• Create Account

Welcome to BZPower!

Hi there, while we hope you enjoy browsing through the site, there's a lot more you can do if you register. The process is easy and you can use your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account to make it even faster. Some perks of joining include:
  • Create your own topics, participate in existing discussions, and vote in polls
  • Show off your creations, stories, art, music, and movies and play member and staff-run games
  • Enter contests to win free LEGO sets and other prizes, and vote to decide the winners
  • Participate in raffles, including exclusive raffles for new members, and win free LEGO sets
  • Send private messages to other members
  • Organize with other members to attend or send your MOCs to LEGO fan events all over the world
  • Much, much more!
Enjoy your visit!

Photo

The Elder Scrolls

morrowind oblivion skyrim

• Please log in to reply
1667 replies to this topic

#1641 Offline Toa Levacius Zehvor

Toa Levacius Zehvor
  • Members
  • Poison Healed

• 6,878 posts
  •  

Posted Jan 22 2013 - 07:42 PM

Skyrim is most certainly for casuals

Morrowind master race

While Morrowind is my favorite of the series, it's still childs play to the game Arena. Anybody here thinks they're tough, try playing that. You won't last through the first dungeon - especially if you're a mage. Or worse - a monk.

-Toa Levacius Zehvor :flagusa:

#1642 Offline The Renegade Emperor

The Renegade Emperor
  • Members
  • Battling Makuta!

• 515 posts
  •  

Posted Feb 01 2013 - 02:23 PM

Aaand now we have the ( North American ) release dates for the DLCs on PS3:

Dragonborn: Tuesday, February 12th

Hearthfire: Tuesday, February 19th

Dawnguard: Tuesday, February 26th

skyrim_banner.jpg

#1643 Offline Terton

Terton
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Ice Warrior Defeated

• 2,913 posts
  •  

Posted Feb 02 2013 - 03:51 PM

Aaand now we have the ( North American ) release dates for the DLCs on PS3:

Dragonborn: Tuesday, February 12th

Hearthfire: Tuesday, February 19th

Dawnguard: Tuesday, February 26th

Dragonborn is the best of those three. Although I'm surprised that it's getting released first.

Edited by Terton, Feb 02 2013 - 03:51 PM.

#1644 Offline Bominominomu Nemo

Bominominomu Nemo
  • Members
  • Stone Champion Nuva

• 1,563 posts
  •  

Posted Feb 06 2013 - 05:19 PM

Skyrim is most certainly for casuals

Morrowind master race

Unfortunately, yes.

It's kind of sad when I can have a harder time with Survival mode Minecraft than with a TES game.

I've managed to get a no fast travel mod + more travel options mod, but I wish there was a mod that would remove all the "essential" flags whilst at the same time boosting the previously essential NPC's stats to outrageous levels, making them possible to kill, but taking a greater deal of effort to do so.

It would feel more satisfying to have a long and painful fight with Jaree-Ra instead of beating him easily, and then going to UESP and looking up his actor ID while he's down so I can set him to non-essential via the console.

Edited by Vir Nemo, Feb 06 2013 - 05:25 PM.

Do you believe in magic?

#1645 Offline Takatu

Takatu
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Nuva Team Assembled

• 2,583 posts
  •  

Posted Feb 07 2013 - 10:25 AM

[color=#ff0000;]Well, got Dragonborn for the PC on Tuesday. Arrived at Raven Rock and saw Bonemold armor and Dunmer style buildings while Morrowind music played. Felt like I got punched in the face with the fist of nostalgia.[/color]

[color=#ff0000;]I'm a little torn, though. On the one hand, Solstheim is so cool and offers a LOT in the way of exploration and Morrowind-y stuff, and the trips to Apocrypha are really cool. But the main story was way too short and kinda lacking, didn't really feel the impact on some character deaths because I felt like I didn't really get to know them.[/color]

[color=#ff0000;]So while Dawnguard had much, much less than Dragonborn (seriously, Dawnguard doesn't even come close to the amount of time you can spend in Dragonborn alone), I feel like what was in Dawnguard was just much better written than most of DB. Serana still remains pretty much the most developed character in the game, for sure.[/color]

[color=#ff0000;]Still, DB was WELL worth the twenty bucks, there's just an insane amount of stuff to do on Solstheim. I flipped when I found what was inside that barrow on the island just east of the Skaal village, because I remembered it from Bloodmoon and it was AWESOME.[/color]

Posted Image

#1646 Offline Baltarc

Baltarc
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • FFM OTC Winner

• 1,704 posts
  •  

Posted Feb 07 2013 - 04:56 PM

no fast travel mod
Or you could justyou knownot fast travel.

