Project MNOG 3D

specsowl

You fell into the water too...

Not from running and gunning thats one thing for sure XD

I'm not gunning anything. I don't know where you get that from. I don't even play those games most of the time - the last one was HF IFB, and that's because it was Lego. Certainly not my first choice in gaming. 

Haha ok we can drop that. There's an issue that needs to be fixed, and I will. As the great Miyamoto once said many times in every Nintendo Direct "Please Understand".

I'm trying to think of a Miyamoto-owl pun....

• Upvote 3

:a: :r: :z: :a: :k: :i:

I got Monster Hunter World on PS4, add me at bmrjw2 if you want

Also I play FFXIV, my main is Anastasia Willow on Exodus but I've got characters on every NA datacenter.

Is there going to be like a quest thing, like the Crystals from MNOG 2 ? Also there are going to be any method of transportation ? Walking and seeing stuff is cool, but one of the biggest problems with MNOG 2 was travelling to places on foot. Hahli was really slow.

Btw I assume you guys are already developing a MNOG 4 that takes places in Metru Nui ?

• Upvote 4

Is there going to be like a quest thing, like the Crystals from MNOG 2 ? Also there are going to be any method of transportation ? Walking and seeing stuff is cool, but one of the biggest problems with MNOG 2 was travelling to places on foot. Hahli was really slow.

Btw I assume you guys are already developing a MNOG 4 that takes places in Metru Nui ?

If you noticed, there's an Ussalry and a Gukkory, on top of that, boats. Those will be your modes of transportation in-game. ;)

Metru Nui? Isn't that going a little quick right now? ^^;

We aren't even halfway this one

-I was infected for the most part on April the 1st 7.gifBEWARE

There are quests. They will involve mostly characters though rather than temples. Side quests like doing things for people, and the main quest which is story driven, and the game ends whenever you finish it. Every area is more or less accessible after Takanuva arrives in Ga-Koro at this point. It is decided internally that Ta-Koro is the final "village" you will visit. Air quotes. did you see that? I said "village". Take that as you will. 

But, other than visuals/map layout there are very few relations to MNOG 2. MNOG 2 was slow, annoying, and not immersive. Also , several posts above I mentioned about transportation. You will be able to ride Kewas and boats for fast travel and Ussals as mounts. 

Edit: Oh, I see tattorack covered it already. Also, there are no plans to make Metru-Nui. We want to fully devote our time to making this game. If it were up to me...I'd make the next installment of the story which would be Voya-Nui. However, don't get excited about that. I mean, it is up to me, but just right now it's MNOG 3D. 

Edit #2: Haha a Karzahni matoran creator would be a fun game. Like zoo tycoon but with messed up broken matoran. Just speculation, feel free to make that if you want. 

Edited by specsowl
  • Upvote 1

There are quests. They will involve mostly characters though rather than temples. Side quests like doing things for people, and the main quest which is story driven, and the game ends whenever you finish it. Every area is more or less accessible after Takanuva arrives in Ga-Koro at this point. It is decided internally that Ta-Koro is the final "village" you will visit. Air quotes. did you see that? I said "village". Take that as you will. 

But, other than visuals/map layout there are very few relations to MNOG 2. MNOG 2 was slow, annoying, and not immersive. Also , several posts above I mentioned about transportation. You will be able to ride Kewas and boats for fast travel and Ussals as mounts. 

Edit: Oh, I see tattorack covered it already. Also, there are no plans to make Metru-Nui. We want to fully devote our time to making this game. If it were up to me...I'd make the next installment of the story which would be Voya-Nui. However, don't get excited about that. I mean, it is up to me, but just right now it's MNOG 3D. 

Edit #2: Haha a Karzahni matoran creator would be a fun game. Like zoo tycoon but with messed up broken matoran. Just speculation, feel free to make that if you want. 

If you made VNOG 3D, my life would be complete.

• Upvote 2

:a: :r: :z: :a: :k: :i:

I got Monster Hunter World on PS4, add me at bmrjw2 if you want

Also I play FFXIV, my main is Anastasia Willow on Exodus but I've got characters on every NA datacenter.

When I asked Nixie about the Red Star:

"...Could other Matoran live up there...? Wait, no. That's ridiculous"

If she only knew... ;)   :P  (Liking the various hidden jokes so far... can't wait for Kapura to show up somewhere. ;)  :D  :P )

• Upvote 1

The artist formerly known as

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

BBC#69 Entry: Roodaka - Master of Manipulation

BFTGM entries: Zigben · Ventox · Deflecto

Hail Denmark.

