BZP Mafia Discussion

Voltex

Twus a great ride, even with Xaeraz killing me in like the first or second round XD

I do see how By the Numbers 2 was quite gritty, and almost similar in tone to the Mafia Epics while not going as deep into a character due to the rather satisfying death rates. :P

Just because it's popped into my head and the series of darker games we've had for the last few months, would anyone be interested in a Bionicle Mafia ###: Comedic Relief ? :P

Zakaro

XX may or may not appear gritty at first and then get ridiculous, then revert to gritty due to stuff.

1Ydp0mg.jpg

Steam name: Ehksidian

Oh, and here are my thoughts on "By the Numbers 2":

The Host:

All in all, Voltex, was a transparent, communicative, and amiable host.

Aside from two instances of rule confusion, he kept everything going rather smoothly.

The Gameplay:

The idea of number-based identification is a simple, yet clever one. It adds a layer of obfuscation without eliminating the psychological element so essential to Mafia.

My one major complaint was about the suspect lists and clues, though of course these are by no means exclusive to this game. A suspect list containing at least a third of the players (as one in the course of the game did) I might abide, given the large amounts of players BZP games have, but four persons to a list rather detracts from the game-play, I think, in giving the village a 1-in-4 chance of weeding out the killer, thereby eliminating a lot of the thinking normally required for such a task. The clues, additionally, greatly remove the psychological aspect from Mafia, even if they are quite cryptic, by giving the players a means of rooting out the Mafiosi without examining their reactions. I rather like the innocent-list you're employing for XIX, and I hope that it replaces the suspect-list as the standard.

I liked the fast pacing, which was kept things from becoming dull. Most games couldn't get away with it, but it was nice to see Voltex using the renown that comes with being a veteran host to the advantage of everyone involved.

The Players:
My team was delightful. Aside from one player, who was absent the entire time, all of my comrades were quite active, helpful, and enthusiastic, even those who were killed early on.

The village I have mixed feelings on. They were an enthusiastic bunch, but I don't feel as if they really embraced the By-the-Numbers concept. I don't recall them ever actually making a choice based on someone's behavior. They seemed more concerned with clues and who had and had not appeared on a suspect list yet. As a result, I never quite felt like I was playing a full-fledged game of Mafia.

The Writing:

The scenes were all well written and exciting, and I was particularly fond of the respective death scenes of Xaerez and me.
My one complaint in this department is that I never could completely tell if the scenes were supposed to be pastiches, and as a result, I was disappointed that all the portentous happenings amounted to so little.

Overall:
So, in spite of the lack of satisfactory adversaries, I heartily enjoyed By the Numbers 2. Voltex amply demonstrated why he is such a beloved host, and I hope that XIX is not his last hurrah. I enjoyed pulling the wool over the villager's eyes, watching as they dropped like flies, and it was good to see the Dark Hunter's plotting pay-off. If games like this are frequent enough, the Third Age shall last a good deal longer.

• Upvote 3

gZsNWyr.png

(Credit to Nik the Three for the banner)

The village I have mixed feelings on. They were an enthusiastic bunch, but I don't feel as if they really embraced the By-the-Numbers concept. I don't recall them ever actually making a choice based on someone's behavior. They seemed more concerned with clues and who had and had not appeared on a suspect list yet. As a result, I never quite felt like I was playing a full-fledged game of Mafia.

Can't say "This person did it!" when we can't kill by name, after all.

When Taka voted #15, I instantly suspected her but said nothing...because I didn't know her number. oh well.

XVIII was still fun even if the mafia DID kill me. I don't like dying that way. Then again, I couldn't have been lynched considering I was never actually put on a suspect list...

1Ydp0mg.jpg

Steam name: Ehksidian

[...]

When Taka voted #15, I instantly suspected her but said nothing...because I didn't know her number. oh well.

[...]

I just wonder if there was actually anyone who didn't suspect me after that. ^^ That vote was kind of a mistake on my part.

Edited by Fairy Paladin

20210512_strollin_banner.jpg

My art collection topic - updated! (21/09/2021)

So, it has come to my attention recently that there seems to be no consensus as whether or not a 50:50 Mafia-to-Village ratio constitutes a Mafia victory. Perhaps we should vote on the matter?

For my own part, I think that 50:50-victory only makes sense. It seems rather unfair to say "sorry, but you can't win now that there's only one of you four folks were around for the final lynching." In a small game of vanilla Mafia, with only one Mafioso, this would mean that Mafia's hopes of victory would be dependent whether the number of players were ever or odd.

gZsNWyr.png

50/50 Scenarios

50/50 Night: Mafia wins, because they kill the final Village-aligned player.

50/50 Night, with Medic, 2 People: If the Medic can heal themselves, then everybody dies, because you'll get the first Day scenario listed below.

50/50 Day, 2 People: Everybody dies, because both players vote for each other.