Edited by Baltarc, Feb 07 2013 - 04:56 PM.

quetzalbanner01.jpg

#1647 Offline Takatu

Takatu
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Nuva Team Assembled

• 2,583 posts
  •  

Posted Feb 09 2013 - 01:41 AM

[color=#ff0000;]Using the Slow Time shout while using Miraak's sword produces a pretty cool effect when the tentacle extends out. Just an FYI lol.[/color]

[color=#ff0000;]Also, while I still believe Serana is pretty much the best/most developed NPC in the game, Neloth is wonderful. Kind of rude, but hilarious. Talk to him extensively.[/color]

Edited by Takatu, Feb 09 2013 - 01:42 AM.

Posted Image

#1648 Offline Toa Levacius Zehvor

Toa Levacius Zehvor
  • Members
  • Poison Healed

• 6,878 posts
  •  

Posted Feb 09 2013 - 04:24 AM

In case I end up spoiling something -

Spoiler

Going along with what Takatu said, though Dragonborn doesn't have very many well detailed characters, and deaths aren't particularly striking. Even the final battle doesn't leave that much of a sense of accomplishment. Solstheim definitely needed to feel more... three dimensional, I guess. More emotional investment.

Step one is fixing the games biggest problem, which was expressed by one of my friends at school (one of the few fans of Oblivion I know who never played Morrowind) -

"In Oblivion, you go and help some kids save a farm from an army of goblins. In Skyrim, you get their family sword from Draugr. In Oblivion, you go into a portal to another dimension and fight an army of demons. In Skyrim, you enter a cave and kill Draugr. In Oblivion, you have to break into a mansion and burn down a tree. In Skyrim, you fight a Draugr. It's all nothing but Draugr."

Honestly, the biggest problem is how little variety their is in the things you fight. I really do miss the Morrowind set up where specific enemies were at specific points as NPCs, with no randoms (until Bloodmoon came out) and randomly appearing monsters of numerous sorts and types. Dwemer Centurions and Draugr get boring quickly, and the only thing keeping Dragons from being boring is being Dragons.

Heck, did they even need Dwemer Ruins on Solstheim? Where were those 200 years ago? Were they invisible? I've always gone with the 'you just didn't see them' policy, but at least the one on the east coast is pretty big. I mean, I would think you'd notice that one.

Overall, lack of interest in NPCS during the main quest and the fact I had to fight some robots is all that disappoints me. I can even live with the Draugr, since it makes some sense (though seeing Draugr more like the ones from Bloodmoon - feral and hunched over - would have been more interesting, especially if it was like in the actual Bloodmoon barrows where it's so dark that all you can see is the red light of their eyes). But if I needed to fix one thing in this, it would have been those Dwemer Ruins.

Stupid Dwemer. Do you know why they're extinct? Because the other races all got together and murdered them all for trying to take all the face time, and then wiped out any evidence. And that's the truth - elves and nords, living together, in harmony, killing dwarves that are elves.

#1649 Offline Takatu

Takatu
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Nuva Team Assembled

• 2,583 posts
  •  

Posted Feb 09 2013 - 10:11 AM

[color=#ff0000;]I know you were kidding at the end, but they do kinda heavily hint at what happened to the Dwemer in Morrowind, heh.[/color]

[color=#ff0000;]I know what you're saying about their ruins, and it doesn't make much sense, but I overlooked it because I have a soft spot for Dwemer ruins. I just chalked it up to Red Mountain's eruption covering and uncovering all sorts of stuff from the ash and lava, although that still doesn't really make sense with the ruin on the east coast.[/color]

[color=#ff0000;]And in case I'm spoiling anything:[/color]

[color=#ff0000;]

