BZP Mafia Discussion

Voltex

I'll support Golden Heist

So will I, even if I'm keeping the game itself unspoiled for myself.

Edited by Spooky RG

-Rahkshi Guurahk
GENERATION 3: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
If I actually tried putting all the stuff I like on here, the sig would burst.

d1O9dXQ.png

(This banner is created by http://www.bzpower.com/board/user/59020-onaku/ )

Yo, could I request a saved spot? I have school tomorrow and probably won't get home till late afternoon

Just this once and Im not reserving any others. Just make sure you post in the topic whenever it's posted to confirm.

E: actually if someone named Onaku wants to play they can reserve a spot too since they also looked over the game

Nobody else

Edited by Tex

Wow it's been like two years since I last played Mafia. I must not miss this! =D

Then again I might end up making an embarrassment of myself because I totally forgot how this game works...

Village votes in the topic of the game.

Mafia and special roles vote via PM.

Hope you become a Mafia because they have a good 95% chance of winning do to the Village killing it's own all the time.

• Upvote 2

Hey I got a Flickr because I like making LEGO stuff.

https://www.flickr.com/people/toatimelord/

Wow it's been like two years since I last played Mafia. I must not miss this! =DThen again I might end up making an embarrassment of myself because I totally forgot how this game works...

Village votes in the topic of the game.

Mafia and special roles vote via PM.

Hope you become a Mafia because they have a good 95% chance of winning do to the Village killing it's own all the time.

Actually, slight correction to that, everyone votes in-topic, but mafians and special roles send in the targets of their special abilities to the GM over PM. ^^

I kinda feel like a total noob now Xp.

Oh well, I guess I'll just have to do what every other noob does, live and learn.

Edited by Koala Kranan

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, would anyone be interested in looking over a draft I'm kicking around?  I've been brainstorming a followup for Slizers on Okoto--I think I've got something good, I'd just like some professional input on some of the mechanics if I can get it.

Okay, here's what I've got:

Slizer Mafia 2: Okotans’ Revenge

Having invaded Okoto, the Judge Slizer was able to use the Mask of Time to return to the year 2000 and create a future where the Slizer theme continued.  For years now the theme has prospered, having millions of fans and drawing in massive profits, completely overshadowing every other smaller constraction line Lego has produced on the side and achieving a steadiness that ensures many more years of prosperity.

But as the theme entered into 2015, a familiar distortion appeared in the sky over the Slizer Dome.  Later that day, a Slizer official was found dead, holding in their hand a note written in the Okotan alphabet: “We will take our future back.”

The Judge Slizer has been put in charge of finding and eliminating the Okotan invaders.  The Slizer Dome has been placed in lockdown, successfully cornering the bionic fiends, but they have managed to infiltrate the task force and are working to dismantle it and leave with classified information about a certain individual.  As their allies start to be picked off one by one, the Judge Slizer resorts to desperate measures…

Okotans: These G2 elites have made their way to this alternate timeline to claim vengeance for the Slizers razing Okoto.  Win by eliminating all Slizers.

-Ekimu the Mask Maker x1: A wise elder determined to take back what is rightfully theirs.  Each night, Ekimu will order one of the other Okotans to kill someone.  Ekimu cannot be killed unless he is the last Okotan left alive.

-Kulta the Skull Grinder x1: This creature’s dark powers were disrupted in the process of crossing timelines, limiting what they can do…for now.  If they survive until Night 4, however, their powers will return, and they can revive one of the players they have killed as a Skull Slizer bound to the will of Ekimu.

-Umarak the Hunter x1: An elemental being of Shadow who is one with the night itself.  When Umarak kills someone, there is no suspect list.

-Tahu the Uniter of Fire x1: Being the leader of the Toa, Tahu has some doubts about this mission, but if Kulta is killed he will realize that he has no choice but to take things seriously.  At this point, Tahu will call Ikir to his aid and be able to kill two people when sent.

Slizers: A special task force assembled to eradicate the Okotans, they have now been compromised and must purge their ranks at any cost.  Win by eliminating all Okotans.

-Redshirt Slizer x ??: Generic soldiers who don’t do anything other than vote in lynchings.

-Judge Slizer x1: An elite official leading this task force.  Their vote counts as 3 votes.

-City Slizer x1: A speedy Slizer who can investigate one player each night to learn their role.

-Spark Slizer x1: A medical officer who can protect one player each night, nullifying all attacks against them.  They can also grant an electric shield to one player, giving them the ability to escape death once, but the Spark Slizer can only create ONE such shield.

-Blaster Slizer x1: This aggressive gunner selects one player to kill each night, though their weapon is ineffective against other members of the task force.

Neutral Roles: Civilians who were unable to get out before the lockdown went into effect.  Win by surviving.

-Music Slizer x1: This Slizer wants to be involved and will target someone every night, but their mood is entirely dependent on what song their iPod shuffles out.  They might protect their target, they might kill them, they might prevent them from acting, they might learn what their role is.  Music can take you anywhere.