So this is looking marvelous so far. Simply fantastic as far as an early WIP goes. I tested it on Fantastic, screen res: 1366x768(my monitor resolution) and it seemed to work fairly well, some slight lagging, mostly while falling or being in the water, but otherwise pretty good.

Just a few things I noticed as I was playing through earlier:

• Hahli's Kaukau is mostly invisible from behind.
  • Jumping on a moving lift/elevator/thing causes you to fall through the elevator, landing in the water
  • Water movement seems, off. Trying to swim up can result in your character hitting what seems to be an invisible barrier at seemingly random spots in the water, making movement(not to mention the act of getting out of the water) difficult and potentially frustrating(though now that I think on it, it may somehow be due to lag... may investigate further)
  • Some of the lily-pads seem to be floating on top of each other, no really laying on top of each other

Of course, all these things are to be expected with a first release, so no real worries and I will let you program at your own pace. 'Cause this is your game and you certainly do seem to know what you're doing.

Also, I love how the Ussal crabs and the fish look, and the dialogue with Hahli and Jaller made my evening. The fact that there are several things set up that look like they will become the start of several quests has me practically shaking with anticipation.

Long story short, some minor issues so far, but overall it looks like a very solid start!

• Upvote 1

mnog3d_banner.jpg

biofight042_banner_plasmarun.png

-END OF LINE-

So, if you still need any writers, I'm still up for the task. I have knowledge of many literary techniques and devices, and I also think I'm pretty well-versed in coming up with interesting dialogue. I am still a writer in training though. I have a lot to learn. I also have vast knowledge of the Bionicle universe like many others on this site, having been along since 2001 :) So, if you still need any help, just ask!

Just a geeky guy trying to learn the craft of writing stories.

So this is looking marvelous so far. Simply fantastic as far as an early WIP goes. I tested it on Fantastic, screen res: 1366x768(my monitor resolution) and it seemed to work fairly well, some slight lagging, mostly while falling or being in the water, but otherwise pretty good.

• Jumping on a moving lift/elevator/thing causes you to fall through the elevator, landing in the water
  • Water movement seems, off. Trying to swim up can result in your character hitting what seems to be an invisible barrier at seemingly random spots in the water, making movement(not to mention the act of getting out of the water) difficult and potentially frustrating(though now that I think on it, it may somehow be due to lag... may investigate further)
  • Some of the lily-pads seem to be floating on top of each other, no really laying on top of each other

Of course, all these things are to be expected with a first release, so no real worries and I will let you program at your own pace. 'Cause this is your game and you certainly do seem to know what you're doing.

Also, I love how the Ussal crabs and the fish look, and the dialogue with Hahli and Jaller made my evening. The fact that there are several things set up that look like they will become the start of several quests has me practically shaking with anticipation.

Long story short, some minor issues so far, but overall it looks like a very solid start!

1- Yes, the Kaukau is invisible from the back because it has no backface shading. Some other things in the game still require that too (ie: the roof of the Kolhii field gate).

2- I have that too. It has nothing to do with hitting up on something. I have lag too when playing the game and have the exact same problem. Its simply caused by lag. Hopefully that will change once we get some LODS set up. Also, Specs is looking into generally improving swimming.

3- Even I didn't notice that XD

• Upvote 1

Wow, overwhelming amount of responses to wake up to!

Wow. This is amazing! Two questions:

1. How do you get up to Nokama?

2. Did anyone else notice Jaller and Hahli?

1. You can't yet. But...you will.

2. :)

When I asked Nixie about the Red Star:

"...Could other Matoran live up there...? Wait, no. That's ridiculous"

If she only knew... ;)   :P  (Liking the various hidden jokes so far... can't wait for Kapura to show up somewhere. ;)  :D  :P )

Surprisingly enough, that red star bit will be a major plot point. Well, major-ish. But since when ISNT the red star a plot point? Also, heh, Kapura. There's a quest involving him by the way. Look forward to that.

So, if you still need any writers, I'm still up for the task. I have knowledge of many literary techniques and devices, and I also think I'm pretty well-versed in coming up with interesting dialogue. I am still a writer in training though. I have a lot to learn. I also have vast knowledge of the Bionicle universe like many others on this site, having been along since 2001 :) So, if you still need any help, just ask!

I'll PM you

Wow! seriously, Thank you so much for making this game! I've been following the Bionicle story growing up, reading the books and the comics in the past and I'm so happy to see a MNOLG 2 sequel made in a 3D! Thank you specsowl!