50/50 Day: Could go either way; depends on if everyone votes and if a Mafia member betrays their side or if a Village player is stupid.

One quick thing I wish to mention is that inactive players are actually a major part of the stratedgy of BZP Mafia games, in my mind. Take, for instance, the game where the medic never showed up. (Was this III or somewhere in the second age? I remember the member's name was MIA which made it hilarious. =P)

I know elsewhere inactive players are replaced during the game, but we don't really have that luxury, I guess.

Idunno, just a random thought.

One quick thing I wish to mention is that inactive players are actually a major part of the stratedgy of BZP Mafia games, in my mind. Take, for instance, the game where the medic never showed up. (Was this III or somewhere in the second age? I remember the member's name was MIA which made it hilarious. =P)

I know elsewhere inactive players are replaced during the game, but we don't really have that luxury, I guess.

Idunno, just a random thought.

It was in By the Numbers, and it was MIA, but he was the Turaga - not the Medic. =P Still, his display name wonderfully matched what happened.

Considering the fact that I signed up to play on Botalnu and was thrown into Tara Karda randomly, as were all that are currently present there, we just had so much more invested into our avatars than ourselves. =P

- :burnmad:

Oh, I'm sorry to hear that. That's a failure on my part, then.

Edited by Quisoves Pugnat

gZsNWyr.png

So, with DC over, Ninjago Mafia dead, is there anyone who wants to host a side game, or are we too burned out, and instead giving the whole side game thing a rest for a while?

Just asking. Partially because I missed the newest game, partially out of curiosity. Can't really comment on DC, I died and and never really kept track of what was happening after that.

On Bota Magna, everything is about to fall apart.

So, with DC over, Ninjago Mafia dead, is there anyone who wants to host a side game, or are we too burned out, and instead giving the whole side game thing a rest for a while?

Just asking. Partially because I missed the newest game, partially out of curiosity. Can't really comment on DC, I died and and never really kept track of what was happening after that.

Damage Control isn't over, though it should be soon.

EDIT: I know that Seaborgium has express an interest in hosting a game, and I'd be curious to see how he'd do.

Edited by Quisoves Pugnat

gZsNWyr.png

Well, I'll just patiently wait over here then. Dead in DC, missed XIX... so, Seaborgium, what are your ideas for a mafia game?

Had an idea for a rather mafia game a few months ago as follows:

Mafia: Hordika

26+ spots or so

17 Matoran. The usual villagers. Might end up as their own worst enemy if they're not careful. In more ways that one.

1 Herbalist - can save people, but not mutation. Not immune to mutation after the first night.

1 Rahaga - the Turaga equivalent. Double votes, already mutated. Can be reversed.

4 Visorak. The Mafia equivalent. Due to being Visorak. These are the creatures that kill and mutate at the command of the Leader of the Visorak Horde.

1 Horde Leader. Leads Visorak, selects whether to kill or mutate targets. Immune to mutation. Only four mutations are possible, due to having four Visorak. Mutated targets gain an ability assigned at random.

1 Keetongu. Cures people of mutation, and can kill Visorak, but only Visorak.

1 Roodaka. Mutates two people of their choosing at the start of the game to join them. Gains an extra chance to mutate someone should the Horde Leader die.

Haven't really thought this through, it came into my head one day and it probably wouldn't work. Twist of that would be the mutation or something. 

Now, I'm curious, what ideas do we have for Mafia games, BZP? Perhaps we could have a vote on ideas while we wait for XIX to finish.

Edited by Pulsating Cheddar
  • Upvote 3

On Bota Magna, everything is about to fall apart.

I have an expanded version of the "tribes" concept introduced in Mafia III-4: The Four Tribes that could make for an interesting game. Six tribes of roughly four players each. Along with two or three players not connected to a specific tribe. I might host it, but it's more likely that it'll never see the light of day - or that I'll pass it on to someone who can do it justice as a host.

I've also given away the Curse of the Pyro game concept, which is all that I shall say at this time. DEAL WITH IT LOSERS.

One thing I'd like to see is the "King" role from Gallows and Gambits see use in more games - I'd love to see what sort of creative ways it can be used.

Quick question

Can you all say "By the Numbers 3"?

If so, please stay tuned. But not tuned in the way you would normally expect or think, because it's not that. But it is kind of that. Sort of.

It's complicated.

Just stay tuned for the love of Hapori Tohu

Haipori-Nui complicated?

Speaking of which, I really do need to post the next scene for Damage Control, it's just that the reaction to the last one left me so disheartened (and I've been feeling lousy, to boot.)

• Upvote 3

gZsNWyr.png

By the Numbers 2 Episode 1.

Am I close?

Also I had half a mind to do a sequel to Dead Sea I would actually finish, but I can't remember the gimmick of it for the life of me.

• Upvote 2

All are not the same

But three shall be as one

Freedom in the flame

The end has just begun