Project MNOG 3D

specsowl

New LOMN. Just sayen

How is this like LOMN?

Earlier in the thread he mentioned that it looked like a new LOMN and that I should use the original Tohunga instead. The idea is very similar to a open-world(ish) game featuring the island of Mata-Nui. 

However, this game takes place much later than Legend of Mata-Nui and features rebuilt Matoran instead of the Toa. I very much have an idea in place of how I want the game to run and the rebuilt Matoran serve that purpose much better, plus, in my opinion, have nicer aesthetics. I loved the rebuilt Matoran and aside from rebuilt Voya Matoran, they are my favorite. That being said, whenever this project gets finished you can COUNT on a VNOG II, but let's not jump too far ahead shall we? 

On an UPDATE note, 

I have some fish simulation set up, but it does slow down quite a bid. I am trying to implement LODs and texture Mipping to save on the Vram on the computer. The slowdown isn't drastic, so I'm not too concerned. It is quite amazing though how the addition of a few fish can cause such a big difference! I may also implement some culling to prevent meshes from loading at all when underwater at a much shorter distance. It's foolish to load the whole level when you can only see 1% of it :P I'll have a nice video up in the next few weeks showing some gameplay and I promise it will be playable. I know I said last Thursday but I hate the idea of putting out an unfinished game! I think small amounts of polish and fixing some bugs will do wonders for this and I am very excited to release the Pre-Alpha. 

• Upvote 3

This looks amazing! I love how you're taking some artistic liberty with this and not making and exact replica of the previous games. Currently Ga-Koro looks great, though I can see there's still progress to be made. It would be difficult and time-consuming but the huts would look a lot better if they were furnished, though that's a detail that could come later. Again, this is super cool and I can't believe how great it looks! Great job dude!

• Upvote 1

This looks amazing! I love how you're taking some artistic liberty with this and not making and exact replica of the previous games. Currently Ga-Koro looks great, though I can see there's still progress to be made. It would be difficult and time-consuming but the huts would look a lot better if they were furnished, though that's a detail that could come later. Again, this is super cool and I can't believe how great it looks! Great job dude!

Thanks, yeah considering I'm doing this on my own things are bound to take a while. I have everything in mind of details I want et cetera. The city will feel very alive and lived in once I am completely finished, but for now, it's slow going. I appreciate the kind words. 

This is amazing and looks like one of the most promising Bionicle projects I've seen so far, can't wait to test it out too, and explore the other villages as it all comes together. The only advice I have (and you probably know) is the huts look a bit barren inside, perhaps add some of the various items and clutter they featured in MNOG 1 and MNOG II.

Edited by Flex Till Death
  • Upvote 1

This is just incredible.

This looks so amazing from what I've seen so far, everything was instantly recognizable and yet looked new in the polished 3D models. The landscapes of Po-Koro are simply beautiful with those shaders! I always wanted to see a "remake" of some sorts of the game, but who would ever think a fan could create it?

You did a fantastic job here. I really hope this project will be finished!

How were you able to do all the modeling and texturing? Have you learned the use of those programs somewhere or have you just tried it on your own?

• Upvote 1

wnimDt6.jpg

EXztX3v.jpg

This is amazing and looks like one of the most promising Bionicle projects I've seen so far, can't wait to test it out too, and explore the other villages as it all comes together. The only advice I have (and you probably know) is the huts look a bit barren inside, perhaps add some of the various items and clutter they featured in MNOG 1 and MNOG II.

Hey thank you! You are one of many people to tell me the huts would be nicer furnished  :P Perhaps I should've done that before posting screenshots. I do have a plan and will decorate each hut individually depending on the character's tastes. For example, Nixie's hut will be filled with star charts and the like, Macku's hut filled with, erm, Hewkii merchandise, and the others. Also I can't forget the iconic lightfish lamps every hut has! Do not worry, this will have every detail you could want in it. 

This is just incredible.

This looks so amazing from what I've seen so far, everything was instantly recognizable and yet looked new in the polished 3D models. The landscapes of Po-Koro are simply beautiful with those shaders! I always wanted to see a "remake" of some sorts of the game, but who would ever think a fan could create it?

You did a fantastic job here. I really hope this project will be finished!

How were you able to do all the modeling and texturing? Have you learned the use of those programs somewhere or have you just tried it on your own?

Thank you for the kind words! I actually have a Bachelor's in Game Art and Animation so I am quite familiar with making 3d models and the whole video game pipeline. The programming is done in Java which I learned on my own, but I won't even brag about that because it's one of the most basic languages to learn and not necessarily the best choice. But I was trained in using programs like Maya, Zbrush, Photoshop, and many other programs for making the models. One thing people forget with 3D models is the object is not to try and replicate all the time. If I wanted to replicate the Bionicles, I would just download parts from LDD. Instead I want to make it as true to MNOG as possible and make my parts from scratch and styled to fit the art rather than the actual sets. 

My main motivation for this (besides portfolio and making people happy) is that Bionicle was really shafted, in my opinion, on the media spectrum. Their rendered commercials were great and the work Templar studios did was phenomenal. However, Bionicle has had nothing but terrible games and movies that maybe took too much artistic liberty. Perhaps Tales of the Tohunga was the only TRULY good Bionicle game and let's be honest...it had it's flaws. This inspires me to bring Bionicle to a new era of videogames that it never saw. The era of HD and high res textures. I'm hoping that when I'm finished, the game will fulfill that niche perfectly. 

