Continuation vs. Reboot

118 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm taking reboot to mean completely new characters and story, and continuation to mean anything that is linked to the past Bionicle.

I think a continuation, because if it doesn't link to past Bionicle at all, what differentiates it from Hero Factory or any other theme? I already think of HF as the Bionicle reboot, because the set design started off similar, and look where that ended up. If they have a continuation, it keeps us happy, and I'm pretty certain that's what they want to do :).

• Upvote 1

~ Argentum

I'd definitely prefer a continuation if Bionicle were to return as more than a one-year theme. A reimagining might be nice, but I wouldn't want an entire reboot (different universe, characters, canon). Setting it on Spherus Magna far into the future, without too many references to the past, seems to be the best way; as has been stated, it would have the 2001 sense of mystery, and I'm sure the story team could come up with all sorts of cool places to explore and adventures to be had--and fans would still have lots more. It's an entire planet full of stories. It would be cool to see the characters we know, or perhaps characters only named after the great legends of the past. Maybe something that even slightly mirrors the orignal plotline, like having to save Mata Nui--but this time, he's a consciousness in a mask, not a giant robot. And the giant robot is why I don't think a more strict retelling set on the island of Mata Nui would work; the secret is already out, and that secret is what drove everything from the beginning.

Edited by Mariko
  • Upvote 1

Before I say anything else, I have a question: is it possible for the Toa Mata/Nuva to become Turaga?

I was hoping if they did bring bionicle back it would be in the future thousands of years later where the toa finally end their destiny and become turaga who teach a new toa team that we focus on.
Wasn't the Mata's destiny to awaken Mata Nui? They already did that.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, doesn't becoming a Turaga require both completing your destiny as well as giving up your Toa power?

andromeda_m31_slideshow.jpg

Before I say anything else, I have a question: is it possible for the Toa Mata/Nuva to become Turaga?

I was hoping if they did bring bionicle back it would be in the future thousands of years later where the toa finally end their destiny and become turaga who teach a new toa team that we focus on.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, doesn't becoming a Turaga require both completing your destiny as well as giving up your Toa power?

Didn't lhikan fulfill his destiny and become a turaga without giving his toa powers away? 

Yes, they did. And actually, I'm not sure. Doing a quick look-up (on Biosector01), I can see that the known Toa who became Turaga - the Metru, Lhikan, Jovan's team, etc. - it seems like most of them do give up their power. The one that doesn't really say that is Jovan's page; all it says is that he merely transformed into a Turaga after returning the Ignika to the Chamber of Life.

Didn't lhikan fulfill his destiny and become a turaga without giving his toa powers away? 

In Bionicle 2: Legends of Metru Nui, when questioned as to where his Toa power went, Lhikan replied, "My power lives on in each of you [the Toa Metru]." I would suppose this meant that it was his power that transformed the Matoran into Toa.

Edited by Jakura Nuva
  • Upvote 1

Yes, they did. And actually, I'm not sure. Doing a quick look-up (on Biosector01), I can see that the known Toa who became Turaga - the Metru, Lhikan, Jovan's team, etc. - it seems like most of them do give up their power. The one that doesn't really say that is Jovan's page; all it says is that he merely transformed into a Turaga after returning the Ignika to the Chamber of Life.

No, he said in

In Bionicle 2: Legends of Metru Nui, when questioned as to where his Toa power went, Lhikan replied, "My power lives on in each of you [the Toa Metru]." I would suppose this meant that it was his power that transformed the Matoran into Toa.

So I guess when the matoran activated the toa stones his power transfered to them?...

No, he said in

So I guess when the matoran activated the toa stones his power transfered to them?...

According to Biosector01, "While in prison, he became a Turaga, as his power was taken in order for the new Toa Metru to be granted their powers."

Edited by Jakura Nuva
  • Upvote 1

No, he said in

According to Biosector01, "While in prison, he became a Turaga, as his power was taken in order for the new Toa Metru to be granted their powers."

Okay, so maybe if they continued the story in the future it would be the toa nuva sacrificing their powers for a new toa team which leads them to become toa.