-Flare Slizer x1: A disturbed individual who was found enjoyment in this chaos.  Every night they will target two players and launch a volley of fireballs as they fly over, randomly killing one and burying the other in rubble.  If a player gets buried in rubble twice, they will die.

-Hiker Mike x1: An unbelievably friendly individual and a master of negotiations.  They can target one player and talk them out of making any rash decisions, stripping them of their role ability.  This ability can only be used ONCE, and the player must explicitly activate it in their PM.  If Ekimu is targeted, he will be killed and another Okotan will assume his authority; if another Okotan is targeted, they can no longer be sent to kill.  Since targeting a Redshirt Slizer would accomplish nothing, if Hiker Mike targets one of them, this ability will not be used up and Hiker Mike can try again.

[My concerns:

-For clarification, the Skull Slizer here is nothing at all like the one in Slizers on Okoto.  This Skull Slizer will have no ability, can be sent by Ekimu to kill someone at night, and can be killed (again) just like any other player.  Plus, if they resume voting after being revived, everyone is probably going to figure out that it was them (I could even explicitly state who gets revived in the scene).  Though maybe this could use some adjustment?  Also, right now Kulta can only do this once, but I was considering letting him do this once a night after activation, so long as he has a large enough pile of bodies. (Though by that point there probably won’t be many nights left, so it might be a moot point.)

-Tahu’s ability.  I went with Kulta’s death as the activation, but I’m wondering if I should just have it activate if either Kulta or Umarak are killed, or even push it back to activate only when Kulta and Umarak are both dead. (Rendered inactive by Hiker Mike counts as dead in this context.)

-For the Music Slizer, I’m wondering if I should be fair and tell them what their ability for the night is before they pick a target, or just have them give me a target and then decide their ability without telling them.

-Not completely sure on 48 hours per round.

-I’m not entirely sure how many players to shoot for.  Maybe 25, and once we hit that wait an extra 12 hours?  With eleven special roles, that would leave me with 14 Redshirt Slizers, give or take…

-Right now I’m thinking two separate votes for each scene, assuming we hear from both Ekimu and the Flare Slizer.  Since the Blaster Slizer can’t harm members of the task force I was thinking it would be logical their kills wouldn’t face retribution…though for carnage’s sake, perhaps I should overlook that? :P

And of course if there’s anything else you think needs changes, I’m all ears!]

• Upvote 2

-I would say don't reveal who is revived, but denote that they may have been on the suspect list. That's what I did back in Mafia VII at least. As for how often, I would say every night sounds way too strong, maybe every 4 nights, since that would probably only be 2 revives even if the game goes long. 

-No idea what to say on Tahu.

-Absolutely don't tell the Music Slizer what their exact ability is in advance. I think giving them a song name as a hint might be a cool idea though.

-24 hours per round should be fine, but do what you want.

-25 players sounds good. If more that join, say ~30, you might want to add a generic Okotan or something.

-I would say definitely no more than 2 lynchings per round.

Again, these are just my opinions, and you can decide what you want, especially if someone else gives their input.

• Upvote 3

-I would say don't reveal who is revived, but denote that they may have been on the suspect list. That's what I did back in Mafia VII at least. As for how often, I would say every night sounds way too strong, maybe every 4 nights, since that would probably only be 2 revives even if the game goes long. 

-No idea what to say on Tahu.

-Absolutely don't tell the Music Slizer what their exact ability is in advance. I think giving them a song name as a hint might be a cool idea though.

-24 hours per round should be fine, but do what you want.

-25 players sounds good. If more that join, say ~30, you might want to add a generic Okotan or something.

-I would say definitely no more than 2 lynchings per round.

Again, these are just my opinions, and you can decide what you want, especially if someone else gives their input.

I largely agree with Valendale and would say that, in general, you would be wise to follow his advice. To build upon his comments, however:

-I'm partial to once-per-game abilities instead of ones that are 1) periodic but not nightly, or 2) activated. It's simply a matter of consistency and game balance-- periodic abilities might not go off at all, or they might go off a dozen times, depending how the game plays out. (For that reason, I'm partial to a single, strong revive. Maybe let him cast his vote via PM?)

-Activated ones, in particular (this regarding to Tahu), could easily never go off, or could go off on the first night, and these cases yield two game situations which are drastically different in balance. However, in the case of Tahu's particular ability, killing twice, I could see why you might be partial to having it be activated rather than a one-off. So I would recommend making it as consistent as possible (goes off when either Kulta or Umarak dies) to reduce the likelihood of a late activation, then balancing the game around it activating on the early side.

-Fully agree on Music Slizer. If you're going to have a chaotic, for-fun role, go all the way with it.

-I'm partial to longer rounds in almost any type of game, but 24 hours usually works fine. 48 perhaps better accommodates people in different time zones, though.

-Yeah, player count doesn't matter, so long as faction population is appropriately balanced around it.

-My personal preference is one lynching per round, two is fine. Game stability generally lowers as daily lynchings increases.

- :burnmad:

• Upvote 2