The Greatest Story Never to be Finished...?

A lot of people are wondering if the new Bionicle will be a continuation, or a retelling/reboot of some kind. I don't know what the answer will be, and I don't think anyone outside of TLG would either. 

Personally, I'm hoping for a continuation, but I have a feeling that if this were to be the case, a lot of the unfinished plot lines will have to be cut, which is upsetting, but I recognise that it's probably necessary. 

If they kept all of the plotlines, then the first year of Bionicle's return would be one giant mess of a battle, and rack up an immense bodycount. Here are all of the unfinished plotlines and loose ends and such that I can think of off the top of my head (feel free to add any others you think of).

• The remaining Skrall are no doubt regrouping in the desert... again...
  • Tuma is still alive, also wandering the desert...
  • Malum and his pet Vorox are still out there, as far as I know...
  • The Elemental Lords are still trying to fight their unending war...
  • The Baterra have probably reached Roxtus by now...
  • Great Being Velika is running around blowing people up...
  • The Red Star is still floating up there, full of crazy dead people...
  • The Golden Being/Skakdi Fusion/Zaktann has a skakdi army and may or may not still have the Toa Mahri back under his control... 
  • Marendar has set off to hunt down all of the Toa...
  • There is a lot of mistrust and angst between the MU inhabitants and the Agori, which might result in some kind of conflict later on...
  • Pridak, Kalmah, Eehlek and Mantax have rebuilt their armies and escaped the MU.
  • The Dark Hunters and TSO are still out there, and TSO has the viruses that were originally used to bring down the MU (who knows what they might be useful for now?) 
  • There's a whole bunch of other ambitious/dangerous/intriguing wildcard characters who might have an impact on the future storyline, including, but not limited to: Lesovik, Takadox, Artakha, Miserix, Akhmou, Metus, Sahmad, Tuyet and Vezon...

So basically there's a half-dozen different armies scattered across Spherus Magna, and a bunch of other characters all running around trying to do their own thing, plus whatever I might have missed... 

Embers - a new Bionicle Epic - Teaser

Class Is Out - A Farewell To Corpus Rahkshi - Chapters/Review

BZPRPG Characters - Minnorak, Kain, T'harrak, Savis, Vazaria, Lash

BZPRPG Mercenary Group - The Outsiders - Description - History - Base

Ghosts Of Bara Magna - Ash Tribe - Precipere - Kehla, Somok, Skrall, Gayle, Avinus, Zha'ar

I'm personally hoping more for a full reboot. It's because of those loose plot ends I think this story needs a fresh start. I've spoken to fans who were turned off by the story BECAUSE there was so much stuff building on itself to the point it was difficult to really get into it. Mostly because they got an interest later on and had little to no access to older story material, which is understandable and I can agree with their reasoning. Imagine now for new fans, they'd have to access material starting from over 10 years ago to try and understand the current ongoing story. With the original Bionicle site gone and older materials like the comics and books out of print and difficult to obtain (save for maybe the graphic novels), it would be next to near impossible to get into things and understand what is going on. And again, it isn't really their fault unless Lego decides to make everything Generation 1 Bionicle fully accessible to fans again. Given that this is a continuation and not a total reboot.

This still brings up the question of the serials and the fate of the story as a whole, however. They REALLY need to be finished so the story can have an actual ending, versus ending with several cliffhangers and plot ends left unresolved that we have right now. There needs to be closure... unless of course this is a continuation and it picks up right from where the serials left off at. That's one theory but I really hope that is not the case for reasons I stated above.

• Upvote 1

You see, while I can slightly understand that logic of their being to much story, I too, just got back into BIONICLE and I simply went Biosecotor01 and caught up within a few days. It honestly wasn't hard at all.

“We all change. When you think about it, we're all different people all through our lives. And that's okay. That's good. You gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be."

-The Doctor

The fact that there's such a mountain of loose plotlines is one of the reasons why the old storyline should be shelved in favor of a reboot. That also avoids new fans having to learn a massive amount of lore from a decade of the story.

Also most of those plot points sound like terrible ideas for a new storyline anyway. Most of them are about random minor characters who nobody would really care about whatsoever.

~B~

Edited by Ballom
  • Upvote 2

When the Toa Nuva overloaded the powers of the Bohrok Kal, Lehvak-Kal was lunched through the island(you know which one) into a low orbit. so he is still a threat... unless he is still stuck in orbit. and if they do a reboot, we already know what will happen, so that would be pointless. they should do a continuation that wraps up all lose ends before finishing, and sets better then how they did it with the stars line.