No, he said in

Okay, so maybe if they continued the story in the future it would be the toa nuva sacrificing their powers for a new toa team which leads them to become toa.

The whole reason I asked was because of the reboot/continuation "debate". See, I don't want a(nother) reboot to happen until I see the Nuva become Turaga. It would kind of complete the old story and make way for a new one. Then I could accept a reboot. In fact, if 2009/2010 had been the official end of Bionicle, I would have preferred it ending with the Nuva becoming Turaga.

No, he said in

The whole reason I asked was because of the reboot/continuation "debate". See, I don't want a(nother) reboot to happen until I see the Nuva become Turaga. It would kind of complete the old story and make way for a new one. Then I could accept a reboot. In fact, if 2009/2010 had been the official end of Bionicle, I would have preferred it ending with the Nuva becoming Turaga.

Maybe if bionicle stuck till 2011 one of plans could have been the nuva turning into turaga after teridax is defeated, who knows. I kinda wish the story was wrapped up better instead of being stuck on loose ends.

Maybe if bionicle stuck till 2011 one of plans could have been the nuva turning into turaga after teridax is defeated, who knows. I kinda wish the story was wrapped up better instead of being stuck on loose ends.

I agree. I did enjoy the serials, though.

They still leave a lot plot mysteries unfinished which make a continuation kind of hard to do.

I agree. I did enjoy the serials, though.

They still leave a lot plot mysteries unfinished which make a continuation kind of hard to do.

True dat

6) And with a time jump into the future, there would really be no need to explain old plot to new fans. There's these beings and they live on this world, and bad stuff starts. From there we only really need explore the new features of new story; the rest can just be taken as the world that is. Also, remember that 2001 also came with a lot of backstory, and we didn't need to know that then either. Some of the basics could be included as cultural enrichment if they want, but new fans wouldn't actually need to know it.

Continuation for sure. Why squander all the beautiful work and lore that we've gotten so far by simply ditching it for a reboot?

Spherus Magna is an entire PLANET that remains largely unexplored. There could literally not be a better set up for future story.

Hear, hear!

While I know we each have our own pet-peeves when it comes to certain elements in the canon universe, it's easy enough to just make up your own headcanon and call it an AU, thereby leaving official canon untouched for the rest of us. Somehow it wouldn't feel right if Lego just threw out all those years of storytelling and went back to square one. It'd be one thing if Bionicle had lasted only a year or two, but we're talkin' ten years. Can't exactly sweep all that under the rug, now can we? What would be nice is having some characters in a future setting telling stories about whatever transpired between the restoration of SM and their time, thereby killing two gukko with one stone: old fans get some closure, and new fans get some cool backstory.

• Upvote 4

Hero Factory RPG 2.0 PCs:
| Erik Jet | Daren Wolfe | Henry Flint | Helen Corona | Ethan RezDr. Xaal |

Wasteland RPG PCs:
|
Mina |

It will be a reboot. It would be near impossible to cohesively incorporate ten years of convoluted backstory into a new story without completely and utterly confusing new fans.

But this isn't true. It's completely possible to have a continuation; all you would have to do is describe the most recent/important events in the storyline.

• Upvote 2

There will always be evil for the Toa to defeat. Marendar, Makuta, Velika, and so on. The last few serials showed us that, and while I'd like to see a continuation of the previous story that tied up all the loose ends, I suspect that Lego will opt for a hard reboot instead, with nothing buta set of heroes, villans, and a mcguffin to find. The latter type of story would be easier for newer, younger fans to grasp, in addition to acting as a nostalgia bomb for the older fans

• Upvote 1

Onuarock.PNG

It will be a reboot. It would be near impossible to cohesively incorporate ten years of convoluted backstory into a new story without completely and utterly confusing new fans.

But this isn't true. It's completely possible to have a continuation; all you would have to do is describe the most recent/important events in the storyline.

Which are four years old at this point. It's been too long and, let's face it, the story went off the rails and completely insane starting in 2008. It would be better to just forget all the previous craziness and start over fresh.

