BZP Mafia Discussion

Voltex

I have a question for you all:

What would you say have been the most defining features, moments, roles, or scenes of the Third Age? 

Oo, that's a biggie. I would certainly say that the Numbers mechanic has been one of the largest of the features in the Third Age, along with just plain things getting more and more inventive and complex with every game. Almost in the same way that BZP has this really unique way of having RPGs, which I've seen contrasted against other sites such as, per say, the LEGO Message Boards, BZP in the Third Age has really developed the Bionicle Mafia scene from just an adaptation of that camp game people like to play into this massive, groundbreaking in a way, scene of secrets and unique roles and so much more. 

One of my personal defining moments remains the ending to By the Numbers, the first one, and then my game, IV, directly afterwards. For roles, without a doubt our Pyro has been a huge influence and addition to the Third Age, with at least 2 if not 3-4 games being named after the guy, and practically a majority having him in it in some form or another. He's spawned his own nemesis, the Cryo, and yet his basic feature remains: Select 2 people. RNG will decide who dies.

Oh, and the curse of the Pyro's always good for a laugh. It's still ironic that the only person the Village can count on to lynch first round is him, no matter how good the hints toward the Mafia are. 

...Whelp, I've rambled more than enough. Hope that provides at least a little insight. :P

Zakaro

• Upvote 3

AGoNWLR.jpg

They call me Zakaro. You should too.

Oh gosh darn it valendale you're right.

Okay, Medic can't target himself because this is slightly more difficult MAFIAAAAA

@ Voltex's Q: Well, here you go.

Woo. This is pretty hard to think of, but I’ll get it done. So, the most defining features of the Third Age... There are a lot of ways to go with this, but I’ll try and touch on the more top level distinctions, the ones that spanned games.

First area I’ll touch on is the most gameplay side of things. Overall, one of the major things that sticks out to me is the fact that, as a community, we have a metagame, and a meta narrative. Looking back on II - X, we see a lot of Lloydtiming, we see a lot of the Chattering Corpse Heap, We see the creation and subsequent unuse of about a billion “types”.

Almost every decisions in those games revolved, in some way, around the Lloydtiming. Who was going to die first was not going to be somebody who could lloydtime “well”, and so on. However, ever since... I’d say ever since 12, this entire metagame and a lot of the metanarrative seemed to fade away. Obviously, there are exceptions to this, such as the story of XVIII. Mostly, though, the game has shifted to a more freeform state after this, largely to the implementation of new mechanics.

Look at the games from XII - XV, for example. We have a game where the roles shift every night, we have an additional winstate for the village, we have an economy, and we have an unusual Mafia in the item system. Absolutely none of these games were at all like the ones previous, and I think exemplify one of the greatest parts of the Third Age in general, which is the willingness to experiment, moreso than we’ve seen before, I’d say. In the other ages, IIRC, the experimentation was more in the roles themselves, but mostly didn’t come out into the game as a whole. (Of course, there are exceptions I can think of off of the top of my head, but they felt more like the exceptions to the rule from my memory. Curse you lost forums *shakes fist*)

A more concrete example is the first post of V. Let’s face it. You learn that the game had not one, but two Mafia groups duking it out, Village in the middle. It was absolutely a gamechanger in the way that it changed the standard interactions between the two sides. This interaction was also played with over many of the next games, include our very own XX right now. Come to think of it, however, III also did this with the numbers system. Essentially, there were a lot of games that strayed from the Mafia v Villager with a few neutral roles formula, which I think was very important.

As well, I feel like it has been in this age that Mafia has been sort of... legitimised, I guess. We have our patron saint in Windrider, we have this topic for general discussion. Heck, Ninjago Mafia was even on the front page. We have Voltex’s big ol Mafia world, and a wiki. Just overall we are no longer just a tiny part of a larger forum that is largely ignored. We are a more intrical part of it now, which is pretty cool.

These are the major things I’ve seen in the past couple of years or so. Overall, I would say that Mafia now is a better game as a whole, especially when we focus on it as a game. I am certainly looking forward to the next two years and 20 games!

/pretentiousEssayRantRambleOver

• Upvote 8

Yeah, I noticed that too and got a little excited, cause I thought it was on the first page. =P

I believe my exact words were ASJFSA WE'RE ON THE FRONT PAGE AGAIN?!

then a minute or so later I was like wait this was just on the twitter, isn't it.

Then, (I believe it was Windrider but it may not have been) and I talked about getting XXI on the front page and when front page is useful and such.

Made me laugh, though.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, I noticed that too and got a little excited, cause I thought it was on the first page. =P

I believe my exact words were ASJFSA WE'RE ON THE FRONT PAGE AGAIN?!

then a minute or so later I was like wait this was just on the twitter, isn't it.

Then, (I believe it was Windrider but it may not have been) and I talked about getting XXI on the front page and when front page is useful and such.

Made me laugh, though.

23 needs to be posted on the front page when signups start

otherwise it'll never be filled.

I've heard the term many a time in BZP Mafia, but I've never exactly figured out what it is.

What's Lloydtiming?