Edited by Toa Brian Nuva

Chaos will prevail... eventually...

All those loose ends just prove that Bionicle needs to be rebooted when/if it comes back. There is no way someone just jumping into the story at this point would understand what's going on. They would be very confused as to what's happening. 

And I know some people will say that they could just go to BS01 and catch up on the storyline, and that is true. But what if they didn't know the site existed? I probably wouldn't know it existed if I wasn't a member of BZP. And I know that Lego would want to make it easier to get into the story too, which just makes me think that these loose threads will stay loose and a reboot will happen instead.

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

I don't think it's a good Idea to leave a story loved by many left unfinished. I would still like to know what will happen to Lewa and all these points you listed, and although I want a continuation set in the far future, Greg should at least finish the stories online like he was doing. Or maybe reveal all of them little by little as plot points in the continuation.

• Upvote 1

I'm personally hoping more for a full reboot. It's because of those loose plot ends I think this story needs a fresh start.
All those loose ends just prove that Bionicle needs to be rebooted when/if it comes back. There is no way someone just jumping into the story at this point would understand what's going on. They would be very confused as to what's happening.

I don't get why people keep saying things like this. Why do these things need explained to new fans in a distant-future continuation? And wouldn't a total reboot just confuse things even further?

The loose ends are loose simply because the serials are unfinished. If Greg returns, regardless of what form the main return story takes, finishing the serials we have could be an option, as a side project. None of that should be relevant to a distant future story. Unless, of course, they do decide to use some of it (like maybe Velika). But anything that is the case when new story starts can just be part of the world that is -- no need to understand why it's that way. If they want to, they can just look up old story on their own time.

Still not sure if everybody saying reboot means full reboot (2001 rehashed), though. A future-continuation would be a "reboot" in a sense.

Edit: Come to think of it, a lot of these loose plot points could be dealt with either way. Or even just eventually coming out from Greg answers like some details already have been, although I would prefer a story. Point is, they don't have to be the main story at all, and a total reboot is really virtually irrelevant to them, and probably counterproductive.

Edited by bonesiii
  • Upvote 4

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

Honestly, I don't want the old Bionicle to be left with unfinished plot lines, I don't want another Mass Effect 3 or KOTOR 2 ending with plot lines left to rot and stories unfinished. So I'm really hoping for a continuation where the old left off.

"In this new- Wait, why am I being quoted?!"

-Kovika, Toa of Ice, Bread Enthusiast, and Ko-Metru Scholar.

[flash=250,100]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/sprxtrerme/BANNERS/thornax.swf

Am I the only one why loves the numerous plot lines heading off in crazy directions all at once? (Like an awesome book!)

Yea it will probably be confusing if it started right from when we ended, but that'd also give us a high chance of seeing more interactions with. (And maybe images of) those guys we never really saw (Artahka is a prime example. I still want to see what he looks like).

Online presences (main ones, at least):

DeviantART: Heontris

YouTube: Heontris

Anything else with the name Heontris is also me. As far as I know.

"Don't be a night owl, it gets boring after the first 6 hours." - Me right now

Am I the only one why loves the numerous plot lines heading off in crazy directions all at once? (Like an awesome book!)

Yea it will probably be confusing if it started right from when we ended, but that'd also give us a high chance of seeing more interactions with. (And maybe images of) those guys we never really saw (Artahka is a prime example. I still want to see what he looks like).

I don't know why but I always thought artakha's mask would like the prototype ignika since it actually looked pretty cool.

Edited by Trizzlers

We know there are loads of alternate universes in the Bionicle story, so it is possible that they will start again on Mata Nui, with the Toa Mata and all that. But then they might show a significant tweak in the plot that gives the story a completely different turn (Toa Metru include Orkahm and that group of matoran, but fail, something like that).

• Upvote 1

Eh, I think it should be far enough forward into the future that all that stuff gets explained away as, "oh yeah, that ended like this. This is how things are now." Honestly, I don't care at all about a bunch of that stuff, and I don't think it would be such a tragedy if we don't find out what happens to one minor villain wandering a desert and stuff like that. It could just be left alone until Greg decides to bring that stuff back; Star Trek TNG had a lot of "loose ends" throughout its run that they randomly tied up in its last two seasons to great effect, bringing in potentially boring or redundant conflicts right when everyone's forgotten about them for a refreshing reminder and satisfying conclusion. Loose ends from the web serials just mean that Greg or whoever is writing has a lot of ideas to choose form when it comes to finding a conflict for the story, and can pull out whatever could actually work really well and introduce it as "before [whatever sets 2015 apart], there were these warlords (Ehlek and co.) who escaped their prisons and amassed an army in secret. Now they are back, and only with the help of the Toa Mahri who faced them once before can our heroes hope to defeat them." Past details don't even need to be mentioned. Whatever is never gonna be used will probably be wrapped up in a quick hand wave or two if Greg's asked about it. 