Spoiler
[/color]

[color=#ff0000;]I guess they decided to spend more time and energy on the exploration trademark of Elder Scrolls, as opposed to the much heavier story-driven Dawnguard, which didn't have a whole lot in the way of random exploring.[/color]

Posted Image

#1650 Offline Toa Levacius Zehvor

Toa Levacius Zehvor
  • Members
  • Poison Healed

• 6,878 posts
  •  

Posted Feb 09 2013 - 03:38 PM

The way I see it -

Spoiler

#1651 Offline Takatu

Takatu
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Nuva Team Assembled

• 2,583 posts
  •  

Posted Feb 09 2013 - 05:23 PM

[color=#ff0000;]

Spoiler
[/color]

[color=#ff0000;]Still, the DLC is still worth it, since there's a lot of cool side stuff, and the Dragon Aspect shout is SO COOL.[/color]

Edited by Takatu, Feb 09 2013 - 05:23 PM.

Posted Image

#1652 Offline BenLuke

BenLuke
  • Members
  • Emerging Flying Force

• 2,242 posts
  •  

Posted Feb 09 2013 - 05:28 PM

>Expecting good writing in the actually plot of a Elder Scrolls game.

Heh.

Edited by Javert, Feb 19 2013 - 04:03 PM.

#1653 Offline Takatu

Takatu
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Nuva Team Assembled

• 2,583 posts
  •  

Posted Feb 09 2013 - 09:46 PM

[color=#ff0000;]I know, I know lol. What they really excel at is world building and just overall open-ness of the whole thing. They've created some really cool concepts and stuff in all the games, but their plotting is definitely lacking. Probably why I loved Dawnguard so much, seemed like they really applied themselves in the story writing there more than most.[/color]

Posted Image

#1654 Offline Toa Levacius Zehvor

Toa Levacius Zehvor
  • Members
  • Poison Healed

• 6,878 posts
  •  

Posted Feb 11 2013 - 01:23 AM

What's more fun with mining with a pickaxe?

Dual wielding Ancient Nordic Pickaxes with Elemental Whirlwind at full power and unleashing a number of power attacks in a row until the Stalhirm is fully mined.

What's more fun than that?

Doing the same thing to a Draugr Deathlord.

And what's more fun than that?

Doing it to a Lurker Sentinel or a Dragon.

I don't even dual wield, but after seeing just how fast you can go with those pickaxes, I thought to myself, "What could possibly survive that?"

#1655 Offline Takatu

Takatu
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Nuva Team Assembled

• 2,583 posts
  •  

Posted Feb 11 2013 - 10:13 AM

[color=#ff0000;]That's why dual wielding could potentially be the most lethal and pretty much overpowered combat method in the game. You get the right perks, good weapons and the Elemental Fury shout, you're pretty much a walking meat grinder.[/color]

[color=#ff0000;]Glad to see I wasn't the only one doing that with Stalhrim lol.[/color]

Posted Image

#1656 Offline Dapper-San

Dapper-San
  • Members
  • Stalwart Defender

• 432 posts
  •  

Posted Feb 24 2013 - 11:16 PM

[color=#ff0000;]You get the right perks, good weapons and the Elemental Fury shout, you're pretty much a walking meat grinder.[/color]

---

That's what daggers are for.

Gatekeeper42.png

Look at me, much gamer, so PlayStation, very achieve

#1657 Offline Takatu

Takatu
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Nuva Team Assembled

• 2,583 posts
  •  

Posted Feb 25 2013 - 04:00 PM

[color=#ff0000;]So Dragon Aspect is probably one of my new favorite Shouts ever. Although Cyclone is potentially the most hilarious in the right situations.[/color]

[color=#ff0000;]Also, spoilers for a Tel Mithryn/Neloth quest:[/color]

[color=#ff0000;]

Spoiler
[/color]

Posted Image

#1658 Offline Dapper-San

Dapper-San
  • Members
  • Stalwart Defender

• 432 posts
  •  

Posted Feb 25 2013 - 06:19 PM

I don't use PC's for my high-end games, but I still know what you can do with console commands. Here is a recipe for awesomeness:

The Walking Wood-shredder

-Spawn two of your preferred daggers. I recommend using Daedric daggers or Mehrune's Razors.