You're welcome! I'm glad you enjoy it

• Upvote 3

Well, here's that preview video.

Enjoy~

Awesome vid, thank you! I must say, I am pleased at the appreciation of the little things we put in there. Pokes at the Red Star, the Master reference, and several others. The game will be filled with these. 

The reason being that we have a clearly defined purpose(s) that we want out of this game and that is to bridge the gap between old and new fans. Old fans laugh and get it. New fans wont get it, but will instead treat it like the original MNOG as an informative adventure. It's one of those best of both worlds scenarios. 

In every village you will see stray Matoran. There is a very simple reason and that is the amalgamation of the island after their struggles. With so many villages in disrepair and everyone having fought together, it only makes sense to have Matoran in alien places. A conflict WILL arise from this that you, as our silent protagonist, must solve. The island is now rich with a thriving mixed culture, two sides of the same coin colliding, and that can only be an allusion to something...right? 

• Upvote 2

You stay on the elevators if you stand in or near the exact center, and LOOK DOWN. That worked for me many times

Edited by Dallior08
  • Upvote 3

"Remember when the comics forum had a lot of good stuff? Let's make that a thing again." -Kazi the Matoran

So far, so good. There is a bit of concern on the joystick controls, however. While I had decent time with the keyboard controls (first time I've ever used it for gaming, to be honest), I have had a bit of trouble with configuring the controllers for my Xbox 360 controller. Specifically, the horizontal and vertical movement. I've been having trouble assigning them to the control/analog sticks, and they're kinda... wonky. I had no problem with configuring the jump and fire buttons, but the movement is the real problem. I'm not sure if it's because of the type of controller I have, or if it's something in the program, or if it's just me being stupid.  :???: 

Part of me also wants to note the lack of camera control and a sprint button (which turned out to be "Shift" for the keyboard) for controller too, but I'm pretty those would be difficult to implement into the system, so I'll ignore that for now. Overall, for my first time using the keyboard, I haven't had much trouble surprisingly. Hopefully, other controller-users won't have a hard time adapting to the keyboard. Still, I suppose part of me is a tad-bit nervous on using it in combat. O_o

PS: I know it might be a bit too late to say this, but if you need any (story) writers, I might be able to join the bandwagon. I'm a bit more knowledgeable about the Matoran Universe than Mata Nui, but I have the BIONICLE Chronicle books, reprints of the Mata Nui-ear comics, and ye olde internet.

• Upvote 1

So far, so good. There is a bit of concern on the joystick controls, however. While I had decent time with the keyboard controls (first time I've ever used it for gaming, to be honest), I have had a bit of trouble with configuring the controllers for my Xbox 360 controller. Specifically, the horizontal and vertical movement. I've been having trouble assigning them to the control/analog sticks, and they're kinda... wonky. I had no problem with configuring the jump and fire buttons, but the movement is the real problem. I'm not sure if it's because of the type of controller I have, or if it's something in the program, or if it's just me being stupid.  :???:

Part of me also wants to note the lack of camera control and a sprint button (which turned out to be "Shift" for the keyboard) for controller too, but I'm pretty those would be difficult to implement into the system, so I'll ignore that for now. Overall, for my first time using the keyboard, I haven't had much trouble surprisingly. Hopefully, other controller-users won't have a hard time adapting to the keyboard. Still, I suppose part of me is a tad-bit nervous on using it in combat. O_o

PS: I know it might be a bit too late to say this, but if you need any (story) writers, I might be able to join the bandwagon. I'm a bit more knowledgeable about the Matoran Universe than Mata Nui, but I have the BIONICLE Chronicle books, reprints of the Mata Nui-ear comics, and ye olde internet.

Technically the game isn't made with controllers in mind.

I don't believe any of us developing the game actually have computer attachable controllers.

• Upvote 1

Just an update, for anyone with problems on getting it to work on their WINDOWS computer, I added a new download link:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9317654/MNOG3D_PreAlpha_WIN.zip

This has both the 32 bit and 64 bit versions. 

Linux has no solution yet. 

Mac should still be running properly

THANK YOU

It finally works. You have a place on my hall of fame. LOL

• Upvote 1

Technically the game isn't made with controllers in mind.

I don't believe any of us developing the game actually have computer attachable controllers.

