How has Bionicle changed your life?

specsowl

Lots of excellent stories! I have an addendum to mine.

I recently decided to condense my collection by instead of keeping them all put together in tubs, taking them apart and putting them into individual plastic bags with the instruction booklet. Either way, it's fun picking up each one, remembering how great that particular set was, and taking it apart, knowing one day when I cycle my collection on my shelf I'll get to put them pack together again. Bionicle will always continue to inspire me, no matter how much I may think otherwise :)

• Upvote 2

I recently decided to condense my collection by instead of keeping them all put together in tubs, taking them apart and putting them into individual plastic bags with the instruction booklet. Either way, it's fun picking up each one, remembering how great that particular set was, and taking it apart, knowing one day when I cycle my collection on my shelf I'll get to put them pack together again. Bionicle will always continue to inspire me, no matter how much I may think otherwise :)

Careful not to snap the ball joints! :o

• Upvote 1

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

Careful not to snap the ball joints! :o

So far so good :). I'm pretty careful with them. The only sockets that have broken for me are the back legs of Fenrakk and the only ball joint that's been broken was Mutran, and that was when I FIRST bought him. The things that seems to break the most for me are the connections where the weapons go into the hands, and that's always incredibly frustrating

Bionicle have helped me dealing with being alone.

With 'alone' I don't mean like 'single', I mean spending hundreds of hours alone in my room. I have always been very different from others, so I don't find it easy making friends or find people with common interests so I was at a young age a lot alone and bored. But when I got introduced to Bionicle and the incredible story that followed these figures, I had always something to do! Building them, playing with them or build my own creatures and add my own small tales to the story. It was so much fun! Bionicle is also most likely the reason that interested me to keep playing with Legos, long after everybody else I knew stopped. Ever since the end of the elementary school, I have been the only one around in my age group who is still into Bionicle/Lego, and I'm very glad I have that. Because of this I can be alone and isolated in my room for hours without the need of having someone to hang out with, just surrounded by my Legos and Bionicles! I know a few people who are almost afraid of being alone like that, and I am very glad I'm not! Due to this I never feel lonely or unhappy, even tough I actually are alone most of my time. so I'm incredible happy I got introduced to it! Bionicle has a huge plase in my heart, and I hope it will last forever!  :D

• Upvote 1

-  :t: :u: :r: :t: :e: :x:

Check out my photostream at Flickr!

The way that Bionicle influenced me the most, funny enough, is a detail that LEGO seemed to gloss over the most.

I've always been the solve-it type that loves to figure out how something works, regardless of whether it's a flashing gizmo or just a simple trick. So, after years of playing with LEGOs I knew I was cut out for engineering, but for I mostly wouldn't think that far ahead. After a few years of being out, the techy/mystery theme of of Bionicle grabbed my attention with its rich story. It was only after I realized the fundeental idea of its name, though, that I really started to love it.

The idea that Bionicle's weren't just robots, but rather a blend of robotics and organics, struck home with me. It suddenly became something fo me to figure out. A couple of years went by and the Prosthetics field started becoming more publicized thanks to Afghanistan war, and when I started hearing about it my first thought was, 'Bionicle!'

Combined with many other factors of Life, I'm now working on an Associates degree in engineering that I'm pretty much guaranteed to transfer into a Biomechanical Engineering program. My fascination with the idea of nature's robotics working alongside man-made robotics can be traced most clearly back to Bionicle, and today it drives me to help one of the saddest groups of people.

Edited by LanceMuch7
  • Upvote 3
Every hero is born from his enemy; every leader, his followers; and every father, his children.

My 3D printing designs on Thingiverse

BIONICLE is what made me choose my career path. :) I grew to love the characters and wished against hope that there were such things as biomechanical beings. I did research and learned of the robots of this world and how people can get biomechanical limbs and such, and that led to an interest in mechanical engineering for me. I have since graduated and am now looking for a career path that would let me explore those territories. All that thanks to BIONICLE. :biorules:

• Upvote 2

Animation_Mangaia.png.e38a5644c8a08bfd4c488514025b5017.png

Formerly Iron_Man5

• 4 weeks later...