-Take the player to the locations of all words for Elemental Fury, if needed.

-Activate God-Mode.

-Shred away.

Edited by Dude w/ a Hat, Feb 25 2013 - 06:20 PM.

Gatekeeper42.png

#1659 Offline Toa Levacius Zehvor

Toa Levacius Zehvor
  • Members
  • Poison Healed

• 6,878 posts
  •  

Posted Feb 26 2013 - 03:53 PM

You know what would be awesome? Is if they really do make two more DLCs past Dragonborn like the rumors say, and while the first is independent, the second (and final) is actually a super-massive one and links all of the other DLCs main quests, along with the game Skyrim itself, to some epic end-all quest that pretty much uses all of your powers.

I still want to see a quest where you get all of your friends/followers and the like at your side to some awesome thing like take command of military units against the Thalmor or some other force that pops up. Or all of your allied factions. What could possibly stand against you then, or the side you fight for?

I'm also intrigued by the idea of Bend Will being used on an Elder Scroll.

#1660 Online Katuko

Katuko
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Mask of Light Unveiled

• 5,138 posts
  •  

Posted Feb 27 2013 - 10:21 AM

I still want to see a quest where you get all of your friends/followers and the like at your side to some awesome thing like take command of military units against the Thalmor or some other force that pops up. Or all of your allied factions. What could possibly stand against you then, or the side you fight for?
I want to chime in and say that this is very much achievable through mods, since the only thing keeping you from having more followers is a simple variable check. Turning it off lets you have all followers and infinite summons. There is also a mod that ramps up the number of spawns per spawn point, and everything becomes an awesome war zone.However, the reason why this epicness is not in-game by default... is the heavy lag it may cause, and in worse cases the AI makes it all crash. The Civil War quests spawn many enemy troops in sequence, and note how the bodies fade away very quickly. The game engine doesn't seem to handle mass spawns very well.

rahkshi_elite_banner5b.png
Updated February 2014: Added new attacks for Toa of Iron, Plant Life and Psionics!
[ What YOU can do to help develop BIONICLE Fighter! ]
Click here for my: Art | BZP Blog | WordPress Blog

#1661 Offline Dapper-San

Dapper-San
  • Members
  • Stalwart Defender

• 432 posts
  •  

Posted Feb 27 2013 - 10:38 AM

Bend Will, on an Elder Scroll? Hmm..

I think many uses could be had for the shout. I wonder if it works like an Illusion spell, not working on Daedra, Undead or Machines? Also, it'd be intriguing to be able to use Bend Will on Skyrim's Standing Stones(Guardians stones, Ritual stone, etc.). Of course, It wouldn't have a critical effect, as Miraak hasn't fully reached Skyrim. It would do something neat, like amplify the power of the stone once used.

I need to try that...

Edited by Dude w/ a Hat, Feb 27 2013 - 10:39 AM.

Gatekeeper42.png

#1662 Offline Toa Levacius Zehvor

Toa Levacius Zehvor
  • Members
  • Poison Healed

• 6,878 posts
  •  

Posted Feb 27 2013 - 10:27 PM

I want to chime in and say that this is very much achievable through mods, since the only thing keeping you from having more followers is a simple variable check. Turning it off lets you have all followers and infinite summons. There is also a moderator that ramps up the number of spawns per spawn point, and everything becomes an awesome war zone.However, the reason why this epicness is not in-game by default... is the heavy lag it may cause, and in worse cases the AI makes it all crash. The Civil War quests spawn many enemy troops in sequence, and note how the bodies fade away very quickly. The game engine doesn't seem to handle mass spawns very well.

Mods that let numerous followers follow you are a dime a dozen; what I'm talking about is something quest related. The classic 'hah, hero, you are all alone and I shall now defeat you' followed by an off-screen 'no he's not' that ends up with a bunch of your allies being there and giving up a bunch of snazzy one liners before whooping the bad guy down with you.