Oh. For some reason, the game gave me the option of using joystick controls. I just went along and tried it out. Keyboard controls seem to work, considering that they're simple (as pointed out by NickonAquaMagna). Overall, I'd say the default controls are alright. I'll just have to just myself to them. :P

• Upvote 2

Oh. For some reason, the game gave me the option of using joystick controls. I just went along and tried it out. Keyboard controls seem to work, considering that they're simple (as pointed out by NickonAquaMagna). Overall, I'd say the default controls are alright. I'll just have to just myself to them. :P

Yeah, thats default Unity.

If I'm correct, Unity has by default the ability to change settings pre-game, like the resolution and such.

Choosing joystick/controller option also belongs to that, but that doesn't mean the game was made with those in mind.

Glad you're liking it so far :D

• Upvote 1

Figured it out:  it was because I didn't give the game permissions to run; my system makes sure I won't run any unknown, conspicuous files unless I edit their properties.  But it works, and I'll try to get some critique up later.  But, is there any way I could possibly get more involved in the development?

• Upvote 3

Visit www.BZPRPG.com to view my project of archiving BZPower's RPGs, and also access the BZPower Roleplaying Wiki

BZPRPG Profiles - Ghosts Of Bara Magna Profiles

Exo-Force RPG Profiles - Six Kingdoms: Apocalypse (Knichou, Berys, Arnex, The Taku, Exuze)

Figured it out:  it was because I didn't give the game permissions to run; my system makes sure I won't run any unknown, conspicuous files unless I edit their properties.  But it works, and I'll try to get some critique up later.  But, is there any way I could possibly get more involved in the development?

Great you solved it ^^

yeah, its mostly those little things lurking in corners that sometimes get you stomped.

As for involvement, do you happen to know anything about scripting in Java?

We could really need help with that because so far Specs is the only one doing all the Java Script XD

Great you solved it ^^

yeah, its mostly those little things lurking in corners that sometimes get you stomped.

We could really need help with that because so far Specs is the only one doing all the Java Script XD

Unfortunately, no, but I do feel I might be able to help somewhat on suggesting what you should do next :P

I might be able to do some basic textures, but idk (At the moment anything would be better than the ones you are using right now, though (No offense)).  I just want to see this reach it's fullest potential (I've been around here a long time, and this has been one of the few promising/working 3d prototypes, maybe even the only public one since the forum crash), and help you further flesh out gameplay concepts.  I feel that I could adapt myself to be useful in your development team, although I have no experience currently.  That's why I want to build some.

Edited by BULiK

Visit www.BZPRPG.com to view my project of archiving BZPower's RPGs, and also access the BZPower Roleplaying Wiki

Exo-Force RPG Profiles - Six Kingdoms: Apocalypse (Knichou, Berys, Arnex, The Taku, Exuze)

Great you solved it ^^

Unfortunately, no, but I do feel I might be able to help somewhat on suggesting what you should do next :P

I might be able to do some basic textures, but idk (At the moment anything would be better than the ones you are using right now, though (No offense)).  I just want to see this reach it's fullest potential (I've been around here a long time, and this has been one of the few promising/working 3d prototypes, maybe even the only public one since the forum crash), and help you further flesh out gameplay concepts.  I feel that I could adapt myself to be useful in your development team, although I have no experience currently.  That's why I want to build some.

Well, I appreciate your desire to work on this game, however, lack of experience is not something we are looking for. 

This is not necessarily for you, or any one in particular but to anyone in general who would like to work on this game. We have the entire game planned. Start to finish. We know what village to do when and what goes in it. Every feature we have planned, though through development, as making games go, will probably change slightly. 

Granted, this is a fan project, it is also not a "lets randomly make a game and drop it half way" project. At least, it's not turning out to be. Your suggestions in PMs, the threads, and even through email are greatly appreciated, as long as you don't assume we have no idea what we are doing.

Yes there are bugs. Yes the textures are unfinished. Yes some houses are empty. Yes there are some low poly assets. And yes, this is a PRE Alpha. We are all internally aware of the issues and work daily to rectify them to the best of our abilities. As I have mentioned before, this pre-alpha was more of an internal test to see if we got the core mechanics of the game correct, which we did. The emotion and nostalgia experienced from the game thus far was astronomical, and I must say, we are very satisfied this was successful. You should take the game as we have shown it, which is to say, not even into Beta phase yet.

I appreciate your support and hope you continue to support MNOG 3D! Please, have faith in the project and watch as the world grows and develops over time.  

• Upvote 1

Ah, k.  It was an fat chance anyways.  I guess I really don't wanna see this die, more than anything.  And yes, I know it's in pre-alpha, but I can still make suggestions as to what would make it more immersive and such.

