Favorite Mask Connection and Head?

Banana Gunz

As we all know, there have been several types of Bionicle heads and mask attachments.

I want to know what your favorites are! And why? Is it open to building and customizing? Does it look best? Is it more practical and simple? Tell me! And every part has its downsides so what do you NOT like about your favorite type?

The heads can range from the Toa Mata heads, the Tohunga head, to the Metru (the piraka heads are kind of a sub-category of this one), to the Inika, the Av-Matoran head, the Glatorian head, or any of the others (though most others are pretty species specific).

As for masks, do you like the older sort of short 'stud' connection, the axle, the axle hole, the connection point being on the top or sides of the mask, or even no solid connection at all (Inika)?!?!

!!! My opinions Below !!!

My favorite head is the Metru head, for it looks as interesting and ominous as the original, and is highly practical. It allows for easy head mobility and connections and looks great behind most masks. Plus, it is compatible with most of the masks made in Bionicle despite many of them being connected to the head differently, such as the Mata masks and the Metru masks. I never liked the fully transparent heads so this head is optimal, because it makes the eyes stand out and look really cool when they catch the light. They look like a part of every model rather than be distracting! Its only downside is that its shape, though very welcoming to most masks, can reject a few, and it works best with axle attachments, for the older Mata-Masks can swivel just a tad bit (not a big deal for me but for some can be distracting).

My favorite mask connection is the first Mata "stud" connection, honestly. It makes the mask seem more like a mask, rather than a face as the more permanent axle connected masks made themselves out to be. Plus, it is sturdy enough not to fall off by accident a lot, but still can be made to come off with little struggle for play-ability. As well as that, they feel better to take off the face for no fear of damaging the connector 'stud', whereas (as rarely as it happens) with the axle connection, it is possible for the axle to bend or break (especially with its softer material on many masks). Probably one of my biggest reason for liking the old mask connection is because of its lack of need to put the infamous "hole" on the visible side of the mask opposite the connector. This "hole" was a problem with so many of Bionicle's masks which often ruined many of their great designs. The only downside to the Mata masks was that they could be a little prone to falling off, especially when little kids played with them.

Second places for me would have to be the Mata heads and the Mistika mask attachment. The first, though being a bit too visible behind the masks and having no attached (already molded in) way of making the head move, looked a lot better than any of the fully transparent heads ever did and could have extra parts added to it to easily make it move. The second, allowed for a sturdy attachment and didn't ruin the masks with that awful "hole" on the mouth. It's only downside being the axle could stay on the head rather than in the mask when taken off (and thus, be a bit of a bother).

I'd say my favourite head piece was the one that was introduced with the Toa Metru. I've always preferred to have the eyes seperare from the actual head. Also the axle connection prevented the new masks from falling off as easily as the ones we got before. I don't like the glatorian or Av Matoran heads too much for the reason that they just look odd without wearing a mask/helmet. Sure, they're great for moccing but they're not as asthaetically pleasing.

So I think they all have their pros, but I personally like the Metru head the most.

Hail Denmark

Metru style head and masks with the elongated eyes pieces. Those half eye pieces from what, 2007 I think, we're weird when you looked at them from the back. Anyway, back to heads. I feel the Metru heads stayed around for so long because of their versatility, and you can see how things evolved around them, such as the blue visors also from 2007, the small eye pieces, and even how Metru style masks also slightly changed like with Tahu. However, the heads themselves stayed the same. They were just as ugly as the Mata heads though. 

“We all change. When you think about it, we're all different people all through our lives. And that's okay. That's good. You gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be."

-The Doctor

As has been stated, the Metru heads are definitely technically the best. I really didn't like 'heads' that had no face beneath the mask (looking at you, Inika). The Glatorian heads had better articulation than the Metru, but looked like cheap plastic.

But I definitely personally prefer the Mata mask connections, as the gimmick of the Rahi and Bohrok knockin' their masks off was excellent fun. Good times  ^_^

Edited by Airoski

I never had any of the older bionicles so I dont know what the toa metru heads are like that everyone else is talking about.

I have to say the toa inika masks are my favorite because they are the most unique out of all of them. Although they are not the best masks, they still stand out compared to others because their design

My favorite mask connectors on the other hand are the glatorian connectors because of the simple design.

I'd have to say my favorite boneheads ate the Mata heads, they have my favorite mask connection as the original masks looked more tribal and there were plenty of variety with them too. The downside to the Mata head though is that you cannot remove the eyes which can be troublesome.

Definetly Toa Metru head and Metru mask connection. They hold up masks better, and differentiate Matoran from Toa. It's a shame that 2001~2003 masks doesn't look good on Metru Heads tho, because it reveals a lot of the head.

Edited by HoloTheWise