Project MNOG 3D

specsowl

But I do agree that having higher poly versions would be good, and if people are having low framerates, then they can just lower the settings or resolution.  I don't see the need for cutting out a more "HD" (for lack of a better word) model if people could simply lower their settings.  Except for the manpower that would be needed, of course.

Generally polygons is what makes something lag.

For instance, I could play something with pretty high texture settings, but load a complex model with many vertexes and stuff starts slowing down.

It isn't just lowering the setting that would help with that.

Good texturing can make even the lowest poly games look really good.

Look at games like Bastion; everything there is extremely low poly, but still looks great.

And we're still working on the "looking good" part :P

Geez, it would be nice if everyone would stop being so offensive towards me in this thread.

Yeah, more polygons = more stuff for gpu to render = lower performance = lower framerate.

no $#!%

What I was saying was that I'm pretty sure it's a thing to have lower quality models along with higher quality models, and for the game to use either model according to the graphics settings of the client.  This would probably be even easier due to many Unity games having the options in the launcher before the game starts.  I've been on the receiving end of both of those situations at one point or another, for often the same games, so I know it's a thing.

And for (whatever deity you believe in)'s sakes, I know it's in pre-alpha.  I'm not denying that textures are a major factor in the overall aesthetic of a game.  What I'm saying is that it's options that can really differentiate a PC game (other than controls) from others.  Some of us can't handle the higher options.  Well then those people can go to lower options, because we all have options.  Some of us would prefer resolution over the detail, others the opposite.  Some prefer both.  I never said to scrap all the work you've done so far;  all I was saying was that at some point, it would be good to get some other models in there for those who have the PC to handle it, and make using them an option for the user based on his/her personal preferences.

I agree with the points enumerated by BULiK, though there are ways to say it without sounding as rude. I understand that this is pre-alpha and therefore nowhere near complete, but implementing variable detail settings in the future wouldn't be an unwise decision. Of course, that doesn't mean do so right now as I'm sure you guys have a lot on your plate. :P I'm saying that it would be a good investment later on.

bBhcfWO.png

I think what we have here is a very simple problem of somebody wants something that isn't in a pre alpha, and feels that we are open to suggestion and are asking for help on what to do. This is not the case. We are not open to suggestion to the functionality of the game. We have a team of 10 people working diligently on this to improve the experience. We understand what needs to be fixed. What I suspect is no one else seems to understand that WE understand. We are not trying to be offensive, or even say you are wrong. What we are trying to explain, ever so politely, is that we already know. But I can only give so many vague responses before I can outright say we get it, and the subject can be dropped. 

Everyone who played the pre-alpha gave lots of constructive criticism on the functionality of the game. In fact, all of the issues with the swimming have been resolved because of our feedback. Though I hate to say it, complaining about the graphics is counter productive and in fact, offering suggestions on making something so obvious as LODs is redundant. Patience is a virtue and I hope you understand that these things to take time. In closing, to reiterate, the graphical issues involving textures, polycount, and as a result the lag in the GPU are something we are working on fixing. Have patience and we will continue to make weekly updates on our progress. 

Addendum:

I do not mean to be harsh, but I feel this is the only way to resolve this issue considering that the only thing being accomplished is beating a dead horse, so to speak

Edited by specsowl
  • Upvote 4

UPDATE!

Hey there everyone! It's about time for an update! The team (now 10 people) have started working again on MNOG 3D! Right now we are working on the following:

We also have some new team members. Shadow Destroyer and cdrch! Welcome to the team guys!

I will lighten the mood and say thanks for having me! (This is really delayed, considering I missed that post when it went up. :P )

But yeah, I think some people are having confusion over what a "pre-alpha" is. It's a work in progress. The final version will be miles better!