• Upvote 2

Suggestions would be great! We already have taken suggestions for improving water functionality as well as fun easter eggs. A lot of the game's ideas are backpacking off of several things people liked in OTHER Bionicle games as well. We are also avoiding the, erm, not so fun things like a lot of MNOG II and repetitive games like Bionicle Heroes. For many years we have been active Bionicle fans, so we love what you love (essentially). If you have any quest ideas, neat mechanics that would fit the world, by all means PM me at any time!

Edited by specsowl
  • Upvote 2

Ah, k.  It was an fat chance anyways.  I guess I really don't wanna see this die, more than anything.  And yes, I know it's in pre-alpha, but I can still make suggestions as to what would make it more immersive and such.

It's support from guys like you who confirm that we're doing something right! The team is overcome with all the great feedback, and it's only PRE-ALPHA! 

Keep on spreading the word (banners help!) and for those of you who made gameplay vids, WE LOVE EM! I'm doing a bit of promo work, but other than, we don't really have ppl to help inform ppl about this project. Except for you guys! So in a way, you can help us out even if you're not part of the core dev team.

Thanks again guys. Now I have a inventory system to design....

JD

• Upvote 2

mnog3d_banner.jpg

"A fully explorable 3D version of the original island of Mata Nui is being developed. Copy this signature to support the project!"

Simply AMAZING work!! I'll be honest, before I saw any pictures I figured this would be a super-poor quality attempt at a game to say "Hey guys! Get excited for Bionicle!" Boy was I wrong!

This is Version 0.1? Because that could be a final version in itself as far as the in-game graphics and objects go! Truly fantastic, blew me away!

• Upvote 5

"Kai... Nireta... the other six Kakama-wearers... yep, Ga-Koro's all here!"

ga-koro.thumb.JPG.c6b34593c87ad060d441b9de302f3dd0.JPG

Inventory system sounds like a great idea, I can't wait to see how it will work!

Now just one question, will you be able to grab the various items in the villager's houses? Like Hahli's kohlii stick? And if so, will doing so eventually have some impact on their actions/dialogue/some other third thing?

Edited by The Undertaken
  • Upvote 4

mnog3d_banner.jpg

biofight042_banner_plasmarun.png

-END OF LINE-

Inventory system sounds like a great idea, I can't wait to see how it will work!

Now just one question, will you be able to grab the various items in the villager's houses? Like Hahli's kohlii stick? And if so, will doing so eventually have some impact on their actions/dialogue/some other third thing?

Well, I wasn't planning on having you able to steal from Matoran. You're sort of a forced aligned good, so to speak. 

Games like Skyrim, though they are good, have some immersion breaking things like stealing items by putting buckets on the NPCs heads...etc. You wouldn't be able to sell them, nor own more than a single Kolhii staff, so taking other Matoran's items would be intentionally mean spirited. It'll be considered if not abused. :D

• Upvote 2

Well, I wasn't planning on having you able to steal from Matoran. You're sort of a forced aligned good, so to speak.

Wait, so you aren't supposed to rob Ga-Koro blind? 

I might need to make myself some new plans...

(In all seriousness, I see getting more interactivity in there as the main stepping stone to having something I'd play more often (I know it's early in dev, I haven't been trying to be condescending);  getting the inventory system in a public demo would really step this up a notch.  While we are on that topic, I would suggest, instead of the bland MNOLG style inventory (or dare I mention the MNOLG II one) you should use a box-based one similar to Deus Ex and Sir, you are being hunted, because I personally enjoy that management you have to make with your inventory, instead of a Mary-Poppin's bag )

Edited by BULiK
  • Upvote 4

Wait, so you aren't supposed to rob Ga-Koro blind? 

I might need to make myself some new plans...

(In all seriousness, I see getting more interactivity in there as the main stepping stone to having something I'd play more often (I know it's early in dev, I haven't been trying to be condescending);  getting the inventory system in a public demo would really step this up a notch.  While we are on that topic, I would suggest, instead of the bland MNOLG style inventory (or dare I mention the MNOLG II one) you should use a box-based one similar to Deus Ex and Sir, you are being hunted, because I personally enjoy that management you have to make with your inventory, instead of a Mary-Poppin's bag )

Don't the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series and Resident Evil 4 also have that kinda system? XD Either way, that does sound like an interesting idea. If that don't work, maybe yawl can add a sort of "carrying weight" system. Items have their own weight and you can only carry so many pounds. Or maybe a mix of both. XD Hmm, might need an external storage place (Like say a chest in a hut) to store yur prized loot. :/

Edited by Ahpolki0513
  • Upvote 2