BZP Mafia Discussion

Voltex

BIO:

[insert whatever information or fun facts that you wish here. Talk about your mafia-related accolades, impressive stats, fun anecdotes, favorite role to play, strengths and weaknesses, your approach to the game, other players' quotes about you, or take out the ###### on the whole thing and make some jokes. The ball is entirely in your court, this will be how you present yourself to your fellow competitors and to the 135 spectating communities.]

Fun game idea: You all write my bio for me, one word or sentence fragment at a time

This is definitely not just because finals are coming up and I can't take the time to do it, not at all, haha...

- :burnmad:

I'll start.

--

Hello, my name is Dampsad. I am very damp, and very sad. Luckily, that is entirely irrelevant to my skills in Mafia, which, in the most humble opinions of my Mafia community members, could be considered as songs of legend.

--

(Off to you, whoever follows)

• Upvote 5

Alternatively, we could compose a poem.

"There once was a man named Dampsad.

At mafia games he was quite bad.

He died as he lived.

He lived as he died.

And at the end of it all he was quite tired." 

(I don't actually have anything else, because I suck at poetry). 

• Upvote 3

Embers - a new Bionicle Epic - Coming 2024 

Class Is Out - A Farewell To Corpus Rahkshi - Chapters/Review

BZPRPG Characters - Minnorak, Kain, T'harrak, Savis, Vazaria, Lash

BZPRPG Mercenary Group - The Outsiders - Description - History - Base

Ghosts Of Bara Magna - Ash Tribe - Precipere - Kehla, Somok, Skrall, Gayle, Avinus, Zha'ar

UPDATE ON MAFIA CHAMPIONSHIP

Originally, the plan was for this season to feature 135 communities. We will now have 165 participating communities, which means that this season alone we will have more different communities represented than all other seasons combined. Approximately 60 communities are participating for the very first time. Of the returning communities, about a dozen of them are resending a previous representative, while the rest are all sending fresh faces.

As a result of how big this season has gotten, we'll have more games to look forward to than ever before. We will have 11 qualifying games, 2 wildcard games and 1 finale game = 14 games in total.

All kinds of communities are partipating. Besides the sites dedicated specifically to mafia, we have forums dedicated to popular entertainment, sports, poker, board games, online games, video games, role playing, LEGO, personality type testing, stick figure animations, science, atheism, music, mathematics, comics, students, etc. Some of these communities started playing mafia more than a decade ago; Others just started this year.

Despite this being a forum event, we will also have communities that play the game via various chat clients (Discord, Telegram, IRC, custom, etc.) and via webcam (with games often streamed on Twitch.tv). And not least, there are communities centered around mafia game variants that you can buy on Steam (Town of Salem and Throne of Lies).

This season will also have the biggest international scope yet. For the very first time we will have representatives from Romania, Hungary, Chile, Portugal, Ukraine and Czechia as well as our first person representing a Japanese community. We even have our first Native American. 

In addition to this, we of course welcome back countries such as USA, Canada, Australia, United Kingdom, Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Finland, Germany, the Netherlands, Spain, Poland, Italy, Indonesia, South Africa and Ireland, meaning that we'll have more than 20 different countries represented in total.

Next update: I am hoping very much I will have all the info I need from all of the representatives by Wednesday at the latest next week. Assuming I do, I will schedule all the qualifying games on this day and get back to you with your representative's start date.

• Upvote 4

Alternatively, we could compose a poem.

"There once was a man named Dampsad.

At mafia games he was quite bad.

He died as he lived.

He lived as he died.

And at the end of it all he was quite tired." 

(I don't actually have anything else, because I suck at poetry). 

Close, Nato, but a Limerick is AABBA Rhyme

bBhcfWO.png

FINAL UPDATE

Your representative has been slotted into this game below.

GAME 6 @ MAY 22 (36/12 Phase Lengths w/ 10 PM EST deadline)

@7-Zark-7 (ARS Technica)

@AragakiAyase (Flash Flash Revolution)

@Bious (Jesus Toast Mafia)

@bruin228 (Nutopia)

@Burnmad (BZPower)

@Cobalt (Gay Teen Forum)

@Fable (No Goblins Allowed)

@Flare (Survival of the Fittest)

@Jon Paul (DailyMafia)

@MysteriousLad (Wars World News Forums)

@One one two (Canucks Community)

@Ronaldwho (Xtratime)

@Shooter0898 (Sackinima)

@Skyoden (Hattrick.org (Chilean))

@Vaimes (MTG Salvation)

Do you wish to spectate and/or talk with players from other communities?

We have a big chat on Discord (300+ members) for those that want to spectate and talk about these games. The representatives will be added to this channel too after they die. Or if you just want to chat with people from other communities, we have a general chat too that is unrelated to the Mafia Championship.

1) CLICK HERE TO JOIN: https://discord.gg/zdeEhcg

2) Tag one of the red or blue people in the chat (write @Thingyman or @staff for example), let them know who you are and from what community, and they'll give you the necessary permissions to see the spectator channel. This is necessary to avoid the wrong people (the representatives and their backups) joining the channel.

You don't need to have Discord installed in order to join the channel, as there is a web version.

Do you want to have your own private community spectator chat?