Edited by Shadow Destroyer
  • Upvote 3

shadow_destroyer_banner.jpg
Thank you to the Dark Beings Banner and Avatar Shop for the banner! Brickshelf Gallery  BZPRPG Profiles 

I honestly saw nothing really wrong with the pre-alpha release, aside from that weird glitch with the boat's collision detection. I found the elevators to be a rather nice touch and they worked surprisingly well. I will say that I am looking forward to future updates, but what has been released so far is most impressive.

• Upvote 2

bBhcfWO.png

Thanks! The elevators actually did have a similar issue with the boats which our programmer is working on. The issue is that since the collision detection on the elevator/boat is so close to the player characters collision boxes, so whenever they animate the player can actually clip through the collision and fall through because it cant compensate fast enough, despite being parented. The newest solution is getting the players transforms to follow the animation offset exactly without parenting. That way, regardless of the animation, the player will be able to match what is going on. This also prevents the game from having to alter the hierarchy. 

I think what we have here is a very simple problem of somebody wants something that isn't in a pre alpha, and feels that we are open to suggestion and are asking for help on what to do. This is not the case. We are not open to suggestion to the functionality of the game. We have a team of 10 people working diligently on this to improve the experience. We understand what needs to be fixed. What I suspect is no one else seems to understand that WE understand. We are not trying to be offensive, or even say you are wrong. What we are trying to explain, ever so politely, is that we already know. But I can only give so many vague responses before I can outright say we get it, and the subject can be dropped. 

Everyone who played the pre-alpha gave lots of constructive criticism on the functionality of the game. In fact, all of the issues with the swimming have been resolved because of our feedback. Though I hate to say it, complaining about the graphics is counter productive and in fact, offering suggestions on making something so obvious as LODs is redundant. Patience is a virtue and I hope you understand that these things to take time. In closing, to reiterate, the graphical issues involving textures, polycount, and as a result the lag in the GPU are something we are working on fixing. Have patience and we will continue to make weekly updates on our progress. 

Addendum:

I do not mean to be harsh, but I feel this is the only way to resolve this issue considering that the only thing being accomplished is beating a dead horse, so to speak

Hey I understand that you're working on this, etc. but it really $#%@es me off when a certain someone says

Generally polygons is what makes something lag.

Like I'm a 3-year-old.

And as I said, I was never expecting this to become the sudden "holy grail of PC graphics", I know it's in extremely early development.  I was only adding to the suggestions/critique of another user before me.  TBH the low poly masks didn't stand out at me when I played, but I did see it as a concern for future versions, if you were to stick to that same model.  You could have easily said that such graphical improvements would be implemented later on in the development cycle, and I would be fine with that.  All I wanted was to make sure you were aware that improvements could be made on that front, and to support the original poster of that concern.

Again, if you have come out with a statement that explained that these concerns were noted, and might be addressed later, I would be fine.  But instead, I was treated rather rudely by one of your team members, and that has set the tone for this whole crazed mess that has occurred in the past day.  I would very much like to get this over with, because quite frankly I've had enough of this "argument" at this point.

Also, you seriously do need to work on your tone when you address issues; "I think what we have here is a very simple problem of somebody wants something..." is not the best way to carry out a polite conversation, JSYK.  A lot of the tone of your team's recent posts was poorly worded.

Visit www.BZPRPG.com to view my project of archiving BZPower's RPGs, and also access the BZPower Roleplaying Wiki

BZPRPG Profiles - Ghosts Of Bara Magna Profiles

Exo-Force RPG Profiles - Six Kingdoms: Apocalypse (Knichou, Berys, Arnex, The Taku, Exuze)

I have sent you a PM addressing the issue. For future, any personal issues concerning how you are being treated should be PM'd as not to crowd the thread. Also, perhaps changing a few things as you are on a child friendly board since asterisks and ampersands are perhaps not enough of a euphemism for swearing at the team. 

• Upvote 2

Thanks! The elevators actually did have a similar issue with the boats which our programmer is working on. The issue is that since the collision detection on the elevator/boat is so close to the player characters collision boxes, so whenever they animate the player can actually clip through the collision and fall through because it cant compensate fast enough, despite being parented. The newest solution is getting the players transforms to follow the animation offset exactly without parenting. That way, regardless of the animation, the player will be able to match what is going on. This also prevents the game from having to alter the hierarchy. 