I LOVED LEGO Racers and other car themes. I really did. I became interested in Bionicle when I was 8. But- when I subbed to the LEGO Club Magizine I saw the Bionicle page and was like "meh". Then I made my Birthday list and added a BIONICLE to it just for fun. Unaware of what it was. Until I went on the website and instantly became obsessed with Bionicle. I didn't get the figure (and I thought I did when I was handed a canister only to see a Tiny-Turbo set  :P ) I eventually did get it and in my excitement I made my Christmas list three MONTHS early. All I wanted was Bionicle. Then I got my new Lego Club issue early and- New Bionicle was in it. I got a ton of Bionicle on X-mas. I loved it. Until LEGO announced it was ending.

I do hope BIONICLE'S return will be successful. 

BionicleNYCC-327x252.jpg

:br:  :br:  :br:  :br:  :br:  :br:  :br:  :br:  :br:  :br:  :br:  :br:  :br:  :br:

It sparked my interest in sci-fi and fantasy, for one thing. I don't know if I would have developed an interest in those if not for Bionicle. It was also an outlet for storytelling for me--I'd spend hours on end making up adventures for my sets, as well as, of course, devouring the comics and novels. I think that ultimately led to me becoming interested in storytelling in general.

• Upvote 2

Bionicle got me interested in creative stuff and helped me meet some of the only friends I currently have.

(also, it gives me things to do when I'm bored :P)

• Upvote 1

It is not for us to decide the fate of angels.

Dominus Temporis, if you're out there, hit me up through one of my contacts.  I've been hoping to get back in touch for a long time now.  (Don't worry, I'm not gonna beg you to bring back MLWTB or something.  :P )

• 1 month later...

BIONICLE as a toy line forever changed my living room into a mess. I used to just lie there surrounded by pieces. The pieces are gone now, but everything's still messy.

As a franchise it introduced me to BZPower, which introduced me to a few folks I enjoy hanging around with and also killed my ego stone-dead several hundred times.

• Upvote 2

Growing up, I had no friends. All the other kids thought I was weird, which led to a lot of bullying for me. My parents were always busy and never had enough time to spend with me, and my brother was mean-spirited and would always threaten or scare me somehow. Usually I'd cry every day because I felt so alone and unwanted.

Bionicle was the only thing that kept me happy throughout all those years. Most of my childhood was spent either building, reading, drawing, or doing anything even remotely related to the line. Around 3rd grade I moved to my current whereabouts, and in 4th grade I slowly began to lose my motivation to do anything in school. From then on, I would barely pass classes with D's and C's, which of course made my parents treat me rougher than they usually did. All I ever wanted to do was escape from it all, and Bionicle was that escape I so desperately needed.

Looking back, I'm grateful I had Bionicle as my escape. I was really naive and gullible as a kid, and the other kids I was forced to interact with weren't innocent like I was. If I had chosen to hang out with them instead of going home to my Bionicle sets, I probably would of gotten hooked on something. 

From the fun of building sets, to the rich story and lore, Bionicle truly was like stepping into another world. Probably my fondest memories were coming home from school to go on the internet to read about Bionicle. This was when the internet was just beginning to take off, and let me tell you, what a time to be alive. Overall, I'd say Bionicle has been rather influential on my life, and I'm glad I was able to enjoy it when it was in its prime.

• Upvote 6

why is this happening

I felt alone for most of my life growing up. I had literally no good friends for more than a year before they would sell me out to the bullies, and my parents ogled over my sister's perfect grades. At school, people would see me and literally run in the opposite direction because they thought I was annoying, nasty, or just weird. I'll have you know that my grades turned out okay to start...

I was made fun of in school for a lot of reasons that I do not care to talk about. What I will talk about are my size, looks, and interests.

Target #1: I was always the smallest in my class until high school. 

Target #2: I dressed appropriately for school. No I did not wear my pants on my knees. That's dumb and can easily malfunction if and when you trip over your own pants. :)

Target #3: I would talk about things that others had no interest in, like Lego and Bionicle. I also got a black belt in karate, which people somehow found a way to make fun of my about. All in all, don't mess with me. Please.

My sister was and is always nice to me, and she would help me through tough times. I guess I can call her my only friend before and during high school that understood me, but does it count if we're related?

As far as Bionicle goes, it was my only escape from life. A universe with endless wonders? HECKS TO THE YEAH!