WHEN THE DEAD SPEAK

The current easiest example would be in XIX, when I got Pulse to speak for me before Voltex said "nope dead aren't allowed to heavily interact with the game"

1Ydp0mg.jpg

Steam name: Ehksidian

20 RG the Impatient

So you're saying in XII that was actually what I was on the list? =P

-Rahkshi Guurahk
GENERATION 3: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
If I actually tried putting all the stuff I like on here, the sig would burst.

d1O9dXQ.png

(This banner is created by http://www.bzpower.com/board/user/59020-onaku/ )

He means 12.

XII = 12

=p

EDIT: RG You derp read the topic before saying that.

Edited by Rahkshi Guurahk

-Rahkshi Guurahk
GENERATION 3: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

d1O9dXQ.png

Everything that we have ever known is a lie, and I do not know what to think anymore.

But we obtained false information, and several parts of the Darkest Days trilogy have been rendered non-canon instantaneously thanks to this new revelation of mine while browsing the archive on the Wayback machine.

firstagerevelation.png

Yes... the true creator of the Bionicle Mafia series, if this new revelation is indeed correct and an earlier game does not exist, was actually a member by the name of Lewa-Twilight Toa.

• Upvote 5

Everything that we have ever known is a lie, and I do not know what to think anymore.

But we obtained false information, and several parts of the Darkest Days trilogy have been rendered non-canon instantaneously thanks to this new revelation of mine while browsing the archive on the Wayback machine.

firstagerevelation.png

Yes... the true creator of the Bionicle Mafia series, if this new revelation is indeed correct and an earlier game does not exist, was actually a member by the name of Lewa-Twilight Toa.

GeJO6dJ.png

bBhcfWO.png

firstagerevelation.png

Of course, how could we know for sure which was the earliest instance of Mafia on BZPower? Mafia is a fairly well-known game. I should be surprised if it didn't appear on BZPower until 2006. The fact of the matter is that we remember Fighty's Mafia game, not any earlier iterations. So, unless he has been prevaricating all this while (which I rather doubt,) Fighty spawned the series of Mafia games that endures to this day. He is thus the founder of BIONICLE Mafia as we know it.

Edited by Quisoves Pugnat
  • Upvote 4

gZsNWyr.png

(Credit to Nik the Three for the banner)

Of course, how could we know for sure which was the earliest instance of Mafia on BZPower? Mafia is a fairly well-known game. I should be surprised if it didn't appear on BZPower until 2006. The fact of the matter is that we remember Fighty's Mafia game, not any earlier iterations. So, unless he has been prevaricating all this while (which I rather doubt,) Fighty spawned the series of Mafia games that endures to this day. He is thus the founder of BIONICLE Mafia as we know it.

But we now have solid proof of this earlier game. Whether it's functionally the same as Mafia today is irrelevant, since Mafia rarely functions the same as it did when Fighty hosted anyway. This other member is now the earliest host that we know about, and as such should be considered the founder of Bionicle Mafia on BZPower. 

Fighty also never claimed to be the founder himself; we just assumed he was, because his was originally the earliest game that we found. We just obviously never looked at every single possible date on the wayback (which I still have not done, so the possibility remains of an even earlier game we've missed).

• Upvote 1

But we now have solid proof of this earlier game. Whether it's functionally the same as Mafia today is irrelevant, since Mafia rarely functions the same as it did when Fighty hosted anyway. This other member is now the earliest host that we know about, and as such should be considered the founder of Bionicle Mafia on BZPower. 

I wasn't referring to functionality, but rather to continuity. We now have a series of Mafia games, with a system of sorts for their creation, and a set of baseline rules that are assumed unless otherwise stated. The particulars change, but they are part of a succession. But I see what you mean. That makes sense about Fighty.

We should really ask him for elucidation on the matter.

• Upvote 3

gZsNWyr.png

You see, child, before anything there was something

"What do you mean, Elder?"

I've told you about the many ages of Mafia. However, even before the first age started there was another time indeed. The Dark Ages, known as such because so little is known, even less than the First Age.

"How can this be?"

Before Fighty, another started a Mafia game on BZP. While Fighty's game started the First Age, there were scattered games under the same name. It would be a while before the continuity we know today would be established, but at first it was anything but.

• Upvote 9

Okay now that Windrider closed MT's game, I can say this:

The majority of the mafia were active actually, just MT wasn't. =P

-Rahkshi Guurahk

d1O9dXQ.png

can confirm

for a bit everyone went inactive but then we got active again except for MT. even had a kill decided.

You were Mafia after the reshuffle? That's ironic.

It was great fun contacting players and pretending to be Zane. Folks were rather obvious about having roles that game. I was in contact with the Security Guard and the Welder (who gave me a knife, which, alas, the reshuffle prevented me from using.)

gZsNWyr.png

can confirm

for a bit everyone went inactive but then we got active again except for MT. even had a kill decided.

You were Mafia after the reshuffle? That's ironic.

Yes it was

1Ydp0mg.jpg

Steam name: Ehksidian

I have finished the first scene for XXII. After sending it to several acquaintances in random corners of the internet, I have received confirmation that it is, in fact, as gloriously epic as I thought it was when I finished writing it. I have a feeling that it will, quite possibly, be the best non-ending scene yet to appear in Mafia.

Also, while I'm here, I'mma slap the banner, courtesy of iBrow, all over to build hype.

xxii.png

HYPE HYPE HYPE

*Snaps fingers*

• Upvote 5