Neat!

I have very little idea of what some of that means, but what I did understand I sort of suspected :)

Glad to see that is fixed either way, keep up the good work and all that!

• Upvote 2

mnog3d_banner.jpg

biofight042_banner_plasmarun.png

-END OF LINE-

Haha they are magic ruki! Nah they have a bug that despite the fact they have colliders, they don't recognize any collision but the player and other fish.

Lore question...are they Ruki? If so then are there two Ruki. That's the only thing I'm unclear on haha.

Also do the boxes really say Le Koro Vood?

• Upvote 2

Haha they are magic ruki! Nah they have a bug that despite the fact they have colliders, they don't recognize any collision but the player and other fish.

Lore question...are they Ruki? If so then are there two Ruki. That's the only thing I'm unclear on haha.

Did some looking around.

Same fish, only two versions of them in Lego parts.

Take Takua's ussal crab, Pewku, or Puku, for instance.

In MNOG and the BOA he was the standard ussal design, but then in 2003 he was a titan set and looked rather different.

• Upvote 2

-I was infected for the most part on April the 1st 7.gifBEWARE

UPDATE!

Hey there everyone! It's about time for an update! The team (now 10 people) have started working again on MNOG 3D! Right now we are working on the following:

We also have some new team members. Shadow Destroyer and cdrch! Welcome to the team guys!

I will lighten the mood and say thanks for having me! (This is really delayed, considering I missed that post when it went up. :P )

But yeah, I think some people are having confusion over what a "pre-alpha" is. It's a work in progress. The final version will be miles better!

And here I am, even more delayed.  :P Thanks for having me on the team, specsowl.

Hi, everybody! I'm cdrch, the team's new programmer. I'm over here in the corner, adding features and removing bugs for the next update, and generally hammering away at the game.  :gavel: The elevator and boat issue, and as many issues leading to unintentional swims as possible, will be a focus of mine leading up to the next released update. Let us know if you catch any bugs that have not yet been reported!

- :c: :m_d: :r: :c: :h:

• Upvote 1
Beginning to dive into BZP again.

This time as more of a contributor than a lurker.

whats the boat issue, can you even go on the boat? I thought the dude said it was broken and he can't take you anywhere.

Seems like people are being kinda picky to me, to me its amazing a game like this of this level and detail could be made by these guys, I found it really fun and can't wait for more.

Edited by Flex Likes Groot
  • Upvote 2

And here I am, even more delayed.  :P Thanks for having me on the team, specsowl.

Hi, everybody! I'm cdrch, the team's new programmer. I'm over here in the corner, adding features and removing bugs for the next update, and generally hammering away at the game.  :gavel: The elevator and boat issue, and as many issues leading to unintentional swims as possible, will be a focus of mine leading up to the next released update. Let us know if you catch any bugs that have not yet been reported!

I like that smiley you used cdrch, you look so happy to be working. ^_^

But anyway. I just thought I'd say that I'll be working on sound effects and various audio for this project! If you have a specific request for anything pertaining to that, please leave it in this topic, and I'm sure someone on the team will see it!

Thank you to the Dark Beings Banner and Avatar Shop for the banner! Brickshelf Gallery  BZPRPG Profiles 

Yeah, although those boxes are hard to read anyway. Actually... Why put wood in a box? Even if it's already sawn into boards, all you'd have to do is tie them together in a bundle.

( The bunny slippers hiss and slither into the shadows. ) -Takuaka: Toa of Time

What if the Toa you know best were not destined to be? Interchange: The epic begins

Yeah, although those boxes are hard to read anyway. Actually... Why put wood in a box? Even if it's already sawn into boards, all you'd have to do is tie them together in a bundle.