The story I followed as close as I possibly could. When my classmates were reading one of the early Harry Potter books, I was reading the Bionicle story. Through the story, I learned that the only way to really stand up to life is to do what you can and roll with the rest. That's what the Toa did. ;)

The line ended just before I entered high school. At that point, I started making some custom characters that I enjoyed to see. However, I got busy with other activities in high school, so my time to dedicate to Bionicle ended for a brief period. :(

In the summer before my third year of high school, I found my old stack of Bionicle comics and books. The comics ranged from the beginning of 2004 to the end of the line's run in 2010, and the only books I can find now are the Chronicles (with the infected Hau Nuva). I began to read the comics again, as I already had the start from '01-'03 pretty fresh in my mind. After seeing so many advertisements for Bioniclestory.com, I just had to see what it was about. I read through all that the site had to offer; every serial, every biography, every podcast (event though I turned to BS01 for the text versions). After that, I found the fan community on youtube, and then BZPower. For once, I was able to interact with people who had a similar interest: Lego and Bionicle. I was happy with it, and I still am.

It was at this time that I took all of the MOCs I had and dismantled them to create new MOCs. I started by making Matoran with the Inika shoulder armor as the chest plate, then a Toa team of my design, and I still have most of them. Others that were scrapped were reworked into new characters that I have made recently. After making the Toa team, I wanted to make a character that represented me, and I did.

About 2-3 months later, I got bored and made a female character. I took a strong liking to the design of the character and said to myself, "You know, I have a self-MOC, but my sister doesn't." Upon making my sister's self MOC, it went through numerous revamps. Of all of the MOCs I have built, I will always put more pride on that one. My sister always helped me through life, so why not return the favor and make a thank you MOC?

In the end, Bionicle has become my primary pastime when I'm not doing work for my college courses. I love reading the different stories people have come up with out of the theme, and I am even happier now that it is coming back. I never had Gali nor Onua before... 

• Upvote 1

Not really my life, truthfully, but I'll give the BIONICLE books some credit for getting me more into reading. Which led me going to BZP, which has honestly helped me expand my writing abilities and improved my literacy.

Edited by Mr. House
I occasionally return to BZP for a nostalgic trip back. Hit me up on discord if you need anything. 

BZPRPG Characters that I will possibly revive, Mons-Shajs-Tarotrix-Aryll Vudigg-Jorruk Yokin-Senavysh Angavur

I didn't have very much of a rough childhood at home, but socially it was a disaster. I moved to the United States from Quebec, Canada when I was four years old, and I started Kindergarten with only knowing three English words. (Teacher, Bathroom, Red Carpet :P ) By the time I had finally caught up to everyone, I was the only one without very many friends, and Bionicle became my escape from that. My best memories were getting home and playing with my sets in my room after school, and the story and sets were something I could always look forward to. I have no idea where I'd be today if I didn't buy that Onua Mata when I saw him at Toys R' Us when I was six years old.

Today, I'm a very social person who's gotten over almost all the awkwardness of my early childhood. (Although I still have that "nerdy" side, I suppose.) So yes, Bionicle has changed me a lot, but I'd say it's for the better. I like to think of myself as a very creative person, and I think Bionicle also had a large part in that as well.

Edited by Shadow Destroyer

shadow_destroyer_banner.jpg
Thank you to the Dark Beings Banner and Avatar Shop for the banner! Brickshelf Gallery  BZPRPG Profiles 

Ooh, some of these stories are deep. Really enjoy reading how each person was changed by Bionicle. :)

For me, like so many others, it was probably that it gave me drive to be creative. Because of Bionicle I have gotten more creative, more into creative writing and creating deep worlds and rich characters thanks to Bionicle's full-realized transmedia universe.

It also taught me how to write around limitations. Sometimes I'd run into an obstacle and then think "If this was something I had to sell, what would the Bionicle story team do in my position?". It has really helped in developing some scripts for my courses.

-NotS

tahubanner.jpg

If you delete Bionicle, I'm a pretty boring person. Brought me tranquility when I was in pieces from school bullying. I also believe that my aspergers has made able to squeeze every last bit of enjoyment from it.

hTeXGIU.png

Also, if you're a resident of the UK and like Bionicle, go ahead and join

us at this awesome Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/BFUK7/

• 7 months later...

