare steal from him, but it still really bothered him that his home was broken into. He may as well leave the cafe and head home right now; he had no reason to stay. But, something about "It", the item given to him, scared him. There was much potential for disaster in using it, obviously, and why was it him who had to bring about this city's doom? Because no one else could be bothered, that's why. For such an important problem that needed to be cleared up, the others certainly showed a dissonant lack of interest in fixing it.

Ah.... with friends like these...

"No, I'm not a jester. I'm not even dressed like a jester."

"A minstrel, then?"

"No. I'm leaving. See you when I'm done."

The coated one gets up and walks out of the Cafe.

Night Roles, PM.

Morally unambiguous.

Could the Premier Members in the Shadows and Detectives please make Group PM's for their respective teams?

Speaking of which, Night Roles officially have until 8PM PST, Thursday, to send me their marks.

Edited by Dapper-San

Morally unambiguous.

JUST AS A QUICK NOTE TO EVERYONE:

MT is currently exploring the body's capacity for pies for a week

MT is currently taking part in a week long easter egg hunt

MT is setting fire to Microsoft's front offices in some sad attempt to save Rareware

MT is otherwise indisposed for like 4 days, and as such, he will not be able to participate or read PMs.

Thanks for your time. :P

-Mesonak

Edited by Meso Zehvor
  • Upvote 1

The Three Virtues YouTube Channel

-----

the3virtuesbanner.png

-----

Check it out for laughs, discussion, and more.

Night of the First Day

The day was totally uneventful for most of the Inhabitants; people did their normal thing, whatever it was.  That night, however, is when things became interesting. One totally nondescript individual was hanging outside the Cafe. His name was Caboose. He was leaning up against the corner of the building, right in the alleyway. Unbeknownst to him, he was being watched. Unbeknownst to the people watching him, there were two pairs of eyes watching, instead of just one. Caboose was the only person in the area. One of the stalkers spoke up.

"I'm a Shadooowwwwww..."  the creep said.

What? I thought I was the only one here... thought the other.

"Nonsense, Shadows don't spe- wait a minute," said Caboose in reply.

"But I'm a shadoooowwwwww..." said the first. The other held his tounge, because he had actually done his research.

"Are you a member of one of those... communities?" asked Caboose.

"It doesn't matter, because I'm about to stab the karz out of you."

"Ah, now it makes sense- oh, goodness."

Caboose, Ferryman of the Stars, killed by Murderer

Huh, okay. Less blood on my knife, I guess, thought the silent watcher. Now that his target and the man who killed him are gone, he supposed it would be safe to drop his Shadow persona and act normal. That's what he would've done, if he hadn't felt a touch on the shoulder and a sharp pain in his thigh. The murderer turns around.

"Who in blazes-"

The guy turns around to see a rather tall and lanky Makuta, with medium-sized batlike wings and long, bloody fangs. Clearly, this Phantoka-esque stalker of the night had just bitten him. He looked vaguely familiar...

"Luroka?" the bite victim asks.

"Aw, criminy- how did you know!?" Luroka says, surprised that his victim was able to identify him.

"You're not even wearing any kind of disguise..."

"Do I look like I can hide these obviously identifiable fangs and wings?" Luroka says, with an irritated tone of voice.

"Yes," says the man, bluntly.

"Well, I guess your a vamp-" Luroka is interrupted mid-sentence by a rather large sword suddenly appearing in his stomach. "Oh..."

The new vampire sees a humanoid shape running away, but can't make out any details in the dark.

Makuta Luroka, Patient Zero, killed by Murderer

???, Murderer, converted to Vampire

Suddenly, another humanoid being- possibly a Toa or Makuta judging by height- walks up from where Luroka's killer disappeared to. With shiny- not exactly glowing, but close- red eyes, he stares at the bite victim.

Oh, how hilariously ironic, thinks the Shadow-impersonator. He's about to be devoured by the very thing he's trying to imitate. Only, instead of the expected result, the being melts into a shapeless blob and begins to slide over to Luroka's corpse. Seconds later, both the actual Shadow and the dead bodies of Luroka and Caboose disappear for good.

-MEANWHILE-

Shadowhawk is sitting in his living room, minding his own business, when his phone rings. Shadowhawk, trying not to be a suspicious person, answers.

"Hello?"

"Shadowhawk."