Misspelling aside, you can notice there's parchment on another side that reads something about the shipment being to Po-Koro. The idea was that the wood for the crates was provided by Le-Koronans considering thats where most of the trees are. It's safe to assume that all crates are provided by helpful Nuhvok in moderation by supervision of the Le-Koro Gukkory. 

Have I mentioned they still use krana-less Bohrok on Mata-Nui? Yes, that'll be a thing. 

• Upvote 1

Flex Likes Groot - Yeah, I'm confused about that too. :confused: I thought that boat was nawt fully functional.

"Excuse me, mod? (says in polite, mannered tone) Could someone kindly explain this minor confusion? *light chuckling*"

"Remember when the comics forum had a lot of good stuff? Let's make that a thing again." -Kazi the Matoran

Flex Likes Groot - Yeah, I'm confused about that too. :confused: I thought that boat was nawt fully functional.

"Excuse me, mod? (says in polite, mannered tone) Could someone kindly explain this minor confusion? *light chuckling*"

To my understanding of it, you could stand in the boat but you couldn't use the boat. If you stood in the boat though, you fell through the boat.

Sort of like the fix with the elevators, I think they found the issue and will be implementing it in the next test-patch

Falling through the boat or the elevator is caused by clipping of the physics detection.

Namely the box that always surrounds the character and its surroundings.

Normally, an object doing an animation like the rocking of the boat, isn't what calculates physics at the same time.

The object doing the animation is usually a no-collision object parented to a static none moving physics object.

In this case it isn't so.

The boat rocks left and right. The character's physics bounds are the bounds of the box, but ultimately it refers to the object "centre" point for its orientation physics, making it stay straight up no matter what. While the centre point rests on the physics bounds of the boat the corner or edge of the rest of the box clips through the boat, making the character fall through it.

This is the same with the elevator, but that is a little harder to fix, because the character is supposed to be moving.

Though I heard our new scripter already solved the problem... or at least is well on its way solving it.

Just letting everyone know that I'm almost done with that community spotlight video I mentioned I would do. I plan on posting it in this topic once it's done. (I think a lot of people will feel nostalgic when they hear the music I used in the trailer!) Anyway, that should be up before this weekend is over!

• Upvote 3

Just letting everyone know that I'm almost done with that community spotlight video I mentioned I would do. I plan on posting it in this topic once it's done. (I think a lot of people will feel nostalgic when they hear the music I used in the trailer!) Anyway, that should be up before this weekend is over!

Good to know!

Can't wait to see that spotlight!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVkKX9MQnew

I finally got that community spotlight done! Hopefully it will help spread this project around the community a little more! Thanks for being patient everyone, it seems like it's always the really short videos that take the longest to make for some reason... 

• Upvote 2

when will the game be finished? 2015,2016?

I do not believe we are working with a set finish date.

I could pick a wild guess, but I wont because from what I've seen in other game dev's and mods, as soon a developer guesses when the mod/game will be finished, and it so happens that it isn't, pressure will form from expectation.

Its nothing personal, just it would give us more room if we don't give an estimate. I hope everyone can understand :P

Can you bring the progress chart back? I really liked being able to check that :P

The progress sheet was replaced in favour of weekly progress updates.

Speaking of wich, its that time of week guys!

here goes.

UPDATE

As said before, the team is currently working on Onu Koro, and bridging it to Ga Koro from the Pre Alpha demo.

All the while updating the models we already have with the new hand-painted texture style we're busy with.

So far things are coming along nicely, but I won't show too much or I'll spoil stuff.

People should recognise this I hope:

hut_preview_by_tattorack-d84jten.png

Mask-making is also still a priority.

That includes updating the current mask models we got and making new ones, whether it are masks that are still missing for NPC's to wear or special masks unlockable by the player.

Here's a little preview of a mask that the player can unlock.

Who can guess what mask this is?

suletu_spinny_by_tattorack-d84372o.gif

What about the critters? The fauna? The rest of the life on Mata Nui?

Sure thing. How can one have an adventure without beating at least one thing to oblivion (whether it be some evil nature turned against you or players in a match of Kolhii)?