This is definitely both allowed and encouraged. However, I ask that you please do everything possible to make this chat private and inaccessible to your representative, backup and your representative's opponents. It's important that your thoughts and comments don't influence the game. In other words, please don't post about the game in public threads -- this is very important.

Where do I get more info?

This thread will tell you all the details about this season. It also includes the list of participating communities and their representatives.

If you need to get in contact with me, my Skype is "thingyman" and my Discord is "Thingyman#6075". From this point on I will be checking in less on the various sites. I will make sure to pop in again though when your representative's game starts and post a link :)

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...

For the most part it’s a pretty standard game, the main idea I wanted to test was the Chorus System.  The game is centered around a particular song (well, a Bionicle take on it), and the generic Villagers are each assigned a different portion of the lyrics.  When they die, they join the Chorus, and can continue to vote via PM—however, their vote will only count if a chain is formed from the player with the earliest active lyric to them.

For example, let’s say Lyrics A, B, and C are active, and the players with B and C send in their votes.  Neither will be counted because Lyric A is the earliest active lyric.  Alternatively, if the players with A and C send in their votes, only the vote from the player with A will be counted, since there’s a break in the chain.

This also comes with a neutral killing role called “the Silencer” (because I have nothing better)—if they kill a Villager, then that Villager does not join the Chorus.  At first I thought the break this would leave in the chain could rob many players of their votes, but now I think that’s unfair, especially if they keep killing, so the only affected players will be the ones killed by the Silencer.

Edited by Lab Member 0579
  • Upvote 2

My game starts tomorrow/later today (time zones). I think Thingyman said he was going to post the links to the games on the participants' home forums when they start, but if he doesn't, I'll do so for you guys (pending approval, anyway).

Just wanna remind you in advance: no discussing it in this thread, or in any other place where I can see it!

Edited by Lord Burnmad Aodh
  • Upvote 3

Game link.

Remember: No talky-talky! If you wanna discuss it, start a PM group with just you guys in it, or you can use the Discord Thingyman linked up above. Whatever you do, don't talk about it anywhere I can see, or you'll probably get me DQ'd!

• Upvote 3

The Championship Game Has Begun!

Hi guys!

I'm a bit late with this because I've been busy, but your representative's Mafia Championship game has started and it's still Day 1: http://www.mafiauniverse.com/forums/threads/8686-Season-4-Game-6-Smurfs-The-Mafia-Championship

I wish them the best of luck.

Remember to please keep discussion of the game to private channels where the players wouldn't be able to see your comments on the game. 

Also, if you want to spectate the game along with people from other communities, you can join the Discord server here (500+ people): https://discord.gg/zdeEhcg

In the past few days we've had a troll who keeps joining the server, so when you enter the server please tag and let the @staff know which community you are from and who you are cheering on and they'll give you access to the spectator channel :)

• Upvote 4

• 2 weeks later...

Hotel of Okoto is over, so if anyone wants to start up XL they can go ahead.

Conclusion: the Chorus System needs work.  A lot of work.  There doesn't seem to be much incentive, though that could just be the larger issue of voter turnout, and the chain requirement hindered what votes did come in far more than it was intended to.  Back to the drawing board, I suppose.

• Upvote 3

Since Voltex is leaving us :( the Bionicle Mafia Community has some things it needs to have a discussion on.

Such as should we create a new topic so the opening post can be edited, should we just start a new Master Mafia list in this topic, who should be the one to create and maintain the post in either case.

Is Mafia something we still need to regulate?

This needs to be discussed.

Edited by Toa TimeLord

Hey I got a Flickr because I like making LEGO stuff.

https://www.flickr.com/people/toatimelord/

• 1 month later...

After much thought, I think I’ve reworked the Chorus System into something more polished.

Like before, each standard villager is assigned a specific section of a song with an alphabetical designation (Chorus Fragment A, Chorus Fragment B, etc).  Now, when a villager is lynched, the remaining villagers can PM me guessing which Fragment the lynched villager had, and whoever’s guess is closest inherits that villager’s vote.  So if Lynched Villager had Fragment A and someone guesses B, Living Villager With Good Guessing Skill’s vote now counts for 2 votes.  The effect is cumulative, so if Lynched Villager had a voting power of 2, then Living Villager With Good Guessing Skill’s voting power becomes 3.  If no villagers try to guess by the start of the next Day round, then the voting power of Lynched Villager goes to a random Mafian.

(For multihangs, I’m thinking each Living Villager can guess for each Lynched Villager.  In the rare event someone guesses correctly/closest for multiple Lynched Villagers, they’ll only inherit the voting power of the first one they guessed correctly/closest.)

On the flip side, when the Mafia kills someone, they get to vote on which of them gets that person’s voting power.  Likewise, if none of them vote by the next Night round, that voting power goes to a random villager.  And of course the Silencer will be back, nullifying all voting power of whoever they kill.  They’re the one player who can’t inherit any voting power under any circumstances.

Hopefully now that the system is centered around living players, it’ll see more use than when it was centered on dead players, who have no further reason to care about the game, and that should help me see if any further adjustments need to be made.  I don’t think I’m ready to start up a game using this just yet, but I’m considering doing one soon(ish) so I wanted to see what everyone else thinks of this new system.  Any suggestions?

• Upvote 2