I was eight years old when Bionicle was first released. I saw Tahu on the shelves in the toy section of my local grocery store, and begged my mom to get him for me, but she refused. I was an eight-year-old girl, and playing with something as "creepy", "weird" and "potentially violent" as Bionicle was out of the question.

I was undeterred, though I knew I could never actually acquire the sets at that point in my life. I made-believe I was a Toa and that I was rescuing others from evil.

My oldest sister married a LEGO nut, and when I went to visit them he would let me play with his impressive collection of pirate minifigures and sets. He also had one Bionicle set: Tahu Nuva. I played with Tahu more than with the others, but when he offered to let me keep it, I had to tell him no because of my mom.

Fast-forward four years.

My parents had divorced, my mom and I had moved into another neighborhood, and any ideas she had about turning me into a "real" girl were forever broken and swept away both by my stubbornness(I would rather die than wear a dress) and by necessity. As a homeschooled child, I was home alone doing my schoolwork while she was at work. Being as my school would only take me four or five of the eight to ten hours she was gone, I had a good deal of time on my hands. Once again, I turned to my imagination's version of the Bionicle world.

Then I met the person who very quickly became my very best friend. We shared many common interests, including Bionicle. Like myself, her mother didn't want her to get into Bionicle, for the same reasons. Her father finally shot that idea down when he bought her Toa Hordika Nuju in 2005. She got Nokama not long after. It was because of our friendship that my mom finally caved in and let me begin collecting the sets.

My dad bought me my first set, and since it was my very first and I was so excited about it, he didn't put a price limit on what I could get. I promptly picked Roodaka, because of the three titans she looked the coolest. I stayed up all night putting her together, and the next day playing with her or on the Bionicle website.

Long-time fans may remember the 2005 version of the site, with the Rhotuka battle games, the story videos, music videos and the online comics. Those were my first taste of Bionicle story. Soon enough I was collecting books from the library and thoroughly immersing myself in the universe and lore. My collection of Bionicle figures quickly grew from one to over twenty in the span of two years. My friend and I would look at the online catalog as soon as it was released, and decide between us who would buy which sets, to ensure that between the two of us we would have them all. I became a diehard fan.

In 2012, nineteen-year-old me was looking for a job. A local, third-party LEGO retailer was as well-known to me as I was to it's owner, and I was hired very quickly after I dropped off my resume. The reason? The current employees knew NOTHING about Bionicle, and lost a lot of money because they would get in fragmented sets that they didn't know how enough about to find the instructions and repair. By this point in my life, I had the vast majority of the instruction manuals for the canister sets memorized, and the parts lists for many of the titan sets down as well. I could look at a pile of random Bionicle pieces and figure out if there were any complete sets in it within five minutes, usually less.

I have been at the same job for over three years now, and am affectionately, and accurately, called Bionicle Girl by my boss and several regular customers. My co-workers often call me the local Bionicle Expert. My name badge has the symbol of the Three Virtues on it, and I built a Technic construction onto it that allows me to fit two Kanohi onto it as well. A lot of kids who weren't even alive at the time Bionicle was in it's heyday recognize the masks, and ask me if Bionicle is my favorite. 

Thanks to my job, I have over 90% of the 2001-2010 Bionicle sets, but that just wasn't enough for me. I've been building MOCs for the past year and a half with my best friend, and we have so many of them now that half my bookshelves have been devoted to them. We often take them out into local wooded areas or to the river and photograph them. We've built up a story around them, and each one is a unique character who exists in our own head-canon. We've taken LEGO's world and run with it, and there's no stopping us now.

• Upvote 3

"Those who dream by day are conscious of many things that escape those who dream only by night." - Edgar Allan Poe

I wouldn't be the wonderful, handsome, funny, and heroic man I am today if it wasn't for Bionicle... why I just wouldn't be me!

Sure~

Bionicle actually was my main inspiration for an epic I'm writing. I've spent almost 12 years writing this thing. Over 5,000 characters, 2,000 years of timeline, species, language, culture, and class.

My work has been compared to J.R.R Tolkien? I guess it kind of is, but because we follow the same principle in writing stories.

I was eight years old when Bionicle was first released. [...]

Please check the date of the last post before replying! If it has been over two months, posting will revive the topic. If you want further details about this rule, please feel free to PM me or another staff member.

For now, though, revived topic closed - but that doesn't mean a new one can't be made.

• Upvote 2