Take your pick;

The agressive Nui Rama:

nuirama_by_tattorack-d84jvzg.png

Or the cute Fikou?:

fikou_by_tattorack-d84jvzn.png

Keep in mind though, this pictures are development renders and in no way the final look they'll have.

That will be for you to discover when we release the next alpha update ;)

Well thats all for now folks!

And as always, thanks for the continued interest in this project!

(Render credits: doodleloot, Thau and me)

• Upvote 1

Who can guess what mask this is?

suletu_spinny_by_tattorack-d84372o.gif

Is that an unorganic Suletu? Because it resembles a Miru but I've never seen a Miru that looked like that, and it looks fairly similar to a Suletu, minus the weird organic features that Kongu Inika's had.

• Upvote 3

The artist formerly known as

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

BBC#69 Entry: Roodaka - Master of Manipulation

BFTGM entries: Zigben · Ventox · Deflecto

Hail Denmark.

Just downloaded it, and I must say, you guys did a fantastic job! The only thing I had a problem with was the swimming, but besides that, it was great! Loved all the witty dialogue, and the visuals really looked good. Can't wait for more. :)

Whoops, for some reason I was on some other account when I posted this. Whoops. :P

• Upvote 3

You can find most of my stuff on my MOCpages and Flickr accounts.

MOCpages

Flickr

And the winners are SuperGeniusCreator for accurate recognition and guessing, and GreatKualsi for being just that nifty!

Is that an unorganic Suletu? Because it resembles a Miru but I've never seen a Miru that looked like that, and it looks fairly similar to a Suletu, minus the weird organic features that Kongu Inika's had.

I've always thought the Suletu from Kongu resembled a Miru a lot.

I just went for that, but keeping it a Suletu, not just a Miru with add-ons.

How do you think I did?

Filename says it all. Or at least it says Suletu.

Should have named it something else...

If anybody is interested, I made a speed-model of the Suletu's creation process:

http://youtu.be/-kTMZjm9qLc

Edited by Tattorack
  • Upvote 1

And the winners are SuperGeniusCreator for accurate recognition and guessing, and GreatKualsi for being just that nifty!

I've always thought the Suletu from Kongu resembled a Miru a lot.

I just went for that, but keeping it a Suletu, not just a Miru with add-ons.

How do you think I did?

Yay, I won! :winner:  :P And I think you did a good job of keeping the Suletu look while still making it look like a normal Bionicle mask. I'm guessing we'll be seeing inorganic versions of the rest of the Inika masks as well?

• Upvote 1

The artist formerly known as

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

BBC#69 Entry: Roodaka - Master of Manipulation

BFTGM entries: Zigben · Ventox · Deflecto

Hail Denmark.

Whoof, finally got around to making a BZPower account xD

So anyhow, downloaded the Pre-Alpha when it came out, and I'm quite impressed and excited for the full release! The few issues I can say I have are with the swimming(which I know is fixed, I read the updates), some small visual things(will elaborate on further down), and a small error where, if you tab out of the game, then click on it in the bottom bar to re-open it, an....interesting glitch happens with the mouse and the way you move the camera. It's fixed by talking to people, though. I also had a small gripe with the walking animation being slightly out of sync with actually walking, and the walking animation playing when you turn. Sometimes the game bugs when you try to get out of the water. Other than that, I found everything refreshing and nice :D I'm really looking forward to the update.

The small visual things I thought a little visually irritating were the walking animation playing when you turned whilst stationary, and the backdrop with the mountains and waterfall not quite properly melding at the right distances with the water/foreground, making it sort of look like a weird bubble. 

These are all minor though, and I'm sure it will be fixed. It really doesn't detract from the great experience :)

-Kyther

the backdrop with the mountains and waterfall not quite properly melding at the right distances with the water/foreground, making it sort of look like a weird bubble. 

If that doesn't appear for anyone else, that's probably just my computer. ;P

• Upvote 1