"Who is this?"

"I am lonely and feel like having some company. Do you want to come over?"

"I'm really busy, and have no idea who you are. Very sorry, please call some-"

"I am lonely and feel like having some company."

"Very well, I'll be right over."

Shadowhawk puts down the phone and immediately steps out of the house.

Shadowhawk, ???, diverted by King

Elsewhere, Windrider is taking a stroll. While walking, he glances up on the Cafe roof and thinks he sees some poor fool's legs sprawled off of a railing, but ignores it. He keeps walking until he, for some reason, starts to hear guitar and drums. He stops, and listens carefully. He can hear two pairs of feet on the rooftops above him. He then hears the words,

"INVESTIGATION TEAM GO...!!!"

"Aw, shucks," Windrider says under his breath before running away at full sprint. The two Detectives, in their gray uniforms, pursue Windrider atop the roofs of houses, disturbing several Inhabitants from their sleep.

Shadowhawk, meanwhile, is listening intently to a rant about number systems and identification. Windrider bursts into the house he's in, his presence announced by cries of "STOP! YOU VIOLATED THE LAW!" from the Detectives chasing him. He looks around, and sees the only two people in the room: Shadowhawk, and an exceptionally manly being wreathed in shadow.

"Oh, it's you."  Windrider says, spitefully.

"Who else? This time, I'm not alone." says the King. Shadowhawk stands up.

Windrider would say something, but he could barely speak before the entire area was filled with the sound of someone yelling from just outside the door.

"WINDRIDER, YOU IMPOSTER! YOU CHARLATAN! YOU'RE NO SHADOW, AND YOU KNOW IT!"

"You're not a shadow either, obviously. Shadow's don't... oh, so I'm not the only one?" Windrider says.

He receives no verbal answer, instead, a throwing axe to the face is the mysterious person's response.

Windrider, Murderer, killed by Murderer.

The Detectives finally catch up to Windrider just after his killer makes himself scarce. One pokes his head inside the house.

"Were any of you involved in this-"

"There is nothing illegal going on here."

"Very well, then." the Detective sighs. "First, more disappearances. Then, this. I hate my job so much."

"There was another disappearance?" Shadowhawk asks.

The other detective answers, "Yes, there were three. We suspect that Pupwa may still be alive, though. Do any of you know of his whereabouts?"

Pupwa, ???, incapacitated by Trickster

Voting:

Caboose's death

Phantom: Caboose was killed by a Shadow-impersonator, and Shadows are seen as related to ghosts

Snubby: Known to collect Shadow memorabilia

Tyler: Seen near the scene of the crime afterward

Luroka's death

Shadowvezon: Was found guilty of heresy by the Inquisition a while back.

Norik: Found inside the crime scene, claimed to be a cleaner

Kaiser Mandacus: Thought to be affiliated with a vampire-hunting organization

Windrider's death

Sir Voltex: Well known for use of proxies for revenge, but could also kill with his own hands

Aiwendil: Entered the town under very dubious circumstances

Colette Llyan: A known bladed weapon aficionado

Pupwa's disappearance

MT Zehvor: A coworker of Pupwa's who has complained about his pranks multiple times

Meso Zehvor: Insists he has nothing to do with Pupwa's absence and that he's just sick

Ehks: Knowledgeable of the city's layout; he'd be able to hide Pupwa in any of the places he knows about.

Edited by Dapper-San

Morally unambiguous.

Oh.

Of course Luroka would be the vampire. He already looks like a bat... but why kill him? He could have helped in some way.

And of course someone would mess with Pupwa. Of course someone would kill the staff member.

I vote the following on each list, in order:

Phantom

Kaiser

Aiwendil

Meso Zehvor

Edited by Trijhak

On Bota Magna, everything is about to fall apart.

I'll vote Phantom, Kaiser, Aiwendil, and Ehks.

I'm innocent, I swear it. I've never steered all of you wrong before!

except that one time i was the mastermind

-Mesonak

Edited by Meso Zehvor

The Three Virtues YouTube Channel

-----

the3virtuesbanner.png

-----

Check it out for laughs, discussion, and more.

This Kaiser bandwagon is extremely suspicious. I vote SV.

And also Snubby, Aiwendil and edit: Actually null on the last list.

- :burnmad:

Edited by Burnmad: Toa of Emoticons