• Upvote 2

pomegranate-banner-sm.png .

In regards to the viruses and TSO (and it's been a while since I read deeply into the mythos, so I might be wrong), who's to say the viruses will even work?  From what I recall, they were used to bring down Mata Nui, and maybe could be distributed to a wider group by being injected into the MN robot, and then it would spread.

They're on a planet now, an actual planet, so would the viruses even work?  That's what I'm wondering.

Again, I might be completely wrong, because it's been a while.

audio_narration_project_banner_small.jpg

I'm actually fine with a lot of those random plot points fading into the background, never to be seen again. For example, Tuma, Malum, and the Baterra don't strike me as that big of a deal. I do want the serials to be finished (and the Velika, the Red Star, Marendar, etc threads to be tied), but I don't see why a new Bionicle story has to be bogged down by some of those little things.  

During my few days on this forum as a new member, I've seen a lot of people state that the reason they enjoyed the Toa Mata/Nuva was because of the mystery of this new universe. Would this mystery not be relived, even a bit, if a full reboot took place? *Sprinkles nostalgia fairy dust everywhere*

Just a thought.

"Sometimes a hero has to do something else besides beat the villains and come home covered in glory. Sometimes, he has to make a sacrifice so that a lot of people, people he's never met before and who don't know his name, can live." -Hahli

Would this mystery not be relived... if a full reboot took place?

No it wouldn't. Other mystery can be lived, but once a mystery is solved, there's no real going back. Bottom line is, a full reboot would have to have a different emphasis. Which is possible (heck, I'm doing it in my retelling :P -- but there the mystery is less an emphasis than usual for this very reason), but it would be much easier and solve all the major problems to have it set in the future so a new major mystery can be used. :)

even a bit

Surely we can aim higher than that? :P

• Upvote 2

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

I didn't mean The Mysterious Feeling of the 2001 Bionicle Universe, I just meant it in a general sense.

Anyway, I'm not completely sure what I think they would do. Perhaps wrap up the loose ends on the side and start a new storyline set in the future as a compromise to new and old fans? I dunno.

However, for some reason I want a full reboot, which is strange, as I'm a nostalgic and sentimental person.

Edited by Dual
  • Upvote 1

"Sometimes a hero has to do something else besides beat the villains and come home covered in glory. Sometimes, he has to make a sacrifice so that a lot of people, people he's never met before and who don't know his name, can live." -Hahli

Im hoping for a mix between a continuation and a reboot, for example Greg should at least try and tie up at least a few of the loose ends that were left in the air, but maybe a bit of a reboot is needed to get the mystery back and keep it fresh and interesting

Go check out our Youtube channel! We review BIONICLE and other LEGO related items!
https://www.youtube.com/user/RandomReviewerBros

I'd like some of the loose ends to be tied up. A continuation that skips a few years could work for me. I think it would be fairly easy to pick up the old story in a way that makes most of the MU story largely irrelevant (in that it wouldn't be required to understand what is happening). I think TSO, the Barraki and the Baterra could all be major forces to drive the story.

I mean, think about it. After defeating the combined force of the Barraki warlords and the Dark Hunters one year, the Baterra suddenly rock up and launch a massive offensive in the next year's line. The Skrall were he greatest fighters on Bara Magna, and even they were scared of the Baterra. It says a lot about how formidable they were. And of course, let's not forget the wildcards like the Golden Being, Velika, and Marendar.

Also, I read somewhere in the Chat with Greg on LMB that all of the monsters created at the end of Sahmad's tale when the Skakdi went mad also survived and are rampaging loose on Spherus Magna. 

Embers - a new Bionicle Epic - Teaser

Class Is Out - A Farewell To Corpus Rahkshi - Chapters/Review

BZPRPG Characters - Minnorak, Kain, T'harrak, Savis, Vazaria, Lash

BZPRPG Mercenary Group - The Outsiders - Description - History - Base

Ghosts Of Bara Magna - Ash Tribe - Precipere - Kehla, Somok, Skrall, Gayle, Avinus, Zha'ar