I think many uses could be had for the shout. I wonder if it works like an Illusion spell, not working on Daedra, Undead or Machines? Also, it'd be intriguing to be able to use Bend Will on Skyrim's Standing Stones(Guardians stones, Ritual stone, etc.). Of course, It wouldn't have a critical effect, as Miraak hasn't fully reached Skyrim. It would do something neat, like amplify the power of the stone once used.

As far as I can tell, the Bend Will shout has no use in-game besides getting rid of Miraak's influence and putting people/animals/dragons under your command. But supposedly, it can put the very stones of the earth under your command. Since an Elder Scroll is constantly in a state of flux until the hero completes the prophecy and thereby permaently writes the Scroll, if you could actually influence parts of the Scroll into a certain pattern, you could affect the entire world.

#1663 Offline Dapper-San

Dapper-San
  • Members
  • Stalwart Defender

• 432 posts
  •  

Posted Feb 27 2013 - 11:56 PM

But supposedly, it can put the very stones of the earth under your command.

Exactly. I doubt that it's effects are limited solely to Solsthiem's stones. Well, really it's up to Bethesda whether or not to add these features.

Gatekeeper42.png

#1664 Online Katuko

Katuko
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Mask of Light Unveiled

• 5,138 posts
  •  

Posted Feb 28 2013 - 10:25 AM

Mods that let numerous followers follow you are a dime a dozen; what I'm talking about is something quest related. The classic 'hah, hero, you are all alone and I shall now defeat you' followed by an off-screen 'no he's not' that ends up with a bunch of your allies being there and giving up a bunch of snazzy one liners before whooping the bad guy down with you.
I know, I'm just saying that likely the only reason why such a thing is not in-game yet is because of how unstable things become when you add more and more AI.

rahkshi_elite_banner5b.png
Updated February 2014: Added new attacks for Toa of Iron, Plant Life and Psionics!
[ What YOU can do to help develop BIONICLE Fighter! ]
Click here for my: Art | BZP Blog | WordPress Blog

#1665 Offline Toa Levacius Zehvor

Toa Levacius Zehvor
  • Members
  • Poison Healed

• 6,878 posts
  •  

Posted Feb 28 2013 - 08:05 PM

I know, I'm just saying that likely the only reason why such a thing is not in-game yet is because of how unstable things become when you add more and more AI.

I dunno.

Another thing I realized Skyrim is missing - cutscenes. I loved the cutscenes in Morrowind and Oblivion. There weren't many, but where they were, they counted.

#1666 Offline Dapper-San

Dapper-San
  • Members
  • Stalwart Defender

• 432 posts
  •  

Posted Feb 28 2013 - 10:50 PM

Argonians are overrated.

...for good reason. They offer the most for any race (Histskin, Waterbreathing, Resist Disease. That's 3).

Gatekeeper42.png

#1667 Offline Toa Levacius Zehvor

Toa Levacius Zehvor
  • Members
  • Poison Healed

• 6,878 posts
  •  

Posted Mar 01 2013 - 03:14 AM

It's to compensate for how badly they sucked in everything before Skyrim.

The thing that drew my ire was how badly they nerfed Redguards in Skyrim. Redguards back in Morrowind had some of the best skills and attributes, 75% Resistance to Poison (beat only by Argonians) and Disease (beat only by Altmer) and an Adrenaline Rush that acted as one of the strongest power boosts you could possibly see in the game. Now they just get poison resistance (which is still boss against Falmer) and an Adrenaline Rush for... stamina. Which is cool, I guess... a little.

Still enough pure damage that I could thrash any pansy Argonian trying to hide behind his Histskin.

#1668 Offline Takatu

Takatu
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Nuva Team Assembled

• 2,583 posts
  •  

Posted Mar 01 2013 - 10:39 AM

[color=#ff0000;]I'm pretty sure they said somewhere that they're continuing to work on DLC. I just hope that if they take else to different places again, it'll be someplace completely new. I like Solstheim, it was nostalgic and had lots of neat places, but I've already played Morrowind and Bloodmoon. I wanna explore places I've never seen before.[/color]

[color=#ff0000;]And a Thalmor-related DLC, of course. I would like nothing more than officially taking my violent, vampire lord Dovahkiin with Odahviing, Durnehviir, and any other dragons and bringing eternal wrath down on those elves.[/color]

Posted Image

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users