Whoa, okay :D

You have everything that's needed then. I wouldn't have thought you already have a bachelor in this... but well, seeing the quality of this, I could've probably guessed so.

Is there any help you need on... easy tasks? I know that modelling and texturing isn't the only thing a game needs. I could provide help on writing or something similar in case you need it to get this project going even faster.

• Upvote 1

wnimDt6.jpg

EXztX3v.jpg

Right, awesome as this is, I hate to be the devils advocat but...

You're working on this yourself without a team, or at least I persume you don't have a team, so I'm not expecting its completion, or its success.

This is a really big project, and as such I'm expecting a big failure rate.

That said, I'm willing to hopefully lower that rate by offering myself as a modeller and animator.

I can remodel the Matoran, for instance, to look nicer/more movie-like (if you're intrested in that).

I can also animate the models I make.

I'm not much with terrain though, but I can do objects, weapons etc.

I'll be honest, I'm still learning textures, but I can effectively normalmap things.

-I was infected for the most part on April the 1st 7.gifBEWARE

• 2 weeks later...

I'm interested in your process of completing the villages as it seems like a daunting task. Do you usually make basic forms of multiple villages at a time and come back to add detail or do you try to perfect one village before going on to the next one?

The way I plan on doing this is one village at a time. Villages often reuse some assets so I can simply retexture them but I want to focus on one at a time to make sure it looks its best. Usually it's just a lot of time, patience, and attention to detail!

Besides reiterating that your stuff looks awesome (your stuff is looking GOOD), I wanted to ask - how faithful to the sets are you making character models? As in, will they be as close to being replicas of the sets as possible or will they be like the characters used in the movies?

Thank you everyone for the kind words! Unfortunately, I've been kind of busy lately but I do have a few other people helping me with this. I expect to get some more work done on this in the coming week. I've been mostly working on the underwater and trying to get it to feel right.

Besides reiterating that your stuff looks awesome (your stuff is looking GOOD), I wanted to ask - how faithful to the sets are you making character models? As in, will they be as close to being replicas of the sets as possible or will they be like the characters used in the movies?

The character models will more closely resemble MNOG which is pretty close to the sets, but still marginally different. I do not plan to redesign any sets to make them look like my own style. So expect basically what I'm advertising, a 3D Mnog!

This is so cool! Good luck to you!

• Upvote 1

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

I got rid of my picture, are you happy?

UPDATE!

Welcome Tattorack and Vorred to the staff of this project! They are currently working on some minor stuff for the project...which reminds me:

I am opening the project up a little bit more and inviting anyone with anything that may be helpful skills to step forward and be a part of this awesome project! Ga-Koro already has a lot done, but I can't do it all myself! What we need:

3D Modelers

Scripters (Javascript)

Writers

Sound/Music artists

Animators

If you are any of these things, either post in the thread or send me a PM! Thank you for helping this project grow to its full potential!

I only have minor visual updates so I won't post them yet. I've been mostly working on the scripts for getting swimming working so please hold your horses because it will be ready soon enough to show more! 

Edited by specsowl
  • Upvote 1

Isn't that coral or something? It looks great if it is.

No, its meant to be a Rahkshi.

Yes.... yes its coral XD

Its meant to bear the likeness of the bubbly, clustery coral that can be seen underwater when diving from the hut to collect cowrey shells and seaweed.

Hello there! I am glad to say we have a few new staff members!

Proconix for writing, doodleloot for modeling, and JDJackson for graphics, UI, and promotional

There are a few others pending and I still have a few more PMs to send out. 

Some more good news is the following:

Twitter being set up soon for Project MNOG

Banners to show support soon

Public Google Hangout where we I plan to work live in case you're interested (updated via the twitter)

Underwater receiving more assets and reaching a point where swimming works!

But what does all of this mean?

On October 6th, all of this will go live with a PRE Alpha available to download. The PRE Alpha will have swimming functions, basic and temporary character dialog, and a few minor interactions. Your job will be to find anything that feels weird, acts wonky, or just doesn't seem right to you and report it to me! All art assets are temporary as well as animations. The game lacks polish, so don't expect it to be amazing! But I hope you will still find enjoyment in it. I will TRY to do one PRE Alpha release a month with new features and polish to Ga-Koro. Once Ga-Koro is 100% completed, we will move on to other villages, but they will go up much faster with our larger asset library, better reusable scripts, and our modular building system. 

Stay interested and I hope to tantalize your wants soon!

Edited by specsowl

Strong-heart welcome to the quick-fly newcomers!

Well, I suppose this will give me a reason to make a Twitter account (currently only have Facebook besides Google+, and that only because I have a G-Mail account XD ).

So you're intending to do a "nightly builds" sort of thing?

Better make sure that the alpha downloads are easily updatable then (so you don't have to completely uninstall the previous alpha to use the next one).

With Bionicle coming back and being part of this project my tantalize level is flying through the roof! XD

• Upvote 1