Which are four years old at this point. It's been too long and, let's face it, the story went off the rails and completely insane starting in 2008. It would be better to just forget all the previous craziness and start over fresh.

Then why not introduce it as a new story, yet still let ties remain to the old story?

• Upvote 1

Personally, I would like both to happen.  Have it set in the distant future so that all of the questions unanswers fade to obscurity and then have a new plot with new heroes.

Of course, that description is closer to a "reboot" so I voted for that, and not because I want to see Bob and Dot (among others) in BIONICLE, should it return.

• Upvote 1

Executive Vice President of Tomato Throwing

I've gone with "continuation" just because it fits best with my ideal.

That would be more of a soft reboot. What happened still happened and mattered, but you move on from it. Your stories don't become a jumbled mess that conflict and constrain each other and you're free to just have fresh ideas and explore a little. Again.

~|ET|~

• Upvote 1

E-T... Phone home.

"He walks among us, but he is not one of us."

Here's a hypothetical scenario for a 'soft' reboot, made from several ideas floating around the web, including my own:

The setting is far in the future of Spherus Magna, after a new society has been established and the conflicts in the unfinished serials have wrapped up. The setting could be Bara, Bota, or Aqua Magna, or all. Mata Nui is in danger once again. Just like 2001, he's asleep, this time in the Ignika, as he was at the conclusion of the original story. Maybe some villain group is trying to destroy society by kidnapping Mata Nui, or are attempting to, or maybe he was sealed away, and the Toa need to collect six masks to free him. They encounter obstacles, servants of the new villain group perhaps. There could be some worldbuilding with the Matoran and Agori with a MNOG-style game. The Toa Nuva could even look like their Mata forms with a story reason to explain it: their Adaptive Armor. Tahu already looks like his Mata form anyways

There you go! It's the 2001 story all over again, without a total reboot needed.

• Upvote 7

toakopaka.png
Credit goes to Linus Van Pelt (Formerly known as Cherixon) and Spectral Avohkii Enterprises

My Memoirs of the Dead entry, Reflectons:

http://www.bzpower.com/board/index.php?showtopic=7351

But all that 10 years of hard work and story will all be gone.l if it were a reboot.

It's not just a few years, it's ten. Ten jam-packed story potential stories.

All they need to know(the new fans) is the most recent stuff, recent stuff that is immediately important to understand the continuation.

Think about it, did new fans in 2008 have to learn all about the Toa Nuva's adventures in 2001-2007 from Mata Nui island to the serials? No. All they really needed to know was that the Toa Nuva had gone through a lot and after the Mahri brought Mata Nui to life, now the Toa Nuva could awaken him.

Speaking of the Mahri, did new fans need to know the complete back story of the Inika?

No. All that was needed was

"Six important Matoran sneak out of Metru Nui to save the Nuva. They got turned to Toa on the way. Red guy and green guy are warriors. Orange guy is athlete."

And so on and so forth.

It can be done and has]been done.

toa kopaka4372, I've been thinking something almost exactly like that! *likes post* Especially the bit about Mata Nui still needing awakened.

You know, I've started to wonder if the Toa Mata are ever really supposed to turn into Turaga. Theoretically, had they awoken Mata Nui from the kind of trouble the Great Beings actually foresaw, long before he healed Spherus Magna, they could still be needed to awaken him again later. (Although if they actually needed to spend their Toa Energy, other Toa could be assigned that destiny as replacements.) So, even though the healing did happen, does destiny necessarily see their purpose as absolutely finished?

• Upvote 1

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

Here's a hypothetical scenario for a 'soft' reboot, made from several ideas floating around the web, including my own:

The setting is far in the future of Spherus Magna, after a new society has been established and the conflicts in the unfinished serials have wrapped up. The setting could be Bara, Bota, or Aqua Magna, or all. Mata Nui is in danger once again. Just like 2001, he's asleep, this time in the Ignika, as he was at the conclusion of the original story. Maybe some villain group is trying to destroy society by kidnapping Mata Nui, or are attempting to, or maybe he was sealed away, and the Toa need to collect six masks to free him. They encounter obstacles, servants of the new villain group perhaps. There could be some worldbuilding with the Matoran and Agori with a MNOG-style game. The Toa Nuva could even look like their Mata forms with a story reason to explain it: their Adaptive Armor. Tahu already looks like his Mata form anyways

There you go! It's the 2001 story all over again, without a total reboot needed.

*Claps* Well said! Personally, this is now my wish for Bionicle's returns story. Not only does it mix olds hi the new, but it also makes a sort of continuation possible without having to explain too much about the past story.

Of course, I'll only be happy if it ends with Nuva Turaga :P

I was thinking something along those lines, as well--it really is a perfect setup, because we have ridiculously long life expectation, a planet with lots of natural places to explore (like the island of Mata Nui), Mata Nui himself asleep and somewhat helpless, and so on. If it's anything similar to the old Bionicle, I think something like this is the best way to handle it.

I have a feeling it will be a "soft reboot." The characters will be the same, and it may have ties to the old story, but they'll be little more than mythology gags and we'll be seeing an entirely new story and tone.

I'm working under the presumption that you use "Continuation" to mean "picking up where it left off", and "reboot" to mean restarting in a fashion in which the previous story is no longer necessary to know.

Under those conditions, I vote Reboot. I've forgotten more about BIONICLE than many other fans ever knew, and I don't plan on following BIONICLE even if it does restart. Therefore, I'd rather have a story that takes the same world and style of BIONICLE and perhaps a few familiar characters just for a tip of the hat to the past generation of fans while creating an entirely new plot that is more kid-friendly and easy to understand from year to year.

• Upvote 1
How well will you die?

A reboot. But it should be a prequel to the original bionicle storyline we all know and love. That way, for us bionicle veterans we could have a deep understanding and back story of what happened and every so often bringing up little clues of 2001-2010 bionicle story references.

For bionicle newbies, they won't get lost in the story (because it's a prequel). If they are curious of the sequel (bionicle 2001-2010 storyline), they can just look it up on biosector01.

Both fans would be happy!

If it was a reboot, of the original bionicle storyline retold, bionicle vets world be disappointed.

If it was a continue of the 2010 storyline, newbies would get confused.

Based on the leaked bionicle 2015 sets, I really hope the storyline is based off of a prequel. Like how the Toa Mata were like before they landed on the shores of Mata Nui.

Edited by Matoro1992

A reboot. But it should be a prequel to the original bionicle storyline we all know and love. That way, for us bionicle veterans we could have a deep understanding and back story of what happened and every so often bringing up little clues of 2001-2010 bionicle story references.

For bionicle newbies, they won't get lost in the story (because it's a prequel). If they are curious of the sequel (bionicle 2001-2010 storyline), they can just look it up on biosector01.

Both fans would be happy!

If it was a reboot, of the original bionicle storyline retold, bionicle vets world be disappointed.

If it was a continue of the 2010 storyline, newbies would get confused.

Based on the leaked bionicle 2015 sets, I really hope the storyline is based off of a prequel. Like how the Toa Mata were like before they landed on the shores of Mata Nui.

We already know what the Toa Mata did before they went to Mata Nui though. They were created, then sent to Karda Nui to clear out the Avohkah, then they went into their canisters and waited until their launch. Not exactly a lot to work with.
andromeda_m31_slideshow.jpg

In the end as long as 01-10 isn't de-canonized, I'm happy. Be it an alternate universe, a continuation in the far future, a prequel, anything. I just don't want the 01-10 story to be meaningless, convulted story with loose ends and all (though I might be biased because I absolutely love convulted stories XD).

It wouldn't be decanonized, though. It'd just be a separate story on its own, and everything that happened in it still would have happened. It just wouldn't be relevant to the reboot, which would be its own story.

Despite all that, I agree with you, I don't want a hard reboot. Time skip continuation would be the best option for me.

toakopaka.png
Credit goes to Linus Van Pelt (Formerly known as Cherixon) and Spectral Avohkii Enterprises

My Memoirs of the Dead entry, Reflectons:

http://www.bzpower.com/board/index.php?showtopic=7351